My wife, two friends and I stayed at the RIU Playacar from 3/15 – 3/19 in a first floor Jr. Suite in building #6. It was very nice, can’t really say it looked run down, maybe more out dated? Upon check-in we asked for mattress toppers and an extra bed, which the hotel provided with a smile and in a timely fashion. When we entered the room, it was a little warm and had a faint musty smell. Called about the A/C and asked for some extra pillows and towels. We received the towels, but not the pillows, which took an another call in the AM to receive. We still had A/C issues through the night and had to open the windows in the middle of the night to cool things off. The next morning, we had an issue with a leaky toilet and got building maintenance in to fix both. The A/C relies on a switch on the door wall and deactivates if the switch is not making a connection. Once this was determined, we made sure the door wall was closed and the switch was properly engaged. From here on out, we had a trouble free stay and the only worry we had was whether to sit by the pool or at the beach.
The food at the buffets was good. Always plenty of choices that should keep everyone happy. My wife being Celiac usually has issues when eating out, but found a good variety of things to eat and was never left wanting more. We ate at the Mexican and Steak House ala carts, both were very good! We had two different experiences with the ala carts though. My wife notified the wait staff of her condition and the wait staff on the Mexican side and chef made sure to prepare her food so she would have no issues. The Steak House was a little different and to be fair, we had a good rain storm during dinner and the wait staff fell behind and were dealing with a leaky roof and wind blowing rain in. They didn’t seem to be as responsive to her, but were able to provide her with a salad without croutons, just no appetizer.
The pool always seemed to be busy, but getting drinks was never really an issue. The cups were somewhat small, but that was fine, as the beer was getting warm by the time we needed a refill. We never really had an issue finding chairs, just had to move some around to be in the sun. Everyone seemed friendly and there was always some kind of activity going on if you chose to participate.
Overall our stay was very pleasant and we would definitely stay there again. If you are looking for a true 5 star, try one of the Palaces. If you are looking for a nice place to stay with good accommodations, good food and nice people, this is it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * In the Playacar resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 8 annexed buildings * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Surrounded by 21,000 m2/25,000 sq. Yards of tropical gardens * Mexican Street, next to Riu Yucatan * 100 m/325 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline and Reservation Counter so you can book your Hotel Riu Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Playacar Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Playacar Reviews
- Playacar Hotels
- Riu Playacar Mexico
- Rui Playacar
- Hotel Riu Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico