Ok, So after 7 years we decide we should go on vacation.
I book it at the Grand Coco Bay Resort in Playa Del Carmen. I book a Beach Front Room aside from the 50.00 differance in the per night charge this room is to have one king size bed, and a walk out balcony to the beach.
We arrive at the resort to be told "Our Room is not ready" however we will receive a free upgrade for our trobles to the "best room at the hotel" a suite no less. However it is not Ocean front it is ocean view a 3rd floor room. As we have several excursions planned for the first few days we will spend little time in the room so we agree. We are assigned 2366 a GREAT ROOM the next day we are off to Cozumel for an overnighter, then Xcarat the next day. When we get back we have been moved again to 2301 a HORRIBLE room. Located above the restaurant and the old grease containers, and garbage the smell when you open the door is enough to make you wretch. To make matters worse if you open the balcony door there are so many bugs it is impossible to even explain. Also this room is Ocean View again not Ocean front as we paid for. We go to the desk to ask to be moved again. We are told very nicely that this is the room we paid for, after some convincing the desk clerk relents and agrees to move us but not until the next day. We are then moved to 2166 finally an Ocean Front Room however with 2 twin beds at this point we have not unpacked and been all over the hotel so we don't complain. The room is nice and clean and we have a great LAST DAY of our vacation. Thats right folks on the last day we finally get the room we paid for, well sort of. Moving around really messed up our mojo and kinda put a kink in our vacation.
All this aside I must say the staff at the hotel are exceptional, very friendly and helpful even in bad situations. Victor the belman was very helpful and as you might guess we got to know him due to our many moves around the property. They keep up the resort, scrub things, security is good, food is very good, drinks were good and everyone was friendly with the exception of the dive shop guy. You get one hour free snorkel rental, and if you don't book a tour with him he is kinda cranky.
Anyway all this aside we would return to this resort however I would insist I get the room I paid for up front. Did not want the suite although it was nice I never used it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 30 miles south of Cancun, The Reef Cococbeach is the perfect compliment to the white sandy beaches and turquoise waters of this world renowned tropical paradise. Just a short walk from the picturesque town of Playa del Carmen, you will enjoy our personalized service, the privacy you desire in a resort destination and the entertainment of one of the best night life's the Mayan Riviera has to offer.Our location provides easy access to the many attractions the Mayan Riviera has to offer such as Playa del Carmen's famous 5th avenue, Playacar's Bird Sanctuary, Playacar Golf Club, Xcaret, Xel-Ha, Tulum and much, much more.The hotel offers 196 comfortable rooms Caribbean style, our pleasant rooms consist of one king size bed or two double beds, terrace or balcony, air conditioning, ceiling fan, mini fridge, TV,hair dryer, vanity mirror, telephone and bath room with bahttub and shower combination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, Booking.com, Cancelon, Agoda, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Reef Coco Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Coco Bay Mexico
- Grand Coco Bay Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Riviera Maya
- The Reef Coco Beach Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico