“Beautiful Facility, Average Service”

Ranked #76 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed at the Azteca April 2 - April 9. The hotel property was immaculate, the beach was stunning, and the food was good. Excellent location, just minutes to the Playa Del Carmen Strip. Some rooms have been renovated and are very comfortable!

The only thing missing was the customer service, both at the front desk and bars. There was a lack of hospitality from the bartenders and concierge staff, they did not seem to care about the patrons (no matter how much you tipped them). The entertainment team was terrific, always enthusiastic and involved. The resort was in a gated village, so safety was not a concern.

MAKE SURE YOU TRY THE ITALIAN RESTAURANT... exceptional food quality and waiting service!!!!

Room Tip: Request the 1100 section of rooms; they are renovated with beautiful glass showers and newer furnitu...
1  Thank SeanFBQ
VivaDominicusBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Dear customer,

We really appreciate your review published on TripAdvisor.

We are grateful for your remarks and especially we are happy to know that you were able to enjoy your holiday at our resort. We can also assure you that your feedback regarding our customer service will be taken into account.

Thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Azteca and please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back anytime.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

My boyfriend and I (both in our mid-20s) just got back from a gorgeous week long vacation at the Viva Azteca. The beach was beautiful, the water clear, and there were always lounge chairs available (in the sun or the shade). This, I believe, is due to the fact that it is a smaller resort. While the downside to a smaller resort is that there is not much in the way of a "party" scene, everything is super close so going back to your room from the beach or grabbing a snack from the pool bar is just a quick walk. Our room was spacious, clean and quiet. The buffet food was standard: some good stuff, some not so good, but we always found something tasty to eat as there was a huge variety of food (and we are not picky eaters). We ate at Xul Ha (Mayan a la carte) at the Viva Azteca and Portofino (Mediterranean a la carte) at the Viva Mayan (just a 10 minute walk away). Xul Ha was disappointing - half of the food we ordered was super salty. But we loved eating outside on the patio and the service was excellent. Portofino was delicious and we definitely recommend it. Just be warned, the portions were big (at least for us) so try to pace yourself. The service everywhere was very good; everyone was really polite and friendly. It was also a nice treat to be able to visit the Viva Mayan for a change of scenery. We also took a day-trip to Xel Ha (activity park with snorkeling, cliff jumping, etc.) which is only a 45 minutes bus ride away and is definitely worth the trip.

Our only complaints would be the lack of a mini-bar in our room and no beach bar (though the pool bar was less than a 5 minute walk from the beach). Also, the resort's Animation staff advise you on a regular basis about upcoming activities. This may not be so bad if you didn't get asked more than once for the same activity. Also, we're not much for organized activities so it started to get old for us pretty fast. However, if you like activities it may not be as much of a deterrent for you.

We definitelty recommend visiting this resort - worth every penny.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor with a balcony facing the main path and didn't hear a thing from outsid...
3  Thank TG1111

Dear guest,

We appreciate your feedback on your recent stay at Viva Wyndham Azteca. Your opinion is valuable and we will take your suggestions into account.

We are glad to know that you had a great trip to Mexico. Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

We remain at your disposal.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

We are back from the Azteca today and we want to give top marks to this lovely resort. We were 10 people travelling together and everyone enjoyed their one week vacation.

- hard working staff that keeps the whole place clean and ensures there is no line up anywhere
- great animation team, very friendly
- spotless rooms, don't have to worry about paper or towels replacement
- customer satisfaction dedicated personnel
- quality and taste of food either at the buffet or at the restaurants are a nice surprise
- beautiful sandy beach...beach towel replacement at will...palapas and beach chairs in sufficient quantity...though we did not take any chance and spotted our chairs very early in the morning

Areas for improvement (not much):

- house wine (vino tinto) served at the buffet not worthy of the name
- safety box...please include this up front in the all inclusive package..15$ is not a deal breaker

All in all, this resort lives up to its promises and is a safe recommandation from us frequent travellers of the south.

Past the small and non impressive lobby/reception area, one discovers a beautiful and nicely layed out site that makes you feel intimate and appreciate your vacation experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank soyo40
VivaWyndhamAzteca, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear customer,

We appreciate the positive feedback on your recent stay at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Your opinion is very valuable to us as it is the most reliable source of information that can be used to improve our services and facilities. We assure you that we will take your suggestions into account. Also we would like to thank you for your positive comments and we are glad to know that your stay at Viva Wyndham Azteca was enjoyable for the entire group.

We look forward to welcoming you back at our resort.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

We spent a week at The Azteca. Originally booked at their sister resort down the road at the ViVa Wyndham Maya but got bumped to the Azteca a couple of days before we left home for the trip. The Azteca is on the smaller side compaired to the last resorts I have visited in the Playa Car area. The one major difference I noticed is that there is no wait staff, you just have to get up and serve yourself anytime you would want a drink which worked out ok. Sometimes its niced to be served while on vacation.
The layout of the resort is nice. The room was very clean and close to the beach, snack bar/pool, beach and looby bar. Nothing is to far from anything here. We had lovely towel art each day on our bed from the great cleaning staff. If you want to use the safe in the room its $2.00 a day, this should be included. Also there is a small bar fridge in the room but it only comes with about 5 non alcoholic beverages and once they are gone they do not refill it. There is a vending maching where you can but water if you like (yes you have to buy water at all inclusive). They say they do this to cut down on waste and recycling, the same reason why they don't give out straws in the drinks.
Food was alright. We had breakfast each day sitting outside at the only buffet as well as diner at the same place. Share my breakfast and diner with a cute cat that hangs outside there. I think they have 2 cats which leave you alone unless you call them over like I did. We lunched at the snack bar by the pool area most days where they have have pizza, burgers, hotdogs, nuggets, chips and fruit.
You get 3 dinner reservations for a 7 night stay at either of the 2 resorts which you should book as soon as you arrive. We ate at the oriental restaurant Bamboo, food was very good but a pretty flat atmosphere. Mexican restaurant Maya which is very nice sitting outside and great tasting food. And we also booked one up the road at the Maya Resort called Don Diegos which is mexican as well and was the best of the 3. Great food and and excellent staff. We sampled some tasty fruit flavoured tequillas that the friendly manager makes himself. All 3 of the restaurants we choose didn't seem to have and sort of dress code, just casual.
Entertainment staff was friendly and they do their best with some beach activities during the day and a nightly performance in their theater every night.
Shopping in 5th Street is about a 10-15 minute walk down the road or a $7.00US cab ride each way. Lots to see and do there.
Stay away from the Vacation Club breakfast. They can call what they want but its basically the same principles as a time share presetation.
The beach and location can't get any better. We never had difficulty finding a chair to relax on at the beach. Didn't spend much time at the pool which is smaller but looked like people were really enjoying that area as well.
Overall it was a nice place. I personally do perfer a little larger resort which is why we booked at the Maya. You can use the Maya as much as you please you just have to walk back and forth to get there which really isn't too far. They have a larger outdoor theater and a trapeze you can use which I would have liked to but never got the chance to experience it, I also think I saw a brick oven pizza at their snack bar but was not running when we were there. When we return to the area next time I don't think I would return to this resort and will try a out a diffrent one just for personlly preferences, nothing agains the Azteca.

2  Thank Yobyllib

Dear customer,

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Azteca as destination for your vacation.

We appreciate the time dedicated to write your opinion about your stay at our resort. We assure you that your feedback will be considered in order to ameliorate our services.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you at our resort and remember that we would be pleased to welcome you back anytime.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Came back this weekend and I want to share with others the excellent week at Viva Windham Azteca stay...
We were 5 travelling in 2 rooms, It`s a small resort but offer a lot. It's a very nice resort for family that are staying for a week. We visited 3 restaurants A la Carte. Bamboo (Asian) was very tasty, nice service, the Italian was nice, food was tasty as well. Since we were at Azteca, we were allowed to reserve at the Mexican at the Maya, food was very good too, it was our second time at the Mexican as we were staying at the Maya before, food was very good, never finished my plate as I was FULL :-)
Tequila are always good.. Every night in the Main area close to Lobby, Buffet there is a Coktail that the bar tender prepare the special drinks, most of them are either Tequila and Martini any kind, very pleasant. The Snack is very good, my kids enjoyed their burger in the afternoon and we had veggies and salads for the ones that wanted to eat healthy. Beach was good and the pool too.
A great Animation team makes our stay very good, they were very friendly and funny. The crazy games, Darts, VolleyBall, and other activities..

I would definitvely go back. walking distance to 5th Avenue Approx. 20 minutes or Taxi 7$ Playa Del Carmen and the ferry to Cozumel if you are interrested.
There are jet ski for rent, which I took advantage with my yougest son (15) and we really enjoyed it. The Sea was agitated, it was between yellow & red flag, but still worth it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SylPasc

Dear guest,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your family at Viva Wyndham Azteca during your recent vacations. It is a pleasure to read that you have been able to enjoy the services and facilities of both the Viva Wyndham Maya and Viva Wyndham Azteca.

We are happy to know that we have exceeded your expectations and we look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Just returned home from a one week stay at the Azteca. Overall it was a good experience. This was third stay in the area, this resorts was the smallest I have stayed at so far. It was nice to be able to get anywhere in the resorts within a couple of minutes, I think it would be a great size for people with young children.
Food: Buffet was good, sitting outside eating was enjoyable. The beach/snack bar area was good as well, nice to be able to just walk up in your bathing suit and grab some food. The Mayan was very nice, very pretty setting, food was good. Bamboo was ok, food was good, but the restaraunt was silent and had no ambiance. Went to Don Diego's at the Viva Maya resort and it was a lot of fun, great environment, good food.
Drinks: The drinks at this resort were very good, the blended drinks weren't too sweet and sugary like some resorts have. There is no waitstaff at the beach or the lobby bar areas, I must admit I missed having it, but it was ok, just gave the resort a much more casual sort of vibe.
Beach: The beach was beautiful here, the water was pretty wavy most days which was a ton of fun ton play in. There always seemed to be beach chairs available.
Pool: the pool was on the smaller side, we prefer the beach so did`t really use the pool, but it never looked overly crowded or anything.
Staff: The staff here were nice enough, they were almost reserved I guess you could say, this is where I think there could be some improvements, other resorts I have been to the staff have made a huge impression on me with there enthusiasm and friendliness, I didn`t have that experience at the Azteca.
Rooms: The rooms were fine, clean, the cleaning staff do a wonderful job, and we had a different cute little towel animals in the room daily!
Wildlife: There were agoutis, coati mundi`s, birds, lizards and two little tabby cats on the property. For the most part all staff seemed to be kind to the two little cats living there, who were a big hit with the guests. I did however see one custodian-groundskeeper lady scurry the cat up the path away from the restaurant, which is fine, but once he went into the bushes she threw a rock at him, and not gently. I was very sad and dissapointed to see this sort of behavior. I have been to a resort in the Playacar area before where the management has worked with a local animal rescue group to implement a spay neuter program for the resort cats, and a Cat Cafe which is where the cats have an area that they are fed and given fresh water twice daily and guests who want to interact with them can do so, and it also keeps them away from the resaurtants where some guests might not want them. I contacted a local group who will work with the Azteca to implement this program at their resort and left the contact information for the management, the cost is very small (a $30 donation per cat to cover the cost of the surgery). I hope that the Azteca will follow through and start this program at the resort, afterall, there is no reason not to.
Would I go back to the Azteca......only if they get on board with the ``Cat Cafe`program, otherwise I will take my business to the Resort up the road from them where they are already taking part in it.

4  Thank ChrystalF

Dear customer,

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Azteca as the destination for your recent holiday. We appreciate the time dedicated to write your opinion about your stay at our resort. We assure you that your feedback and suggestions will be taken into consideration.

Please do not forget that Viva Wyndham Azteca will be pleased to welcome you back.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

Spent a week in the last week of February with myself and my son. The room was clean and comfortable. Food was good especially the Italian a la carte restaurant. Steaks were delicious and the service was lovely. One complaint about the a la carte....a man was allowed in with his shorts and Tshirt. Why should the men bother bringing long pants and the women dressing lovely when this is allowed. Waiters should be told there is no admittance unless you are appropriately dressed. Pool good and the beach is excellent. The pool bar is open 24/7 and serves pizza. Bar staff are friendly and give very good service. The lobby bar or courtyard bar is great. They have good entertainment Theme Nights. The dancers work really hard to give you a good show. All staff are nice and very helpful. There are no elevators on this resort. There is a small plaza about a five minute walk up from the resort. This resort is also in a gated community. You can walk into town in about a half an hour. Lovely walk. Playa Del Carmen is a lovely town. 5th Avenue I think goes for miles! You can also walk to town via the beach. My son said he would come again with his friends. I have been here before and enjoyed the resort then and also this time as well. I will return. I have just read a review and I must say that both times I have stayed I have never had anything stolen from my room. The only drawback was the 2 hour bus trip from the airport to the hotel. I think next time I will find out how much it cost for a taxi. There were a lot of Europeans and boy do they smoke a lot. There is no smoking in any of the restaurants just in the outdoor areas. Other than that it is a great resort.

Room Tip: Take a room that has the walkway instead of stairs. There are no elevators in this hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda S

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback about your stay at our property.

It is really rewarding to read your positive comments and we are glad to know that your stay at Viva Wyndham Azteca was enjoyable. Be sure that we will consider your comments in order to improve our services.

Thank you for choosing our resort and for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
36.2 km away
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#16 of 21 in Akumal

Been to Viva Wyndham Azteca? Share your experiences!