US$281
US$237
Very Good 4/5
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$385
US$261
  • Breakfast included
Playacar Palace(Playa del Carmen)
US$728
Excellent 5/5
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$597
  • Beachfront
Iberostar Tucan Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
US$335
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,004
US$872
US$477
US$448
US$1,032
US$551
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Paraiso Maya(Playa Paraiso)
US$357
US$205
HotelsClick
Very Good 4/5
6,994 results
All reviewsdon diegoa la carte restaurantspool baradult poolboogie boardsanimation teamthe mexican restaurantsister resorthot dogsgated communitynightly showspurified waterkids clubpasta stationother resortsmake reservationsstar resort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We would definately stay at this resort again! The staff was so friendly and professional, and the food, especially the fresh-made pizza and make-your-own pasta dish, was the best-tasting I've had at an all-inclusive.

The resort is located inside the gated community of Playacar, which is absolutely beautiful, and safe. We were a 20 minute walk from 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen, and there was even a small shopping center and mayan ruins within Playacar.

The nightly entertainment was very enertaining, and the resort had a warm glow in the evening, with the smell of yummy food being cooked at the al a carte restaurants. The variety of activities was great, though we spent most of the time out on excursions, or relaxing on the nice beach. The beach is weedy in the mornings, but a crew had it all cleaned up by noon everyday. It wasn't slimey weeds, so it didn't bother me.

Only a couple of issues, but they will not prevent us from returning. The beds are quite hard, and uncomfortable, but I find that at most all inclusive resorts.

The concierge/Viva Vacation service is what made us angry. We got a phone call on the second day we were there, asking us to come meet with someone from here. We sat down with them, learned more about the resort (more than the Sunwing rep was able to share), got a small gift, and were invited to a 90-minute meeting the next morning (which was a sales pitch of some sort, and the incentive was a free week at the resort, not including the all-inclusive portion). We had a great talk with him, and took the invitation to meet him the next day for breakfast for the 90-minute talk. We did not say we would be there, we only took the piece of paper with the invitation, and would decide that night if we were going to go. He did not say we had to confirm whether we would be there or not, just to show up if we had no excursions planned. Well, we didn' show up, which was no big deal, or so we thought..... then the phone calls started coming to our room.... over and over, everytime we were in the room, the phone rang about 2-3 times (about 20 in total). We answered the first time, and the person on the phone (not the one we had the meeting with) told us that since we didn't show up, we had to sign a cancellation notice, and we had to come meet with them to do so. If we didn't, the guy we met with would be charged $100. So they're charging their staff?!?! He had never mentioned this to us, and there was no communication stating we would be there.... no signautres, nothing. We didn't want to keep wasting our time trying to track down this person, "meeting" for information, etc. We just wanted to enjoy our vacation. The phone calls did not stop until finally my boyfriend picked up the phone on one ring, and slammed the receiver back down. That stopped the calls (some at 7am). We saw the guy we had met with many times during the stay, and he never stopped us, asking why we hadn't shown up, etc... he didn't bother us at all. And neither did the other hotel staff... just the Viva Vacation club bombarded us with phone calls. So I don't put blame on the actual resort, just the Viva Vacation club chain.

Other than that, it was GREAT!!!

Room Tip: If your room balacony faces the resort beside the Viva Wyndham (the Rui Palace, I think), you are in for a bit of a noisy night, as their entertainment is very lengthy and they really get the crowd going, which sounds like a lot of fun!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tausha14
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I am not a 5 star type of man and never will be .... if that's what your looking for open your wallet! This is my 2nd time here and am planning to return this summer! Love the location ... love the smaller type resort ... love the DOWN TO EARTH type customers .. love the white sand beach ... love the staff .. had an amazing vacation! For the $$$ we spent we couldn"t have stayed at a cheap motel in Toronto and ate all we can eat ... drank all we can drink.. and have the time of our lives for a week ... by the way that does not include air and taxes all u complaining nose in the air people! This is a great resort, in a great location, for a great price! BTW have traveled to 15 different resorts in the Carribian in the last 20 years and this is the best value by far!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Harry M
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at Viva Wyndham Maya during your recent vacations.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that we were able to exceed your expectations. It is very rewarding to read that we have already had the pleasure, in two occasions, to have you as our guest.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

During our stay April 9-16 2012. We ran into problems day two early in the morning when our room was leaking water into the hallway... They sent a service tech and he put caulking around the tub and they cleaned up the water. A couple hours later the water was still running into the hallway so they put caulking around the trim of the walls saying it was coming from the ceiling somewhere and they cleaned up the water. The next day we had water dropping from the ceiling and a service tech showed up and said "that will fix it for a while"...Did not clean up the water and just put a rag on the floor outside our door to stop it from pooling in the hallway. It did of course only hold for a while and had them return later that day to stop the water from the ceiling. I went to the front desk and said I would like another room if they could not stop the problem and they agreed. This time they did not clean up the water on the floor and my girlfriend
slipped on the water. They then gave us a new room. As I entered the room the thermostat read 31C and I set the AC control to 20C, let it run a few hours and got it down to 29C. I went to the front desk and they sent out a service tech again... He told me I did not have it set on cold and set it at 14C. Needless to say the AC WAS BROKEN like I tried mentioning to them. The food was almost the exact same everynight and all we dared to eat was the pasta. The alacarte restaurants where of average standard here in Canada. We had checked reviews here on trip advisor before we booked. But I would never recommend it to anyone or return to that chain again

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Lovely place to stay for my first trip to Mexico! All inclusive. The resort had everything! Lots of activities throughout the day, only a 30 min walk to playa del Carmen. Definitely will go back to this resort. Even won the "Miss Maya" contest which was a blast!! Wish I could have stayed longer. Great bang for your buck too and the food and drinks were amazing! Loved every second of my stay.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank LowWang

Dear customer,

Thank you for your review regarding your holiday at the Viva Wyndham Maya.
It is very gratifying to read your good remarks about our services and facilities. Also we are very happy to know that we exceed your expectations.

We look forward to your next stay at our resort and thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

We stayed at the Viva Wyndham Maya from April 6-12, 2012. It's located im Playa Del Carmen which is about a 45-60 min drive from Cancun Airport. So, I'll break it down into what we liked and what we didn't.
What we liked:
-The beach was wonderful! We spent most of time at the beach and loved the color of the water and the white sand.
- The staff are super friendly and helpful. We didn't meet a single rude employee from check in to check out.
- The whole place is spotless! The grounds crew do an amazing job of keeping this place super clean and the landscaping is second to none.
-The room was also spotless. The maid service is amazing.
-Comfortable beach/pool chairs.
-Super big beach/pool towles.
-Dinner at the Viva Cafe was absolutely the best I have ever had! Unfortunately, you are only allowed 2 restaurant visits during a 6 day stay. If all the food was this good, this place would get 5 stars.
-Sunrise. We got up early (see below) and would watch the sun rise and have a cup of coffee each morning. It was a very peaceful and relaxing time.
-They have several kayaks you can use and and also have catamaran lessons.

What we didn't like:
-The biggest disappointment was the food at the buffets. It was made up of very inexpensive items and wasn't that tasty. Most foods are repeated over and over.
-The second biggest complaint was the alcoholic beverages. This is an all inclusive and includes all you caan drink. The drinks are excessively watered down. They must add water right to the bottles because I watched them make the drinks and they added plenty of whatever came out of the bottle. You could barely taste any alcohol in any of the drinks. Kulah is a product of Mexico but you won't find any at this resort. Beer comes from a tap and tastes like a very cheap brand (definately not Corona).
-Beds are very hard (I understand this is typical for Mexico).
-Pillows were very (and I mean very) thin and flat. There were 4 of us and only 5 pillows. We took turns sharing the 5th pillow...lol!
-The room had a very strong musty odor. Take a couple of air fresheners with you.
-Beach/pool chairs get reserved very early. You need to get yours by 6:30-7:00 AM if you want one in the shade. 8:00 AM if you want one at all.
-Lots of smokers! If you don't like smelling cigarette smoke then you are out of luck. Smoking still seems to be pretty popular with the Europeans.
-Constantly being bothered to buy something from wondering vendors. Anything from Cuban cigars, jet ski rentals, excursions, to jewlery. All day at the beach. Just ignore them and they keep walking.
-Another odor complaint was from the jet skis and para-sailing boat exhaust. The breeze comes off the ocean and carries the exhaust right to your nose.
-Yet another odor complaint...the life vests that they give you with the kayaks STINK!! They smell like really bad...I mean really, really bad body odor! They must never wash them. I had to throw away a t-shirt I was wearing under one because it smelled so bad after I took of the vest.

It's a nice place but not a great place. I would probably not go back unless there was some really good deal.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Stephanie M

Dear customer,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, regarding your recent vacation at Viva Wyndham Maya.

We can assure you that the opinions of our clients are very important to us as they are the more reliable source of information. Your comments help us in our constant commitment to improve our services and facilities.

We appreciate your good comments about our activities and services but we regret to not have been able to fulfill your expectations.

We hope that you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at Viva Wyndham Resorts.