We stayed here from Feb 11th til Feb 17th 2012. Without re-writing too much of the previous reviews maybe we can at least validate some or debunk others.
Safety- Extremely safe, like a gated community inside another gated community.
Hotel Staff- They are the most friendly and approachable we have met.
This is our 13th time to Mexico, so that is saying something.
Food- We are not much for "scheduling our dinner" so we bypassed the specialty restaurants. However we did take full advantage of the nightly dinner buffet and just to give you a quick idea, on one plate I had Roasted duck, pork loin hand carved or course, 6 different types of sushi and I think there were at least 10. Ahi tuna, peel and eat shrimp about the size of roll of nickles. This was all on an average night. The food during the day was hit and miss. You could eat at the Tequila or the Yucatan for breakfast or lunch, but not dinner, however we had friends at the Tequila and got permission to have dinner with them there. It was good, but not nearly as good as the Palace.
Rooms- We had room 2127 and thought it was pretty nice
Beach- There is a lot of it. It is very nice and yes you do have to get up and stake your claim if you have a particular spot in mind, but you will find a spot if not.
Drinks- It is what it is. Never the same from one day to another or one bar to another bar, ya just gotta put in a bit of trial and error to find your favorite.
Grounds- Beautiful, will be interesting to see how it is remodeled. The Yucatan and Tequila are older and in much more need of the remodel.
Would we go back? That one is tough. Would have to see how the remodel goes,and the packages that are offered.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, RIU Hotels and Resorts and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Riu Mexico
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen