“All Inclusive Great for Couples”

Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Ranked #38 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvani
“All Inclusive Great for Couples”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My wife and her friend booked this trip as a couples excursion to Cancun. After getting a fantastic value from the resort for the hotel and flight, we were on our way a few weeks ago. The resort itself is not the biggest of those listed, but does offer anything to your hearts content.

Before I really get into how great this resort is, let me just mention that we are more pool people then beach people. The beach here was devastated by hurricane in the gulf late last year, and they are working hard to replenish the sand and make it much better then it currently is. If you and your significant other are looking for long walks on the beach or sitting by the beach all day, this may not be your destination. There are some great cabanas and chairs by the ocean, however, you've only got a good five to ten feet of sand seperating the ocean from the start of the grass to the pool.

That said, if you are a pool or 'pool bar' kind of person, this resort is right up your alley. Large pool area with appropriate in and out of water bars for those who don't want to get wet. This is a sunbathers paradise, as there's only a small portion of pool that's obstructed in the morning by shade. Great lounges and bar services right at your chair is the perfect touch.

Let's talk a little about your food and beverages, only one out of the six restaurants we ate at could we say something bad about. The rest were absolutely perfect. The Oceana especially was great for the Oceanview and Himitsu had a dynamie hibachi setup if that's your sort of thing. Drinks at the pool were the best quality I've had, and I've been to six other Caribbean destinations. Really use great liquors for mixed drinks and have some great original ideas for their resort.

We upgraded our room when we got there and had a pool/ocean view. Room was really nice and had a huge comfy King size bed along with a fully stocked mini bar, with new beers and airplane liquors every day. Tip the chambermaid a few bucks more, and you'll get 2x the stuff, no problem. The one area of my room I did not like was the go between from the bedroom to the bathroom. The frosted glass door with no fan does not offer much privacy for those who need 'to go', and can be a bit distracting if someone's getting ready.

Staff at the resort was friendly from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. Polite, and english speaking guests can feel comfortable without trying Spanish. The entertainment while we stayed included a Pirate Themed night and a Mayan show, also including various events throughout the day (including a Texas Hold 'em tournament great for the guys or gals)

Spa was one extra my buddy and I splurged on for our wives. Said it was worth every penny and that the treatments were better then some that our wives had in the States. Good to know, because while nice, treatments can be pricy. Try to take advantage of the deals they have which will be advertised on the daily newsletter you get in your room.

Overall, Secrets Capri was a great experience for my wife and I, and a great trip to take in February. I heard many say that we shouldn't go to Cancun, but we had zero problems our entire trip while we were there. I highly recommend looking into any of the Secrets locations while in Mexico, but Capri is great for those who like to relax, enjoy the pool, and appreciate the type of value that they can receive in a trip to Mexico.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool can be loud until 9pm.
5 Thank Christian B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,376)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Mx
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I don't have words to describe the best service and the all things that I received during my stay in this wonderful place on the Riviera Maya. I just say thanks Secrets Capri Riviera.

Room Tip: If you make the toilet more private will be great
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Erick P
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We just stayed at Secerts Capri in January 2012 for a week. We had a wonderful time and plan on going back in the future. We read all the reviews on this resort. Some wrote that they got sick during their stay. We did not get sick and the food was wonderful. Some have written that the portions were small. I just don't understand. You eat all day long and sure don't need that much to eat at night. we never were hungry. The food is great. Some said the beds were uncomfortable. That is far from the truth. The beds are very comfortable. The staff is amazing. I went to the spa and had the most wonderful massage ever. Try it out if you can. Some say that the beach isn't very good. Well you can't stop mother nature. There are so many things to do that you just don't miss the beach. The resort can't control what the ocean does. Please do not listen to all the negitive comments written. We liked the smaller feel of the resort. We stayed in room 119 and had a great view of the ocean. It doesn't matter where your room is because you are hardly in your room. We HIGHLY recommend this resort. We have been to this area many times and this resort is by far the best. It's smaller which is nice. You can't go wrong on Secerts Capri

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We visited the Capri from Feb. 17-24 on an adult square deal from Apple Vacations. Having visited Secrets St. James last month and loving it, I didn't think it could be improved upon. I was wrong. The employees are what really make this resort. All are so friendly and happy to please. Lou Ann from Spa Services was amazing and fun, Yess and his brother Eddie were a hoot and Juan from the pool bar was the best bartender I have come across, and there have been many over the years, lol. Those are just to name a few but I did want to mention them as they were my favorites.

We go on at least two of these a year as I am not a fan of Wisconsin Winters and I beg to differ when someone ranks the Rius better than these. Just the difference in mattresses makes a world of difference in my book. Riu mattresses are ultra-firm and these are plush and comfy. Riu pillows are thin and flat and these are great with choices. I could go on comparing but I think the biggest thing is Riu resorts are geared to Europeans and Sunscapes, Dreams and Secrets are geared to Americans and the food, drinks (Budweiser beer for one) etc. reflect that. An earlier reviewer called it tube socks??? One heck of a nice pair of tube socks, if that is what you call this. Granted, we are older (50's) and not into late night partying so we love the quieter, all-adult atmosphere but I spoke to many of the younger crowd and everyone seemed very happy with the place.

I totally enjoyed feeding the Coati which are adorable little coon-like animals on the jungle side of the resort that come out in the early morning and evening and love apples and bananas. My 80 minute massage and hydrotherapy session on my birthday was awesome and the way they decorated my room was wonderful. We got chocolates on the bed with turndown service every night as did our friends on the other side of the hotel so I don't know what happened to the other couple's. I saw tons of them on the maid's cart and we got them at both Secrets so I am sure it's a standard thing. True, you do only get a few small bottles of booze in the room and I have no idea how the pressure in the tub was because if I wanted to sit in a hotel room and drink booze or sit in the tub, I wouldn't go to Mexico to do it. I can do that at home. In short, lovely, extremely clean resort with great food, great service and comfy chairs and beds that I will surely return to.

I would like to mention, we didn't see much of the entertainment but the Fire Show on Thursday night was great. Plus, the people in the show gave new meaning to the term hot, lol.

Room Tip: Our room was a pool/ocean view on the top floor. All the action was down there but always quiet by...
3 Thank conklem1
Colorado Springs
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Having stayed at larger resorts, I worried that this would be too small. However, it exceeded
our expectations with everything!! The staff and service were amazing! When we were lying by the pool, the staff would bring around fresh fruit and small sandwiches. In the lounge everyday, There were pastries and coffee or wines to help yourself. Flaming coffees were available every afternoon.
The restaurants were all good. We especially enjoyed the Italian one and the Seaside Grill.
The place was immaculate. Everyone there seems to work extra hard to make your stay
enjoyable.
We plan to return there in the near future!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jazzyjo60
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Stayed in secrets Capri from 10/19-10/25. This resort is very relaxing and the staff is great. There's always a staff checking to see if you need any drinks ,etc.
The resort is pretty small but nice. The food was good, buffet could had been better. The buffet restaurant had small selection.
The beach was nice even after having a storm the week before we got there. Even tho the water in the pool was frigid, I still loved the pool.
There's not much Activity going on in this resort, except beach and pool volleyball and the nightlife is poor.
The evening shows are ok. Once the shows are over, the only thing you could do is hang out in the Lounge or go to bed early (11pm)... There's no Club in this resort or Casino...
Overall, it's a nice resort mostly for couples. This resort is more to relax and have a quiet time by the pool or beach.I would recommend it. I have been to other dreams/ secrets resorts and they are amazing and have no complaints.
This resort is for couples and the older crowd. I highly recommend if u just wana go and relax.. But if Ur more of the party kind or love the nightlife,..then this is not the place.
Ps. Ya have to do the coco bongo on the weekdays.. I recommend that club in playa del Carmen.

• Stayed October 2011
5 Thank Ecorn77
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We have been to many all inclusive resorts in various countries -- so do have something to compare to.

First of all - the service here is amazing. The management must be doing a really good job to create such a great atmosphere that the staff seem genuinely happy to engage and help out their guests. Oscar at the pool area was amazing - as were many of the other servers. We had one bad encounter -- with the hostess at the Portofino -- would not look at us -- very snarky. Eventually the manager came over to seat us. But what can you do. Only one person out of many.

Now the tricky part -- The rooms that I saw were very dark. As in so dark you couldn't see to read a book in the evening -- and don't even think about applying make up or such in the bathroom. After the second day of living in the dark I called the front desk to ask for either more lights or brighter light bulbs. To their credit they came and upped the wattage! It was great -- we now had light! The bed was very comfortable - but not the pillows. We had a garden view - which is great for being quiet -- but I did miss the ocean. At this resort you really have to pick ocean or garden. The ocean views are nicer -- but very noisey. A personal preference really.

The food was mostly very good. The breakfast buffet had everything I was looking for. If something was missing I only had to ask and they brought it out. Lunch was excellent at the beachfront Cactus Grill. Beautiful view of the ocean -- some ocean breezes to cool down -- and some great food. Luis was an awesome server -- impressing us with his english and french skills. Dinners were great at Portofino and the Japanese. The Seaside Grill was very good once they cooked the Prime Rib correctly. The first time was very overdone -- but once I mentioned it they quickly brought out a better slice. The Oceana was terrible. We tried twice to eat there -- both times were awful. I left most of the food on my plate. I noticed the table beside us also left a lot of their food -- and then we saw them getting food at the buffet later.

During our 1 week at the resort there were 3 nights of outdoor buffets. We didn't participate in the actual buffet meals -- so can't comment on those. But --- when the resort sets up for these outdoor events it is inconvenient for the guests around the pools -- as they move you and your chairs. Not the best way to manage. Also -- I have to comment on a wedding we saw there. A small wedding of approx. 20 guests -- but very formal -- suits, ties, long gowns. And then a pool full of drunk 'guests' right on top of the ceremony. Not very classy!

The entertainment was okay. It seemed slightly better than some other resorts -- they had the standards - the Elvis singer - Mexican dancers & bands - Mayan dancers - Comedian (who was horrible -- yelled a lot and must have thought every guest was from the USA) - plus lots of different games and activities throughout the day.

One suggestion would be to have a piano player or singer in the lobby bar from 5:00 to 7:00 -- to entertain guests while waiting for dinner or just relaxing. The lobby bar waitresses were awesome --- and they make a superb 'special coffee'.

Overall -- a nice resort -- a nice size -- excellent staff -- good food. But --- it always felt crowded and somewhat disorganized -- and I don't really like to have to decide between a quiet garden view and a noisey ocean view.

Room Tip: The garden view rooms do allow you to 'play' with the wildlife -- the coatimundis and capyba...
6 Thank Altius10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
9.7 km away
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#53 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
3.2 km away
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
27.5 km away
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
0.4 km away
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#43 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
30.4 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
12.4 km away
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!