New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #98 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Hamilton, Canada
“Great small resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Great small resort for a quiet destination. We upgraded to an ocean front suite and are really glad we did.. You step out onto the beach, and the water is maybe 20 steps infront of your porch. They had a deal on that included a sunbed for the week when upgrading. So we really enjoyed that as well.
Food was great, snack bar had chicken wings, nachos, and pizza which was all delicious. Bar didn't open till 10am but I can understand. Rooms were clean, facilities were all clean, pool was nice a cool and beach was well maintained.

Downside was there was alot of seaweed but that's not the resorts fault. In the waters there was a million boats everywhere which made it hard to swim around. Especially since they were zipping around you while you were trying to snorkel.

All in all I would recommend this resort if you get a good deal but definitely don't over pay. We enjoyed ourselves but would probably try a different hotel next time visiting the Mayan.

Room Tip: upgrade to a ocean front room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank corrinenicholls
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Corrinenicholls:

We really appreciate your review published on Trip Advisor.

We are grateful for your remarks and especially we are happy to know that you had a great vacation at Grand Coco Bay.
Thank you for recommending us.

Best regards
The Management.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Pinehurst, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Like other reviewers I had some reservations based on reviews I had read. I have to say my experience proved the negative reviews all wrong! We had a group of 19 ranging in age from 14 to 73. We all enjoyed ourselves very much. The only two complaints I had were...1) like others I did not like the beach chair situation. There are not nearly enough chairs for the amount of guests and they were all saved by early morning. My parents would have loved to sit at the beach in the shade and watch the activities the rest of the family were involved with, but there was no chairs available and even less places for shade. 2) I think they are very understaffed. Those that are there work very hard and can not keep up with the amount of people (bars, restraunts, entertainment), resulting in long waits for drinks, coffee etc. Other than that it was great! Good food (especially the special dinner show), everything was very clean..there was even a person raking seaweed at the beach ALL day. I don't remember names of all the staff(I would probably leave someone out) but they were all very friendly and helpful. Some people have complained about the boats in the water, but no one in our party thought it was a negative. There are some issues with things like airconditioners in the rooms, but it is an older building so that is to be expected. I liked the small size of the resort, we were able to do our own things, yet see others in our group and keep an eye on the numerous teenagers that were with us. Our whole group enjoyed our stay....I personally think it comes down to attitude. If you are determined to have a good time you will. If you are picky and want to find something to complain about, you can find something wrong anywhere you go. Overall we had a great, relaxing stay!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jlstew
Dear Jlstew,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your family at Grand Coco Bay. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities, even more we are happy to know that we exceed your expectations, being this one our constant goal.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Grand Coco Bay.

Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

My fiance and I just returned from Grand Coco Bay...we'd never done the all inclusive thing and didnt know what to expect....friends of ours always showed us pics and talked about these resorts they'd been to...and they looked fancy and new and huge...and i'll tell you right away, Coco Bay is not fancy and huge. IT IS however clean, well kept, authentic Mexican, friendly, sunny, breezy and FUN! it was nice inside..a fountain with turtles when you go in....coffee service in the afternoons...we'd play cards in the lobby and watch the lobby bartenders set up for 6pm opening..and let the warm breeze come in...swim up bar was fun, we'd get stuff from the snack bar (make your own nachos! and theres ice cream too! and other snack finger foods....)so relaxing...I did NOT wanna leave. The grounds are impeccable..always being trimmed, watered, etc...food is not some gourmet scene..its plentiful authentic Caribbean prepped and always something to like, even if you're picky and trust me, cause I was with a picky eater LOL the a la carte restaurants were simple and pleasant, the food a little more "fancy" and you just place your reservation at breakfast and go! by the way, breakfast was delicious and i'm not a coffee connoisseur but i liked it, i've heard ppl say it was gross, that wasnt my opinion...i never really got bored of the food, i had my favorites and looked forward to the things i knew would be there!
the rooms are simple and clean. All the rooms look out at either the pool or ocean or lovely greenery and flowers and trees...the resort has sketchy looking stuff around it but through the doors is a very chilled out relaxed little paradise
Nothing was ever busy...no long lines...you get to know the people vacationing and they become your friends..and so did the bartenders and waiters!
Guest services was sooo helpful and friendly and most people speak english...
it's right on playa del carmen, you can walk on the beach either way..so if the beach area directly in front of the resort isn't big enough for you just take a stroll...there's even a guy who rakes up the seaweed everyday so its just straight clear sand!!
the disco is a little wierd..could use some updating and there was never many people in there but if you wanna do something after 9pm have a drink up there and chat or whatever, play some pool etc...
our room had a crappy shower but i wasn't in mexico to take a great shower..know what i mean?
the activity crew and entertainment crew were young and lively and worked to put together fun casual stuff for us, kids enjoyed it too.
there were a few bugs in our room but i didnt care...they weren't scorpions or snakes lol just ignore them, they werent there all the time...
front lobby bathroom and the bathroom to the side of the pool are kinda run down but they are always clean! that was so great--constant tidyness and sanitized...smellin good. a little musty smell in the room ive heard some people say but i didnt notice..our bed was sorta hard but I understand thats typical for mexico...i slept great..sometimes the disco next door at a private club had bass booming but i slept anyway...air conditioning works great...
we walked to 5th ave and shopped...lots of other couples did too, even at night..felt safe..just use your head and be safe and dont break the law lol be aware of surroundings...you will see militia looking people or policia around..its routine..even if they have guns, its typical security...the sales people can be pushy..they will also see your bracelet and recognize where your staying and try to say they know you from there..just ignore them.
we kayaked..there is a building that has a few kayaks..some snorkeling stuff..etc..never had to wait for someone to bring the stuff back or anything, there is only 202 rooms in the resort, less than 1000 ppl at the resort at any given time..nothing was crowded etc...
if you are looking for wild-spring-break-let's- get-hammered-and-dance kinda thing..this isn't the place for you...if you are looking for ritzy, 5 star opulent upscale dining, architecture, rooms and entertainment, this isnt for you...
if you are looking for relaxed casual FUN and laughter and just a chill good time with friends, your spouse or kids, this IS the place, i loved it. the hardworking staff are so great, antonio the bartender, carlos the server, karenia at the front desk to name a few..
I think there's supposed to be waiter service around the pool and on the beach..but i dont think there was any..but seriously. think of how we all eat on vacation, i think the few steps to the bar would do us good!
oh yes and the hottub was not a traditional hot tub..the water isnt hot..just slightly warmer than the pool but its still relaxing...
also, we left our stuff around all the time...we'd get our lounger, and have our towels, my Kobo reader, camera, and my top or sunglasses..and id just leave it if i wanted to walk..no one ever touched our stuff ever...people looked out for people..also, rodrigo the sunquest rep was awesome..he arranged dolphin swimming....we went to chichen itza as well..long tiring tour for sure..but worth it cause the cenote was awesome...and i am a history junkie so the mayan stuff was amazing!
ok enough out of me, message me if you have any specific questions or want further info
i really suggest tipping for these people..servers...waiters...cleaning staff..drivers, cabs etc..these people work their A** off and make very little and they have such great spirit...

Room Tip: ground floor rooms take you right out by the pool and you will feel totally safe!:) rooms by the clu...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pandora81
Dear Pandora 81,

We really appreciate your review published on Trip Advisor.
We are grateful for your remarks and especially we are happy to know that you had a great vacation with us.

Thank you for recommending Grand Coco Bay. Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at anytime.

Best regards
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Just returned from Grand Coco Bay and had a great time. The staff was very friendly, and the service was super. The food was very good with a great variety and plenty of it. We plan to return again next year. I'm recommending Grand Coco Bay to our friends, as a great place to go.

Room Tip: ask for poolside room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Betty S
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Estimated Betty S.

Thank you for choosing Grand Coco Bay, as a destination for your vacation, also for letting us know that you had an excellent stay at the Resort.

Please do not forget that it will be a pleasure to welcome you back at Grand Coco Bay.

Best regards,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Six of us just returned from the Grand Coco Bay and we all loved it. The staff were super friendly, the service was very good. I was extremely impressed by the cleanliness of the rooms and common areas (was at another resort in Playa in December that had one more star, but was not nearly as clean or enjoyable). The food was tasty (a bit salty, but I often find that) - the cooked vegetables were nicely al dente and the variety was excellent. Special thanks to Gabriela, Veronica, Juany and Miguel in the restaurant. The entertainment staff were sweet and patient and very energetic! I met several visitors who had been going there for years and they said there is very little staff turnover - always a good sign. The beach right in front of the hotel is initially off-putting as there are boats moored farily close by so when they start up the gas fumes are nasty, but you can just toddle a little way away and it is all fine. The sand is lovely and the waterfront is shallow enough for swimmers who are not very confident. It`s a quick walk into town which makes it really great if you want to do a bit of both. This is a really relaxing place and I would return.

Room Tip: Two of our friends upgraded to an ocean-front room and it was really lovely. Although ours was pool...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank watersungal
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Watersungal,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments on your recent group vacation at Grand Coco Bay.
We can assure you that all of our clients’ opinions are very important to us because it is the most reliable source of information to improve our services and facilities.

We appreciate your good comments about our activities and services.
We hope that you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at Grand Coco Bay.

Detroit Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Well after reading some reviews on this resort I was a bit nervous...BOY were they wrong. From the moment we set foot on this property, it was wonderful. It is a smaller property, not as close to 5th Ave as I thought but I was happy about that. All the people were very helpful and friendly. When we arrrived the desk clerk said we had a room on the 1st floor. I asked for a 2nd floor if possible. No problem, Alisimo, the bellman was unreal and took us to preview a few rooms to choose from, and he remembered my name the whole trip. I always felt like I was home when I saw him. The Lomas travel agent, Juan Carlos was amazing. He help in more ways than booking excursions. The property was quaint and very well kept. The food was typical all inclusive food but if you go hungry it is your fault. You can always find something you like. The snack bar was always running and you could get a variety of foods. The roasted chicken was super. The specialty restaurants were very good. One Italian and one Mexican. If there is Mexcian gourmet, this place nailed it. The food was very good and the presentaton astounding.
The activity staff was very good at getting people involved without being overbearing. They were also very entertaining. The rooms were basic and if there is one thing that needs to be upgraded is the rooms but hey, you sleep and you hit the pool or beach. The bed was comfy and there was an abundance of pillows.
Now this too me is the quality of this resort. We met another couple from the USA. We hit it off and were going on an excusion on Wed together. That morning he had difficulty breathing. The staff was there immediatley with oxygen, the hotel Doctor was ther within minutes and an ambulance soon followed. The reaction time was amazing. The Lomas travel customer service manager even went to the hospital, and stayed in the waiting room and then drove the couple back to the resort when he was released. They even assisted in getting them a flight back to the states within hours of the request. That is what you want, in an emergency, you want the staff to respond properly and this staff did just that. That can't be taught, it just is the quality of this staff.
Here is another amazing story. My brother came by (from Cancun) and we jumped a taxi to 5th Ave. He left his camera in the taxi. He went back to Grand Coco Bay, and asked the security to see if the cab driver had his camera. The next morning I get a call, went to the lobby, the cab driver was there with the camera and also showed me the $200 in US dollars was still in the camera pouch. I was again amazed.
As for other finds... down the beach, 50 yards, 1 hour full massages for $30 US... amazing....and so much less than the resort. We had 3 massages.
The Camel excursion, recommended by Juan Carlos with Lomas was a must do!....
The silver shop in the lobby, a great selection and the prices were resonable and negotiable.
The nightly shows were entertaining and good quality.
The drinks were just fine and no skimping on the alcohol mixes.
I understand the resort will be under new ownership as of March 1. I can only hope they can improve the rooms cosmetically, but they have outstanding service already in place.
While not a 5 star resort, its smaller size, its staff, and its quality of the grounds certainly makes this a must stay.
I have been visiting Mexico for 15 years, I am not new to the country and not easily impressed but...We loved Grand Coco Bay and will certainly return.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RoblovesMexico
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Robloves Mexico,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your family at Grand Coco Bay. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities, even more we are happy to know that we exceed your expectations, being this our constant goal.

We look forward to see you again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Grand Coco Bay.

The Management
Lethbridge, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

The Grand Coco Bay is a perfect vacation spot for first times to the all inclusive caribbean vacation. We travelled with a group of 11 people, all family. The size of the resort was perfect for the purpose of our trip. It's was small enough that we easily found each other throughout the day without having to set a timeframe to see each other. Overall the resort is very basic and plain but great for your average "one week to Mexico kind of place".
Positives: the resort itself it quite beautiful with all the amenities in the middle such as a nice large pool, snack bar, restaurants, bar etc. the staff were all very friendly and all deserve to be tipped here and there. If you don't like leaving the resort, vendors come in at different times throughout the week so you can do some shopping. There are no independent vendors allowed to stroll the beaches here, so no constant harassing for necklaces, braiding etc etc. the pool is great! Nice and big. The overall cleanliness is quite good. I think the hotel has some wear and tear to it, but I think that's to be expected. The Mayan Riviera itself is very nice, seems well maintained. I would almost say "ritzy", having been toother areas from the Caribbean. There is lots to do in this area for everyone and anyone, just costs lots of dineros.
Negatives:
The beach that belongs to the resort is quite small. A lot of people were reserving chairs under the huts the night before and I didn't think that was fair. There aren't a lot of water sports included like snorkel/glass bottom boat and catamaran, which are things we really like to do. There isn't much to do for kids here except swim. But there is a "mini disco" for them at 8 everyday. The rooms are very very basic. The beds were pretty hard, a bit run down. We had a leak in our room due to the air conditioner, but they came to fix it right away. We had some little fruit flies in our bathroom, but with some bug spray took care of that. I found that if you don't leave food or drinks open in your room, they don't really come. There is a show at night, some were good, some were ok. It was justbtoo bad there wasnt any nightlife outside, such as a live band. The food is also very plain. It's good, but nothing fancy. For example, I was looking forward to seafood night all week, but all there was for seafood was a bit of shrimp (little ones) and some mussels. But I have to say we were quite spoiled at "beaches sandy bay". Last thing, I thought it was kind of expensive for the wifi ($80) for the week.
Overall, we had a great time. I suggest you pay with pesos in the town, I think you get better prices and easier bartering. Taxis are an easy way to get around, just negotiate a little. There are cheaper ways to do things, just ask....

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Pacifica911
Dear Pacifica911,
We really appreciate your review published on Trip Advisor. All our staff is happy to know that you and your family had a good vacation at Grand Coco Bay, it is our constant goal to satisfy all of our clients expectations.

Also your observations are very important, please be sure that they will be considered in order to improve our services and facilities.

We look forward to see you again soon thank you for choosing to stay with us at Grand Coco Bay.

Best regards,
#16 of 22 in Akumal
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,477 reviews
7.7 km away
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#51 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Allegro Playacar
Allegro Playacar
#83 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,177 reviews

Been to The Reef Coco Beach? Share your experiences!