“A MUST go!”

Ranked #50 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A MUST go!”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Travelled to Mexico for two weeks as a couple with my boyfriend (21/03/2012-4/04/2012) and stayed in the club hotel Riu Tequila. It was fantastic! I have never seen staff work so hard at their job to enable you to have the best possible holiday you can. The food was fantastic, not just the wide variety, but the quality of the food was amazing. The entertainment staff were brilliant, and made some good friends who we plan to stay in touch with. I have read a few reviews with people moaning about silly things about the hotel, but I couldn't fault any part of it, not even the coati's that are on the complex, I thought they were very cute and simply added to the atmosphere of the place. The cleanliness of the rooms was to a very high standard, and the cleaners would even leave cute little animals made from towels which was extremely nice of them. Weather is amazing as you can imagine, and the pools are perfect (especially whilst drinking an unlimited amount of fruity darquires and other cocktails). It is a must go and is only a short drive away from most excursions (definately must recommend Sian Khan, best day of my life by far, such an experience). Definately will recommend to anyone, FANTASTIC holiday, will defo consider returning!

Room Tip: we had a room right next to the pool which was fantastic
11 Thank bethhope94

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,343)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This was our first visit to Playacar and the Riu resorts came highly recommended from friends who had travelled to Playa del Carmen before. This is not a new (as in built within the last 5 years) hotel however the rooms are cute with all the necessary ammenities in them. The beds are harder than North American beds but we both slept well. The grounds of the hotel are immaculate and although there are Cotis (small creatures that look like raccoons) and what looks like larger guniea pigs and resort cats to be found, you will not see signs of there being animals around. JUST DON'T FEED THEM and they'll leave you alone. The cotis are rather amusing to watch and are pretty funny little creatures which provided laughs for us when we were at the pool and pool bar (pool bar pours stiff drinks!). The food at Jalisco (sit on the patio in Jorge's section and tip him as after a few meals he will automatically know what you like to drink) is amazing and to be honest it was the only place that we ate for dinner. Lunches were spent at La Lupita (mediocre) and the Beach Bar at the Riu Yucatan (food is delicious here). The beach is amazing and a short walk or golf cart ride away and with amenities at the Yucatan available to Tequila residents it was a good place to hang out! The nightly shows at the stage in the Tequila were entertaining and the people who hang out here are a lot of fun! (tip the bar here to get better service). The disco was a blast as well! The market (for goods) that comes to the hotel can be over priced so negotiating is necessary. Buy jewelry in the market that's outside and to the left of the resort and go deep into the market to find the best prices! Visit Chichen Itza but beware of how pushy the market can be here and go to Xcaret and visit the local artisan market here (amazing prices that don't require negotiating). Overall the Riu Tequila is a resort we'd go back to and you're sure to have an excellent time!

Room Tip: We got the room they offered us and were quite happy (3400 block) it is a bit of a walk from the mai...
6 Thank Andrea S
Penkridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Just got back from 2 weeks in the Riu Tequilla. I emailed the hotel before we travelled and asked for a quiet room and also told them it was our Aniversary. We had been given a quiet room and they had decorated it which was nice thank you Jessica. The room was spacious and kept spotless by the maid no bath tub but the shower was very good. The minibar was nice but had to keep asking for diet drinks. free digital safe iron and board. Spacious beds and good a.c.

The resort itself was good we tended to move around the three to find quiet spots to eat and drink. The pool and bar area around the Tequilla was very busy and no body seemed to leave the pool to go to the bathroom which put us off a bit. The pool at the Yucatan was a lot better and less busy the food on the lunch was better too. The good thing was that you could'nt reserve sun beds which was good idea. The beach was brilliant not a beach lover myself but really enjoyed the ocean the breeze was great and kept you cool.

The food was good the booking of the restuarants was a bit of a pain having to get up and standing in line at 7am. I think a telephone booking service would of been easier. The steakhouse Aisan and Mexican were good and all offered a vegatarian option as well if you asked. The wine and water was good with meal but could of done with more drink choices.

The drinks were good and the bar staff soon got to know your orders. We met some great Canadians who introduced us to the drink Tom Collins thanks Jeremy. You never had to wait long for a drink even at busy times. The best bar we found was the pool bar in the evening at the Tequilla we called it Rosy's bar beacause Rosy's made the best drinks around.

Never done any trips as this was our 5th visit to Mexico and we have done them before. There is little hut just outside the hotel by Starbucks which people said was good for trips. Went a walk to 5th avenue its fun they pester you a bit but a no gracias seemed to do the trick. As other people have said do not support these people who have the tigers and monkeys on leads its so cruel.

Overall a great holiday had met some great people and had a great time. There are enough places to eat and drink and good value for money.

Room Tip: Email hotel with requirments
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank happytravellers18
Ottawa, ON
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My fiance and two friends that we met on a trip to Cuba last year spent a wonderful two weeks in February at the Tequila. Check in was fast but the bellboy situation is not what we were expecting as it was actually a young man who collected and delivered all the luggage on a hotel trolley, must say that initially our little group was unimpressed with this as we wanted to freshin up before getting a bite to eat (we ended up taking our own luggage istead of waiting around) but as the days went by we certainly grew to appreciate the lack of noice from the usual little trains which run through the resorts at all hours. The resort grounds are clean and well manicured. Room was clean and spacious, bathroom only had a shower which is fine for a week but for two weeks a bath would have been nice, we did try to upgrade but the resort was fully booked. The bed was a little hard but this isn't an issue for my fiance and I. We were a little disappointed that there was no coffee pot in the room, as we do enjoy having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning while getting ready for the day but hey its kind of nice to break out of our daily routine while on vacation, so no biggy we enjoyed a nice cup of java at the buffet. We all enjoyed the food, infact over indulged on many occassions with the exception of the Mexican restaurant, it was our least favourite. The beach is one of the nicest that I've seen in the Mayan, no sand whales here just beautiful white powder sand with prestine water that goes on forever. We all loved the proximaty of PDC. You can easily walk it or take a cab for about $7.00. During our stay we spent some time at the RIU Playacar and the Yucatan, you must visit the Yucatan in the morning to ensure you don't miss the monkeys which just hang out between the path going to the buffet from the pool area, I could have watched them for hours as they are the cutest little things ever. At the Tequila there is no lack of animals either but they are not nearly as cute, yes the famous Mexicoons, they are a protected species which are cute and seem harmless however; there are tourists that just ignor the signs that are posted everywhere to warn people against feeding the animals. I witnessed a man who I believe thought that it would't hurt to give one of them a bit of bread, well the entire pack showed up and nor he or his wife found it amuzing when the Mexicoons jumped up on them to try to get at the bag where the bread was stored, the man ended up with what I thought was a serious gash on his arm, blood was plentiful. Infact as our time advanced we noticed that alot of the Mexicoons were injured (they fought amongst each other and this was a little scary to me, open wounds yuck! The staff for the most part were great especially the cleaning staff and the bar staff at the open air bar, never have we seen such service, they definately understand the whole team work thing. Service was remarkable, non stop. Kudos to them! I wish I could say the same for management, there was one female, Sabrina was her name and although I think she is probably a hard worker she needs to listen to the people and be a little more respectful, misunderstandings happen but the objective is to resolve the issue with the list damage possible, never try to embarrass guests this is counter productive. A must if you're a raggae fan, Cozumel there is a raggae bar (we had a great time, after taking the fairy and hiring a cab for 4 hours it works out just a bit cheaper then flying to Jamaica but well worth it(at least this is what my fiance and friends were saying)) Overall we had a great time at the RIU and would have no reservations with recommending this resort to family/friends.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Springdance
Liverpool , England
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My Girlfriend and I stayed for two weeksin March 2012 travelling with Thompson. Check in was quick . We were told our bags would be brought up to the room after a few minutes but I had to call down to reception after an hour as they still hadn't arrived.

ROOMS

Rooms are nice with plenty of storage . We stayed in room 416 which is close to the pool. There is a safe which is free , and an iron and iron board. There is also a mini bar with beers, soft drinks and tonic. You also get a bottle of gin, vodka, dark rum and tequila . The mini bar and optics are filled every 2 days. If you want any diet drinks you can call down to reception for them. They were quite quick bringing them to us but they should put a selection in the mini bar. Rooms are cleaned everyday to a good standard.

POOLS AND BARS

There are two pools , they main one with a swim up bar is large in size . It does get very busy in the afternoon but we never had a problem getting a sun bed in the morning.There a several bars in the hotel which serve differnt cocktails so its worth checking out the cocktail menu in each one . They serve international brands , Smirnoff, Jim Beam , Bacardi and so one . We found you have to ask for these as they don't always give you them. The sports bar is open 24hr and serves snacks You can also use the riu yucatan which is on the beach. Its only a 5 min walk or there is a shuttle that goes back and forth everyday . We found the pool in the yucatn a lot quiter and the beach is amazing.

RESTAURANTS

This is were the hotel lets its self down. Breakfast is good with lots of selection but the service with the coffee or tea is very slow. We found we had finshed our breakfast before we were asked if we wanted tea or coffee. Lunch is very poor you can only use one restaurant which is next to the pool. The selection isn't very good and the queue for food is very long . The selection during dinner is good but the quality isn't great . They have various themed evenings . The biggest let down is the space between the tables . If you have a table for 2 you are literally sitting right next to the table next to you , in all the all inclusive hotels I have been to , I have never sat so close to people . As with lunch the queues are really long. Some times you have to wait 15 min to get food. They also run out of things and dont replace them quick enough. The waiters are really busy so you dont get many drinks during dinner. We found that the reataurants cant cope with the amount of people in the hotel .

HOTEL

The grounds are lovely there are a few wild animals but they dont bother you . The raccon type animals with the long tails dont bother you unless you feed them. The staff are friendly and work very hard.

Overall we felt the hotel was nice but when the hotel is full they struggle to cope. The food does let the hotel down.

6 Thank gribbo78
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My Fiance and I just returned from a relaxing week at Riu Tequila. Although we had a great, relaxing week, I feel there are some things that you should know before you go. I read all of the reviews on Trip Adviser before booking this resort so I had pretty high expectations because of the majority of the great reviews.

Let's start with the Good: The resort is beautiful and very clean. It's very lush and tropical and also quite quiet compared to other resorts i've been to so if you're going for a relaxing getaway this might be the right option for you. Our room was newly decorated and was a great location right in front of the pool so we had no complaints there. The resort was fairly small compared to other resorts I have been to so if you have issues with walking and just plan to stay on the resort then this one might be a good one for you. There were always beach chairs around the pool which was great (I think the majority of people head to the beach for the day, which is why chairs are quite scarce at the Yucatan). The food was decent and definitely edible so if you're not a picky eater than i'm sure you will enjoy the food. The resort is only a $7.00 cab ride into playa del carmen so if you're interested in going to town for some dinner or souvenirs than this is the place to go. The beach, although not on the resort, is absolutely beautiful, one of the best I have seen yet in Mexico. There's lots of wildlife on the resort, so if you are an animal lover, this is a great spot for you. If you are looking for a little more excitement during the day or in the evening, I would recommend going over to the Yucatan resort, it was much much bigger but had a lot of action around the pool, was ocean front, and we really enjoyed the bars in front of the theatre at night, they had a beautiful breeze from the ocean and you could watch the shows from there. If you're a younger couple or with a group of friends, I would recommend you stay at the Yucatan instead of tequila. They have a much better pool, more action and a nicer theatre/bar setup.

Now for the things that need improvement: First off the food was average at best, both myself and my fiancee are picky eaters but we stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso 2 years ago and the food was much much better there. We found they constantly stopped serving regular things that they should be serving every day which was frustrating. Every morning we would have some bacon and scrambled eggs but one morning they didn't have either in the buffet which seemed odd to me. The lunch buffet by the pool was very minimal, there wasn't much of a selection and the majority of the days there weren't even french fries. We found the food was great on the day we arrived and then as the resort got busier and busier through the week, they seemed to have less and less of a variety. Because the resort was fully booked we found the dinner buffet to be extremely busy, people bumping into you, big lines everywhere, it just made things a little bit stressful at times. To book an A La Carte, you had to be at the reservation booth at 7am and there was often a line that stretched from one side of the lobby to the other (i'm not exaggerating). They would only let you book one A La Carte per day, so you had to go back every day if you wanted to book more. We tried the Asian as well as the steak house. The asian was good but was a buffet, this surprised us because normally when you book an A La Carte, you expect to have a sit down dinner so i was quite surprised by this. The steak house was fairly good, we tried the shish kabobs and steak which were both fairly good, but again just average. We found the resort to have an older crowd and was fairly quiet which can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for. None of the rooms have a tub, which I knew before we went, but was a bit disappointing. If you go into Playa Del Carmen, please please steer clear of the men who have tiger and lion cubs that you can take photos with, 2 years ago they had baby monkeys and now they have baby lions and tigers, they may be cute but you have to wonder where they're getting them from, how they're treated and what kind of a life that is for a baby animal to be stuck outside all day long with people pointing and staring at them. Please, please don't support them.

In conclusion, we had a nice relaxing vacation and booked this resort for a decent price so we have no regrets. If you get it for a good price, then it's a great place to go, but I wouldn't book it if it's expensive because I think there are much nicer "real" 5 star resorts for your money. Please don't think i'm being negative, i'm just a person who has stayed at many all inclusive resorts all over the Caribbean so I want you to have fair expectations if you book this resort.

Enjoy your vacation wherever you end up and good luck with booking your trip!

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room close to the pool. This will have a good central location so everythi...
8 Thank Cassiethatsme
Pullman, Washington
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Stayed at Riu Tequila for 1 week with wife and another couple. Overall, we had a great trip in the Mayan Riviera. ClubHotel Riu Tequila was a nice place to stay and a good starting point for our excursions in the Yucutan. For the price, it was a good value. However, we felt that a few simple things could have made this resort better. This was our first trip to an "all-inclusive" resort, so my evaluation compared to other all-inclusives is not well developed.

The Good: The resort is an "all-inclusive" resort. Food, drinks, and many activities were included. The food was sufficient, but could have been better. There are 3 restraunts to choose from for dinner, plus a buffett. A nice inclusion is a buffett right on the beach. Since this hotel is NOT located right on the beach (more on this later), it was great that they included a lunch buffett on the beach. The property is fairly large, and it asthetically feels like you are in a jungle. There are even tons of "coatis" (racoon-looking animals) roaming the grounds. There are 2 pools, which are nice and clean. The pool area has lots of activities to partake in, both on your own and organized by the hotel (volleyball, basketball, water basketball, bocce ball). The rooms are nice, clean, and comfortable, nothing fancy. The beach area is very nice, with rows of palm trees and lots of lounge chairs to choose from. The beach is clean, a bit crowded though (I will contest, I have been spoiled over the years with some amazing beaches, so I am picky) There are tour-group representatives at the hotel for setting-up excursions. The hotel is also located a large piece of private land, and felt secure. Safety was not an issue.

The Bad: The biggest disapointment was the lack of communication to the guests. It was never explained to us on check-in about the various activities the hotel offered, or how dinners worked. We were especially frusturated when we went all the way to the beach, just to find out that we had to get our towels at the pool area and that we should have been given towel cards on check-in. Or that it was necessary to make dinner reservations for the restraunts the morning of. A little communication here would have really helped. Both the food, especially the drinks, left more to be desired. The resort is NOT located on the beach.....that said, it was not much of a hassle. It is a short, and pleasant walk, or golf cart ride (provided by the hotel) away to the beach.

Overall, we had a very nice trip.

4 Thank Coug9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
0.6 km away
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
#51 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
17.8 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
0.9 km away
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#40 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tequila? Share your experiences!