“Good, not Great. Head over the Road...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Gran Porto Resort

Gran Porto Resort
Ranked #30 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Good, not Great. Head over the Road...”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Before I start my review, I read Trip Advisor religiously both before we booked our holiday to check what other travellers thought and then even when we had booked, I kept checking back to make sure you guys were all still in agreement! I knew all about the pros and cons of the hotel from the tactics used for upgrades, sandbags on the beach, night time activities and 'ocean view' rooms so without any prejudice here is my honest review of the Gran Porto

We had booked for a two week holiday and prior to arriving had contacted the hotel to request a high floor, quiet room, king size bed and a nice view. By and large the requests were accomodated with Room 206 on the 2nd floor, overlooking the street (which was quiet), with a king size bed and a slight view of the ocean.

The check in was relatively painless, no mention of upgrades of any kind, just a welcome drink and the concierge asking whether we were celebrating anything special while we were there.

Upon arrival at our room, it was pleasant but did not have the wow factor. King size bed, large flatscreen TV, though there was a slight musty smell and whilst you could argue that it was 'traditional' that could be roughly translated as in need of a renovation. Min bar had soft drinks and beer in there, and later in the evening the hotel brought around a welcome bottle of wine and a basket of fruit. A nice touch I thought.

That aside we were glad to be there and were so looking forward to our time there. We went for a look around and met with Guest Services who were very friendly and took the time to give us information on the resort and daily activities.

We ate in the Albatros buffet on the first night, which was a Tex Mex feast and thinking back to some of the food comments, there was some great food on offer but some of the plates you weren't too sure what it was.

We sat in the lounge bar that night and bearing in mind it was St Patrick's Day we were perhaps expecting a bit of life, though aside from a small lounge band that played until 10 followed by a show in the pool area, that I have to agree with other travellers. I wouldn't go as far as 'lame' or 'amateurish' but would suggest that the hotel needs to review their entertainment schedule and look at providing something that concentrates on entertainment. Once the show had finished, the jet lag was starting to take affect and decided that the tomorrow was another day.

On Day 2, we headed to the relatively small pool area and managed to grab what looked to be the only two available chairs by the pool (it was 9am) and spent a pleasant day by the pool. I went for a walk during the day and saw the beach and saw the scale of the sandbags (difficult to ignore) and rocks in the ocean. Not the greatest beach but by no means not bad. I happened to stroll onto the Royal beach and my mind started to wander....
That night we visited the Italian restaurant Il Pescatore, which we found was a bit limited in terms of the menu, with the intimate, smart atmosphere dominated by two tables have a singing contest which drowned out any chance of having a nice dinner. After the meal, we headed to the pool bar to see if there was any activity in there. Bearing in mind it was 10pm, there were about six people there, most of them looking like they were 4 hours past their bedtime.

We then decided when heading back to the room to enquire with the front desk about whether we could move room to counter the slight smell in there just to check our options. Basically because of Spring Break there weren't any, except for "Upgrading to the Royal". - Seriously, the greatest piece of holiday advice that receptionist could have given us. As soon as the name was uttered I thought back to when I was booking and thought it would be way out of out price range but they mentioned an offer of $40 per night extra to move across, instead of the usual $80-90 extra.

As we had twelve days left we decided to jump at the chance and headed over the road the next morning. If you are interested how the two compare for $40 per night extra then please read my review on The Royal "Absolutely Excellent! So pleased we headed over the Road"

Otherwise for those of you guys keen on staying at the Gran Porto, don't let me or anyone else put you off, instead look at the comments and decide whether the things that are mentioned matter to you.

Also bear in mind that we were going to be there for 2 weeks so needed to make sure the restaurants and activities were top notch. Those of you just going for a few days as it is close to home then this may be ideal;

Pros

Check In
Staff
Location
Beach front

Cons
Restaurant choice
Evening activity
'Traditional feel'

I think my rating is fair. Both because I wasn't there long enough to mark really low or really high but thought in the time we were there we got a clear view of the place and decided due to the availability of a good upgrade offer to make the switch. If you get the same offer, take it!!

If you look at my past reviews, I try not to be unfairfly critical and hope that I haven't been on this occasion. We were in the fortunate position to be able to stay in both hotels and review their merits accordingly, so wanted to pass on this comparison in the best way possible

Room Tip: Go for high floor and quiet room. High room to us was only the 2nd floor but at least not on the sam...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank chrisgriff6191

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,691)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 2 April 2012

It was a great meal and a beautiful restaurant, loved the owner and co owner her dog. The kitchen was amazing to watch. Everything is made from scratch. Fabulous and must.

kanata
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The hotel was clean; staff friendly; wide variety of tasty foods in restaurant; could use more cabanas for shade on the beach; beach is long with beautiful white sand; hotel had interesting nightly entertainment. We commend especially Moreno and Camacho in the diningroom as friendly, efficient, accommodating, fast service, who spoke excellent English.
We definately would go back again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Great selection and delicious food at Il Pescatore. We've eaten here a number of times and it is always consistently delicious. Try the Risotto and the Canneloni.

Sparwood Bc Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I loved this hotel!!!!! It is on the smaller side, however, I liked this because everything was central, and I didnt have to pack a day bag just because my room was so far away. The staff are absolutely amazing, friendly, helpful and attentive. Everyone from the recreation staff to the lifegaurds, bar tenders and cleaning staff would acknowledge you with a greeting whether you were in the hallway, at the pool or buffet. The bar tending staff and waiters/waitresses that brought u drinks on the beach and pool side were always polite and friendly and I never got the feeling that they expected a tip. I did tip often of course, but because I wanted to, not because they made me feel I had to. The entire hotel staff also worked very much like a team to keep the hotel running smoothly and well kept. For example,one of the lifeguards/night guard staff Alexis helped deter an unwanted and innappropriate male seeker from my friend in an appropriate and diplomatic, but non attention grabbing way, making my friend feel comfortable and safe, also without embarrsesing the male seeker. We also saw him picking up empty cups from around the pool side to keep the area clean. He helped another friend cut her ring off when her finger was too swollen to get it off herself. He didnt have the tools at his station but went out of his way to find one that worked. Again, going above and beyond his job description, and was happy to do it. The outdoor bar tenders were all amazing with vasts amounts of knowledge in making fruity, colorful, tasty drinks. Although they were all friendly and happy to help, Avila, Miguel, Cmoreno and Filiberto were the night staff we most often saw. They would joke with us, and dance, and were very nice company to have. I didnt visit the indoor bar, but I would have no doubts that the staff there are just as fun. The recreation staff were full of life and it was obvious they loved thier job. Chicken, Ivan and James entertained all day long by getting people at the hotel involved in water areobics, salsa dancing, beach and water volley ball, daily competitions including belly flops, paper air plane toss and volley ball down 2 ropes into a bucket. They were always joking and having fun and they extended this additude to all the guests including the children and elderly people. No one was excluded. The night time entertainment was always interesting beginning with a show for children which was interactive. Then amazing adult shows with acrobats, dancers and singers. It was a whole show on stage with bright colorful lights, music and props. Each entertainer was well practiced and you could tell they took pride in their skills. The hotel didnt hire just anyone to perform the nightly entertainment. Our room cleaning staff, Angela was fantastic as well! In addition to regular cleaning and bed making, she made decorations out of towels, arranged our shoes neatly against the wall and restocked our fridge daily.

Other perks of this hotel was the 24 hour buffet and bar. You could access booze and food at any time in the day or night. The food was great and there was always variety.The outdoor buffet on the beach was amazing as well, a huge 4 sided hut in which you could access nachos with guacamole, fresh salsa and cheese, quesidas, hot dogs, hambergers, fries, mini sandwhiches, fruit...the list goes on. The plates were in a sealed container so there was never any sand on them and again with the cleanliness, all the food was well covered and maintained. I made daily visits to the sushi bar as well. there was great variety each day and it tasted wonderful. The main buffet inside the hotel was huge with so much selection of each type of food (fruit, juice, salads, pastas, meat, ) I know I wasnt able to try everything. Our el a cart dinners were fabulous, and I was so happy we didnt have to prebook them. I liked this because we didnt have to plan our day around being ready for dinner at a certain time. We just went on the days that worked for us. There was Italian, Mexican and a steakhouse house el a cart.

The list of activiites are huge and water sports including boogie boards and the catameran were free. I went parasailing and it was incredible!!

I really liked that the lobby had free wi-fi. So i could use facebook, email, internet for free all the way back home from mexico while I was in the lobby. This gave me the opportunity to skype and facetime my family back at home for free, unrushed and very comforting. I was told on the plane home by a lady at a different resort that they had to buy a internet card for $15.00 and it was only good for THAT day! Another handy thing was being able to exchange money right at the hotel with people. Pesos and american money. I didnt have to look for a bank machine, although there is one on the resort. But with dealing with people there were no bank fees. The hotel is located 2 blocks from 5th ave which is filled with shopping! Super convienient. My friend lost her nose ring and needed one immediately. She was able to leave in the moment and walk 2 blocks to get her ring instead of getting a cab, which would of cost money and precious time. I had fun shopping on 5th ave, 22 blocks of market and resturaunts. Thats where i got all my souvieniers.

Overall, I can say that I absolutely loved this hotel, the people and the amazing opportunities and experiences I gained. I'd definately go back and in fact Im scared that now that ive had this wonderful experience with the staff and hotel perks in general, i have very high expectations for my next trip if i do go somewhere else, and if it doesnt meet them, i will be dissappointed.

The atmosphere was so fun and friendly and I'd definately come back and bring my children, This was a 4 girlfriends trip, and we felt like we could enjoy drinks by the pool, and the kids and other guest could have their fun space as well. There's something for all of us.

The only negative thing id say is that being on the first floor, sound echos. So i slept better with my ear plugs in then my friend who did not have any.

Room Tip: Ocean front faces the pool and ocean. The other views face the street and "quiet pool". Al...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My husband and I just returned from a one week stay at the Gran Porto Real. We have stayed at several other all inclusives and this resort is second to none. Upon arrival we were greeted with a welcoming drink and taken to our oceanview room. Although the room was slightly dated and in need of some touch ups, it was very clean and welcoming. The entire staff is wonderful and works hard to make it a fantastic vacation for you. A big thank you to Alfredo, Jose, Jamie, Isreal, Jorje and David. The food in the buffet was great. There is something for everyone as there is so much variety. We visited both of the a la carte restaurants twice and especially enjoyed the Italian restaurant. The food was delicious. We spent most of our time at the beach and were always able to find a vacant chair. The hotel location is great. We enjoyed the short walk to 5th Avenue. My husband went on a snorkeling trip. He had a blast. Nacho was a terrific guide and driver. We would definitely return to the Gran and recommend it to family and friends.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an oceanview room if you can as the standard rooms are all inside rooms and have no outsi...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank CanadaTraveller123
Lagos, Portugal
Reviewed 31 March 2012

The food was great, if you like your meat meduim ask for it well done, the steak was always nice, ask them to leave the bottle of wine they never poor enough.