7,869 results
All reviews blue moon el charro pool bar dolce vita entertainment staff japanese restaurant privilege area privilege beach foam party privilege guests quiet pool beach area privilege package coco bongo activity pool our favourite main bar
Reviewed July 10, 2011

On Arrival we were met with a very efficient check in and complimentry glass of bubbly which was most welcome after the very long journey. We were not told about Premium at check in and we were glad that there was no pressure on us to upgrade. Whilst there we did not feel that we'd missed anything special by not upgrading. We were assigned room 3301 which had a partial sea view and was conveiently close to the beach and pool area. This room was quite some distance from the reception but the bell boy took care of our cases and they arrived at the room in minutes.

Room - The Room had a modern feel to it with flat screen TV, mini bar, coffee machine / kettle, air con, toiletries, sofa, armchair and table and a relatively high standard fittings. Not knowing what to expect I was please with the shower and the water pressure. The linen was replaced when asked as well as the ground coffee and drinks for the minibar. We did have one day where the water was not replenished but a quick call to reception resolved the issue very quickly. We found the bed to be firm and comfortable and huge in size. However, there was no bath or free wi fi in the room but that didn't bother us.

Food - Overall I would mark the food 3.5 out of 5. The Japanese restaurant was very very good and we found no troubles arriving on the evening and getting a table. The food and service in the Japanese restaurant was to a very high standard. The Italian Restaurant I found to be a bit bland and lacking in the italian herby flavours that you would normally expect to find. I wondered if it had lost it's sparkle after the fire? The Mexican Restaurant was lovely and the waiters were very attentive and free flowing with the banana margaritas which you must try. The food was of a good standard and you must have the Mayan coffee which is made at your table. Lastly the Hacienda buffet. We usually found something eat (my girlfriend is a vegetarian) but I found that the labelling of the food could be better. There were lots of meat in sauce dishes but they would just usually be labelled Beef or Pork rather than Pork in a tomato sauce etc. a small problem they could eailsy overcome. There was always a chef at the grill station and towards the end of the week I started to get a bit creative by chosing some mixed veg from the buffet which he cooked for me so I had a char grilled / stir fry veg with my main. I also at breakfast used this strategy to have my tomatoes cooked with my toast! A problem with breakfast was that the milk for your serials was usually warm or empty and when you eventually got the milk topped up it was warm so not very nice for your cerials (probably a British thing!) However these negatives were only very small issues and overall we found the food to be good.

Pool / Beach - I think most of you will know about the sea weed problems and we knew before we booked. The beach area was compact but there was always a sun lounger that you could find and there were also some hammocks that rarely got used but were very comfortable. When in the complex we mostly spent our time at the pool. They have a quiet and an active pool and we found the quiet pool very relaxing. People did 'reserve' their sun loungers very early in the morning so watch out. Depending on the waiter, you usually got drinks brought to you and topped up approx every hour. You MUST have the mojito it is just heaven! I will just say that the sun loungers have seen better days and they were really below standard e.g the support wasn't in the elastic and the plastic slats that lock the reclining position into place were missing on some too. The quiet pool should have been exclusively relaxed but we found the entertainment staff playing water volly ball extremely disruptive as many people were getting stressed worrying if the ball was going to hit them or they kept having to go and fetch the ball every 5 mins. Management - Please keep this type of activity to the other pool.

Night times - We stayed for 11 nights and found it to be a bit limiting. The Movie night and Mexican night was ok. The bar staff were exceptional and the waitresses were always fantastic right through the night with smiles on their faces. The drinks were always spot on and we had a chance to try many many cocktails with it being all inclusive.

Mike's Coffee shop - Great coffee, you must swing by and see Victor who serves fantastic coffee.

There is a bus to Playa de Carmen (free) that leaves at midday and returns at 5pm. The beach there is lovely and there are a few lively bars and shops. You need to book this the day before.

We did the Thomson Chichen Itza tour and were treated like VIP's all the way. The Cenote swim before we got to Chichen Itza was suprisingly refreshing and welcome. We also did Tulum - Xel-Ha which was good especially for photos at Tulum and the beach there.
Xel-Ha was a little over hyped in my opinion and many of the attractions there that you might want to do were at an extra charge. Having said that the Lazy River and snorkelling were ok. The food and drink at Xel-Ha was of a suprisingly good standard.

Overall to conclude, we had a wonderful holiday in Mexico and felt very welcome the moment we arrived at the airport. The people seemed happy that you were visiting their country and they were proud of what it had to offer. The Ocean Maya extended that feeling all throughout our holiday and all the staff we had dealings with had the attitude that nothing was too much trouble and they always had genuine smiles on their faces.

I would be happy to recommend this hotel to my friends.

7  Thank Ian g
Reviewed July 9, 2011

The best family vacation we have had so far. We played a lot of beach volleyball as a family and many others activities with Polo, Ricardo, Fernanda, Omar and the rest of the best Entertainment team we have encountered in Riveria Maya. Thank you also to Eber, Javier and Ivonne for great service and ALWAYS with a smile.

We met some great people from all over the world. England, Spain, Ecuador, and nearby Chicago and Wisconsin. Great world experience for our kids and for us as well.

Finally a special shout out to Polo,Eber, Fernanda and Ricardo. You all will be in my heart forever. I wanted to take you all home with us.

Thank you to all mentioned above and to all the great friends we made for some wonderful memories.

Lisa Syfert
Bettendorf,Iowa

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank LSyfert
OcMaya, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on tripadvisor. We are very pleased to know that our staff of bars and entertainment made you an your family have such a great time in Mexico. I will be leting them know how important they have been for you!.

We hope to see you and your family back here very soon!

Reviewed July 9, 2011

Me and my girlfriend (23 and 22) went on the 18th June 2011 for 11 nights. When we arrived they were giving out glasses of champagne to enjoy while we checked in, which didn't take long and the staff where very friendly. Are room wasn't ready for another half hour so we went to the bar and enjoyed the all inclusive, the bar and lobby are beautiful, and there is comfortable seating in a very spacious area. You can get almost every cocktail imaginable even if it isn't on the menu (recommend the 'Miami vice') big selection of spirits but if you want the well known brands such as southern comfort, jack daniels and dissarano you have be one of the 'Privileged' guest's. Luckily am a big corona lover cause this was really the only beer you could get on tap, god knows what you do if you only like cider cause I don't think you can get it...
We ended up staying around the bar making friends with other couples and sampling the different cocktails for a good 2 hours before we headed off to the room.

To get to the rooms you walk out into an open seating area with a big water feature, this is where 3 of the restaurants are (Italian, Japanese and the main buffet restaurant) past this you head down steps that surround a very romantic waterfall area (lots of pictures of this on the website). The grounds are beautiful and on our short stroll to the room we noticed plenty off wildlife, iguana's are easy to come by and if your lucky you can get a visit from the white nosed raccoon.

The room was more then I expected, we had 2 double beds, mini fridge that was filled with water, beer, coke, fanta, sprite (this got refilled each day), aircon was awsome, dont know what i would have done without it.

The hotel has 2 pools, only really spent time in the one with that bar and was lovely to just cool down and have a beer when you got too hot from sun bathing, we never had a problem getting a deck chair, even one with a parasol (but we would put our towels down on the way to breakfast about half 8), the only thing I can fault was the beech, its not the beech you would go to spend the day snorkelling and swimming because as alot of people say their is alot of seaweed, but if you walk to the left past the volleyball court and keep going down the beech for about 15 mins you end up at a stunning lagoon with clear water full of fish and golden sand (it does have beds, deckchairs and stuff but this is for the local hotel guests) don't forget to take some bottles of water with you know because its a bit out of the way if you get thirsty and in mexico you are always thirsty lol.

I found it really hard to understand how some people could not enjoy the food? Their was so much choice which changed daily, some people must eat in some pretty fancy places if they thought the hotels food was not up to scratch. Our favourite restaurant was the Italian, even when we struggled to finish the dessert after the previous 3 courses left us bursting haha.

If anybody is going this time of season you might be worried what the weather will be like seen as the forecasts on iPhone's and the like say thunderstorms everyday. No need to worry, there might be a 5 minute downpour in the middle of scorching day. Some days will be cloudy and a bit miserable but your looking at maybe 2 out 7 days. When the weather is bad the lobby tends to be really busy because everybody is just chilling at the bar and taking advantage of the free internet, the animation team provide games to keep people entertained, got roped into a hardcore game of 'Jenga' which involved tequila shots, cheers Ricardo!

Playa del Carmen is well worth a visit, its got so much to other, you can get a free shuttle bus at 12:00 and pick up at 5:00 but make sure you book the day before as its first come first serve and it only takes about 25 people. 5th avenue is the tourist hotspot with loads of shops, bars and restaurants, be prepared to get harassed by the local's showing you their stalls. When you get to the beech you will be amazed, the nicest beech i have ever been on, so clean and spacious.

In my opinion I don't think it is worth going privileged, $50 a cople a day is no way worth some beds on a beach and local spirits, the standard services are more then good enough.

All the staff and TBH all Mexicans just seem to be happy all the time, very friendly people.
Overall we had a fantastic holiday, and the hotel went beyond all expectations. Would defiantly go again and I think it would be hard for any couple to not enjoy themselves at this hotel.

I will be posting some pictures soon when I get round to getting them off the camera, but feel free to ask any questions.

17  Thank Lionheart952

Dear guest,

Thank very much for posting such a complete review about the Hotel on tripadvisor. We really apreciate you taking the time to write so many details about the property. I am sure that so many future guests will find your review very helpfull. I am also very happy to read that you both had a wonderful time at the Hotel and we hope to see you very soon!

Reviewed July 9, 2011

Hate to say this but we feel that we have been let down by First Choice holidays with this resort. The hotel itself is very basic unless you are a 'Privilege' customer. If you were then you had your own part of the beach with cushioned sun loungers & the big double loungers that were shown in the First Choice brouchure. You would also be entitled to air conditioning in your own part of the restaurants & you also could book a reservation, otherwise you would have to wait up to 40 mins. You also had better accommation with a bath/shower. We enquired about the cost of upgrading to this but it was $55 per person per night. When you look at the brochure you are lead to believe to have all this.
We would also recommend that you ask for an umbrella when you check in as you are going to need it with the tropical thunder storms. The food in the restaurants is ok, especially the Japanese but the main buffet is a bit basic.. We only stayed for 11 nights & we glad to get home!!!

Room tip: Pay to upgrade to Privilege
5  Thank colette1992

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting a review pn tripadvisor. I am really sorry if you felt so disaponted about the resort. Just I would like to make some clarifications. Non of our rooms have baths, even Privilege rooms have only showers. The bath was a mistake on the cataloge and it has been removed and the guests were informed by the travel agency.

Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed at the Ocean Maya for 6 days and we've met so many interesting people and made more lifetime friends than we can count. Special thanks to the bartenders Aber and Javier, and the entertainment staff Omar, Polo, Jass, Fernanda, and Ricardo. We love you guys!

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank SyfertFamily

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for posting a review. Thank you also for writing those nice complements about our staff. I will be making sure that they do get the mesage.

I hope to see you very sonn back here!