“A perfect wedding”

Ranked #85 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Victoria, Canada
“A perfect wedding”
Reviewed 18 April 2012

So this will be a rather long review as I like to let all those thinking about going to this resort have a general feel of how our trip went. First off this was our second time coming to the riviera maya, as we stayed at the Princess the previous time but was turned off going to the same resort on account of the explosion. We stayed at the Viva Wyndham Maya from the 4-11 April 2012 with family and friends due to our wedding. I will break down some of the key areas.
Services
-Overall the service from the front desk right up to the bartenders was quite good. We had a rather quick check in and a welcome drink brought to us within minutes of our arrival. Staff dealt with our luggage and everything regarding the resort was explained. Due to the wedding we where given the grey "VIP" bracelets and informed of the benefits. For those who may be thinking of purchasing the extra "VIP" bracelet my advice is dont. There was no real difference from the regular ones and even the "VIP" section at the front desk usually took longer to get service than the regular one. The bartenders and all other staff where very polite and tried their best to overcome any language barriers that may have come up. Any requests that we had where dealt with very quickly and overall we had no real problems. I found that the staff at this resort where not pushy for tips, at times it even seemed like they felt awkward taking them.
-The food at this resort was not as good as the Princess, it did have a wide variety and the different themed days helped to add a bit of adventure. The problem was that they often ran our of certain foods and other food was sometimes cold. The buffet was rather hot inside and depending on the time was hard to find a place to sit with the whole family. The service in the buffet I found was excellent, plates where cleared quick and if you ran out of a drink it was refilled very fast. The one alacarte meal that we had was at the Porto fino which was where the wedding dinner was at, more on the wedding later.
Beach/Pool
-The beach at this resort is excellent, beautiful white sand beach with no coral, nice clear, warm water. The seating at the beach was a different story, it was often packed as people would get up as early as 6am to go out and put stuff their stuff on the chairs, just to go to bed and finally come out around 10am. This was rediculous, we often had to find spots on the sand, however if you did find a spot it was comfortable. The pool is small for the amount of people at the resort, it has 1 swim up bar and due to the crowded area i didnt spend much time in it. There is an adult pool but it seemed to be filled with older people and was at the top of the resort.
Rooms
-I like the room we had, we where in 1307 which was right by the beach, the rest of the family was similarily close. Our room had 1 king bed and there was lots of rooms for all our luggage and other junk. The room was clean and the house keeping staff where some of the best I have ever had. They where quick, very thourough and responded to any requests that I may have had (extra blankets, water ect). Unlike some reviews that I read, our A/C worked too well as I was like it cold and the wife likes it hotter. The view was great, and the washroom had amble room. It also had all the basic amenities. Upon arrival we found a large bottle of tequila, 2 bottles of wine, a fruit basket, robes and a few other things. Overall I was very happy with what we received.
Activites
-The resort had various activies which added another level of fun for the family, from archery, to katamarans and kayaking, snorkling and bicycles, windsurfing, there was always lots to do. Of course for extra you can go parasailing, seadooing, scubadiving. The entertainment staff did a fairly good job of having alot of other things to do, such as volleyball, yoga, and dance lessons. However the night entertainment wasnt really my cup of tea, I found it to be spotty at best and it often felt very amatuerish to me. There is however a painting cart near the stage where you can paint various ceramic items (for a fee) during the day and they will fire them and return them to you the next day. I highly recommend this as they turn out great and make an awesome reminder of the trip.
Wedding
-And finally the reason why we came to mexico was for the wedding. We arrived on a wednesday in the evening and the front staff informed us we would be meeting with marco (the wedding coordinator) on thursday, the wedding was to be on friday. I was concerned as I didnt know if this would come together due to the limited communication between us and him leading up to the trip. Well we met with marco and wow, do I feel stupid for worrying. Everything came together perfectly, we met with him for about an hour and he went through every detail, we also at that time chose the flowers, cake, restaurant, style of wedding, and the music. Everything was taken care of and really put my mind at ease. The ceremony itself was excellent, an area of the beach was clearned and it was the classic white chairs and alter. The flowers where excellent, new and fresh. They accomadated our change in music and had champagne waiting once the ceremony ended. They photographer was great, he took around 350 pictures in all different poses. Afterwards we had the reception dinner at the porto fino and once again I was surprised at the level of service and the quality of food that we received. If I have one complaint it would be that the cake was not what I had expected, it looked great and the taste was not bad it just wasnt what I had wanted. Overall the wedding we amazing, the bride looked perfect and the back drop of the beautiful white sand beach with that blue water made for an amazing day and great pictures. One last thing, we had the wedding at 5pm, it was perfect, was the perfect temp with just the right amount of light.

Overall
- I would highly recommend this resort, is it a 5 star place, no. It is a resort where you will have an excellent time with family or friends or perhaps just the two of you. Enjoy the location (25min walk down the beach to playa del carmen), right across the street is a starbucks, a pharmacy (for the much needed sun relief lotion) and various other shops. Go and experience all that the area has to offer, and experience all that the resort has to offer, rent those bicycles, do the archery classes, you will enjoy it. Have fun!!!

-Adam

Room Tip: Dont spend the money on VIP
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Adam K
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Dear customer,

We appreciate the time dedicated to write your opinion about your stay at our resort.

We are happy to know that you had a memorable wedding at our resort. Your opinion is very valuable to us and be sure that we will take your suggestions into account.

Thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Maya and please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back for your wedding anniversary or any other time.

Best regards,

Viva Wyndham Maya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We would definately stay at this resort again! The staff was so friendly and professional, and the food, especially the fresh-made pizza and make-your-own pasta dish, was the best-tasting I've had at an all-inclusive.

The resort is located inside the gated community of Playacar, which is absolutely beautiful, and safe. We were a 20 minute walk from 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen, and there was even a small shopping center and mayan ruins within Playacar.

The nightly entertainment was very enertaining, and the resort had a warm glow in the evening, with the smell of yummy food being cooked at the al a carte restaurants. The variety of activities was great, though we spent most of the time out on excursions, or relaxing on the nice beach. The beach is weedy in the mornings, but a crew had it all cleaned up by noon everyday. It wasn't slimey weeds, so it didn't bother me.

Only a couple of issues, but they will not prevent us from returning. The beds are quite hard, and uncomfortable, but I find that at most all inclusive resorts.

The concierge/Viva Vacation service is what made us angry. We got a phone call on the second day we were there, asking us to come meet with someone from here. We sat down with them, learned more about the resort (more than the Sunwing rep was able to share), got a small gift, and were invited to a 90-minute meeting the next morning (which was a sales pitch of some sort, and the incentive was a free week at the resort, not including the all-inclusive portion). We had a great talk with him, and took the invitation to meet him the next day for breakfast for the 90-minute talk. We did not say we would be there, we only took the piece of paper with the invitation, and would decide that night if we were going to go. He did not say we had to confirm whether we would be there or not, just to show up if we had no excursions planned. Well, we didn' show up, which was no big deal, or so we thought..... then the phone calls started coming to our room.... over and over, everytime we were in the room, the phone rang about 2-3 times (about 20 in total). We answered the first time, and the person on the phone (not the one we had the meeting with) told us that since we didn't show up, we had to sign a cancellation notice, and we had to come meet with them to do so. If we didn't, the guy we met with would be charged $100. So they're charging their staff?!?! He had never mentioned this to us, and there was no communication stating we would be there.... no signautres, nothing. We didn't want to keep wasting our time trying to track down this person, "meeting" for information, etc. We just wanted to enjoy our vacation. The phone calls did not stop until finally my boyfriend picked up the phone on one ring, and slammed the receiver back down. That stopped the calls (some at 7am). We saw the guy we had met with many times during the stay, and he never stopped us, asking why we hadn't shown up, etc... he didn't bother us at all. And neither did the other hotel staff... just the Viva Vacation club bombarded us with phone calls. So I don't put blame on the actual resort, just the Viva Vacation club chain.

Other than that, it was GREAT!!!

Room Tip: If your room balacony faces the resort beside the Viva Wyndham (the Rui Palace, I think), you are in...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tausha14
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I am not a 5 star type of man and never will be .... if that's what your looking for open your wallet! This is my 2nd time here and am planning to return this summer! Love the location ... love the smaller type resort ... love the DOWN TO EARTH type customers .. love the white sand beach ... love the staff .. had an amazing vacation! For the $$$ we spent we couldn"t have stayed at a cheap motel in Toronto and ate all we can eat ... drank all we can drink.. and have the time of our lives for a week ... by the way that does not include air and taxes all u complaining nose in the air people! This is a great resort, in a great location, for a great price! BTW have traveled to 15 different resorts in the Carribian in the last 20 years and this is the best value by far!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Harry M
Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at Viva Wyndham Maya during your recent vacations.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that we were able to exceed your expectations. It is very rewarding to read that we have already had the pleasure, in two occasions, to have you as our guest.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

During our stay April 9-16 2012. We ran into problems day two early in the morning when our room was leaking water into the hallway... They sent a service tech and he put caulking around the tub and they cleaned up the water. A couple hours later the water was still running into the hallway so they put caulking around the trim of the walls saying it was coming from the ceiling somewhere and they cleaned up the water. The next day we had water dropping from the ceiling and a service tech showed up and said "that will fix it for a while"...Did not clean up the water and just put a rag on the floor outside our door to stop it from pooling in the hallway. It did of course only hold for a while and had them return later that day to stop the water from the ceiling. I went to the front desk and said I would like another room if they could not stop the problem and they agreed. This time they did not clean up the water on the floor and my girlfriend
slipped on the water. They then gave us a new room. As I entered the room the thermostat read 31C and I set the AC control to 20C, let it run a few hours and got it down to 29C. I went to the front desk and they sent out a service tech again... He told me I did not have it set on cold and set it at 14C. Needless to say the AC WAS BROKEN like I tried mentioning to them. The food was almost the exact same everynight and all we dared to eat was the pasta. The alacarte restaurants where of average standard here in Canada. We had checked reviews here on trip advisor before we booked. But I would never recommend it to anyone or return to that chain again

• Stayed April 2012
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Lovely place to stay for my first trip to Mexico! All inclusive. The resort had everything! Lots of activities throughout the day, only a 30 min walk to playa del Carmen. Definitely will go back to this resort. Even won the "Miss Maya" contest which was a blast!! Wish I could have stayed longer. Great bang for your buck too and the food and drinks were amazing! Loved every second of my stay.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank LowWang
Dear customer,

Thank you for your review regarding your holiday at the Viva Wyndham Maya.
It is very gratifying to read your good remarks about our services and facilities. Also we are very happy to know that we exceed your expectations.

We look forward to your next stay at our resort and thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We stayed at the Viva Wyndham Maya from April 6-12, 2012. It's located im Playa Del Carmen which is about a 45-60 min drive from Cancun Airport. So, I'll break it down into what we liked and what we didn't.
What we liked:
-The beach was wonderful! We spent most of time at the beach and loved the color of the water and the white sand.
- The staff are super friendly and helpful. We didn't meet a single rude employee from check in to check out.
- The whole place is spotless! The grounds crew do an amazing job of keeping this place super clean and the landscaping is second to none.
-The room was also spotless. The maid service is amazing.
-Comfortable beach/pool chairs.
-Super big beach/pool towles.
-Dinner at the Viva Cafe was absolutely the best I have ever had! Unfortunately, you are only allowed 2 restaurant visits during a 6 day stay. If all the food was this good, this place would get 5 stars.
-Sunrise. We got up early (see below) and would watch the sun rise and have a cup of coffee each morning. It was a very peaceful and relaxing time.
-They have several kayaks you can use and and also have catamaran lessons.

What we didn't like:
-The biggest disappointment was the food at the buffets. It was made up of very inexpensive items and wasn't that tasty. Most foods are repeated over and over.
-The second biggest complaint was the alcoholic beverages. This is an all inclusive and includes all you caan drink. The drinks are excessively watered down. They must add water right to the bottles because I watched them make the drinks and they added plenty of whatever came out of the bottle. You could barely taste any alcohol in any of the drinks. Kulah is a product of Mexico but you won't find any at this resort. Beer comes from a tap and tastes like a very cheap brand (definately not Corona).
-Beds are very hard (I understand this is typical for Mexico).
-Pillows were very (and I mean very) thin and flat. There were 4 of us and only 5 pillows. We took turns sharing the 5th pillow...lol!
-The room had a very strong musty odor. Take a couple of air fresheners with you.
-Beach/pool chairs get reserved very early. You need to get yours by 6:30-7:00 AM if you want one in the shade. 8:00 AM if you want one at all.
-Lots of smokers! If you don't like smelling cigarette smoke then you are out of luck. Smoking still seems to be pretty popular with the Europeans.
-Constantly being bothered to buy something from wondering vendors. Anything from Cuban cigars, jet ski rentals, excursions, to jewlery. All day at the beach. Just ignore them and they keep walking.
-Another odor complaint was from the jet skis and para-sailing boat exhaust. The breeze comes off the ocean and carries the exhaust right to your nose.
-Yet another odor complaint...the life vests that they give you with the kayaks STINK!! They smell like really bad...I mean really, really bad body odor! They must never wash them. I had to throw away a t-shirt I was wearing under one because it smelled so bad after I took of the vest.

It's a nice place but not a great place. I would probably not go back unless there was some really good deal.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Stephanie M
Dear customer,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, regarding your recent vacation at Viva Wyndham Maya.

We can assure you that the opinions of our clients are very important to us as they are the more reliable source of information. Your comments help us in our constant commitment to improve our services and facilities.

We appreciate your good comments about our activities and services but we regret to not have been able to fulfill your expectations.

We hope that you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at Viva Wyndham Resorts.

Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Buffet was average, nothing spectacular, breakfast was great with large omelete bar. Grilled food near the pool every afternoon was great. We don't drink alcohol, but bartenders were always offering new varieties of non-alcoholic drinks. Bring earplugs if you are close to the stage.

Service was good with one exception. Waiter in the Italian restaurant spilled an entire glass of Sprite on my head. He apologized profusely and gave me a cloth napkin in an attempt to dry off. But there was no offer of anything else. No manager apology, no offer to clean my shirt, not even an offer of an additonal dessert.

Room Tip: Building 1 is close to the action but loud at night.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank UglyHat
Dear customer,

Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent family vacation at Viva Wyndham Maya.

We can assure you that all of our clients' opinions are very important to us because it is the more reliable source of information to improve our services and facilities. We appreciate your good comments about our services and facilities and we would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you might have experienced due to the incident in the restaurant.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Allegro Playacar
Allegro Playacar
#87 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,545 reviews

Been to Viva Wyndham Maya? Share your experiences!