“We will be back............”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gran Porto Resort

Gran Porto Resort
Ranked #30 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
ontario canada
“We will be back............”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

We recently returned from a one week stay at Gran Porto Real. This is our second time that we have stayed here (last time in Aug 2012). Overall I enjoyed our stay. We were assigned an Jr Suite ocean view room that was just redecorated last Aug. The room was beautiful, large, clean and the bathrooms now have a nice brown-tan-white tiles (replacing the very ornate blue and white tiles), very nice. Good job!
The meals here are excellent and the presented beautifully. We ate a few times at the Italian restaurant (where you now need a reservation a change since last year). We also very much enjoyed the sushi bar that is located upstairs beside the 2nd pool….thank you to the sushi chef MARTIN and the waiter ADAL…you two are the best!
Another employee that needs to be mentioned is PABLO (our pool waiter); you are amazing and made our trip fun. Keep up the good work Pablo. Also ERICK from the social team around the pool, one very nice guy with an amazing personality.
One thing that we did wrong is not taking the time to read the weekly entertainment paper that was given to us when we checked in. If we had we would have made arrangements to go to the beach front dinner that is held once a week…it looked beautiful and I am so sorry we missed it……our mistake. Next time for sure.
Just a few comments that I have about changes from last year to this year. First, last year we were introduced to Licor 43 at the Gran Porto Real (a baby beer drink). We cannot buy it where we live so I was so looking forward to having it again. Well this year it seems like Licor 43 is gold now. Last year every bar had a bottle of it, this year no bar had it available. Later I did discover that if you mention it a few times to the bartender they would reach to the back of a cupboard and bring this “gold” out. Not sure why they made this change but I am not happy, it should be available just like last year. One other thing (and a few others have mentioned this also) I wonder about the booze they serve. Last year we had the same amount of drinks and got a nice happy feeling; this year same amount of drinks and nothing……is the liquor watered down or not the same quality????
One more issue a lot of people bring up is the beach front here. Yes there are sandbags; they are here to help to stop/slow down the erosion of the beach front. This is not the hotels fault; it is just the way the water comes into the beach here (I think because of the pier beside the hotel). I believe they are trying their best to stop this problem. I noticed a big difference since last year, a lot of beach was gone. Very sad. We found that we just walked a short distance down the beach (either direction) and the beach was beautiful for swimming.
Overall I would rate our vacation 9.5 out of 10. I love it here and I am sure we will return again next year. Thanks and keep up the good work.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,692)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

My husband and I just returned from another fantastic trip at the Gran Porto Real. A few months prior to our trip, I e-mailed the general manager, Nico, to ask for a few special requests for myself and my brother-in-law & sister-in-law, who were also traveling with us. Again, about a week before our trip I e-mailed him to check on a few things. The conversation with Nico was very pleasant, and everything I asked for, I received. My husband & I requested room 329, which was the room we spent our honeymoon in. I received another e-mail from Nico, the day before leaving with our room assignments & who to ask for upon check-in.

Check in was seem less, and we were in our rooms within 10minutes of checking into the hotel. Our first couple days consisted of sitting in the lobby bar, we didn't exactly pick the best weather week, as a tropical storm planted itself above us. The entertainment staff at the hotel did an AMAZING job keeping everyone entertained. One gentlemen sat down with my sister-in-law & I for awhile answering all our questions about Mexico, telling us about himself, the hotel, and asking us questions. I sure wish I could remember his name, but he was fantastic. All the bartenders and servers were very prompt, funny, and fantastic.

The food was delicious! We ate breakfast at Albatros every morning (with the exception of one morning, when we ordered room service...also fantastic!). I can't get enough of the omelets and bacon..yum! We ate at Albatros twice for dinner, once was Asian flare, and the other was Italian. Both times the food was fantastic! We ate el pescatore one time, and once again, the food did not disappoint. But our absolute favorite was Maria's.....We ate there 2 nights in a row, 2nd night was our 4th wedding anniversary. We were treated like royalty by our fantastic waiter Joaquin! Joaquin knows how to get the party going, and had us all laughing. When we complimented him on the fabulous drinks and delicious food, he personally brought out the chef and bartender and introduced them to us. We highly recommend Maria's, and Joaquin!

Our room was fantastic, drinks were perfect, food was delicious, and we couldn't ask for better staff and service. The gran porto real is such an awesome hotel. The small size of the hotel in right off 5th avenue makes it feel like it's much larger. I would highly recommend the gran porto real to everyone!

Thanks,
Stacie Lynn
9/8/13-9/13/13

Room Tip: This was our second time in room 329, great view, and great room. My brother & sister-in-law wer...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KCStacers
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Just back from Porto Real on Saturday..I must say I was a little disappointed. I had stayed at this property twice before about 10 years ago . I had booked an Ocean View Jr. suite as I assumed from experience there was an ocean side and a street side. I always stay on the the Ocean and love waking up and opening the drapes to see the beautiful Caribbean.

This time after leaving for the airport at 3:30am ...Toronto first and then Cancun...etc finally arrive ...at check in we were immediately asked if we wanted to Upgrade and go to The Royal across the street as it is much nicer I was told. I new it was nicer but was fairly pleased with Porto Real last time so said no..then they try to get you to upgrade your room type..again I said No thanks as I knew I had booked an ocean view suite so was not concerned. When we finally got upstairs ( #324) ...I looked out the window to see the ocean view and instead was looking straight at The Royal. If I went out on the balcony and turned to the right I could see the ocean down the street. Not at all what I had imagined. I decided to let it go as it was technically an ocean view in their definition from the balcony and I was on a budget so did not want to spend more money. It ended up pouring rain for the entire 7 days so more time was spent in the room then expected. By Monday morning construction had started below our room on the first floor. 4 - 5 guest rooms were being renovated including the removal of tile with a jack hammer. The Jack hammer was used all day until approx 8 pm. I spent 20 years in the hotel business and when construction is happening ..that area of the hotel is blocked and guests are placed away from the noise. They also had a small wooden hut created by the pool where they also used a jack hammer. By Tuesday night I decided that this was enough and went to the front desk to ask to be moved. I mentioned the construction and was told there was no construction ..they were just moving furniture. I have video of the construction . I was told we could be moved the following morning. The room was ocean front (#366)...and was perfect. So was able to enjoy a few days here before checking out. I feel like they are placing guests in rooms that are not great to force them to upgrade and pay a fee. At this time of year .this is crazy as the hotel was not full and there was no need to place people in bad rooms. The beach is also a mess. You cannot swim in their beach due to erosion and rocks in the water. Last time I was there you could. Had a nice massage on the beach which was nice. On a lighter note we managed to have a bit of fun in the rain and also want to point out two outstanding employees... Calais a waiter at the pool was incredible and Arturo in the entertainment group. Both were exceptional. This hotel used to be very high end but now it caters to more family and doesn't have the same flair. They don't have straws in their drinks anymore either which was a little odd. The beds were not that comfortable either and the duvets were very heavy.

Room Tip: ask for Ocean front.... other rooms are in back of hotel .
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Hartlepool
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Don't know where to start???
From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with smiling faces. Easy check in and lovely room. We had booked the junior suite and decided not to upgrade as the room had everything we needed.
Staff could not do enough for you and were always on hand to give you everything you needed
Little comments on Restaurants ~ Around the pool you could get hotdogs, burgers, chips, salad and various other snacks. 24 hour snack bar was our favourite with loads of choices of food made available and Victor was a very helpful and pleasant gentleman, We ate at Marias, Il pescatore twice and thoroughly enjoyed the meals. Albatros was the main restaurant in the hotel and once again was always greeted with a smile by Luisa. All the waiters were on hand to ensure you had everything you required.
During the day lots of activities were taken place and the entertainment team ensured everyone joined in. On a few occasions during our holiday we had rain but the entertainment did not stop ~ games were organised for inside the hotel including board games & table tennis tournament. Special mention goes to Arturo and Angie who helped make our holiday special and went out of their way to do so!!
We went on various trips including Xcaret, Tulum and Coba & Chichen Itza. You can book all of these trips with the hotel or Rep but we found the little Kiosk on the pier just beside the hotel to be very helpful and worked out a lot cheaper but you do need to do a little haggling as the prices will start off the same as elsewhere. We also booked a 5 hour fishing trip with 'Go Fish' which seen us fishing for 3 hours than 1 hour snorkelling finished off with lunch on the beach.
Having read various negative comments before we booked including the sandbags on the beach I would like to say we had a very enjoyable holiday and the positives far out way the negatives and I would recommend this hotel to anybody thinking of going to Playa del Carmen.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Steve V
Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

My husband and I chose this hotel to get married at and it was an incredible choice! This small hotel has a big hotel feeling since it is located right on 5th avenue. All you have to do is walk right out the front door and you have hundreds of restaurants and shopping to experience. Our wedding planner (Gloria) made everything effortless. We had NO stress, everything just came together.

Room Tip: Upgrade!!!!! All the rooms are beautiful but if you upgrade your suite you can have access to the si...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

After a most fantastic two week holiday at grand porto real I would just like to say thank you on behalf of myself and my wife Lisa what a marvellous time we have had. From room maids all the way through to chefs and waiters in the kitchens you was all fantastic. The pool waiters Pablo , jimmy,Jesus and especially Avila you all made our holiday.if you read this Avila keep our vodka tonic and vodka fanta on ice see you next year. Victor in 24 hour bar your a star and a gentleman

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Maddyros
GranPortoReal, Director General at Gran Porto Resort, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate your time to write your comments, we will be glad to host you and your family in the near future.

Sincerely

Nicolas Vazquez
Gran Porto Real
nico@realresorts.com
Hernando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stopped in there one night and were so glad we did! The caprese salad was exactly what I was looking for and my husband loved his lasagna. We would recommend you stop in and try the food. Our waiter, Ismael, was great .