“RIU Tequila, nice place, no nightlife....”

ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Ranked #53 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 14 January 2004

My husband and I had a wonderful time at the RIU Tequila last week (January 3rd-10th). It was so disappointing to come back to cold Michigan! The grounds are beautiful. The rooms are nice and clean. The food is good, especially at the steak house. The thing that surprised us about the Tequila was the number of families with children, and elderly persons vacationing there. We are both twenty-five, and didn't find anyone our age, or in our stage of life at the resort. There is also no night life there that twenty-somethings would find entertaining without a lot of alcohol! So, if you're looking for a great place to relax with clean rooms, good food, and great service, go to the Tequila. If you're looking to party, don't go to the Tequila. If we go to Mexico again, I think we'll search for a place that has a "happy medium" of the two. But, for the meantime, we have memories of a great vacation.

4  Thank HilarydMichigan
Write a ReviewReviews (8,347)

Reviewed 12 January 2004

This hotel was awesome. The people that worked at the hotel were great.
The food was good but a little repetitive. My kids 10 & 8 liked the fact that there were hamburgers, hot dogs, fries and ice cream cones.
The beach was not a far walk or you can ride the golf cart over. Just remember the cart driver takes a break in the afternoon - check for times. The shows at night were very entertaining. If you are a family of four the 2 double beds may not be enough room so ask for a cot (portable bed). If you can go to Xcaret it was wonderful but take a taxi for $10usd one way rather than a tour bus. Then just pay the entrance fees. Also I highly recommend a snorkling tour by Emillio. It was an Aquatic Adventure when booked thru Suntrips but if you didn't book your trip thru Suntrips ask for it by the name of the tour owner named "Emillio". We were picked up at the hotel at 8:30 am then spent the day snorkling at 3 different locations. One spot was a lagoon by Akumel where we swam with sea turtles. Then we went to 2 different cenotes and got to jump off 20 foot cliffs. They provided lunch and all the alcohol you wanted. My kids loved it and had no problem doing all the activities. This was priced at $75usd adults and $38usd kids which also included the snorkle equipment. Hope this was helpful.....HAVE FUN!!!

8  Thank Coloradochick
Brantford Ont Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2004

Just wanted to let everyone know that this has being the best holiday , that we have been on and will be going back again next year for two weeks hopefully. Everything you read about in the books is true , nicer then the DR and Cuba , at least were we stayed at these places , Cant go wrong with the Rui Resorts no complaints just one word about the trip GREAT sorry to come back home. no one can complain about this time of year for weather (first week in Jan)

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 January 2004

I spent 2 weeks at the Riu Tequila in May 2003 and had a fantastic time. It's the first all inclusive holiday I have taken and was VERY impressed. The hotel is lovely,VERY VERY clean, nice lush, very well kept gardens, and the staff are very friendly, and helpful and work very hard. the food was amzing, I have never had mash potato with so much flavour in ! And what a great excuse to sample all those cocktails that would usually be quite expensive ! The bedrooms were a nice size, large bathroom area and good storage space.......and mini bar and optics....what can I say ! The only slight grumble I may have is that there are not enough beds around the pool, or what tends to happen is that people get up early, put towels on sunbeds and go off to the beach etc and come back to the beds later in the afternoon, come on people be considerate ! My suggestion would be some kind of sunbed patrol ! So a tip.......if you can't get a bed round the Tequila pools take the short walk to the sister hotel across the street, to the left of the Riu Palace (can't remember the name) as you can eat lunch here as well. The entertianment team were very good and always seems to be working, day and night. Franklyn in the Michael Jackosn show was brilliant. I did the tour of the Hotel kitchen, very interesting and very well kept and run, and very clean, impressive for the amount of meals there prepare each day. Also did the tour (free) to the Riu Palace across the street, which is supposed to be a higher grade hotel to the Tequila, but thought the Tequila much nicer. A great holiday at a great price (UK readers try Thomson Tropical brochure, I checked all brouchues for Mexico and they were the best price !) Would not hesitate to recomend.......if anyone has any questions, am happy to help.

6  Thank 67Hippo
Ortonville, Michigan
Reviewed 6 January 2004

When I went to stay at the Riu Tuila it s beautiful and I want to go back. The guys and girls on the animacion team are wonderful and I became great friends with them all. If you can tell James that I say hello my name is Amanda Quintero from Michigan. I want to go back again this year bcause I had such a great time. The food was great and the barswere awesome. I hope me and my family go again this year and next. Keep up the good work and hopefully I will see you all next year.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 January 2004

Nine of us just returned (January 2, 2004) from a week at the Tequila.
Many thanks to those of you who recommended tips like asking for extra blankets to pad the beds and insulated cups to take to the beach. We loved the resort, found the food to be okay to good..not great. We ate at the steak house and the Med and enjoyed both. We took the Alltournative trip to Pac-Chen and Coba. It was fun but not nearly the challenging adventure we expected. Anyone in any physical shape would be able to do all of the activities...zip lining, repelling into the cenote (absolutely the highlite..incredible), walking through the jungle, and canoeing around a small lake. The Mayan meal was good, the trip to Coba interesting. Skip the canned lecture and take off on your own at Coba or you will not have enough time to enjoy the walk to the largest pyramid, let alone climb it and still get back to your tour bus on time. The disco at the resort was fun, also PDC was worth going to see, had drinks at Senor Frogs and the Blue Parrott. Walk to your right upon hitting the beach at the Yucatan, away from the hotels, and you will find some beautiful stretches of beach, rocks, and little coves, some small trails through the "jungle". Have a great time:)

2  Thank caseyhope
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2003

My husband and I honeymooned at the RIU Tequila from September 28th - October 12th, 2003. We had an unforgettable experience. Upon arrival, you feel as though you have entered a royal palace; it is beautifully decorated and very clean throughout. The front desk service is prompt and courteous, the housekeeping staff are ever-present and numerous (you can always spot someone either mopping, dusting, or grounds-keeping).

The room was very well kept and we did not experience a musty odour as described in previous reviews. The beds however weren't the top of the line in terms of comfort, they were hard and the pillows were flat.
Excellent water pressure for the shower - no "low-flow" here! The mini bar was restacked almost daily, and we never had any insect sightings in our room.

In terms of security, we felt very safe walking on the grounds of the Tequila. Your ID bracelet is required when only driving up to the reception off the street!

**FOOD** Being Greek, this aspect was very important to me. :0)

The food was abundant, fresh, displaying a lot of variety and available at nearly every waking hour of the day. You can literally find something to eat from the crack of dawn (6 am) to past midnight. We loved the Jalisco restaurant (the main buffet) the snack bars were ok but became redundant after 2 weeks (more of a selection or rotation would have been better). And the specialty steakhouse (which doubles as the poolside snack bar by day) was fantastic. Reservations were sometimes difficult however, so plan ahead and book early in the am. We also had a chance to dine at the "El Mediterraneo" restaurant over at the RIU Yucatan. It was delightful. Room service would have been a nice bonus.

The alcohol flows freely at the RIU Tequila. The drinks are consistant and never watered down. The bartenders are friendly and entertaining.

The beach was magnificent, and the resort's proximity to Playa del Carmen is ideal (a $5 USD cab ride to town!). There were always lounge chairs available and on Fridays there was a party on the beach with live entertainment and dance contests.

What else can we say about the Tequila? We will definitely return on our anniversary visits and strongly recommend this resort to all families, couples and groups of friends. It was truly an unforgettable experience.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member