“best advice: DO NOT IGNORE THE NEGATIVE RATINGS...I DID!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Ranked #29 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Fullerton, California
“best advice: DO NOT IGNORE THE NEGATIVE RATINGS...I DID!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

The 4 block drive to hotel from the main road: Have you ever been to TJ's worst neighborhoods, where poverty and vandalism is the representation to the tourist? Welcome back!!!! I had read a review in another travel web-site from a man from Venezuela and he described it to the T. Because the hotel is new, I said, "It can't be that bad"...it was. Do your homework the area is called "Colonia Colosio". No where near the tourist area.

My slogan for this city is: "Lo sentimos (we're sorry), mil disculpas, (1000 sorrows), no se puede (not posible)”

For starters the only rooms with beach front view, are the time-share units, the rest 90% have side view of the ocean’s horizon if you’re lucky.

The pool: Wait...there’s a pool?

Worst beach ever, nowhere to swim because it’s all rocks and there’s JELLY FISH!!!!!

Resort surrounded by jungle. Mosquitoes, mosquitoes, mosquitoes, mosquitoes. Did I mention the mosquitoes? And they love outsiders blood especially children’s.

Check-in: We arrived around 8:00PM, two desk attendants (not rush hr) we waited 20 min for 2 guests to be checked in. Very politely, “David” would not honor the free upgrade that came with my package from Orbitz.

The service was very unpredictable and inconsistent; we either got red carpet or “I don’t even see you” service. Policies varied from employee to employee. I asked a concierge agent for the GM’s name and she did not know it.

I noticed that in the “only adult” side of the resort, the employees seemed more prepared to serve and physically did not look native.

The following day we had breakfast at Naos restaurant. I asked for coffee, it came with no cream. I asked 3 different people for the cream and never came. Finally our waiter came, the coffee was cold enough for me to dip my fingers in it; I was P@@@@@ and another waiter near us commented to another waiter “the broad is pissed because of the coffee” in Spanish, and laughed.

I am so sorry I picked this hotel!

Room Tip: None in this hotel since the only units with beach front are time-share units. Units are so cramped...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Laura A
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to share your point of view about your stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

We are really sorry that our property location, the service and the staff did not satisfy your expectations. If you consider us again as an option for your upcoming vacations, we assure you, we will try to satisfy all your needs.

We think it is important to let our tourists know, that Paradisus is committed with society and the natural environment. That is why we are proud of our unique location in front the turquoise Caribbean ocean. This area includes a beautiful protected mangrove, It´s importance relies on the way it helps to decrease hurricane impact, protecting guests, the ecosystem and our facilities. We hope you understand our posture about it.

About your pool concerns, allow me to inform you that at Paradisus La Esmeralda, we have 6 swimming pools, including the kid’s pool and the one exclusive for Family Concierge guests. It is a shame we did not surpass your expectations about our pools either.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope you visit us again in the near future.

alan.becerril@melia.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,283)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Perkasie
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Pros:
Best service and food of any all-inclusive we have stayed at in the Caribbean (so far). The drinks were top shelf (but you need to ask and make sure you are getting the top shelf stuff). The service was excellent and the staff were very attentive to our every need. The atmosphere was calm and relaxing.
Cons:
The beach is poor, very rocky and depending on the day, a lot of smelly sea weed. There was a lot of people traffic (since the beaches are all public) and there was only public beaches (no other resorts) on either side of the Paradisus resort. Our kids like to swim but the pools at this resort were small and were quite boring (teens). We did not heed the warnings about paying for an ocean view, its really not worth it but at least our room overlooked the property (with a little ocean in the distance). The rooms (for a luxury junior suite) were small in comparison to other resorts we have stayed with a similar room description. The bathroom was especially small and became crowded when everyone was trying to get ready in the morning and evening. Lastly, the rooms were not very sound proof and often we would hear other vacationers returning to their rooms late at night.
Overall we rate the resort as average. Asked if I would go back, probably not, mainly because of the beach and pool.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Rich B
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear guest,

First of all thank you for your visit at Paradisus La Esmeralda and for taking the time to post your comments in Trip Advisor.

We regret we did not surpass your expectations regarding our beach and your room size. You honored us with your visit during Spring break. As you may know most of the people take advantage of this period to enjoy our beautiful Caribbean ocean.

In the other hand, we are pleased to know the service and our all inclusive plan were beyond your expectations. We strongly believe our personnel are our biggest strength to provide the service all our guests deserve.

Thank you again for sharing your point of view and we hope you give us the opportunity to host you again at Paradisus Playa del Carmen.

greenville,sc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We chose this property because it is new and much less expensive than it's competitors. The pros-the resort is new and beautiful and overall the food is wonderful. Passion Restaurant was absolutely phenomal. The cons-we stayed in the family concierge section and were extremely disappointed to find the king room offer one king bed and one foldout sofa. Our other child had to sleep with us. The refrigerator was never stocked, we couldn't get dinner es we requested even before our arrival and it was disgruntling to walk by the restaurants we tired to get into and they were empty. Obviously staffing problems...our children left the kids club and no one called us, the beach is worse than terrible...the servers at the family concierge pool are so rude, unless it was the steal of all steals we wouldn't go back. Grand Velas or Las Ventas would be our choices.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank boohooGreenville_sc
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

We are sorry we could not transcend your expectations about your room. It is completely understandable that sharing your bed with your youngest child was not what you were hoping for. When this kind of situations occurs, we have roll away beds available at our guest’s disposal.

We have informed the manager in charge about the minibar restocking. The minibar is part of our all inclusive plan and it must be filled in ones a day.

On the other hand, we are pleased you decided to try our Passion Restaurant by Martin Berazategui, who´s inspired work has made him awarded of 7 Michelin stars.

Your comments about your stay help us identifying our opportunity areas, thank you for sharing them with us and we hope we can honor us with your presence again.

Buenos Aires
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We would like to remark the excellent quality of the restaurants of the hotel, which include all kind of international food for all kind of tastes. We as a family specially liked the "Naos" buffet, which offered a menu with a big diversity of meals whose quality is supervised by chef Oscar Toribio. We appreciate his kindness and devotion in attending the customers needs, as they also do all of the hotel's staff.

flia, Cenere.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

This is the best hotel I have ever been at!! I truly enojyed my vacation with my family and will never be able to thank you enough. We had the best time of our lives.
The girls at the family concierge service where incredible and made our stay very special. One night they filled our bathtub with bubbles and ballons and left some candies for the kids!!! So special!
The staff at the kids club where also very kind and friendly! My kids were really sad to leave speacially because of the good friends they were leaving behind.
Each and everyone of the people taking care of us at La Esmeralda treated us with a huge smile and that is priceless.
All the areas are very clean and since they are brand new they are very pretty, but I most confess that the rooms are even better!! You feel like they have never been used! The cleaning staff does a great job and every day after a long day at the pool it is awesome to go back to a very clean and comfortable room. The bed is so comfortable that I thought of the possibility of asking where to buy one!!!!
If there is something I must complain is the fact that there is no chance to use the bali beds!! There are families that would just leave their stuff a day before (or during their whole stay!!!) and that is truly not fair. We tried to get a bali bed EVERYDAY of our stay and was just impossible. There is nobody making sure everybody has a chance. One day after a late dinner we realized why even waking up at 6 am (which is already not fair enough on vacations) is not enough... people would leave books, towels, etc a night before!!!!!
I recommend this hotel 100%!!!!!

Dear guest,

It is a pleasure for us to receive reviews from our tourists. We are proud that you have had a memorable stay at Paradisus. Thank you for your time.

We are glad to receive your recognition to our staff. We have sent your comments to the kids club and Family Concierge staff. This kind of feedback helps us to maintain the quality service we strive every day.

Thank you very much for your comments regarding the use of the bali beds at the pool area, the Pool Concierge was informed about it, in order to take corrective actions to avoid this kind of behavior from other guests. All our visitors deserve to use all our facilities in equal basis.

Thank you for your contribution and letting us know your experience during your stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

Edina, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We recently returned from Paradisus La Esmeralda after a seven-night stay. The hotel itself is beautiful and brand new but we had many issues that did not make it a pleasant stay. Upon arrival, checking in was a slow and tedious process and then we had to spend another hour at the concierge desk making dinner reservations for the upcoming week. There was very limited availability and times for dining even though we checked in at 2pm. Upon arriving at our room, we found it very dirty. All of the drawers had dirt in them, the floor was dirty, the decorative pillow on the bed had a big stain on it, our mini-bar had not been serviced and had left-overs in it from the previous guests, the shower floor was dirty and there were marks all over the walls. We called for someone to re-clean the room. We spent most of our time at the pool and we normally did not see a waiter/waitress until after twelve noon. We tipped but the service was always very sketchy. One time we tried to order lunch and drinks and the waiter told us he had to go on break and that he would be back in 1/2 hour and we never saw him again for 2 hours. Our room had a coffee maker but I had to call for coffee or cups or both almost every day. On our last day, it took two hours for coffee to be delivered. The mini-bar was not re-stocked unless I called. On the third day of our stay, I was going to put on one of my skirts to go out to the pool and could not find it. I started looking through all of my clothes and noticed other items missing. We turned the room upside down and called home but the items were gone. I remembered un-packing them when we arrived. I am very meticulous about putting my clothes away on a trip of this length. All of the items that were missing were brand-new and expensive brands...Lululemon, Nike, etc. We called security and Victor came to our room. He could barely speak english but we filled out a list of the items that were missing and the costs. He said he would come back the next morning at 9am after questioning those who had been in our room. He never showed the next morning so we went to the concierge desk. They said they would get back to us but never did. The following day we went back to the concierge desk and met with Andres Lopes who was the head of security. He asked us if we would mind going down to the police department in Playa to fill out a police report. He said it would take about 3 hours. We said absolutely not! We told him we wanted compensation which totaled under $200.00 and he said he would get back to us. Because I only brought limited clothing to work out in, I was forced to try and wash out the one pair of pants that I had left in order to go to the gym. The next day he had Wendy Romero from the concierge desk call us. She offered us a two-for-one at the spa or dinner in Passion, which was one of their restaurants which was not included in the all-inclusive. I said no. I did not want to go to the spa and pay for one person and we were perfectly happy eating in the restaurants that were included. Wendy said she had to make one more call and she would get back to me and she never did. On our last morning I still had not heard from anyone so I called for Wendy. I said we were checking out at 11am and to please have her call. No call. She met us at check-out (which took 45 minutes because the computers were down) and said they could do nothing. For under $200, I thought this was unfair and very poor customer service.
On a few positive notes, the swim-up rooms are very nice (which we had) and well worth it. The hotel was decorated very beautifully and we could tell that a lot of money was put into it. We did not find the food in any of the restaurants to be great. Vento, which was a Mediterranean restaurant, was very good.
We would not go back to this resort mainly because of the way they handled the theft. It gave me such a creepy feeling that they had been looking through my clothes. One of the missing items was in a drawer and the others were folded neatly on a shelve. We mentioned to the concierge, Wendy, that we were going to post reviews about this and that my husband is in the travel industry and he would not recommend the property to groups or individuals but it did not matter.

Room Tip: Swim-up suites are worth it.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Nikki L
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to express our appreciation for sharing your comments about your recent vacation at Paradisus Playa del Carmen, La Esmeralda.

Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you had during your check-in process, cleanness in your room and minibar re-stocking. Be sure that your notes have been sent to the managers of each involved area in order to improve and assure it will not happen again to our appreciated guests.

Regarding your sport cloths missing from your room, our security and guest service departments sent us the complete report from the investigation they made. Unfortunately they were not able to clear up this issue. We know this kind of difficulties may tarnish your whole vacation experience. That is why, as an act of good faith, we offered you some options according our possibilities.
We are truly sorry those alternatives were not what you were expecting from us, we really tried to make it up to you as better as we could.

Even though you had some difficulties during your stay, we are glad you were delighted by the comfort in your swim-up room and your gastronomic experience at our Mediterranean restaurant Vento.

Once again thank you very much for your comments and we hope you could give us another opportunity to host you at our resort and you could really experience our facilities and service that all our customers deserve.

Best regards

Tourcoing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed 2 weeks in La Esmeralda ! the best holidays ! the staff, the hotel everything is great ! except the beach... too small and not easy to go in the sea...too many rocs... anyway, I spent my holidays at La Perla beach and swimming pool as I am doing Topless and this not alowed in Esmeralda (amazing...). even at La Perla, you cannot go topless (don't understand...).
anyway, the time spent there was beautiful. I met great people (guests) and great people working there (Marcelo my favorite dancer, Ricardo the bell Boy, Marisol at the pool bar La Perla, Gerardo the DJ/photographer, Nico and Fede at the Photo shop, Aaron the pool manager, Lupina at the Red Lounge... and so many other people). the rooms are amazing and the fullplace is georgous ! the decorations and restaurants are TOP !
there is 1 pool party every Friday, I think they could go for more in 1 week ! but it was perfect ! the DJ is top level.
Hope to go back next year to have eben better time there !!!
go there, close your eyes and enjoy.
if you travel single, go to La Perla side : more fun... pool party and so on !
do not change anything ! you are perfect !

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Frederique H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
1.5 km away
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,666 reviews
33.7 km away
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

Been to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!