Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
US$303
US$587
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$423
US$240
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$413
US$289
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)
US$395
US$215
Melia.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$486
US$973
US$450
US$187
Cancelon
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,434
US$761
Bookit.com
10,618 results
All reviewscactus clubseaside grilldesires barentertainment stafffloor conciergetropical viewour honeymoonpool barhydrotherapy circuitcoco cafesmaller resortromantic dinner on the beachother resortsmy pleasureitalian restaurantall inclusive resortturn down service
Reviewed December 9, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Secrets Capri 11/29 through 12/6 - On our way back I told my husband I wanted to definitely write a review on this hotel. Up until the time we departed there were many negative reviews that I read here in one way or the other. Needless to say I started getting apprehensive. All of the negative reviews noted prior we never experienced except for the Beach erosion which the resort did all they could daily to maintain it. This is our 3rd stay in Mexico at an all inclusive one of which was a Dreams in Puerto Vallarta. This hotel far exceeded our stay at the Dreams resort.

We arrived 11/28 and did not book through an agency and therefore needed to arrange our own airport transfer. We booked with The Yellow Taxi, but later found out we could have just used a taxi outside the hotel which would have been considerably less. Our taxi driver though was so informative on our way to the hotel, it felt as though he was our own little tour guide.

Upon arriving at Secrets Capri, we were greeted with champagne and cool cloths to wipe our face and told “Welcome Home”. After check in we went to the outdoor cafe for lunch. While walking outside the first thing I noticed was the quietness. By the end of our trip I found the quietness to contribute to much of the relaxation we experienced there. Our lunch at the outdoor cafe which was beach side was the start of our excellent dining experience during our stay. Started with Shrimp Cerviche and Shrimp Tacos absolutely delicious! Cerviche is a must! Many different kind of cerviche to choose from.

Our room was very spacious, ocean / pool view with a Jacuzzi tub. We were greeted with a bottle of champagne chilling and fresh fruit in our room. The bed / pillows were very comfortable. We had no problem with maid service and the room was turned down every night for us.

The help at the resort are so kind and very accommodating. Always trying to please you. I was impressed that when thanking them for anything their reply was consistently.... "My pleasure".

They had activities throughout the day you could participate in, or simply bow out and just relax. They also had nightly entertainment. Some better than others. Suggest Caribbean Night and The Fire show.

We went into Playa Del Carman during the day and evening. Looks totally different at night. I really liked it, and suggest visiting both times for the experience.

We also took the tour of Tulum (Mayan Name: “Zama”). This tour was very informative and beautiful. I suggest it as a must on your visit.

Since our prime goal of our trip was relaxation..... We didn't take a bunch of tours, but then that gave us a better perspective of the hotel. I know my experience at Secrets Capri did all I wanted it to do by the reaction of friends and co-workers when I returned as to how relaxed I looked.

It's a smaller scale hotel. Has a beautiful lobby, pool, etc. has a great ambiance of old Spanish flare. The pool side by the bar is heated, and usually slightly more crowded. Plenty of lounge chairs both poolside and beachside. No need to “reserve” with a towel for yourself. It's not a "party all night" hotel, but after your in the sun all day and enjoying your cocktails, you're ready to retire early (about 11pm or so). If you want more of a party scene, you can always go to Playa Del Carman for the clubs. We were looking for a more subdued atmosphere with those wanting to have fun, but not party to you drop. That’s exactly how the folks were we met and associated with.

We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Unless you are in your room during the day, the pool / ocean views are the best
3  Thank Movin2quik
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Nov. 14th - 24th.

First of all you need to know I love all food. The food at Secrets Capri left a lot for the imagination and the taste buds. About 90% was bland, bland and more bland. I recommend the green curry at the Asian restaurant. And you can't go wrong with the ceviche. The poolside bar food was pretty good too (jalapeño poppers and fish tacos). The steak house was good. We stayed for ten days so the food was kind of important. I can't forget to speak of the heat in the restaurants, it was almost unbearable. Easily 10-15 degrees warmer than outside. Maybe that's why the food didn't have any flavor? We had the option to take a cab to two other Secrets resorts for dinner but decided against it.

The room was nice. The only button visible on the TV remote was the 5 and it was FOX news. The house keeping wasn't so good. We tipped generously to no avail. The last full day we finally had a good cleaning and wondered if they did it because new guests would be arriving soon.

We know there was a huge storm recently so I'm not critical of the beach, but it was small and extremely rocky. It just may be the time of year as I've only been to Mexico in the early spring on my other vacations.

The resort as a whole was too small for me. A day or three into our stay I walked around the entire place and it took me all of 7 minutes and I think I actually gained 3lbs.

We loved one of the poolside servers, his name is Oscar. Always prompt. We tipped him well. I liked the towel service. No cards to carry.

For Secrets Capri supposedly being a 'luxury' resort, the only difference from the others I've been to was the price. And I'll mention Montezuma was in the house and not only ours. We overheard others talking about it as well. It was a little more expensive and I don't think it was worth it. Over all we had a good time but we'll not go back.

I recommend the Gran Bahia Principe and Ocean Coral Turquesa for a better time for less money. The first is huge the latter about twice the size of Secrets Capri.

2  Thank tobyspeeks
Reviewed December 8, 2011

So me and my boyfriend travelled here end of November, and we are in our young 20's, and both of us really enjoyed our stay! I do have to say, since its a bit more of an expensive resort there weren't that many younger couples, so that kind of sucked for us, but everyone there were really friendly so it made up for that aspect of it. The service was always great there, super friendly and very efficeint. The food was ALWAYS great, was never disappointed with any meal there. I felt very catered too, it was a real nice treat. I would definitely recommend this resort! The only pitfall of the whole trip was the beach. I love swimming, I could spend the whole day in the ocean, but from the winter current it brought in a lot of drift wood and rocks which made it crappy to walk out into the water. But while we were there, they had hired some workers to come clean that up, I think that could happen to any resort. One last thing that I was really happy with was the room, we had gotten a "tropical view" room, and much to my surprise we even had a pretty decent view of the ocean. It was definitely a tropical view but it still had a good view of the ocean!

3  Thank missalyss4
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Just returned from Secrets Capri and it was an amazing vacation !!!! The resort is absolutely beautiful and the staff are top-notch by far. Everyone goes "over & above" to ensure you are happy. I must make special mention of Eliseo, waiter at the pool area, Laura of the Entertainment Staff, Johnni at Desires Sports Bar, Super Carlos as your food waiter. The entire staff and facilities exceeded our expecations. Unfortunately for the resort, their beach was washed away by storms in November but they've done what they could to repair and there is lots of seating / chairs for everyone on the beach and pool areas. The resort is small and you see the same friendly guests each day which is nice. The golf they offer is also excellent. We will definitely return to this beautiful resort. AWESOME VACATION !!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 132Traveller132
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I am a 35-40 year old male, traveled with my wife, this is our 5th AI stay. We stayed at Secrets Silversands in December of 2010. I'll make a brief comparison of the two at the end, but would like to review Capri solely on it's own merits.

We arrived at the Capri via USA Transfers (outstanding!), we arrived early at 12:00 p.m. and as I expected, our room was not ready. We were given moist towels and champagne, checked in and were handed off to an associate to walk us through the hotels amenities and whatever else. We were never given a timeshare/dine around/spa service spiel, just a simple run down of the hotel and sent off for lunch while our room was prepared. We had lunch at the buffet, grabbed a cappuccino and hung out in the lobby. By 2:30 we were escorted to our ocean view on the 3rd floor, our bags followed immediately. Considering that check in wasn't until 3:00, and we chose to arrive early, we felt the entire check in process was more than adequate.

We were celebrating my wife's birthday and were given the birthday banner around the door, balloons garnishing the bed, and a bucket with champagne. Very nice touch and was consistent with what we received when we celebrated our anniversary at Silversands a year prior. Our room was very clean, spacious enough, and had a decent view of the pool and ocean. We received house keeping everyday and turn down service every evening; very consistent. I even mistakenly left our 'do not disturb' light on and received a note advising that I could call and they would come back to service the room. I called the concierge and the room was serviced before we had returned.

We spent the first couple of days at the pool. There is one large pool that is separated by a partition in the middle. The side containing the pool bar was significantly warmer (most likely heated), however we chose the side without the pool bar and found the water to be cooler, but more refreshing. Loungers were plentiful and always available; plenty of rafts as well. We chose the non-pool bar side as the pool bar side was definitely the party side. I like an afternoon inebriation as much as anyone, especially by a pool in Mexico, but the pool bar side of the pool had a definite "amateur hour" vibe. Super sloppy drunks, embellished public displays of affection, dance moves that should never happen in public; there just isn't enough booze on a resort to get me to bellow Reo Speedwagon songs at the top of my lungs at 3:00 p.m. Thankfully, the pool is big enough that I could lounge on the other side with my cocktail and achieve the ultimate relaxation under the Mexican sun in peace.

Our last few days we spent at the beach. It is true that the beach suffers from some roots that project up from the the sand. There is a crew of guys on the beach each day hacking these roots up. Back breaking work that likely will never end; Sisyphus type of labor. That said, the beach was walkable, the ocean assessable, and we enjoyed several days on the beach. Drink service was able on the beach and there were always plenty of loungers to choose from.

With food being as subjective as it is, I will just comment that it met our expectations of all inclusive fare. There were some really good things, some just ok things, and some down right bad things. Highlights for us were, Portofino, the fish tacos/ceviche at the Cactus Bar, room service, and the breakfast buffet at La Riviera.

The bars were our biggest gripe. The lounge bar is a walk up type bar with formal seating around it. We prefer a bar that has more of a "belly up to" option, but they served up some great drinks and were fast. Take advantage of their coffee presentation. They are happy to make an expresso or cappuchino. The pool bar was assessable from the pool, but only had 3 chairs on the land side. You could walk up and order a drink, but couldn't realistically sit at it unless you were in the pool. The beach bar had a few seating options, but got so much walk up action from guests and pool servers that sitting there was futile. The really only sit down option bar is Desires, which reminded me of some cheesy bar in a bad 80's Cinemax movie. It just didn't appeal to us.

All in all, I rated the Capri as just average. The resort was more than adequate for our needs and has good value, but with so many other resorts available, it just didn't have a "come back here" factor. As a matter of fact, we preferred Silversands to Capri and would likely return to Silversands simply due to their outstanding bars and over sized rooms.

I would also like to comment on some of the cleanliness/illness issue that have surrounded Capri reviews lately. We never saw any sanitary issues at all during our stay. Everything was clean, the staff were all professional and worked very hard. We never had an illness issue and never spoke with anyone on the resort that had experienced any issues with cleanliness or illness.

Tip: We had an early flight out on Wednesday morning. Tuesday night is the Caribbean night and was definitely the most lively night there with a band. If possible, I would avoid an early morning Wednesday flight as we would've liked to have enjoyed the Tuesday night festivities without the burden of travel the next morning. It made for a very long day of travel for us.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple