Just came back from a 5 night visit to Gran Porto Real (April 10-16, 2012) and had a wonderful time! Went with my 3 children ages 13,and twin 7 year olds. The hotel is immaculately kept, rooms very clean and nicely appointed. Had a very Mayan feel to the room. Stayed in an Oceanfront Junior Family Suite which was rather large and comfy...beautiful view of the ocean and pool. Buffet restaurant was average for lunch and dinner but was wonderful for breakfast. Definitely visit the other restaurants on property: Maria's Mexican and Il Pescatore-Italian.We ate at each restaurant twice we loved it so much. Hotel is within 1 block of the 5th Ave shopping area. We loved the "Old" 5th Ave side; "new side" had a lot of restaurants. One of my 7 year old twins LOVED the kid's club...couldn't keep him out of there. Felt very safe leaving him there and he was entertained for hours. The girls that run the kids club are all wonderful. The entire staff goes out of their way to accommodate your needs.
Must be honest about 2 negative points: Hope you are an early riser because if you want lounge chairs by the pool you have to get up VERY early. I would go down at 6:30 am to find EVERY lounge chair taken. People told me that they go down at 4:30 am and most of the chairs are taken even at that un-Godly hour. I refuse to get up that early on vacation to get a chair!!! The hotel really needs to institute some sort of policy to rectify this problem . Most of the days there we were "lucky" to have 2 chairs to share with 5....yes 5 people!!!
Second negative issue.....the sandbags that one must walk over to get into the ocean which is quite rocky in many places. At least half of the sandbags were green and slimy and unless you had on water shoes it was pretty gross!!! I love the ocean and unfortunately only went in once. So I sat on one of the 2 lounge chairs we were able to procure!
Would I stay at Gran Porto again.....probably but the above issue with the lounge chairs by the pool must be rectified. Many guests were very upset.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On a beautiful, protected stretch of pristine beach in the heart of Playa del Carmen stands the spectacular Gran Porto Resort, just steps from Fifth Avenue's shops, clubs, and restaurants. Architecturally reminiscent of one of Mexico's finest haciendas, the resort welcomes couples, families, friends, and colleagues to the warm Caribbean breezes and azure seas of the Riviera Maya, where guests can experience the region's cultural heritage, relish all-inclusive luxuries, and enjoy genuine hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Otel, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Gran Porto Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Porto Real Hotel
- Gran Porto Real Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel Gran Porto Real
- Gran Porto Real Resort Spa
- Porto Real
- Grand Porto Real Playa Del Carmen
- Gran Porto Real Mexico
- Gran Porto Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico