After many years of vacations on the (quite beautiful) resorts that dot the Riviera Maya, we decided to break out this year and vacation on our own terms. A lucky reservation cancellation landed us a room (two different rooms, actually - we changed rooms midweek by choice) at the Playa Maya during the week of February 17. Who knew that we had secured a reservation at what is undoubtedly one of the finest (and very likely the finest small) hotel in Playa del Carmen?!!
My husband and I have agreed that the week we spent in Playa del Carmen was the best vacation that we have had in the 15 years we have been together - and our stay at the Playa Maya absolutely played a major part in our experience.
A staff that caters to their guests generally defines the quality of a hotel stay, and there are simply not enough superlatives to describe all of the staff that served our every want and need while we stayed. They are generous with their time and attention, and cheerful and gregarious with their interactions with their guests. If you stay, you will immediately recognize the following: "FrontDesk" Pedro, Julianna, Maria, "Bar Pedro," Rasael, Carla, Carlos, the "Juans"... The cleaning staff is marvelously efficient; the beach crew is every bit attentive as everyone else.
This is a small hotel, and it felt like home. We stayed in the Jacuzzi Garden room and in a Deluxe Balcony with Hammock room - and the accommodations were completely satisfying. We feel quite sure that we could have stayed in any of the rooms at the hotel and have been equally pleased. We met many wonderful people on the beach, hopefully linking to long-term relationships. As others have noted, the breakfast that is part of the lodging fee is more than sufficient. Both breakfast and lunch menus are extensive - and the food is great! And the drinks that they serve up are no "resort" watered-down beverages, either.
We also tip our hat to Stephen Ryeberg who has put together such a wonderful staff - and who was also so attentive to all of the emails I sent, answering all of my questions and making suggestions in an amazingly quick response-time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Maya is right on the beach and centrally located, just 1 block from 5th Avenue, the heart of activity in Playa del Carmen. Our unusual off-street location and beach-only entrance make us a very tranquil base from which our guests can easily explore all the shopping & nightlife of Playa, along with the other wonders of the Riviera Maya. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Travelocity.ca so you can book your Playa Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Maya Del Carmen
- Playa Maya Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico