We recently returned from a one week stay at Gran Porto Real. This is our second time that we have stayed here (last time in Aug 2012). Overall I enjoyed our stay. We were assigned an Jr Suite ocean view room that was just redecorated last Aug. The room was beautiful, large, clean and the bathrooms now have a nice brown-tan-white tiles (replacing the very ornate blue and white tiles), very nice. Good job!
The meals here are excellent and the presented beautifully. We ate a few times at the Italian restaurant (where you now need a reservation a change since last year). We also very much enjoyed the sushi bar that is located upstairs beside the 2nd pool….thank you to the sushi chef MARTIN and the waiter ADAL…you two are the best!
Another employee that needs to be mentioned is PABLO (our pool waiter); you are amazing and made our trip fun. Keep up the good work Pablo. Also ERICK from the social team around the pool, one very nice guy with an amazing personality.
One thing that we did wrong is not taking the time to read the weekly entertainment paper that was given to us when we checked in. If we had we would have made arrangements to go to the beach front dinner that is held once a week…it looked beautiful and I am so sorry we missed it……our mistake. Next time for sure.
Just a few comments that I have about changes from last year to this year. First, last year we were introduced to Licor 43 at the Gran Porto Real (a baby beer drink). We cannot buy it where we live so I was so looking forward to having it again. Well this year it seems like Licor 43 is gold now. Last year every bar had a bottle of it, this year no bar had it available. Later I did discover that if you mention it a few times to the bartender they would reach to the back of a cupboard and bring this “gold” out. Not sure why they made this change but I am not happy, it should be available just like last year. One other thing (and a few others have mentioned this also) I wonder about the booze they serve. Last year we had the same amount of drinks and got a nice happy feeling; this year same amount of drinks and nothing……is the liquor watered down or not the same quality????
One more issue a lot of people bring up is the beach front here. Yes there are sandbags; they are here to help to stop/slow down the erosion of the beach front. This is not the hotels fault; it is just the way the water comes into the beach here (I think because of the pier beside the hotel). I believe they are trying their best to stop this problem. I noticed a big difference since last year, a lot of beach was gone. Very sad. We found that we just walked a short distance down the beach (either direction) and the beach was beautiful for swimming.
Overall I would rate our vacation 9.5 out of 10. I love it here and I am sure we will return again next year. Thanks and keep up the good work.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On a beautiful, protected stretch of pristine beach in the heart of Playa del Carmen stands the spectacular Gran Porto Resort, just steps from Fifth Avenue's shops, clubs, and restaurants. Architecturally reminiscent of one of Mexico's finest haciendas, the resort welcomes couples, families, friends, and colleagues to the warm Caribbean breezes and azure seas of the Riviera Maya, where guests can experience the region's cultural heritage, relish all-inclusive luxuries, and enjoy genuine hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Otel, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Gran Porto Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Porto Real Hotel
- Gran Porto Real Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel Gran Porto Real
- Gran Porto Real Resort Spa
- Porto Real
- Grand Porto Real Playa Del Carmen
- Gran Porto Real Mexico
- Gran Porto Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico