“Sent Packing”

Ranked #75 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 8 May 2012

A great deal of time and research went in to selecting this property, before making our reservations several months ago. My wife and I were quite eager to vacation here. Fast forward to May 2nd, 2012....after an exhausting day of travel, we arrived at the front desk to check-in, ready to get settled in and relax. Not so fast...

My wife and I were greeted by Angel at the front desk and informed we'd been "upgraded." Fantastic right? Nope. My wife and I were advised we would not be staying here, but would be shipped off to the Riu Yucatan. I asked if we may kindly decline the upgrade as we wished to stay here, as we'd planned. The story then changed from "you've been upgraded" to a "we have no rooms."

Angel blamed the problem on faulty air conditioners and claimed there were simply no rooms available at this resort. I later concluded (based on things I heard from other resorts, travelers and my observations of the numerous occupants) they simply overbooked. Regardless of the justification for our displacement, we were forced to gather our luggage, get a taxi and go elsewhere.

Thankfully this frustrating start to our vacation did not set the tone for the entire trip and we had an enjoyable time at a competing resort. After this experience, I will not be doing any further business with Wyndham properties.

You may elect to book here and will more than likely have a terrific experience. I am not the first one to post about similar problems with Wyndham and I wish I'd have heeded the advise of some of the less favorable reviews.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Kyle H
VivaDominicusBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Dear customer,

Please accept a sincere apology for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your recent stay in the Mayan Riviera. We appreciate the time you dedicated to write your remarks about your vacation. Your review will assist us in our commitment to improve our operations.

We remain at your disposal.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

Nice location, clean rooms, nice beach. close to Playa Del Carmen. I walked into town.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Dear customer,

Thank your for recommending our resort on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your positive feedback.

Please remember that we will be pleased to welcome you back anytime.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 May 2012

Stayed at the Azteca April 24-May 1st. Hotel property was absolutely gorgeous, with gardeners working on it almost every day. The rooms were very clean, as were the rest of the facilities. The beach was beautiful (water to our necks and we could still see our feet), without rocks, clean, and with many water sports and lessons included (catamaran, windsurfing, boogyboard). The buffet and snack bar were repetitive but the food quality was fairly good, and the a-la-carte restos were good as well. The resort was quite small and intimate and we were lucky to have a room on the first floor as we could leave and come back from our room as we pleased onto the gardens. The other floors seemed to have a quite limited balcony space. The service was excellent, although the shows in the evening were pretty bad. 15 minute walk to Playa del Carmen and full access to the Viva Wyndham Maya. We went on an excursion to Cozumel and one to Coba and adored both. Overall a fantastic trip that we would not hesitate to reserve again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor have easier access to resort (higher floors barely have a balcony)
2  Thank Marie d

Dear customer,

We sincerely appreciate your positive review regarding your recent vacation to the Riviera Maya.

It is really rewarding to read your positive comments and we are glad to know that your stay at our hotel was enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Just returned last week from the Viva Azteca. This was a 'mother / daughter' trip - my 3rd trip to Playa and my moms first....

The bus was waiting at the airport for us, we drove directly to Playacar and dropped people off at various resorts before arriving at Viva. Check in was quick and efficient, we were greeted with a tropical beverage. Check in isn't until 3pm, we had a few hours before we could access our room. The wonderful bell boys, Angel and Manuel watched our luggage while we checked out the resort.

The resort is housed within a gated community and has about 270 rooms. It's small and quaint and we felt very safe. Everything is literally a 2 minute walk away no matter where you are. I loved this! There is one buffet, one snack bar, lobby bar and 3 a la cartes.

We stayed in room 2332. Third floor of the second block of buildings. We were central to everything. The room was clean and spacious. The beds weren't as firm as previous vacations, this was a pleasant surprise! AC kept the room cool. There is a french balcony. Just big enough to stand out on and take in the view or hang some clothes to dry. No chairs on the balcony. There is a mini fridge, filled with pepsi, sprite, tonic water and bottled water. We left a note for our maid asking for another bottle of water and that was request was satisfied. The maid cleaned our room above expectations and left beautiful towel art on the bed.

The in room safe is $2.00 per day. I will never understand why this fee isn't included when you book, but we paid the extra fee upon check in for access to the safe. No issues with it, worked fine.

I was concerned with complaints of 'paper thin walls' in previous reviews. I did not hear anyone in the rooms next to us, however did hear people in the hallways, doors closing etc. That is to be expected.
I also want to note that I was surprised by complaints of no elevators in previous reviews. We were on the top, 3rd floor and you only encounter two flights of stairs. I was in a car accident almost a year ago and have a bad back/neck and this wasn't a big deal at all. I definatley couldn't manage my luggage on my own up and down the stairs, but just have the bellboys assist. When we were checking out, I called the front desk and they came immediately to help with our suitcases.

The buffet was clean and good. It's not a gigantic buffet, however is well proportioned for the size of the resort. The food variety wasn't huge, but the food was good. The pasta station was amazing and the omelletes in the morning were the perfect start to the day. Service in the buffet was fast - never waited long for a drink and our empty dishes were cleared immediately. There is seating inside the buffet as well as tables outside in the courtyard.
Evenings are themed - Mexican, Oriental, International and Seafood. A martini bar is set up outside in the courtyard each night as well, serving your choice of a special beverage. Inside there was an area that served various specialties, changing nightly with the theme - we had pork on the spit for tacos, crepes and flambe bananas - all were delicious!

We did not eat at any of the a la cartes as we often ate at restaurants in PDC for dinner.

The snack bar was decent, better than other snack bars I have encountered on vacation. Lots to choose from, great pizzas, fries, rice, spring rolls, veggies, pork/chicken/burgers/dogs and the best guacamole and salsa you will find. Great service, great drinks and cappuccinos. The snack bar has a wonderful view of the pool and the beach.

The pool was on the small side, but never crowded and always clean. Various activities lead by the animation staff were held in the pool - aqua gym, dancing, volleyball, crazy games etc. My mom had fun participating in some 'tequila volleyball' one afternoon and had a hard time getting out of the pool after that, lol......We are mainly beach people, but did enjoy the pool one afternoon. Lots of chairs and shaded areas. Music was played at the pool and I loved that it wasn't only 'top 40' songs. Lots of spanish songs - really set the atmosphere. Loved it!

The beach is gorgeous and underwent a major restoration a few years ago - no more sand whales. Lots of chairs, even if you were just getting to the beach in the afternoon. Many loungers shaded with palapas, if you wanted these you did have to get up fairly early to reserve them. If you were ok with a lounger in the sun, no need to get up at 6am. Beautiful clear blue, warm waters and white sand. Lots of activity along the beach - seadoos, parasailing, hobiecats and windsurfing. There is a buoyed area for swimmers and the watersports have their own area. The seaweed was cleaned up early every morning by hard working staff. Lifeguards are on duty. If you manage to wake up early, be sure to head to the beach for sunrise. It is amazing - Directly over the water and should not be missed. Everyday should start this way!

All staff we encountered were friendly hard working. The animation staff always asked for participation, but understood if you were relaxing and working on your tan. They are energetic, hard working and fun. They put in long days! We made it to one show in the evening and it was great! We were disappointed to have not gone sooner! The Lobby Bar then transformed into a mini disco where a DJ played great music. There was also kareoke in the lobby bar a few evenings as well.
Christina at the concierge desk was amazing, so friendly and sweet. Lu booked us a great excursion and Angel and Manuel carried our luggage when checking in and checking out. Since the resort is small, you really get to know the staff and build a wonderful rapport with them.

There are towel cards. In my three trips to Mexcio, this was a first for me. No big deal though. You can change your towels are often as you need and when you're ready to check out, they give the towel card to provide to the front desk. Check out is at noon, so if you are leaving later, keep your towel and you can turn in your cards later. If you need a shower to freshen up before leaving, you can grab one in the gym. No courtesy rooms here. The resort is small and they were at capacity when we were there....You luggage is stored in a locked room until you are ready to leave.

When going into Playa Del Carmen, we asked the front desk to call a taxi for us. Taxis arrived promptly and only cost $7.00 USD to take you into town. You are also within walking distance to Playa as well, I believe it's about a 10-15 minute walk.

Within Playacar, is a shopping plaza about a 5 minute walk away. Lots of souvenir shops and a Starbucks if you need your fix. The community is beautiful with well manicured streets. Houses, condos, a golf course and resorts make up this area. It's safe to venture out, makes for a wonderful morning / evening walk.

All in all, we had a wonderful vacation. The weather was hot and the drinks were cold. This resort exceeded the expectations I had based on reviewed I read before travelling. The proximity to Playa was awesome, the staff were friendly, food was good and the resort was clean. Excellent value and we would love to return!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
13  Thank BeccaBee09

Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your mother at Viva Wyndham Azteca during your recent vacations.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities.
Furthermore, we are happy to know that we exceeded your expectations. Our customer's satisfaction is our constant goal.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 April 2012

Just returned from Wyndham Azteca April 2012. A few things...

Staff was very friendly, the resort very clean. Many activities on a daily basis if that is what you like (volleyball, ping pong, bikes, etc.). If you prefer quiet, you really can't hear the music they play at the pool on the beach.

The buffet and snack bar was fine, many options but nothing spectacular. The Italian restaraunt was excellent, we ate there twice since our teens liked it so much. The dessert selection wasn't very appealing, our teens didn't find much that they liked so that says something right there. It seems like, for ease I am sure, the chefs stuck to fillings / ingredients (i.e. cream for example) that could be presented in desserts that looked different but were essentially the same and had the same ingredients - so there weren't many options on a nightly basis. Perhaps some additional ice cream flavors or a variety of cookies on a nightly basis would be a nice addition just for variety purposes.

The drinks, even juices, seemed to be watered down. Perhaps we don't know how to order drinks or get on the good side of bartenders but don't expect much on the alcohol side. Even after trying a couple of different top shelf vodkas...they tasted the same (yes taste does differ from vodka to vodka. they were all bad).

We had a first floor room by the pool and closer to the ocean so it was a little musty and moister than I believe 2nd and 3rd floor rooms would be but we liked the location so we opted for a dehumidifier that sucked all of the moisture from the air. Seriously, we emptied the receptacle that collected the water from the air 2 or 3 times a day, but that is to be expected given the location of the hotel. You noticed the difference in mustiness simply walking from the 1st floor to the 2nd but again we liked the easy access to & from pool & ocean so we opted to stay there. The room was a very nice size, plenty of room for two adults and two teens. Room fit two double/queen beds plus a cot. Bathroom area provided plenty of privacy. (Hotel staff if reviewing this...a garbage can in the bedroom area would be helpful and kleenex would be nice.)

Our room had a soap and shampoo dispenser so bring your own bar soap / shampoo if you are sensitive or picky. The beds were actually more comfortable than some we have slept on in Cancun & Playa. I was actually able to sleep fairly well as the beds aren't as rock hard as I had expected them to be.

You need to purchase your own bottled water for brushing teeth, etc. for the room which we found to be a little unusual but you can walk down the street to the market to purchase big jugs if you want.

Not as many english speaking guests as we have encountered at other hotels in the area, which is fine with us but our teens were a little disappointed as they were unable to make friends like they have in the past. Many Italians & Germans from what we could tell. Also, people from Argentinia, Poland, and France I believe.

All in all, a nice resort for what you pay. Beautiful location. Everyone had fun. We would return.

Room Tip: If moist / musty smell bothers you don't stay on the first floor where you are closer to pool an...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank jibreach

Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at Viva Wyndham Azteca.
We are glad to know that you had the chance to enjoy your vacation at our resort. It is a pleasure to know that our services and facilities met with your expectations. Also we will consider your observations made in your review.

Thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed at the Azteca April 2 - April 9. The hotel property was immaculate, the beach was stunning, and the food was good. Excellent location, just minutes to the Playa Del Carmen Strip. Some rooms have been renovated and are very comfortable!

The only thing missing was the customer service, both at the front desk and bars. There was a lack of hospitality from the bartenders and concierge staff, they did not seem to care about the patrons (no matter how much you tipped them). The entertainment team was terrific, always enthusiastic and involved. The resort was in a gated village, so safety was not a concern.

MAKE SURE YOU TRY THE ITALIAN RESTAURANT... exceptional food quality and waiting service!!!!

Room Tip: Request the 1100 section of rooms; they are renovated with beautiful glass showers and newer furnitu...
1  Thank SeanFBQ

Dear customer,

We really appreciate your review published on TripAdvisor.

We are grateful for your remarks and especially we are happy to know that you were able to enjoy your holiday at our resort. We can also assure you that your feedback regarding our customer service will be taken into account.

Thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Azteca and please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back anytime.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

My boyfriend and I (both in our mid-20s) just got back from a gorgeous week long vacation at the Viva Azteca. The beach was beautiful, the water clear, and there were always lounge chairs available (in the sun or the shade). This, I believe, is due to the fact that it is a smaller resort. While the downside to a smaller resort is that there is not much in the way of a "party" scene, everything is super close so going back to your room from the beach or grabbing a snack from the pool bar is just a quick walk. Our room was spacious, clean and quiet. The buffet food was standard: some good stuff, some not so good, but we always found something tasty to eat as there was a huge variety of food (and we are not picky eaters). We ate at Xul Ha (Mayan a la carte) at the Viva Azteca and Portofino (Mediterranean a la carte) at the Viva Mayan (just a 10 minute walk away). Xul Ha was disappointing - half of the food we ordered was super salty. But we loved eating outside on the patio and the service was excellent. Portofino was delicious and we definitely recommend it. Just be warned, the portions were big (at least for us) so try to pace yourself. The service everywhere was very good; everyone was really polite and friendly. It was also a nice treat to be able to visit the Viva Mayan for a change of scenery. We also took a day-trip to Xel Ha (activity park with snorkeling, cliff jumping, etc.) which is only a 45 minutes bus ride away and is definitely worth the trip.

Our only complaints would be the lack of a mini-bar in our room and no beach bar (though the pool bar was less than a 5 minute walk from the beach). Also, the resort's Animation staff advise you on a regular basis about upcoming activities. This may not be so bad if you didn't get asked more than once for the same activity. Also, we're not much for organized activities so it started to get old for us pretty fast. However, if you like activities it may not be as much of a deterrent for you.

We definitelty recommend visiting this resort - worth every penny.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor with a balcony facing the main path and didn't hear a thing from outsid...
3  Thank TG1111

Dear guest,

We appreciate your feedback on your recent stay at Viva Wyndham Azteca. Your opinion is valuable and we will take your suggestions into account.

We are glad to know that you had a great trip to Mexico. Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

We remain at your disposal.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
36.2 km away
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#16 of 21 in Akumal

Been to Viva Wyndham Azteca? Share your experiences!