“Riu Palace Riviera Maya” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Ranked #37 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
ohio
“Riu Palace Riviera Maya”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

My daughter and I visited the Palace in early March and loved it. This was our second trip to the Palace here and we've visited Riu properties. The hotel is beautiful and the staff does a wonderful job of keeping everything clean and nice looking. I had read reviews before our trip about the smell of the rooms and have to agree that our room was a bit musty smelling. Maybe it's just the location but, the smell did bother me every time I walked into the room. The fan did seem to help.
I thought the food here was great. I ate mostly the fruits and veggies and loved the guacamole! We ate guac with every meal! The wine there leaves something to be desired. Usually a chardonnay drinker, I found the red wine to be the best choice offered.
We spent our time on the beautiful beach and basically stayed at the resort the whole time. We were thinking about going to play with the dolphins but after I asked a bunch of questions we realized that we would be gone for several hours and only get to really spend a couple of minutes with the dolphins. For the price ($149 or $179) and time this did not sound appealing to either one of us.
I was a little concerned about traveling alone with my daughter, but we didn't have any trouble at all. One thing we did and loved was packing everything in our carry on case. We did not check bags. Basically, we sailed through customs and we able to move quickly and efficiently through the airport and resort.
If this is your first time to Playa del Carmen you will not be disappointed! The beaches are so beautiful and so is the Palace. Have a wonderful trip!

5 Thank 1luckygirl1303

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,000)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

My wife and I (I'm 42) just returned from Riu Palace, Riviera Maya. Since I chose this spot from the reviews I would like to give the real 100% accurate depiction of this resort. First we travel to Turks and Caicos every year, for us, many resorts on the island are the meaning of "5 star". As soon as a resort is "all inclusive" it can't be compared to a "5" star resort that isn't. So my rating for Riu in the "all inclusive" category would be an all around 4. The service is a resounding 5! Whomever manages the RIU chain should write a text book on hotel service because this place is run to perfection. Spotless every second of the day. You are waited on hand and foot. Every one is treated with a smile. Here's the low down:

Rooms: Basically all junior suites. They are quaint, nice tile, decent bed, nice bathroom. A 3 on the scale of rooms, but for sleeping, showering and dressing, perfect. If you are room hanger, not for you.

Resort Building: Stunning architecture, just a great feel to it. Loved the layout. Spotless at all times. 5 star all the way.

Resort grounds: Same. Beautiful landscaping, fountains etc. A great courtyard to hang at night have drink, smoke a cigar. 5 star.

Pool: Nice double pool, infinity up top. Warm, clean, great swim up bar. I won't lie, its the loudest spot there. Lots o drinking, music, very party like. 4 star. I don't care much for crowds but it has a cool vibe and I wasn't bothered by the "action"!

Beach: Being a Turks & Caicos person I have high expectations and this beach was a homerun. Beautiful blue water, warm and very big! Not like Cancun, this beach is xtra large! Great for long walks and privacy. There is also a big section with all palms for the shade lovers, chairs and hammocks. 5 stars+++

Food: In a nutshell, 4 stars. All the buffets are great, not fancy so if you want veal and capers go elsewhere. Full selection, chickens dishes, fajitas, hot dogs, hamburgers, mahi mahi, shrimp, pizza, pasta etc....Loved all of it, deserts not great. Although at dinner they make homemade Churos, wow, yumm! Restaurants, same, very good, although if I go again, which I will, I do the buffet, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Its a win/win that way, don't like something, go get something else!

Alcohol: mid tier stuff, Absolute, Bacardi etc....Great mudslides, Vodka Lemon, etc....

Entertainment: I guess was OK, the people watching was fantastic!

For the price, this place is a no brainer, and to stay in Playacaar is a real no brainer. Long walks, protected community (I mean you feel REAL safe) 5th Ave shopping, ferry to Cozumel. One of the best vacations I ever took, thanks to the most important thing of all, Full Sun the entire time!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank dansher
Annan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

OUR WEDDING AT THE RIU PALACE (AND OMG IT IS A PALACE)

FLIGHTS:
We flew with Thomson Airways from Glasgow airport (Scotland) We borded our flight on time only to be delayed by 2hours before we took off... There was an extra case on the plane we finally found out which should have been going toCape Verde!!! Whoops... Those poor people whose case it was!!!
Oh well, just one of those things, we were in holiday mode anyway so werent too bothered just wanted to get on ourway, would by no means complain about the airline because of this as were only human at the end of the day and allmake mistakes.... the flight was great.... went suprisingly quickly for just over a 10 hour flight!!!We also had our own private transfers to and from the hotel witch was nice!We were delayed 5 hours coming home, 4 of which we stayed on at our resort.... This was due to a fault with the planeback in the UK, and they had to get a replacement plane in...BOTHERED??? absolulty not!!! :-) We got to stay in Mexico for longer!!!!

HOTEL:
OMG what can I say RIU Palace Riviera Maya TOTALLY exceeded our expectations, talk about having the WOW factor when you walk in, I can honestly say it took our breath away. We new straight away we had chosen the best hotel to get married at, without a shadow of a doubt!!

We checked in no problem and asked about our "free" room upgrade which we got as part of our wedding package to whichwe were told yes we had been given... only to get to our room and no we hadnt, we were given the exact same room as our guests, so we went to query this, we were fobbed off with excuses and finally we were given another room (No' 1110), futher down from original room (no' 1134) with a view looking out onto the nice fountains instead of a few bushes and next doors hotel, the room looked exactly the same as the other but with a better view... this was OK though we accepted and were happy with what we got. We werent being awkward about it but wanted the upgraded room as stated in the wedding packege :-)
We were happy with the receptionist who saw to us and delt with our request.

THE GROUNDS:
The grounds were imaculate!! ALWAYS being tended to one way or another. They are so so clean and tidy, absolutly stunning to walk around, the place is just gorgeous...

BARS:
The Lobby bar was lovely and had a piano which had a live piano player in the evenings which was nice. and was nice to sit in in the day to, for a quick drink if your passing through. The lobby does have WI-FI if your waning it. This bar closes at midnight.

The pool bar was nice, we didnt use it much though as we are more beach people but this was a nice area, but VERY busy... this closes at 5pm.

There is the sports bar which was fab... 24 hours.... ask for a "Tequila Boom Boom" from Victor... Shots all around... we had some laughs in this bar, fantastic :-) They even have a self serve food (snacks) at the back of the bar including burgers, hotdogs, sandwiches, fruit. and a microwave to heat up the burgers etc and also tortillas with cheese sauce, M M Mmmmmmmmm :-) Great for when you have had one too many and just need food to soak it up!!!

RESTURANTS :
We ate at Chillis most days for lunch this opens at 12pm.. range of pizza, pastas, burgers, fruit, chicken, cheeses, chips etc etc this was good food but repetative.

For breakfast we ate everyday in the main buffet area, again good food but very repetative, we had bacon, hash brown, eggs etc, your typical English Breakfast but they did all sorts.... Fruits, Breads, Yoghurts......

For diner we ate in all the a la carte : We opted for the later seating of 8.45 each night except for 2 nights when we ate with friends who have baby and we opted for the earlier sitting of 6,30 but thats too early really for us to eat!!! Each resturant is definatly worth a visit, even if its just to say you've tried :-)

Chillis : Steak House : Was lovely but gets booked up very very quickly we managed to get in here once in two weeks, LOVELY :-)

Yashmina : Japanese : Was good if you like Japenese food, we tried it to try it, but didnt like it very much BUT a couple of our guests went 3 times as they found it to be gorgeous.

Bota Foga : Brazillian : Lovely only went here once on our wedding night... really good :-)

Mexican (cant remember name) : Was our favourite we went here a couple of times, really really good food.

Krystal : We ate here twice, lovely food, not keen on the tapas, but thats our opinion, worth the visit though.

BUFFET : Was good yes it was repetative but there was alwyas something for everyone :-) They had 3 nights a week where they have a themed night... our fave was the Asian... Samosas were beautiful.

STAFF:
Staff in the resort are fab... so so friendly and nice and would go out of their way to help you if you need it...always say hello and smile.... brilliant :-) We left our maid a tip every other day and on the last day we left her toiletries we didnt use, & flip flops i bought but never used :-) We tpped the bar staff as and when but we were never treated any different the times we didnt tip.... Same in the resturants and buffet.

BEACH:
GORGEOUS, the sea is just to die for, its SOOO warm :-) We headed for the beach every morning at 8/8.30am where we would spend the day... we are definatly definatly beach people and this beach suited us down to the ground not crowded, ALWAYS beds available. Lovely white soft sand. You can see right across to Cozumel from our little beach aswel. we walked along the beach to the left right up to the Pier where the boats dock what take you to Cozumel.... Its a Lovely walk, some gorgeous houses/villa/apts along the way... wish i had the money to buy!!!!
When you first walk into the sea there is a slight step down with shells etc so just be a wee bit careful walking in bare foot but this does not spoil the ocean one little bit.

WEDDING:
(US and 5 guests, my mum and dad, sis in law, bro in law, and their daughter)
The wedding itself was just out of this world, It was fantastic, definatly a day we will never evr forget. We woke up at 6.30am and went for breakfast at 7am. Didnt feel like our wedding day, was strange really, just felt like a normal day. Then hubby headed off for the beach to chill for the morn (alright for some) I met my SIL and we headed for the spa for our hair and make up. We were at the spa 2 hours so when we came out at 11am, then i thought what am i going to do for 2 hours....
so i went to the room on my own to have a drink and chill... it was nice really i was on my own for a good hour as id asked my mum to come to the room for 12 to help me get in my dress.
i just sat on the balcony with a drink taking it all in, was really nice for me actually, then there was a knock on the door... my mum, who helped me get into my dress then my BIL came to take some pix as he is quite a dab hand a photography and he captured some pix for me of my mum helping me do up my dress, etc.
The ceremony itself was fantastic.... Anyone getting married abroad would not be wrong in choosing this resort... The Wedding Co-ordinator was brilliant

We would definatly like to return to thr RPRM and we would recommend this resort to friends, family, and anyone who will listen really, we had the time of our lives and know 100% we couldnt have chosen a better resort to get married if we tried.

We would go back in a heart beat!!!

Happy Happy Holidays Everyone :-)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank nicyx
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

This hotel is fantastic. I travelled March 13 - 20 2012, during busy March break.
From our greeting at the front door, refreshing drink, guidance on getting a good room and assistance with luggage etc. Everything was first class. Not an issue all week.

Room was on outer side, shaded in the afternoon and close to beach, for easy access. 2nd floor around 1124 - 1118 are just right. Large clean room, great safe, dual sinks, lots hot water.

Staff deserve every tip you can afford to give. They all work hard and smile continuously trying to please. People were treated fairly whether tipping or not. Someone mentioned to take a hundred ones and I'd recomend this as no change made at front desk. Minimum wage somewhere around $5 bucks a day. Yes thats right. I slept great knowing I helped these folks who never complained or balked at any requiest.

Buffet was awesome. Lots of choices. Lots of seafood. Chillies was a superb steakhouse. Japanese was good, as was Chrystal.

Pool bar was staffed by 8 staff daily. Never a wait. Lots of servers around pool and beach. A buck at the the beach keeps you more than properly served. Bring a cooler mug.

Pool was large and never crowded. Very clean.

Lots of loungers at beach and pool. Lots of natural shade too from the palm canopy. To get front row you had to get out by eight. But it was not necessary to get up early to get a reasonable chair at pool or beach.

