8,678 results
All reviewssports barmain restaurantthomson repsgreat holidaygolf buggyasian restaurantentertainment teamplenty of sunbedsevery other daypool restaurantshort walk to the beachthemed nightspalm treesevening entertainmentcancun airportsister hotelswimming with dolphins
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I cannot rate this hotel highly enough, the staff were very friendly, the accommodation was excellent the only thing I think which many British people would agree is the lack of Tea Making facilities in the room., but one simply had to go to the restaurant to obtain a cup ( no real hardship) I have saved the best until last. THE FOOD was FANTASTIC nobody could could complain at the variety, quality and just wonderful choice. If you are on a diet do not go to this Hotel. I would highly recommend this for your holiday.

Room Tip: Ground floor are best
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
10  Thank Chris H
Reviewed March 3, 2012

After going to Cuba for the last 3 years, we decided to try Mexico and booked the Riu Tequila for a week. The resort was a solid 4.5 star and we would return in a heartbeat.

The lobby area is large and inviting, check-in was very quick, we traveled with another couple and were given rooms next to each other without having to ask. We were in one of the furthest buildings, it was very quiet, room was clean and comfortable, shower with loads of pressure and hot water, good maid service, nice balcony with a screen door which was great. Lots of vegetation on site was nice, we did not mind the animals as they were not aggressive and did not bother us.

Service everywhere at the resort was super, friendly and helpful, we never had to wait for a drink and did not feel like we had to tip constantly. A la carte's were ok, Oriental was very good but Steakhouse was average. Buffets, both in the main dining room and near the pool at lunch time, were great. Good opening hours, tons of variety, fresh food, tasty, not a bad thing to say about it! Drinks at the bars were also good, it was nice to see a drink menu if we wanted to try something different.

Pool was well maintained, lots of chairs available in the morning. The beach was about 5-10 minutes away but it made for a nice walk and there was always a shuttle if need be. Nice beach, tons of places to sit and shade if you wanted it. We liked having the option to use the facilities and restaurants at the other Riu's and took advantage of that when we were at the beach.

Hotel is well situated, and only a 7$ taxi ride to Playa del Carmen which we did. Didn't do any excursions so can't comment on that.

Overall, a super stay. You can tell they work hard at maintaining Riu standards of quality. Staff was nothing but friendly and hard working, and made our stay that much better.

Only complaint would be the nightly shows which did not match the quality of the resort. Better evening entertainment, singers or traditional dancers for example, no more Can-Can please!, would make this resort even more attractive.

We flew with Sunwing, had good service overall and I would use them again.

One word of advice for Canadians: they will not accept "old" 20$ or 100$ bills (without the plastic strip) when changing money at reception.

Room Tip: We were in building 19 which was further from the lobby but quiet, and close enough to the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank DancerPrancer
Reviewed March 2, 2012

We stayed at the Tequila for our wedding anniversary having booked through Thomson.

On arrival, there was a complimentary bottle of tequila waiting for us for our anniversary, which was unexpected and very welcome! The porters delivered our cases a short while later along with a basket of fruit.

The room was very clean and functional, with walk-in shower, mini bar, fridge and lots of storage space. The bed was huge too. The air-con was very good, cooling the room down almost instantly. Our balcony overlooked a wooded area and part of the pool.

The hotel as a whole was fantastic. You could eat your dinner off the floor; the staff were always cleaning!

The main restaurant was very good, with self service buffet. There was always something for everyone and a regular 'Mexican' corner. The waiting staff were always very attentive. There were three a la carte restaurants which although free had to be pre-booked. The steakhouse was fantastic with a good sized sirloin and good wine. I was a little disappointed with the Mexican restaurant, and the Oriental menu didn't take our fancy so we didn't eat there.

The hotel is about 250yds to the beach, with a gorgeous white beach and blue Carribean sea. Neither of us are particularly beach people, but we happily spent two days on this beach it was amazing.

What I liked about the Riu complex most is that by being a guest at one hotel you can use the facilities at all the others on the complex. We ate in a couple of the other restaurants, and they were all of a really good standard.

I cannot praise the Tequila enough. The staff were great, the accommodation excellent, the food amazing. It's about a 30 minute walk to the town, or a taxi is about £1. The excursions run from the hotel are really varied and we did both Xcaret and the Mayan ruins, both of which were really good.

Highly recommend this hotel or any other Riu in the area.

• Stayed: October 2011
11  Thank bassettallsort
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Having visited the Riu Tequila for a week in November 2011 and enjoyed so much we decided that it would be a must to revisit. We have just returned after a two week stay for what can only be described as brilliant! The staff once again were wonderful and the food superb. Even the most picky of eaters would find it difficult not to find something to their liking. I set myself a chanlleng of not eating the same evening meal twice and completed this with no problem at all. The weather was superb and the beach is one of the best we have ever been to. We had a room in another location from last time, which was identical. The maid/cleaning service was excellent. The hotel was alot busier than November with many Canadian and US quests but this did not detract from our stay. We did several trips. I can recommend a day at Explor and also the half day Speed Boat Safari. For the cutural side the long day to Chichen Itza must be one of the highlights of this area and is a must (alot better than the trip to Cobra). We did a visit to Cozomel Island which we booked our selves , walking into Playa del Carmen (a steady 30 minutes) and getting the ferry to Cosomel. Ferry trip takes about 45 minutes. Top tip have a look at the sea before you go, any white tops to the waves go another day unless you have strong sea legs!! The island is geared to the cruise ships with plenty of shopping opportunities for those like that sort of thing. I would not go again should I visit the area.
Most day trips seem expensive but the ones mentioned above provided excellent value for money.
I would without hesitation recommend this hotel for couples/families young and old who want a wonderful holiday, good food with plenty of places to visit.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Chris H
Reviewed March 1, 2012

After booking a week here with thomson, and reading reviews I was very excited! The hotel and grounds are lovely - they are big but spread out and low rise buildings and all amongst palm trees so doesn't feel too touristy. This was my first time all inclusive and I was pleasantly surprised. It caters for every taste and you won't get bored! Would definitely recommend a night at the steak house - perfect end to our week! The drinks in your fridge and room are all complimentary and get refilled daily. Our rep matt was a delight and very helpful. Would recommend a trip to playa del carmen - plenty shops and bars with good food! it's a short taxi ride from the hotel or a beautiful walk along the beach. You are also allowed to use the facilities of the other Riu hotels- handy when you are at the beach. I would 100% recommend a trip to Tulum- it is STUNNING! My only negative was that 7 days is too short, and if you get the chance either upgrade flights with Thomson or fly with another airline as I didn't enjoy the flight with them.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple