New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #78 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Cincinnati
“Nice enough”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Upon arrival , I was not very impressed. As the week went on I liked it more and more. I kept reminding myself that the vacation was very reasonably priced, and we got what we paid for. The positives- the staff worked diligently to provide a clean and safe environment. There was a lot of security and that was reassuring. The food was the same each day, but my family really liked it and it was very good. We ate in the Portofino restaurant one evening ( reservation) the food was excellent, the waiter not. We had dinner at another reservation only restaurant , Don Diego, both the food and servers were terrific. The rather small property size was a plus with two young children 7 and 9. The kids loved the place. The beach and the beach chairs and pool area were perfect. The housekeeper was fantastic, and extremely honest. I returned to the room one day and he pointed out that we had left the safe open. All was there as we had left it, phones, passports,iPads, cash, cameras, credit cards. I gave him a well deserved tip. The kids did some of the kids club activities, that staff was really nice and competent.
The majority of the staff was pleasant, not overly so, though not rude either. Witnessing some of the clientele, I can totally understand.
The room was smallish for 4 people, not a lot of room for keeping clothes and things tidy. The toilet was a disaster, unfixable really, but they came quickly to fix what they could, repeatedly. Our room was an ocean view, steps from the pool, beach and snack bar. That was great during the day, but it was also next to the show area and bar at night, loud and noisy. It was the 1300 building. All in all, the resort was nice enough. I wouldn't necessarily return, but I wouldn't say I never would. My husband liked it more than I, but I guess I would have liked just a step or two up.
Again, we got what we paid for.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms, great during the day, loud at night.
5 Thank DizzylizzyCincinnati
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Dear customer,

Thank you so much for your valuable comments on your family vacation at Viva Wyndham Maya.

It is very important to us to receive feedback from our customers. We assure you that your comments will be considered in order to ameliorate our services. We are pleased to hear that your children had such a good time.

We hope that you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at Viva Wyndham Resorts.

Viva Wyndham Maya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Just came back this week. It was my first all-inclusive vacation. Paid $1075 with Sunwing. The hotel itself was ok. Room was clean, bed was comfortable. Bathroom was good, no problem with hot water. No face cloth or conditioner (but that's ok, I always bring my own anyway )
My room was #2115 which is by the main pool and bar. Close to the beach.

However, I don't really like the food there at all. Food @ "La Terraza", international buffet restaurant were pretty bad. Even when just bought out from kitchen, food were just lukewarm but not hot. Seem lots of choices, you could manage to find something to fill your tummy, but they were kind of same everyday. And tasteless.
One morning I was going out for excursion @ 6:30am to Chichen Itza. The buffet was all set up already, but not open yet. I went in and asked one of the staff if I could take some food with me for breakfast on the way, he took my tips money and went away. The manager come to me said " No food allow to go outside".

Went to the "Hacienda Don Diego" Mexican for a la carte dinner with high expectation, afterall we were in Mexico, right!? Disappointed, poor pressentation and did not taste good. Server didn't really care.
2nd choice with "Bambu" Oriental a la carte restaurant @ Viva Wyndham Azteca. (This time with less expectation) Suprisingly, beautiful pressentation, very nice service, but food were still pretty tasteless and lukewarm, even after I asked them to reheat my main course, just steaming hot outside, still cool inside.
3rd choice with "Xul Ha" Mayan restaurant à la carte @ Viva Wyndham Azteca.( No expection at all) It was the most wonderful meal I had in the whole week. Excellent food from starter to dessert. Really good service. You HAVE to eat here. May be you should book all 3 à la carte dinner at this restaurant.

It was windy most of the week. Can't do any water sports at all. Disappointed.

Room Tip: I saw people said room in block 3000 is better, so I requested when I checked in, but they don't...
Charleston, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed at the VWM during springbreak week of March 19-24th as a group of 6 (2 families). Our stay was terrific and we definitely look forward to returning in the future.

Rooms- Our rooms (1209 and 1217) were very clean and comfortable. Noise wasn't much of a problem, but I did take earplugs just in case. If wash cloths and fluffy pillows are a priority for you, then make sure you take your own. There are no washcloths and the pillows are a little flat. The towels though are huge and fluffy. The only disappointment regarding our rooms was that we did pay extra for "Superior Ocean View" and had no view of the ocean. Overall though, we were very satisfied with the rooms.

Food- This was the favorite part of our trip. As a party of 6 with varying degrees of "pickyness," we each had no problem finding something yummy at the snack/grill and the La Terraza buffet. The Don Diego and Portofino restaurants were very good as well. Make your reservations for these two upon arrival. I had read many complaints about the food prior to our trip, but our group loved the food and even gained a pound or two during our stay. The desserts are especially wonderful. There will be some unusual items at times offered on the buffets, but VWM hosts many nationalities and cultures. It stands to reason that their food offerings be just as diverse. We found the selections very appropriate and mostly very delicious.

Drinks- Delicious and refreshing. Bartenders are all awesome.

Staff- Amazing. All very polite and hard-working. They do an excellent job of taking care of the facility and keeping things looking great. We went armed with plenty of tip money and found every tip we left to be very well deserved. I simply cant say enough good things about the staff.

Beach- Simply amazing. We did take turns getting up at daybreak and occupying our palapas as different members of our group used them throughout the morning and afternoon. If you are on the beach by about 6, you will have first choice. They are all reserved though by about 7:30. People complain about the hotel not allowing reserving of the palapas, then they complain about the hotel allowing reserving of palapas. Tricky situation for the hotel. Just get up early and enjoy the beautiful sunrise. You can always take a nice nap under the palapa.

Overall, excellent place to vacation. We will definitely go back. If 5-Star luxury is what you are after, then you may want to go elsewhere. If a nice, clean, beautiful place with good food and awesome beach on a budget is what you are looking for, then you will not be disappointed in the VWM. For the money, it is well worth the stay.

Susan Hayes,
Charleston, Arkansas, USA

Room Tip: We used Book It.com and had an excellent vacation from start to finish. Best Day travel folks were...
4 Thank Susan H
Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your family at Viva Wyndham Maya during your recent vacations.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities.
Furthermore it is really satisfactory to receive your positive feedback and to know that we fulfilled your expectations.

Thank your for recommending our resort and please remember that we will be pleased to welcome you back.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Vacation week March 19, 2012 - Room 1114 very nice right on the beach but needed to open doors to refresh the interior room smells a little moldy .. Food was good...Resort very Clean and secure resort. Everything was nice but I caught a cold because of air conditionning and very windy...Very windy ..ocean waivy all the time cannot swim at all .. good for board surfing...Nice to take long walk on the beach. Comedy show was funny. When to visit tulum and the dolphin's park good to see but will not return you see it once you see all. Went to Coco Bongo March 20, 2012 ladies night took the bus Hotel to get there took 20 minutes waiting for the bus and 20 to get there return in taxi took 10 minutes..it right beside the Walmart...arrived late waited in line with our express bracelet for Oscar which never showed up...waited waited in line..until we entered inside..we managed to skip the line to get there faster but wow it was packed already ..full house...packed like sardines when we got inside. Too many people everywhere.. couldn't move...They charged 60 US each exprss pass but you rarely see the waiter ...but it's sardines so forget it...don't even try to go to the washroom ...LOL...
Viva is a good resort and they will offer you a 90 minute session with special breakfast to give you a free week to their resorts (Maya and Azteca..the other one 3 blocks away or Jamaica I believe) we didn't go we taught it was time sharing thing but if you have some spare time you can go and see the deal....or the catch...LOL

Room Tip: Get the hotel map for the room so you will know where your room will be located.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank carolina l
Dear customer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your experiences from your holiday at the Viva Wyndham Maya on TripAdvisor. It is very important to us that our customers are satisfied and that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel.

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at anytime.

South Burlington, Vermont, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Arrived at 3:45 p.m. after a very long day of travel to wait in line for 25 min to check in and find out no restaurants were open for another 3 hours. Then had to sign up for reservations at on-site restaurants for each night (but could only reserve 2 nights at a time) and it was already too late to make a reservation for our arrival night, and for the nights we could reserve, we weren't able to reservations until 8:30 or 9:00 p.m. at any restaurant.

Didn't feel like a very welcoming atmosphere based on the above and the fact that the check-in staff made more of a point to tell us that if we lost a room key, it would cost us money and we had to have a 'towel key' to get our beach towels and if we lost those, it would also cost us money, more than welcoming us.

Restaurant food was okay; buffet was pretty standard but would recommend getting there when they first open to get fresh food. Would NOT recommend the snack bar by the pool; eggs often looked brown, very little and old fruit, yogurt warm and runny, and cold-cuts looked gray.

Rooms - old and blah

Beach and Pool Chairs - must put a blanket or something personal on them by 7:30 a.m. (to reserve them although they say you shouldn't) if you want to have one in the shade at all during the day.

Be aware - you might be asked to come receive a 'welcome' gift which then turns into trying to get you to attend a time-share meeting.

On the plus side - the pool was beautiful and well kept, the grounds were nicely kept, the beach was beautiful, the sun hot, and of course the turquoise ocean was gorgeous.

The other BIG PLUS for us was that our tour company was Olympus and our contact, Mario, at the resort, was unbelievably helpful, welcoming, always smiling, and all around wonderful.

Dear customer,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us on your recent vacation at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Our clients' opinions are very important to us as it is the more reliable source of information. Be sure that we will use this information to improve our services and facilities. We regret to not have been able to meet your expectations.

Kind regards,

Windham, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

I just returned a few days ago from the Viva and had the time of my life there. I personally believe the entertainment staff was the best! They are always trying to get you to participate in fun activities and the nightly shows were so so good. I did go to Coco Bongo one night and I thought their shows compared almost evenly. The food was just ok for me. I thought there would be better guacamole for Mexico.. That was my only complaint. All the staff was so helpful. The rooms were cleaned everyday and the lady even lined up our shoes! The beach is beautiful. I would go back there in a heart beat. I miss everyone!

4 Thank Christie D
Dear customer,

We really appreciate your review published on TripAdvisor.

It is very important to us to receive feedback from our guests so we know that you had a pleasant vacation at our hotel.

We look forward for your next stay at our resort and thank you for recommending us.

Kearney, Nebraska, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Our trip included a group of 8, when we checked in they only had rooms for 2 couples. They blamed Orbitz for overbooking even though we all had booked the trip at the same time 4 months in advance! The hotel then proceeded to split our group and send 2 couples to their sister resort the Viva Wyndham Azteca, while promising the 2 couples that had rooms at the Maya resort the same rooms at the Azteca the next day. Later that evening we find out that the 2 couples at the Azteca can come to the Maya and use their all inclusive to drink and eat, but we can't go to the Azteca and do the same????? Day 2 of our 5 day stay begins with us going to the Azteca to make sure we have comparable rooms as the Maya. We find that not only do they not have comparable rooms, they only have 1 available!!! This is after we were PROMISED that they would do everything possible to keep our group together! The staff at the Azteca were not very helpful and rude to boot! Somehow "miraclusly" they find rooms for our friends back at the Maya! Not only do we spend half of our day trying to get our group back together, coordinate our return shuttle service and start our vacation, the maya comps the 2 couples that move back to the Maya complimentary spa days!!!! Nothing for the 2 couples that lost most of the day trying to deal with their screw ups!!! We were treated with total disrespect when we tried to receive the same spa comps ourselves!! Again they just blamed everything on Orbitz. The only bright spot was Manuel from Gray Line Cancun, he spent most of the morning trying to help us get everything straightened out even though he and his company didn't have anything to do with the Maya's screw up and total lack of help from their staff!!!

All in all we were very disappointed in the hotel's service and willingness to help remedy our groups situation. The food was only so so and having to make reservations to the resteraunts a day in advance was ridiculous!! Everytime we tried to make a reservation the Maya would tell us that they were booked so we ended up eating the buffet most nights and even went into town to eat one night. All the while walking past the so called booked resteraunts to see mostly empty tables!

I will say the beach and the rest of the staff i.e. bar and cleaning were excellent. Our group was looking forward to this trip for 4 months and it was the first time to Mexico for 2 of our couples and thanks to the Viva Wyndham Maya it did not get off to a good start!! Overall very disappointed with staff and management's unwillingness to help or remedy our situation!!!!!!!

sincerely,

scott vonAschwege
Kearney, NE

Room Tip: Make sure if you want an ocean view room to double check it! 1 couple paid for the upgrade and &quo...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Scott A
Dear customer,

We appreciate the time you dedicated to write your remarks about your stay at Viva Wyndham Maya. Your review will assist us in our commitment to improve in all aspects of our operations.

We regret to not have been able to fulfill your expectations and we would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your stay.

Kind regards,

#18 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,812 reviews
21.9 km away
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya

Been to Viva Wyndham Maya? Share your experiences!