“Nice 4 Stars Resort”

Ranked #71 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Nice 4 Stars Resort”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Came back this weekend and I want to share with others the excellent week at Viva Windham Azteca stay...
We were 5 travelling in 2 rooms, It`s a small resort but offer a lot. It's a very nice resort for family that are staying for a week. We visited 3 restaurants A la Carte. Bamboo (Asian) was very tasty, nice service, the Italian was nice, food was tasty as well. Since we were at Azteca, we were allowed to reserve at the Mexican at the Maya, food was very good too, it was our second time at the Mexican as we were staying at the Maya before, food was very good, never finished my plate as I was FULL :-)
Tequila are always good.. Every night in the Main area close to Lobby, Buffet there is a Coktail that the bar tender prepare the special drinks, most of them are either Tequila and Martini any kind, very pleasant. The Snack is very good, my kids enjoyed their burger in the afternoon and we had veggies and salads for the ones that wanted to eat healthy. Beach was good and the pool too.
A great Animation team makes our stay very good, they were very friendly and funny. The crazy games, Darts, VolleyBall, and other activities..

I would definitvely go back. walking distance to 5th Avenue Approx. 20 minutes or Taxi 7$ Playa Del Carmen and the ferry to Cozumel if you are interrested.
There are jet ski for rent, which I took advantage with my yougest son (15) and we really enjoyed it. The Sea was agitated, it was between yellow & red flag, but still worth it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SylPasc
VivaWyndhamAzteca, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your family at Viva Wyndham Azteca during your recent vacations. It is a pleasure to read that you have been able to enjoy the services and facilities of both the Viva Wyndham Maya and Viva Wyndham Azteca.

We are happy to know that we have exceeded your expectations and we look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Viva Wyndham Azteca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Just returned home from a one week stay at the Azteca. Overall it was a good experience. This was third stay in the area, this resorts was the smallest I have stayed at so far. It was nice to be able to get anywhere in the resorts within a couple of minutes, I think it would be a great size for people with young children.
Food: Buffet was good, sitting outside eating was enjoyable. The beach/snack bar area was good as well, nice to be able to just walk up in your bathing suit and grab some food. The Mayan was very nice, very pretty setting, food was good. Bamboo was ok, food was good, but the restaraunt was silent and had no ambiance. Went to Don Diego's at the Viva Maya resort and it was a lot of fun, great environment, good food.
Drinks: The drinks at this resort were very good, the blended drinks weren't too sweet and sugary like some resorts have. There is no waitstaff at the beach or the lobby bar areas, I must admit I missed having it, but it was ok, just gave the resort a much more casual sort of vibe.
Beach: The beach was beautiful here, the water was pretty wavy most days which was a ton of fun ton play in. There always seemed to be beach chairs available.
Pool: the pool was on the smaller side, we prefer the beach so did`t really use the pool, but it never looked overly crowded or anything.
Staff: The staff here were nice enough, they were almost reserved I guess you could say, this is where I think there could be some improvements, other resorts I have been to the staff have made a huge impression on me with there enthusiasm and friendliness, I didn`t have that experience at the Azteca.
Rooms: The rooms were fine, clean, the cleaning staff do a wonderful job, and we had a different cute little towel animals in the room daily!
Wildlife: There were agoutis, coati mundi`s, birds, lizards and two little tabby cats on the property. For the most part all staff seemed to be kind to the two little cats living there, who were a big hit with the guests. I did however see one custodian-groundskeeper lady scurry the cat up the path away from the restaurant, which is fine, but once he went into the bushes she threw a rock at him, and not gently. I was very sad and dissapointed to see this sort of behavior. I have been to a resort in the Playacar area before where the management has worked with a local animal rescue group to implement a spay neuter program for the resort cats, and a Cat Cafe which is where the cats have an area that they are fed and given fresh water twice daily and guests who want to interact with them can do so, and it also keeps them away from the resaurtants where some guests might not want them. I contacted a local group who will work with the Azteca to implement this program at their resort and left the contact information for the management, the cost is very small (a $30 donation per cat to cover the cost of the surgery). I hope that the Azteca will follow through and start this program at the resort, afterall, there is no reason not to.
Would I go back to the Azteca......only if they get on board with the ``Cat Cafe`program, otherwise I will take my business to the Resort up the road from them where they are already taking part in it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ChrystalF
Dear customer,

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Azteca as the destination for your recent holiday. We appreciate the time dedicated to write your opinion about your stay at our resort. We assure you that your feedback and suggestions will be taken into consideration.

Please do not forget that Viva Wyndham Azteca will be pleased to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Spent a week in the last week of February with myself and my son. The room was clean and comfortable. Food was good especially the Italian a la carte restaurant. Steaks were delicious and the service was lovely. One complaint about the a la carte....a man was allowed in with his shorts and Tshirt. Why should the men bother bringing long pants and the women dressing lovely when this is allowed. Waiters should be told there is no admittance unless you are appropriately dressed. Pool good and the beach is excellent. The pool bar is open 24/7 and serves pizza. Bar staff are friendly and give very good service. The lobby bar or courtyard bar is great. They have good entertainment Theme Nights. The dancers work really hard to give you a good show. All staff are nice and very helpful. There are no elevators on this resort. There is a small plaza about a five minute walk up from the resort. This resort is also in a gated community. You can walk into town in about a half an hour. Lovely walk. Playa Del Carmen is a lovely town. 5th Avenue I think goes for miles! You can also walk to town via the beach. My son said he would come again with his friends. I have been here before and enjoyed the resort then and also this time as well. I will return. I have just read a review and I must say that both times I have stayed I have never had anything stolen from my room. The only drawback was the 2 hour bus trip from the airport to the hotel. I think next time I will find out how much it cost for a taxi. There were a lot of Europeans and boy do they smoke a lot. There is no smoking in any of the restaurants just in the outdoor areas. Other than that it is a great resort.

