“Fishermen's is awesome.”

Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort
Ranked #74 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 23 September 2017

Fishermen/s is the perfect location with an awesome beach and fantastic accommodations., being close to town very convenient. Service is excellent with everyday towel service. The meal plan could be better, but there are excellent restaurants walking distance to town.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,122)

Reviewed 23 September 2017

I was resistant to an all inclusive stay but my group loved it. The staff was helpful, responsive, and very concerned we had the best vacation ever. I really felt like I was leaving family. We did not want to leave!! We will go again

Reviewed 19 September 2017

The staff at this resort makes you feel like you are their only guest. Anselmo in the towel section was fantastic.
Rigoberto, Marlene, Adan, Pedro y Laura made each meal at their great restaurant more enjoyable. They always made sure our four children were quickly attended to which made my wife and my meal more enjoyable.
Absalon, the life guard, was knowledgeable and king when my daughter got a sunburn.
Karen in reception helped us with all sorts of reservations and activities outside the hotel.
Victor and Julian in A & B made arrival and departure seemless.
All in all, one of the best hotels we have ever styed at

Room Tip: Top floor suite facing the ocean
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2017

My friend and I stayed the first week of September. Marcial and Enselmo were waiting to greet us with their wonderful warm smiles! It's one of my favorite parts of the trip. They treat us like family and are so welcoming. The entire trip was wonderful! Miguel is always helpful getting us the perfect rooms. He never disappoints.
Hotel Service: Great - My toilet was not working the greatest the first day and they were there to fix it within less than ten minutes. In the middle of the week, my refrigerator was leaking and they were there within five minutes.
Service: Lobby bar, the main restaurant and the pool restaurant service was always great! Fast, accurate and friendly. Great service for breakfast from Pedro and Adan, along with the wonderful omelette maker, Josue. Perfect omelettes every time. We had great bartenders in the lobby bar - Carlo during the day and Erick in the evening! Our usual waiter during the day down by the beach was Julian and he gave us amazing service and was always in a good mood. Restaurant Manager, Adrian, was so accommodating. Helped us schedule an amazing lobster and steak dinner. Great service from Saul that night! I can't forget the woman who always greeted us in the main restaurant and I hope I have her name correct when I say Marlene - she was so friendly and always had a smile for us. Food really good! No complaints. We ate there for all of our meals all week. Wonderful dinner on an Asian night and had Jorge as our waiter - again, wonderful service and so kind and helpful! These people are all so good at their jobs. They make us feel like they really want to be there! Please tip them well - we want them to stay! They deserve the best because they give you their best all day long!
Pool was fun - we loved Victor! We were whining about doing aerobics in the pool and he moved it all out to the ocean for us! Thank you, Victor! bsalon, the lifeguard deserves a thank you too - he works hard every day and also takes people out sailing after 5. We met a new friend there that was having an eye problem and he sat with her for a long time trying to put drops in it and fixing her problem. She was fine by the next day.
We loved Aurora - the woman that spends hours out by the pool painting bowls and letting you paint one. She is the best! We wanted to wrap our items in bubble wrap to get them home and Marcial and Pedro helped us get bubble wrap - and when I say they "helped us," I mean that Pedro actually went to Home Depot and got it for us on his time off. I can't tell you how wonderful this staff is.
Rooms – Love the rooms! Great views - so close to the ocean. We were able to sit on the balcony at night and listen to the waves and look at the full moon over Cozumel. Beautiful. It's a very close walk into town to Fifth Avenue and we did that a lot. It's the perfect location. We can't wait to go back. I hope we find that all of our friends are there when we return.

Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

We have been coming to this resort for 17 years, sometimes 3 times per year. Yes the rooms could use remodelling but they are clean and million dollar views. Staff are awesome!!! Cannot not do enough for you. Please tip generously. Terri the new manager, Miguel member services and Maricel our lovely greeter bend over backwards. This is not a party place. Ten minute walk to town and as close to the ocean as you could dream of. Food much improved. As close to heaven as you can get!!! If you come please be as kind to these people as you would be to your own family.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
SunsetFishermen, General Manager at Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Dear guest_

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It has always been our pleasure to be your host adn we really appreciate your nice comments specially about our staff whom we are proud of and for considering Sunset Fishermen a place close to heaven.

Come back soon remember your little piece of heaven is waiting for you.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

Love the location of this resort so close to shopping and restaurants and the beach is so beautiful. I love the newly remodeled restaurant. The staff is excellent. However some of the units really need to be upgraded.

Room Tip: Towels and linens need to be replaced
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear guest:

Thank you for your nice comments. We are glad to read you were able to see our remodeled restaurante and experienced our Mexican hospitality.

Come back soon it will be our pleasure to be your host again.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

I exchanged this property through RCI for a 2 bedroom max 6 occupancy room. RCI requires the all-inclusive plan for a minimum of 4 people. I also booked a second 1 bedroom which required an all-inclusive plan for a minimum of 2 people.

Rooms: The 2 bedroom suite only slept 2 people privately as 354A and B were situated at the end of the third floor- on the corner. These were excellent rooms as you could watch the sun-rise each morning from the sofa. The room had a private bedroom and bath (shower only) separated by a joining door to a larger room/living room/kitchen area with no private sleep area. There was a king bed in both areas which had very comfortable mattresses and really nice sheets. Housekeeping services were EVERY DAY which was different for me as most resorts I stay at only provide it once or twice during the visit. The room was dated but I kinda kinda like that as it is quaint and more authentic. It was not "run down" in any way. The toilets needed a little TLC but worked fine during the week in both units. I also had a one bedroom, 353B which had similar arrangements and accommodations.

Housekeeping- was daily and the service was pristine. I was never present when they serviced the room but enjoyed the fresh linens, tightly drawn sheets on the bed that you could bounce a quarter on, and the towel animals each day. I often passed the housekeeping staff in the halls and they were always courteous.

All-inclusive plan- the all inclusive plan was $78 a day plus 15% tax/tip. However, if you prepaid, you got it for $72 a day with no additional 15% charge. I usually tip in American dollars for each meal so I preferred to tip this way instead of have a bill at the end of my stay. The plan consisted of breakfast till 11:30, lunch from noon to about 5 then dinner from about 6:30 to I think 9ish. There are 2 restaurant areas but only 1 was open at a time. I found the selection of food to be adequate and the quality of food absolutely superb. I saw Rigoberto, Pedro, Adam, Laura, Julian, Jenny and Adrien each day and was greeted with absolute warmth and kindness. All were eager to provide quality service and my "lack of Spanish Abilities" did not hinder in anyway. The breakfast consisted of a buffet and omelet/scrambled eggs cooked to your request with dishes changing out each morning. Plantains were plentiful and fresh fruit every morning. Lunch was provided via a limited menu of appetizers, burgers/sandwiches, and meals which was the same everyday, but I must say I never got tired of eating the fresh fish!! It was more than adequate. Dinner was themed each night with a changing menu (see photo). The restaurant for breakfast and dinner was air conditioned while for lunch it was open air on the beach. ALSO- part of the all-inclusive plan had a mini-bar stocked in each room. It was not the traditional mini-bar with chips, candy, etc. It was stocked with coke, diet coke, modelo, and other beers, and the most amazing prepared snack dish each night. We got a cheese plate, a plate of chocolate covered strawberries, pastries, fruit each day, which were absolutely wonderful. We couldn't wait to see each day what was left for us!!

Pool and Beach. I have been to numerous resorts over the years and I enjoy the small quaint boutique hotels. This is by far one of the BEST!! The beach is pristine and cleaned daily of seaweed (or whatever that is) by a man diligently at work each morning. Be sure to TIP HIM because he does the best job on the beach. As I walked the beach line in both directions, none of the other resorts had the their beaches as clean or as nice as the FISHERMAN's. I only regret I didn't get him name to recognize him here.

Pool Side Service- I don't think there is any pool service but the bartender did come out a few times to offer us drinks as there were not many people out at this time of year. The restaurant is not far so I actually didn't miss it. It probably also stopped me from eating too much!!

Alcoholic Beverages- I have to agree with previous posts, and this is really my main negative comment, the liquor is watered down quite a bit. I would prefer to pay an alcohol upgrade as I do in other places to get premium liquor- usually an additional $10-15 per day. So we went to town and bought tequila and rum to spice up our drinks. If you order enough tequila and/or rum straight up on the rocks, you'll eventually start to feel it. In mixed drinks- it affects the entire drink and really diminishes the taste quality.

While I was introduced to VICTOR, the activities coordinator, the very last day I was there, I didn't have much interaction with him prior to that day. Absalon, the Guardavida- basically lifeguard and paramedic on site, was the person I first met who introduced me to the activities of the resort and constantly made rounds encouraging us to join in as he ensured the safety of guests. He also offered information on the nonmotorized sports as well as other activities available on the beach, ie para sailing, jet skiing, ect. He was conscientious as he made regular rounds and courteous to the guests as he interacted with me and them on numerous occasions throughout the day. While his English is good (but I could tell he didn't totally understand everything in conversation- which was still better than my Spanish), I didn't catch his humor at first, ie I was going to swim with the dolphins as there is a statue of dolphins in the pool- it was quite hilarious after I caught on....probably a day later!! He also graciously volunteered his time to take my friend and I sailing after 5pm at no charge on the little sail boat (4 person) that you could use from the resort as neither of us were comfortable using them on our own. My friend and I took advantage of this almost every night and had a 5pm sail to end our day before dinner. I must say, out of everything we did- this was the ABSOLUTE HIGHLIGHT OF THE TRIP. The water was beautiful, some days calm and some days a little choppier but absolutely a wonderful way to end the day. Thanks Absalon. He is a true asset to your resort.

Check-in and out. I was greeted by Marciel who was my first contact with the resort in person. He was warm, inviting, and friendly. His English was excellent and his knowledge of the area helped us focus our time away from the resort on the things we most wanted to do. I heard him speak different languages to other guests and think he speaks about 4-5 languages???? AMAZING. I can barely speak 1. He took us to our room at check-in, showed us how everything worked, and returned to pick up our luggage upon checkout. His daily recommendations and knowledge was invaluable to the success of the trip.

I do agree with other reviews as the sort offers no way for guests to socialize after around 10pm. It would be nice to have a lighted area for us to use when several of us wanted to get together and chat, play cards, etc. However, this was only a minor inconvenience.

I am on my way home as I write the review in the airport and am already making plans to return in November with a different set of friends. I absolutely loved this resort and plan to make it part of my travels perhaps more than once a year. I look forward to seeing everyone in November.

Please feel free to hit me up on tripadvisor is you have any questions about my stay or the area. I am happy to help. I didn't use the spa services but uploaded their menu with services and prices.

Room Tip: 354 A and B make a great 2 bedroom however there is only 1 private room.
3  Thank Karen B

Dear guest:

Thank you for your comments. It was our pleasure to be your host and we appreciate the nice words specially about our staff whom we are proud of and thank you on their behalf.

Come back soon, we will be glad to be your host again.