“Let Me Take Away Your Worries...”
Review of Viva Wyndham Maya

Ranked #86 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We just got back yesterday from a seven night stay at the Viva Wyndham Maya resort and our time there was amazing. We were a group of 5 - three adults and two teenagers - boys 12 and 15. We kept wondering what the higher priced resorts with more stars could possibly have that the Viva Maya didn't. I will try not to make this review too lengthy, but I really have a lot to share. This was our first time at an all-inclusive, so I have nothing to compare to, but we LOVED the Viva Maya and Im so happy I chose it - it was JUST what we wanted! We'll start with the room - we were in the 3000 building, room 3121 on the ground floor, and room 3115 on the third floor. Ground floor had sliding glass doors out to a cement patio and was right across from the adult pool and bar. Third floor had a balcony that was small, but still had 2 chairs and a little table out there. There were two beds (no one in our group complained about the beds or the pillows), a shower, a Jacuzzi tub, a flat screen TV, a refrigerator, a hairdryer, an ironing board and iron, an alarm clock. About every other day, I left a couple dollars for the housekeeper - I left notes in Spanish - once asking for more water, and once asking for the shower gel and shampoo to be refilled, both requests were granted. There are no washcloths so bring your own if you need them. The refrigerator was stocked with more water daily, as well as pepsi and 7up. Im sure if I would have left a note for them to leave beer there, they would have. Moving on to the food. The main buffet was average, but by no means did any of the 5 of us ever go hungry. The snack bar by the pool had decent pizza and chips and salsa. There were also burgers, fries, chicken nuggets, etc. I was pretty excited to see that there was a Starbucks right across the street when we got there, but I never went to Starbucks once- the lobby and pool bars have commercial quality espresso machines and the coffee is better - order a cafe cappuccino and add your own sweetener...awesome. We ate at Don Diego, Viva Cafe International, and at the Italian restaurant at the Azteca. All 3 were good. The drinks are good and there is also a whole menu of non-alcoholic smoothie type drinks for the under aged. We borrowed the bikes twice and rode into the town of Playa Del Carmen. The bikes are the best way - the cabs are tiny and not air conditioned. The bike ride takes 10 minutes. On the way to town, there are Mayan Ruins on the right side that you can stop and climb all over. The town is fun, although I imagine it might be a little intimidating for someone who has never been in that type of environment before. People yell at you constantly to come look at the stuff they are selling and we did get offered drugs. You just say "no thank you" and keep walking. NEVER ONCE DID WE FEEL UNSAFE. The coolest thing we did in town was finding the Fish Spa - you put your feet in a fish tank and a million tiny little fish eat the dead skin off your feet! I couldn't understand the guy when I asked the name of the fish but he said they are from Turkey. It is the weirdest experience I've ever had, but so cool - and it was $10 for 15 minutes. They have a huge tank of the fish for the more adventurous who want to submerge their whole body. The nightlife at the resort leaves a little to be desired, depending on what you're looking for I guess. We learned however, that one of the staff will go with you in a cab to one of the main clubs in town, and will stay there with you if you want them to - we didn't do this only because we were dead exhausted and several martinis in by 11pm every night, but Im sure it would have been fun. The staff are a LOT of fun, and they work their tails off. A couple of special mentions to Ruben the bartender, and to Victor, Armando, Manuel (or Miguel?) from Spain, Alesandro, and Brenda for making our stay really enjoyable! We loved you guys! My 12 year old did the trapeze, a lot of bow and arrow archery, and borrowed a boogie board, my 15 year old did the scuba lesson, in the pool, made a million friends and had the time of his life. You can give your kids some freedom here to run around and make friends and hang out with people around their own age. My 15 year old even stayed behind at the resort the second time we went in to town for a few hours. We book our excursion to Xel Ha right in the lobby and never got approached by any time share people. We also never encountered any "rude Europeans" - we met a great couple from Holland. After you've been there a couple days, you find the people who speak your language, and start talking. I read about 900 reviews before booking this trip and I am here to tell you, you will not be disappointed with this resort - we all had a great time.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 3000 block are the furthest away from everything but the resort is small enough that it...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
11  Thank Lisa B
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your family at Viva Wyndham Maya during your recent vacations.

It is a pleasure to know that you were able to enjoy our services and facilities. Our customer's satisfaction is our constant goal. Knowing we reached this goal in your recent stay is very rewarding for all our hard working staff members and it will reinforce their commitment to provide quality service to all of our guests.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Viva Wyndham Maya

Write a ReviewReviews (6,803)

Reviewed 28 May 2012

I stayed at this resort during the memorial day weekend and i have to say that it is a good bargain. The resort is nice and neat and staff is very friendly.

There are 2 bars, one at the pool which is open 24 hours and the one near the lobby which is open until 2AM. the drinks are not waterdowned as some may have complained. The room was nice and close to the beach. we got 2324 room number. There is a Buffet restaurant and 2 A-la-Cart restaurants for which you have to make reservations. The food is plenty at the buffet restaurant and we dined one time at the Don Diego Mexican restaurant.

Now for the Cons -

1) There is no fridge in the room, which means no drinks at your leisure inside the room
2) There is no wifi inside the room, you will have to go to the lobby
3) They do not have toothpaste, we did not get it thinking that we may get this from the hotel like we usually do
4) Never loose your towel cards or the room keys or else they will charge you 20$ for each card.

Other than these minor issues, the stay was fun ! We loved it!

Room Tip: Get rooms in the 2000's , i got 2324 and was nice
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank bmohandas

Dear customer,

Thank you for publishing your positive review on TripAdvisor.

Our daily commitment lies in providing a quality service to all of our guests. It is a joy to hear we were able to achieve this constant goal in your recent visit to our property. Be sure that we will take your suggestions for improvement into account.

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

We just returned from our trip to the Viva Wyndham Maya, we are part of the Viva Vacation Ownership program which provides us a few extra perks, but overall it really is the resort and the staff that make this place so great.

Previously we have travelled from October thru March, so this was our first experience in the more "spring" like time of year. I will say the grounds are noticebly more lush: more flowers, greeener, but alas more cloudy period and rainy weather... but beautiful nonetheless.
This time we travelled with friends, 2 other couples who came with us, 4 of us stayed up in the 3000 block by the adult pool, much quieter area but also a bit of a longer jog down to the main pool/bar area and beach. Our other friends stayed in the 1000 block of rooms which seems to be undergoing a refurbishing of sorts - we have also stayed in the 2000 block previously and our friends who stayed in Rm 1123, their room had definately been updated since our stay in the 2000 block.
The resort itself is kept extremely clean, someone is always cleaning the grounds: raking up the leaves, picking up debris, dishes and drink cups from the buffet/bar. Whenever it rained, the staff would be out there quickly squeeging away the water. We had one issue when we first checked in to our room - Rm 3301, the A/C wasn't working properly, however it was attended to promptly, they came up to the room immediately when we called, and the A/C was removed and taken to the repair shop and back installed and working within 3 hrs. They assured us if it couldn't be fixed, we would be provided with another room, luckily we didn't have to pack up and move as our room was co-joined with another couple in our troup! However we didn't have any problems with it after that at all. The 3rd couple who travelled with us also were dealing with issues of food allergies and the resort was very accomodating in providing them access to the kitchen/chef and food/ingredient lists, to ensure there were no unpleasant or unexpected experiences, especially as this was their very first trip to Mexico ever or the Wyndham Maya!

We did notice that there was alot of seaweed up on the beach and in the sea on this trip, again nothing to do with the resort as they have absolutley no control over the ocean, but just mention it as it is not something we have seen previously in Playa in the "winter" months.
We ate at the buffet everyday for breakfast and most evenings for dinner, and as usual we enjoyed the buffet and the amount of variety that is always in abundance - breakie always consists of fresh fruit, 6 different types of yogurt, cottage cheese, fresh baked breads, cereal's the omlette station, freshly cooked egg station for egg whites only, sunnyside up, over easy...you get my point, plus sliced cheese's, meats, begium waffels, french toast and pancakes. Dinner at the buffet is always a theme night - Italian, Japanese, Mexican, etc along with their handy staples for those who just want meat (chicken/beef) and potatoes kinds of meals - along with salad offerings to build your own. The snack bar down by the pool always has freshly made pizza, burgers to order, plus pasta, nachos, fresh made gaucamole and a small salad bar they recently added, which is a nice touch. For the Al a cartes this year we tried the new Viva Cafe, it has a fusion type menu and throughly enjoyed it! Our server Jose was excellent, attentive, prompt and courteous at all times (we have come to expect nothing less with the Maya truthfully) and the food was truly exceptional! We also ate at Don Diego's for the first time, another of the Al a cartes on site, and it was also fantastic, however come with a very big appetite as the mexican cuisine is very very filling - skip the snack bar and buffet for lunch that day for sure :) .
We went to the tequilla barrel for lunch on the Sat to watch the game (Chelsea vs Germany) and their wings and ribs are outta this world - we will definately go back for those!

For those of you who enjoy wine (as i do) I unfortunately have yet to find a wine that I really enjoy when in Mexico, so I have resolved to bring my own next trip - it is even difficult to source them in town - they do not seem to carry a selection of Amarone or some of the more full bodied Austrailian/Argentia Syrah/Shiraz - which tends to be my preference. However that being said the bar selection at the Maya is always excellent - Smirinoff, Bacardi, and for their fruit insipried drinks like the smoothies/Banana Mama's they use fresh fruit, not fruit flavored syrup! And for those folks who are always going on about the fact that they do not get fresh water bottles everyday and only one is provided in the room - the resort is part of the Eco Green movement which is stated in every room - they have fresh water at every bar from which to refill your bottle or fill up your own container should you so choose to bring one.

Overall our experience was great, however we will probably look to going back to the winter season for travelling as the weather seems to be more optimal!

6  Thank mrsrahbarian
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My girlfriends and I arrived at the Viva Wyndham Maya on May 12, 2012. Due to an injury one of my girlfriends required a wheelchair. Note: this will cost you $20.00 USD/Day and you will be harrassed repeately for having it! The staff are not helpful or friendly. Safe costs $5.00 USD/Day, there is 1 complimentary bottle of water, after that you have to purchase it. The fridge in the room isn't stocked with anything and if you want it stocked, you have to pay extra. The food is completely inadequate, and the service is even worse. 2 of us got sick from the food and water the first day that we were there. One of us is still not feeling well. Our rooms stunk, the celing leaked, and our Garden View was a Chain link fence. The bugs in this resort are plentiful!
We moved to the Sunset Princess, which is a 5 Star Resort. BTW the Viva Wyndham is not a 4 Star, it is a 2.5 at best!
Upon arrival at the Sunset Princess, a wheelchair was immediately brought to us and we could use it for the length of our stay. The resort is beautiful, staff is friendly, bottled water is located in the mini-bar, and the safe is complimentary!

Room Tip: Note: "Garden View" Room is of a Chain Link fence located 5 feet from your patio door.
8  Thank Melanie C

Dear customer,

We appreciate the time you dedicated to write your remarks regarding your recent stay at our property.

Your comments will assist us in our commitment to improve our services and facilities with our customer's satisfaction being the ultimate goal. We are sorry for any inconvenience or annoyance that you might have experienced during your stay and we regret to not have been able to fulfill your expectations.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you at our resort.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed at the Viva Maya for 4 nights and had a wonderful experience. The rooms are a nice size and very clean. The staff here is exceptional. My only complaint would be a lack of variety at the buffet and snack bars, but overall it was a wonderful, relaxing stay, which is exactly what we were looking for.

2  Thank Natalie E

Dear customer,

We really appreciate your review published on TripAdvisor.

We are grateful for your remarks and especially we are happy to know that you had a relaxing holiday at our property.

Thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Maya and please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back anytime.

Reviewed 19 May 2012

We are really happy and well rested after two weeks at Viva Maya! Service is great, food is great, beach is great. This is the best vacation I have ever had. Special thanks to all the personnel that was taking good care of us- la terrazzo, animators, room maids, restaurants, bars. The neighborhood feels very safe - went jogging in Playacar and on 5th avenida, took the bike with my son. Would also like to recommend the scuba diving team - underwater technical world for spectacular locations, excellent service and Bobby for sharing the air with me to see more on the drift dive:) I also ended up jogging on the golf course by mistake and it looks really good though I am not a golfer.
Sergey

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Sergey B

Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your family at Viva Wyndham Maya. We are glad to know that you had the chance to enjoy your vacation at our resort.

It is a pleasure to know that our services and facilities met with your expectations.

Many thanks for recommending Viva Wyndham Maya on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 19 May 2012

Food in the buffet was very limited and not the best. You are only allowed to go to the a la carte restaurants a couple times based on the lengh of your stay. This didn't make sense to us because the restaurants were pretty empty. The Mexican restaurant was excellent and Italian restaurant was decent. The pool was pretty small. Ocean was beautiful . My biggest complaint is the terrible bed bug bites I got from from 1329. My body is covered in them. Overall I would give the hotel 3 OUT of 5 stars. Definitely not the nicest all inclusive resort I have been to in Playa del Carmen but still had a fun time.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Kelly C

Dear customer,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us on your recent vacation at Viva Wyndham Maya.

We can assure you that all of our clients' opinions are very important to us because it is the more reliable source of information to improve our services and facilities.

We are glad to know that you had a fun trip to Mexico and we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at Viva Wyndham Maya.