A great deal of time and research went in to selecting this property, before making our reservations several months ago. My wife and I were quite eager to vacation here. Fast forward to May 2nd, 2012....after an exhausting day of travel, we arrived at the front desk to check-in, ready to get settled in and relax. Not so fast...
My wife and I were greeted by Angel at the front desk and informed we'd been "upgraded." Fantastic right? Nope. My wife and I were advised we would not be staying here, but would be shipped off to the Riu Yucatan. I asked if we may kindly decline the upgrade as we wished to stay here, as we'd planned. The story then changed from "you've been upgraded" to a "we have no rooms."
Angel blamed the problem on faulty air conditioners and claimed there were simply no rooms available at this resort. I later concluded (based on things I heard from other resorts, travelers and my observations of the numerous occupants) they simply overbooked. Regardless of the justification for our displacement, we were forced to gather our luggage, get a taxi and go elsewhere.
Thankfully this frustrating start to our vacation did not set the tone for the entire trip and we had an enjoyable time at a competing resort. After this experience, I will not be doing any further business with Wyndham properties.
You may elect to book here and will more than likely have a terrific experience. I am not the first one to post about similar problems with Wyndham and I wish I'd have heeded the advise of some of the less favorable reviews.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Be close to everything. White sand beaches. Mayan ruins. Lush jungles. A championship golf course. And exciting nightlife. The Wyndham Azteca All-Inclusive Resort, a stunning resort on the breathtaking Mayan Riviera on the east coast of the Yucatan, has it all. And it's just 45 minutes from Cancun International Airport in Mexico. Explore captivating Mayan ruins. Find your own private seaside cove, or experience the fun in the sun and nightlife of Playa Del Carmen, just two miles away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Travelocity.ca, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Viva Wyndham Azteca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viva Wyndham Azteca Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Viva Azteca
- Wyndham Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Viva Azteca
- Playa Del Carmen Wyndham
- Viva Wyndham Azteca Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico