“Great in some ways, not in others” 3 of 5 bubbles

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Ranked #19 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“Great in some ways, not in others”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I gave this place a 3 star review reflecting many features that are 5 star and some which are 1 star. Things about this place that are excellent:

1) High end design of the resort. Its brand new and in top notch condition. The building materials are of very high quality, high end decor, excellent fit and finish. Nothing feels cheap or that they have short changed the building quality in any way. Perhaps not on the level of a Four Season or Ritz but pretty close.
2) Outstanding rooms - brand new, I don't think mine had been used by a prior guest. The junior suite I had was massive and had so many amenities, to the point that I did not take advantage of some of them, such as the hot tub on both the exterior (on the balcony) and in the bathroom. My suite had 2 hot tubs, 2 tvs, very nice bathroom/shower, kitchenette, great king size bed.
3) Food was excellent - from discussion among the guests there was uniform opinion that the food was a definite strong point compared with other resorts. It does not rank up there with the best north american city restaurants but pretty close.
4) Gym facilities were excellent and appreciated by many guests.
5) Service - lots of staff that consistently greet you warmly and attend to your needs.

Weak points:

1) Beach - while they offer standard beach club amenities like lounge chairs, and drink service, the drawback of the beach - and its a big one - is that the swimming area contains coral reefs. As you enter the water, the first 10 feet are fine but then you hit the rocks and reefs and it is very uncomfortable from this point onwards. After my experience on the first day, I cut my swim short and never went back in. Given the beaches available elsewhere in the Caribbean and Mexico, this was a disappointment.

2) *Overall vibe/tone of the resort*. If your main goal of a resort vacation is to de-stress at the pool during the day and eat great food at night, then this is a good resort. However, if you want a little bit of a 'scene' or something to stimulate you on a cultural or social level - this is the biggest weak point of this resort. A large percent of hotel guests were there in groups of 100 or 200 as part of corporate retreats and sales incentive trips and these folks naturally kept to themselves. So when you deducted them from the totals, there were insufficient 'regular' travellers to create a decent social scene. So while the staff claimed high occupancy rates, the place often felt dead (further to similar comments made by other reviewers). The isolated vibe that the place gave off was also due to its bad location in a sketchy neighbourhood on the outskirts of Playa.

In summing up, I would say that while it ranks very well on most of the attributes typically used to score resorts, there was no personality to the place, and it sometimes gave off an empty and disconnected vibe.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank paw677078

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,783)
  • Hebrew first
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

I am a travel agent and stayed at this resort right after they opened in November 2011. I have traveled extensively but I have NEVER had an experience as glorious as this ! During the entire stay I was treated like ROYALTY - - the front desk, the spa, the restaurants, even the workers who were putting finishing touches on the resort.

In all my life I have never tasted food as delicious as EVERYTHING we had here - - breakfast, lunch and dinner were better than any food I have ever eaten anywhere ! It felt like we had our own personal servers at each restaurant - - everyone was so attentive.

They were still working on access to the beach and facilities beachside when we were there, and the main part of the resort is a short walk from the beach, but the rest of the resort is so divine that you would never even really have to go to the beach and your vacation would still be beyond compare !!

The evening entertainment was unique and varied, but always enjoyable. The spa was completely beyond my expectations - - you could spend an entire day there easily ! The rooms were beautiful and the decor or the entire resort was aesthetically pleasing - - everything blended to instill a relaxing atmosphere, yet still artistically stimulating.

If you want a once in a lifetime experience - - BOOK THIS RESORT ! My only hope is that the personalized service continues once the resort becomes busier. Thank you again for an unforgettable retreat from everyday life !

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank watermommy6
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

This was our second trip to Mexico (the first being last year to Cabo Azul in San Jose Del Cabo - WOW). While we much preferred the Carribean ocean to the Pacific, we felt that the location of the resort was a little...sketchy. We were shocked to drive up to the property, and see the shape the "outside" town was in. I know...it's Mexico...but I still was not prepared. We did not venture off of the resort unless by cab to go to 5th Avenue, as we just didn't feel it would be safe. We were essentially "stuck" to the resort, the beachfront, and excursions by cabs. The resort is nice...it's HUGE! But we definitely were not "wowed" by it. It is connected to La Esmerelda (the family side). We read the reviews before booking, and have to say that we did not encounter kids on the Adult side ever...not to say they weren't there, but we never saw any (unless it was while dining at one of the buffet resto's). We did eat at 7 of the onsite resto's. Mole was our absolute favorite! YUM! We did Passion, La Palapa (Diego is the BEST server at this resort hands down!!!), Vento, the Grill, and the Market (as well as the buffet for breaky, lunch, etc.). The food was ok...the drinks were not really for us...they tasted almost plastic-y...? I don't know how else to describe it...

We did a couple of excursions. The first was ATV'ing and a speed boat trip. Had fun with this. The next was Tulum and then snorkelling with the turtles. The Tulum trip would have been amazing if not for our guide...he stopped too often to educate us on the history (I get it buddy, but seriously....it's called GOOGLE, and we all know how to use it!!! ) and show us pictures from a binder, and didn't let us wander on our own enough for my liking...we ended up missing quite a bit of the phenomenon that is Tulum...it's gorgeous there (what I got to see of it, anyway...). The snorkelling (our first time) was nothing less than spectacular. They have a photographer on staff that goes out with the group, and they take amazing pictures of you underwater with all of the different ocean wildlife ($35 US for the DVD after - SO worth it!). SO MUCH FUN!!

We had the option to upgrade our room to the Royal Service (for free as part of our booking), but declined. I don't think we missed out on much...we booked all of our own dinner reservations, and excursions, and our room was very comfortable. You definitely hear your neighbours above you...the rooms are not very well insulated (you can hear them walking or stomping around, hear when their phone rings, etc.). We had a one bedroom swim up suite with a direct view of the mangroves. Like I said...nice, comfortable room, but we were just not "wowed" by it or the scenery. By looking at the resort from the beach, it would seem that there are only a select few rooms that would give you an ocean view.

The beach is very rocky (as most people have attested to). We both got banged up pretty good in the water, or just walking along the beach not paying attention...but the water is spectactular. Exactly how the pictures are...blue and green, and aqua....warm, inviting...very nice water. The seaweed is out of control...but the resorts all the way down the beach try very hard to keep it clean.

So...while we have no real complaints about the resort (service was good, food was ok, etc.), we just were not blown away by anything in particular, and would not return to Paradisus La Perla. We will definitely return to the Carribean side of Mexico, but will try somewhere new...maybe Isla Mujeres, or Cancun...?

4 Thank NewTraveler35
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I traveled on Feb 16 for a week. Hotel is a bit unorganized as it's new. Rooms are beautiful and food is very good. only down fall of this hotel is the beach on the Adult side. You will not be able to swim, very dangerous. We hang around the family side beach which was much nicer. We went with a group of 275 people and the only mishap I heard was that a cell phone was stolen from a room. When reported to security, they where told that no one went into the room. However we are sure they came through the adjoining room. Maid service was very slow. We would return from the beach after lunch for a nap and room was not done. We had to ask all the time that for our fridge to be re stocked.

Other than that all was good.

3 Thank marenko
Turin, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Paradisus La Perla is a great resort a couple of kilometers away from the center of Playa del Carmen. The hotel has good facilities, including about 10 restaurants and direct access to the beach.
The construction problems that were reported in the first comments here on tripadvisor have definitively been solved.
I was travelling alone and my room was in the Royal Service building. The room was very spacious, with a large 2-person shower, a large bath-tub and a big Jacuzzi on the terrace. The terrace itself was very big, with 2 armchairs and 2 deckchairs for sun-bathing. The room was very quiet. Only once there was a problem with a neighbor, which was dealt with immediately by the butler.

I tried most of the restaurants in the resort, except for the Japanese and for the 2 ones that required elegant clothes, because I had no elegant clothes with me. (Thank you Travelplan for not advising about that despite my explicit question on this matter before starting my holiday.)
Food was great in all restaurants that I tried, in particular in the "Lapalapa" restaurant which is, in my opinion, the nearest to the European taste.

Service in restaurants
The service is good in all restaurants. There are plenty of waiters going around, although this gives sometimes a sense of "anarchy". Sometimes 2 waiters in a row would come to take my order, or the food would arrive twice. Again I must say that although the service is generally good in all restaurants, "Lapalapa" deserves a special mention. Felipe at breakfast and lunch and Karla in the evening are excellent people that take absolute care of the customer and make him/her feel completely at ease.

Wines
The selection of wines is very good. Try the "Caba" white sparkling wine before dinner as appetizer! It's really worth it.

Reservations
This thing that you needed to reserve a place in restaurants was, to be honest, quite a nuisance for me. Especially when you saw that restaurants were half empty. But what can we do? As I said service was quite good, so maybe the reservation has the purpose of keeping the number of customers within certain levels at all times to ensure the best service.

Butlers and reception
But the best thing about the resort is the butlers and reception staff. THEY ARE JUST GREAT. All of them. I can mention Elenit and Karen because they were the ones that I dealt with the most. But all the butlers and the people at the reception were always available for all sorts of suggestion and help and would inquire continuously about how happy I was with everything.

Critical points
I think that the most critical point of this resort is that they are targeting two completely different types of customers: the ones that look for peace and rest and the ones that look for parties. I stayed for 14 nights and in this period I have noticed that the pool by the "Lapalapa" restaurant is normally quiet, but people shouting, playing with rugby ball in the water or in general showing loud behaviour are also accepted. Some rooms have direct access to swimming pools. In one of them I’ve seen people turning the music very loud while partying with drinks in the swimming pool right outside the room. The hotel tolerated this, and sent its staff to clean the pool and the grass nearby afterwards. This is in my opinion a very bad message that the hotel gives to the other guests. The message is that you can do whatever you want in your room and the hotel staff will even come and clean.

I understand that it is not easy to turn down guests or to tell them that something is not allowed. But you need to make choices. Personally I was very disturbed from seeing people use the common areas as if they were their property or from having to change pool because the people were loud. I think a good compromise would be to define which areas are for partying (for instance the beach) and which ones are for relax, but then this decision should be “enforced”.

I think that Paradisus La Perla, which only opened in November 2011, will find a way to reconcile these two guest types.
All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Dave1976_12
Gilson, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

We stayed in the LaPerle from Feb. 2-8 and had an absolutely wonderful trip! We were with a group of 45 and that was, by far, the best part. It's so much fun to go with others, unless you are honeymooning. The rooms are beautiful, spacious and everything is very clean. We stayed on the top floor, 3rd floor, (NOT ROYAL SERVICE) and felt it was the best floor to stay unless you feel that you really need the swim-up rooms which are more expensive. You can see the ocean from there and see the entire pool and garden area. It was a little hard to find your way around at first, as it is a huge resort. The food was very good and we enjoyed the variety with so many different types of food. The breakfast buffet was always good. All the staff was very friendly and tried their best to make our stay as fun as possible. We took the ferry to Cozemul one day (just take a cab to the dock -about 10 minutes-$10 ride). The ferry is $12.50 each way. Just get a one way ticket over and then you can buy your ticket back when you get ready to come back so you can come back whenever you want. We also chartered a sail boat and snorkeled from Cancun to the Isle of Mujeres and took a day trip to Chichen Itza, the Mayan Ruins. Although the weather was cloudy and a little rainy at times, it was warm and the ocean water was nice too. The pool water was cold, but the swim-up bar and bartender made up for it. I would definitely recommend this hotel as there is something for everyone. The LaPerle side is adult only, but there is also a family side of the hotel as well. The landscaping will be beautiful as it is still in the works, this being a new hotel opening last November. We felt very safe at the hotel and in PlayadelCarman shopping as well. We had a minor maintance issue which was taken care of within 30 minutes, even with a follow-up call to make sure it got taken care of. We would stay in a Melia Paradisus property again. This one was one of the best!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank bec57
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

The one thing I cannot stand about reviews or "reviewers" is that the opinions given are very strong, as if they are right and others are wrong. I just read a review or shall i say "some reviews" who feel as if other travelers complaints are not valid because they personally experienced a different vacation experience. Well guess what? everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and because someone personally did not experience a bad trip doesn't make someone else a liar or complainer. Just had to throw that out there for all readers reading this. You are likely to enjoy Paradisus very much. It is beautiful, and the service can be great depending on where you eat, or stay. I stayed here in February for a week. We had a good time, but there were some bumps, and service issues that the hotel has to get in order..

I also have noticed that most of the GREAT reviews have come from ones who either were "upgraded" (free) to Royal service or paid for the upgrade to royal service. I think it is a very BAD practice to make other travelers who did NOT pay for royal service feel as if their vacation could have been better if they were upgraded or paid for royal service. Paying almost $5,000.00 for a trip is not cheap whether your in royal service or not. I have to say I am disappointed that this hotel treats royal service guest better than the ones who paid the same price to stay at this resort (or nearly as much). I noticed this during our stay, that there is a difference how you are treated if your in royal service.. It's a secluded, private section as well, so those of you who's opinions were "i don't know what other guest were complaining about" maybe you needed to LEAVE the royal service area first!

This is just an "opinion" that I, as a traveler wanted to share on Paradisus. Overall, to each their own. have a good time!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better ocean views. If you get a lower room, request the pool view, it is better...