“1st Time in Mexico”
Review of Gran Porto Resort

Gran Porto Resort
Ranked #34 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I took my wife to Mexico for her 13th birthday (really her 52nd) she is a leap year baby. This was a suprise trip and I had no idea what to expect after putting all my faith in our travel agent. I am not sure where to start. This place was amazing. The facility was beautiful and spotless. The workers were all constantly cleaning and preparing the hotel for the guest. The whole staff were the nicest & most caring people I beleive I have ever meant. They were all so polite & accommodating making sure that we wanted for nothing and that we understood all of the do's and dont's of the area.The food was endless as well as awesome and we had a great selection of resturant to choose from. I espeacially want to reconmmend our new friends Miguel, Filiberto & Auila. These employees were outstanding and in my book and are a huge asset to this resort. We are already trying to decide when we can go back. This is a 5 star + resort for us!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RDE_59

Reviewed 6 March 2012

Spent 1 week vacation at the GPR Resort and it was a great hoilday! The food is excellent and the rooms are very very clean.... The waiters give you great service and so very helpful with getting you any drink you want.....

All activites are there for you to use, DO see Miguel Morales head of the Animation Group for any assistance you may need, he will help you! His team works very hard all day with activities, sports, bingo, mixology, spanish lessons water sports and then at night they do the
entertainment show for you to enjoy and particpate in you so desire... do it ! It is alot of FUN!!

WE are back in Playa in April for a wedding and will be staying at the same resort, over 80 of us will be there at the same Hotel... Great Job Mikey and your Team, keep up the good work!!

Reviewed 6 March 2012

Although the vacation started out kinda dissapointing with our rooms not being available for a few hours we had an amazing time. The staff and Crew deffanitly made up for our inconvenience. Our Fav bar was the swim up bar with Dave HE IS AWESOME!!!! we were very sad to say goodbye. If you do go visit him make sure to ask for "the Dave" or the "Carolina" for a drink and he will hook you up with some amazing drinks. Frank was very nice always seen with a smile on his face as well as Edwardo who made it his goal to teach us as much spanish during the week as possible. Ceaser and Ivan did an excellent job at entertaining us and makeing sure that we had the best seats for the great shows they put on every night.We had a fantastic room outside the swim up bar and it was cleaned by the fantastic Simona. When the swim up bar closed at 5 we would head over to the bar beside the main pool and pay a visit to Hector and Miguel who danced and sang (under much begging from us) and provided us with mystery drinks whenever we asked him to :"suprise us".In the Albatros we were served by the wonderful Waiter and Waitresses like Jorge and Jaurez who were always so welcoming with a smile on their face and of course Rodiver,May,Luis. Saying goodbye was very sad at the end of the trip we will hopefully be back again to be entertained and served by these amazing people. The company and Hotel should be very proud to have such amazing workers and should never let them go! What could have been a bad trip due to our "troubles" in the begining turned out to be a trip that I will always remember THANK YOU DAVE,SIMONA,MIGUEL,FRANK,HECTOR,IVAN.CEASER,JORGE AND JAUREZ you made our trip unforgettable...see you again soon hopefully ADIOS!!

Room Tip: Beinging near the swim up bar was fantastic beacuse it was never to crowded and you didnt have to go...
Reviewed 6 March 2012

This hotel had such great reviwes that I was excited to stay there. Big surprise when we did! Our "ocean view" was not an ocean view. Our shower flooded, oyr toliet broke, our safe broke, our keys never worked, the maid left out door ajar. There were hardly ever towels pool side. Now I can under all the sand bags because of the hurricane but it was a bit unsightly. Much of their beach is gone.
The food was about the wort of AI I have ever had. The Itallian restaurant was just ok. I'm mystified by all the good reviews. When I would sau something to the staff about all the things that were going wrong they always had an excuse OR they would just stare at me.
We were VERY disappointed by our stay. I have stayed at about 10 different AI's all over Mexico and this is the bottom of the list. The only thing that was nice was that you could walk to the avennue in about 2 minutes. We even paid to have dinner elsewhere because the food was SO bad.
Hopefully I was just there on an off week. The weather was beautiful!

Room Tip: we choose the ocean view suite with 2 beds. We got a view of the hotel next to us and 1 bed. So I...
2  Thank lisak_8
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Like the location... LIked the price..Liked the food...

Reviewed 6 March 2012

not the best italian but pretty amazing. All the staff are very friendly over there and give you a great expanation of the different foods

Reviewed 5 March 2012

There is not a resort in the world that everyone will enjoy. This review is why we like this resort. I just celebrated my 50th birthday at this resort with my wife and two sons who are in their mid twenties. My wife and I had been here twice before but this was our sons first time. To be honest we have never stayed at any other resort in Mexico. I often ask people while I’m there if they have stayed at others resorts in Mexico and how they compare. Overwhelming people tell me this is the best resort they have stayed at.
The food is very good. I must say that one year we had an upgrade that allowed us to use the facilities at the hotel next door (Royal). I can tell you that the Asiana & Pelicanos at the Royal are fantastic dining experiences. Besides dining at the Royal we enjoyed the Gran Porta much more because it fits us. The atmosphere at the Royal would appeal to people that enjoy a more upper class resort experience, but to us it felt stuffy. This is why we like the Gran Porta Real. It has a fun, warm family feeling. The staff is awesome, they take time to get to know you, they will joke with you and laugh with you, they go out of their way to make sure you are needs are fulfilled and you’re having a good time. Each time we vacation there we get to know different staff members a little more than others. All the staff deserves recognition for providing such great hospitality. This time a few stand out, Jose (Lobby Bartender) & Miguel (Pool Bartender) are great! Always smiling and will make you just about anything you want. Cecilia & Elizabeth (Servers) were also wonderful! I have been teaching myself Spanish since our first trip to this resort and Cecilia & Elizabeth took the time to help me with my Spanish.
So once again we had a great time! Because of the resort’s warm personality I believe it attracts that type of quest which makes the whole vacation so much more enjoyable. We always meet so many great people when we vacation at the Gran Porta Real.

Suggestion: I think it would great if when you stay at the Gran Porta Real for a certain number of days that one day should be an upgrade to try the facilities at the Royal. And they should do the same thing for the guest at the Real should have a day at the Gran Porta Real just to see what the resort is like and try the different restaurants. The Gran Porta Real was at full capacity during this our stay, however we never felt we had a long wait for dinner at any of the restaurants so I can’t imagine it would create a problem with a one day upgrade.

Room Tip: We have stayed in five rooms at this resort. First time was in 2009, Rm255 Junior Suite Ocean Front...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family