Room Tip: Take a room that has the walkway instead of stairs. There are no elevators in this hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Linda S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback about your stay at our property.

It is really rewarding to read your positive comments and we are glad to know that your stay at Viva Wyndham Azteca was enjoyable. Be sure that we will consider your comments in order to improve our services.

Thank you for choosing our resort and for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My family with 2 teenage daughters stayed for 6 nights here. It is not a bad place for the money. We had a good experience overall. The food could be much better. There aren't that many healthy choices. But considering what most people prefer to eat (like french fries) they cater to that. The beach was excellant and so was the animation team. I do not personally beleive the staff are thiefs as some people wrote here. Everyone tastes are different. I personally would not come back here for a silly reason like the resort charging a 2 dollars daily safe fee. They should not charge for this as it free in most places.

Room Tip: Stay on the side of RIU as they appear to be updated
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
VivaDominicusBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear customer,

Thank you for your review on Viva Wyndham Azteca. We appreciate the time dedicated to write your opinion about your stay at our resort. We assure you that your feedback will be considered in order to ameliorate our services.

Best regards,

Hawkesbury, Canada
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We go two weeks from 23/02 2012 to 1st march and return from 20 to 27 march. We live in the part C of the hotel and the room are so confortable, so clean. The beach is so beautiful. We use the service of Sunwing for the first trip and the service of the hotel for the second trip for all excursion. The staff is so gentle and serviable, all at the disposition of us. All restaurant are good and the Maya restaurant is original. We recommanded really.

Room Tip: we read before going to Wyndham that the part C is so wet but we live in the part C for the two tri...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your valuable feedback about your stay at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

It is really rewarding to read your positive comments and we are glad to know that your stay at our hotel was enjoyable.

Thank you for choosing our resort and for taking the time writing this review and posting it on TripAdvisor.

Calgary
Reviewed 4 April 2012

This being our 8th stay at the Azteca I have to say how disappointed I was with the change in demographics. The frontline staff are awesome but the managemnet leaves a lot to be desitred. The introduction of Villaggi Bravos absolutely spoiled our stay. We will never go back.

Room Tip: Take lots of Allieve or Tylenol for the sore back from the beds.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank garryho123
Dear customer,

We appreciate the time you dedicated to write your remarks about your stay at Viva Wyndham Azteca. Your review will assist us in our commitment to improve our operations in all aspects.

We truly regret to not have been able to fulfill your expectations. Please accept a sincere apology for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your recent stay in the Mayan Riviera.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you at our resort.

Edmonton, Canada

!!!!!BEWARE TRAVELERS !!!!

WARNING TO ALL TRAVELERS AND GUESTS STAYING AT VIVA AZTECA THE STAFF AT THIS RESORT ARE THIEVES !!! INCLUDING THE ONES AT THE FRONT DESK.
I stayed at the Aztecta from march 26th to april 2 and the day before we were supposed to leave we came back to our room from the beach and noticed the cable on the TV was out and shortly after we noticed that our safe was unlocked and wouldnt re-lock. I reported the cable problem to the front desk and they came and fixed it and seconds after the tv was fixed our safe locked. We went through our stuff and realized thet we had been robbed or over $300 cash right our of our wallets. Momments later we realized that the THIEVES had gone through our bags as well.

I went up to the front desk and asked to speak with the manager and I asked her if the hotel had a system for when guests check out that they cancel the cable and neutralize the safe.?...She said "YES,HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS"? and thats when I told her that the staff are working together to rob the guests. I told her what had happened and she asked if I reported the cable problem so I told her yes...she checked it on the computer and she looked up a few other things but wouldnt tell me what she was checking and when she was done done she said she wouldnt be able to get my money back but she will launch an investigation because she found there was some suspicious activity with my room.

We found out earlier that day that a woman had her wallet stollen from the beach towell attendant and to my knoledge her wallet was never recovered. So these THIEVES work together and they move fast.

IF YOU NOTICE ANYTHING SUSPICOUS DONT SHAKE YOUR HEAD AND SECOND GUESS YOUR SELF........YOU'VE BEEN ROBBED BY THE STAFF AT THE VIVA AZTECA !!!!

Now to rate the quallity of the hotel its self and the food...its rated here as a 4 -4 1/2 star but its barely a 3 star. The food was gross the only decent meal was breakfast and good luck getting bacon ..they hide it behind the cheff that makes the ommelettes.....and the hotel stinks like a septick tank. in our room the closet doors were broken and the sliding doors leading to the balcony kept de-railing. The wall plugs when you unplugged from the wall would pull the soccket and wires right out of the wall..And one last thing...your better off sleeping on the floors the beds were harder then the floor and the sheets were discusting !!!

I want to thank those who read this review and I hope you warn others

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Cuda M
Dear customer,

Thank you for taking the time writing this review regarding your stay at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

We wish to notify you that your case was investigated conforming the procedures.

We regret to not have been able to meet your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
4.0 km away
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Viva Wyndham Azteca? Share your experiences!