“Our week at the Gran Porto Real Resort, Playa del Carmen”
Review of Gran Porto Resort

Gran Porto Resort
Ranked #30 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
kanata
“Our week at the Gran Porto Real Resort, Playa del Carmen”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The hotel was clean; staff friendly; wide variety of tasty foods in restaurant; could use more cabanas for shade on the beach; beach is long with beautiful white sand; hotel had interesting nightly entertainment. We commend especially Moreno and Camacho in the diningroom as friendly, efficient, accommodating, fast service, who spoke excellent English.
We definately would go back again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,712)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Great selection and delicious food at Il Pescatore. We've eaten here a number of times and it is always consistently delicious. Try the Risotto and the Canneloni.

Sparwood Bc Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I loved this hotel!!!!! It is on the smaller side, however, I liked this because everything was central, and I didnt have to pack a day bag just because my room was so far away. The staff are absolutely amazing, friendly, helpful and attentive. Everyone from the recreation staff to the lifegaurds, bar tenders and cleaning staff would acknowledge you with a greeting whether you were in the hallway, at the pool or buffet. The bar tending staff and waiters/waitresses that brought u drinks on the beach and pool side were always polite and friendly and I never got the feeling that they expected a tip. I did tip often of course, but because I wanted to, not because they made me feel I had to. The entire hotel staff also worked very much like a team to keep the hotel running smoothly and well kept. For example,one of the lifeguards/night guard staff Alexis helped deter an unwanted and innappropriate male seeker from my friend in an appropriate and diplomatic, but non attention grabbing way, making my friend feel comfortable and safe, also without embarrsesing the male seeker. We also saw him picking up empty cups from around the pool side to keep the area clean. He helped another friend cut her ring off when her finger was too swollen to get it off herself. He didnt have the tools at his station but went out of his way to find one that worked. Again, going above and beyond his job description, and was happy to do it. The outdoor bar tenders were all amazing with vasts amounts of knowledge in making fruity, colorful, tasty drinks. Although they were all friendly and happy to help, Avila, Miguel, Cmoreno and Filiberto were the night staff we most often saw. They would joke with us, and dance, and were very nice company to have. I didnt visit the indoor bar, but I would have no doubts that the staff there are just as fun. The recreation staff were full of life and it was obvious they loved thier job. Chicken, Ivan and James entertained all day long by getting people at the hotel involved in water areobics, salsa dancing, beach and water volley ball, daily competitions including belly flops, paper air plane toss and volley ball down 2 ropes into a bucket. They were always joking and having fun and they extended this additude to all the guests including the children and elderly people. No one was excluded. The night time entertainment was always interesting beginning with a show for children which was interactive. Then amazing adult shows with acrobats, dancers and singers. It was a whole show on stage with bright colorful lights, music and props. Each entertainer was well practiced and you could tell they took pride in their skills. The hotel didnt hire just anyone to perform the nightly entertainment. Our room cleaning staff, Angela was fantastic as well! In addition to regular cleaning and bed making, she made decorations out of towels, arranged our shoes neatly against the wall and restocked our fridge daily.

Other perks of this hotel was the 24 hour buffet and bar. You could access booze and food at any time in the day or night. The food was great and there was always variety.The outdoor buffet on the beach was amazing as well, a huge 4 sided hut in which you could access nachos with guacamole, fresh salsa and cheese, quesidas, hot dogs, hambergers, fries, mini sandwhiches, fruit...the list goes on. The plates were in a sealed container so there was never any sand on them and again with the cleanliness, all the food was well covered and maintained. I made daily visits to the sushi bar as well. there was great variety each day and it tasted wonderful. The main buffet inside the hotel was huge with so much selection of each type of food (fruit, juice, salads, pastas, meat, ) I know I wasnt able to try everything. Our el a cart dinners were fabulous, and I was so happy we didnt have to prebook them. I liked this because we didnt have to plan our day around being ready for dinner at a certain time. We just went on the days that worked for us. There was Italian, Mexican and a steakhouse house el a cart.

The list of activiites are huge and water sports including boogie boards and the catameran were free. I went parasailing and it was incredible!!

I really liked that the lobby had free wi-fi. So i could use facebook, email, internet for free all the way back home from mexico while I was in the lobby. This gave me the opportunity to skype and facetime my family back at home for free, unrushed and very comforting. I was told on the plane home by a lady at a different resort that they had to buy a internet card for $15.00 and it was only good for THAT day! Another handy thing was being able to exchange money right at the hotel with people. Pesos and american money. I didnt have to look for a bank machine, although there is one on the resort. But with dealing with people there were no bank fees. The hotel is located 2 blocks from 5th ave which is filled with shopping! Super convienient. My friend lost her nose ring and needed one immediately. She was able to leave in the moment and walk 2 blocks to get her ring instead of getting a cab, which would of cost money and precious time. I had fun shopping on 5th ave, 22 blocks of market and resturaunts. Thats where i got all my souvieniers.

Overall, I can say that I absolutely loved this hotel, the people and the amazing opportunities and experiences I gained. I'd definately go back and in fact Im scared that now that ive had this wonderful experience with the staff and hotel perks in general, i have very high expectations for my next trip if i do go somewhere else, and if it doesnt meet them, i will be dissappointed.

The atmosphere was so fun and friendly and I'd definately come back and bring my children, This was a 4 girlfriends trip, and we felt like we could enjoy drinks by the pool, and the kids and other guest could have their fun space as well. There's something for all of us.

The only negative thing id say is that being on the first floor, sound echos. So i slept better with my ear plugs in then my friend who did not have any.

Room Tip: Ocean front faces the pool and ocean. The other views face the street and "quiet pool". Al...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My husband and I just returned from a one week stay at the Gran Porto Real. We have stayed at several other all inclusives and this resort is second to none. Upon arrival we were greeted with a welcoming drink and taken to our oceanview room. Although the room was slightly dated and in need of some touch ups, it was very clean and welcoming. The entire staff is wonderful and works hard to make it a fantastic vacation for you. A big thank you to Alfredo, Jose, Jamie, Isreal, Jorje and David. The food in the buffet was great. There is something for everyone as there is so much variety. We visited both of the a la carte restaurants twice and especially enjoyed the Italian restaurant. The food was delicious. We spent most of our time at the beach and were always able to find a vacant chair. The hotel location is great. We enjoyed the short walk to 5th Avenue. My husband went on a snorkeling trip. He had a blast. Nacho was a terrific guide and driver. We would definitely return to the Gran and recommend it to family and friends.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an oceanview room if you can as the standard rooms are all inside rooms and have no outsi...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank CanadaTraveller123
Lagos, Portugal
Reviewed 31 March 2012

The food was great, if you like your meat meduim ask for it well done, the steak was always nice, ask them to leave the bottle of wine they never poor enough.

Lagos, Portugal
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Where do I begin!
The hotel is five star & it is five star, the hotel is spotless, the staff are so friendly & accomodating.
The pools are warm & clean but get there early for a lounger, everything was provided, hair dryer, iron, beach towels & toiletries it was all great.
The food was wonderful & I would recommend the Italian, the Mexican was not typical Mexican & could do with a change of menu.
The hotel buffet was always full, fresh & lots of choice.
Within walking distance to 5th Avenue, the Mandalay night club is a must do while you are there.
I would like to mention Dave at the sushi bar, he is great & very good at what he does, Antonio & Jamie in the buffet restaurant he is a real character, I must mention Chocho in the buffet he was exceptional Jose, Nicolas & Mirian at the Lobby bar are a good team & we had some good nights with the puzzels.
We just had the best time from start to fininsh.
If I could complain about anything it would be the sea! it does not go very deep to swim but hey ho never mind you can't have everything.
We were the only English there at one point, out number by the Americans & Canadians, so come the Brits its a must! go visist this hotel & have a great time.
Debby Wray (UK)

Room Tip: The third floor was great for couples, we were oposite the swim up pool, Dave was great he looked af...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 30 March 2012

The resort was lovely. It was clean, and the food and drink were good. There were a lot of activities. The service was fantastic. The staff were fun and welcoming and dedicated to meeting your needs. We will be going back.
The Underwater Technical World group for snorkeling and diving were fantastic. I can't say enough about this group. They were professional, knowledgeable, and fun. My mom and I and an 11 year old boy went on our first dive with Victor. He was absolutely wonderful. He really knew his stuff. He was patient with us as we learned the skills needed for a safe dive. The open water dive was the most amazing experience of my life. I am anxious to return with my 12 year old son. I am confident in Victor's skill and knowledge and feel that my boy would be safe with him.
Our snorkel trip was also fantastic. Ricardo was a great guide.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family