The bus from Cancun airport to the resort was a very long ride. Had read that it was 45 min but there were 5 or 6 other resorts to stop at first so we were on the bus for well over 2 hours. Same for the return.
The resort was very nice but driving in to there on the bus was very sad to see how some of the people lived. Upon check in we didn’t get room as requested but were told we could up grade for about $700 more (that was with the $400 coupon) - NOT. So on that note we took a ground floor room with swim up patio which was nice but ended up right in front of the kids section so unless you brought kids with you it was a little annoying sometimes with all the noise. Yes, some of us out here would like to vacation without listening to other people's children screaming day and night. However, it was nice that only adults were allowed in some restaurants.
The room itself was very nice, big bathroom with walk in shower, private toilet & also a big tub.
The restaurants... Great!! It was so nice to have so many choices and be able to revisit the same one over again just as long as you made your reservations in advance - but ADVANCE is the key. We missed out on the cooking show one because we didn't reserve in time. There was always a big buffet available for breakfast, lunch & dinner if you wanted as well. Have to say there was a great selection of drinks available as well. The service was always great.
They didn’t really make their guests aware of entertainment that was going on so if you happen to come across something – good for you. The info just wasn’t there or at least we didn't know about it. We didn't find that there was much to do. On the day we were leaving, we were taking a last walk around and came across a different section we hadn’t seen that had this big beautiful heated pool we didn’t know about. The other pools were really quite cold, especially the one from our room. So we missed that one.
We were advised to only take a taxi into Playa del Carmen to 5th Ave for shopping to be safe which we did. That was fine, enjoyed that. It cost about $8-$10 each way for the taxi to 5th Ave.
The beach was a little disappointing. It was nice but quite narrow and you really had to watch where you walked all the time.. Some areas of the water were really dirty & not very inviting but we found one spot that you could wade out & wasn’t bad to walk on. Since the place is so new I assume that is why there isn't much for flowers around. The layout and design is very new and elegant and the furniture is really nice. They had nice furniture on the beach if you walked down far enough but... It sure was a very long walk back if you needed to go to the washroom. There were no washrooms any where near the beach. Had to go all the way back into the hotel for washrooms.
So, over all I think the resort was very nice but still has room for improvement on a few things. It was a good choice and really enjoyed seeing a place that was so fresh and new. The staff was very friendly as well as the servers and bartenders. I would definitely recommend this place to others. They certainly did not have a full house though.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on the beach and surrounded by mangrove trees, Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda is an all-inclusive four Diamond resort with its promise of all-inclusive fun and LUXExclusive experience designed with the entire family. All suites feature a private balcony or terrace and include air conditioning with climate control, free Wi-Fi, 24-hour room Service, cable TV service, Minibar, in-room safe, complimentary toiletries, bathrobes, living area with sofa and a coffee maker. Services for relaxation and pampering include a YHI Spa, a hair salon ($), Wedding services, tours/ticket assistance and a business center. World-class facilities including Family Concierge ($), Fitness, YHI Kids, Kids Zone, Kids Club, Baby Club, Game Room, Life enriching experience, Kids Pool. The resort offers 14 restaurants to choose from which are open daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Paradisus By Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda Riviera Maya, Mexico