I gave this place a 3 star review reflecting many features that are 5 star and some which are 1 star. Things about this place that are excellent:
1) High end design of the resort. Its brand new and in top notch condition. The building materials are of very high quality, high end decor, excellent fit and finish. Nothing feels cheap or that they have short changed the building quality in any way. Perhaps not on the level of a Four Season or Ritz but pretty close.
2) Outstanding rooms - brand new, I don't think mine had been used by a prior guest. The junior suite I had was massive and had so many amenities, to the point that I did not take advantage of some of them, such as the hot tub on both the exterior (on the balcony) and in the bathroom. My suite had 2 hot tubs, 2 tvs, very nice bathroom/shower, kitchenette, great king size bed.
3) Food was excellent - from discussion among the guests there was uniform opinion that the food was a definite strong point compared with other resorts. It does not rank up there with the best north american city restaurants but pretty close.
4) Gym facilities were excellent and appreciated by many guests.
5) Service - lots of staff that consistently greet you warmly and attend to your needs.
1) Beach - while they offer standard beach club amenities like lounge chairs, and drink service, the drawback of the beach - and its a big one - is that the swimming area contains coral reefs. As you enter the water, the first 10 feet are fine but then you hit the rocks and reefs and it is very uncomfortable from this point onwards. After my experience on the first day, I cut my swim short and never went back in. Given the beaches available elsewhere in the Caribbean and Mexico, this was a disappointment.
2) *Overall vibe/tone of the resort*. If your main goal of a resort vacation is to de-stress at the pool during the day and eat great food at night, then this is a good resort. However, if you want a little bit of a 'scene' or something to stimulate you on a cultural or social level - this is the biggest weak point of this resort. A large percent of hotel guests were there in groups of 100 or 200 as part of corporate retreats and sales incentive trips and these folks naturally kept to themselves. So when you deducted them from the totals, there were insufficient 'regular' travellers to create a decent social scene. So while the staff claimed high occupancy rates, the place often felt dead (further to similar comments made by other reviewers). The isolated vibe that the place gave off was also due to its bad location in a sketchy neighbourhood on the outskirts of Playa.
In summing up, I would say that while it ranks very well on most of the attributes typically used to score resorts, there was no personality to the place, and it sometimes gave off an empty and disconnected vibe.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla is a hotel catering to the discerning all-inclusive traveler. With 58 swim-up suites, opulent furnishings, and international cuisine prepared by award-winning chefs, this adults-only hotel is a crowd pleaser. Rooms feature special touches like deep soaker tubs and rainfall showers. Marble floors, flat-screen TVs, Minibar, in-room safe, free Wi-Fi, coffee maker, bathrobes and slippers, cable TV service and a DVD/CD player compliment the trendy interior design. Stay active with water sports like aqua aerobics, yoga, zumba and volleyball, or visit the spacious fitness facility. The Spa offers a wet and dry sauna($). Try a different menu every night with 14 restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity and Booking.com so you can book your Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla Riviera Maya, Mexico