Shows were ok to. Lots dancing and singing by good musicians. Not over the top and not to long. Enjoyed the downtime relaxing at the show.

Social team worked hard, drumming up guests for games. Volleyball was great. Their spirit was genuine and made all kids and adults feel welcome at the events.

Overall a geat trip at a great resort with 5 star staff, food and facilities. You can't go wrong.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are not walk out, and have hot sun in the afternoon. I'd take outside rooms on 2...
9 Thank BandG03_11
stpaullori
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

We just returned from the RIU Riviera Maya Palace for spring break. We had five mothers and daughters, and it proved to be an excellent choice. The hotel is beautiful, the lobby spectacular, and the grounds immaculate. The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. A special thank-you to Edgar, we had a problem with our flight, the night before we were leaving, and even though he had just gotten off work, he went back behind the desk and time and effort trying to help us resolve the issue. I liked that this resort was a mix of young and old and people from all over. The food was good for an all- inclusive and the buffet is better then the specialty restaurants. I had always heard the wine was terrible at all-inclusives but they had a nice Chilean red Cabernet and Chardonnay. I loved that we could walk the beach into town and that it wasn't overwhelmingly big. The beach is gorgeous and even though it was sold out when we were there, you could always get chairs by the pool and beach. It's also a nice perk that you can go to any of the other RIU'S. All 10 of us agreed that it was the perfect place for a mother daughter spring break!!!

8 Thank loristpaul
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Don't worry about booking this resort, we have been twice and we are really fussy holiday makers. It is a beautiful resort, rooms and grounds are spotless, no bugs or mozzies. Super hot this time of year but not too humid in the evenings which is great. Bar service at the pool and in the evening in fantastic, shows are the usual offering, some really funny but nothing exceptional, we had more fun sat around the lobby bar chatting to people. Food is good both buffet and a la carte, I would give the Brazilian a steer, the worst of all of them. We noticed that since 3 years ago when we travelled last that the premium brand drinks have declined slightly, they still serve Absolout and Smirnoff Vodka but no longer Jack Daniels, only Jim Beam. We booked an upgraded jacuzzi suite as it was our wedding anniversary but dissapointingly when we arrived it wasn't available on our first night, we instead had a suite and he following night was moved to the correct room. If you want one of these rooms I can recommend room 2046 which has a great ocean view and that of the pool and courtyard. The hotel did some things to 'make it up to us', but to me they didn't really go out of their way, not even a note or anything in our room on our anniversary, shame. I think that is what lets this hotel down for me, is that they are catering for the masses and whilst everyone is very friendly they just don't get how to make it special and you feel like you are an individual, small touches could fix this. Also, the gym is useless, really needs updating, only one treadmill working the whole trip (2 weeks), the other squeaked very loudly and the rest of the gym equipment is old and clunky, not easy for my husband to lift weights. Also, we visited the other hotels, the Riviera Maya far outshines all of them, my only wish would be that the hotel would provide a little shuttle bus up and down the road to drop outside each hotel and finally to the end where you can go into Playa Del Carmen. Again, great hotel, great service but personalised service is definitely missing.

Room Tip: jacuzzi suite
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Charlotte A
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

After much debate, we decided on this hotel. We had been to one of its sister resorts (RIU Playacar) and had mixed reviews. We love the loction, so we thought we'd upgrade to a "5-star" to see if it was better. It was definitely better. The service and the cleanliness of the grounds was excellent! The staff was eager to please - from the front desk to the waiters that offered us drinks on the beach. The grounds are beautiful and immaculate. The rooms were OK. We had two - a standard jr. suite and a "superior" jr.suite. The only difference was the view from the balcony. One looked out over the central pools and gardens and the other had no view at all - just some grass and a privacy fence. If you don't plan to spend much time on your balcony, don't waste extra money on a superior suite. The location is great. It's a pleasant, safe, 15-20 minute walk into interesting Playa del Carmen. We had no concerns about safety at all - either on the resort or in town. The buffet food was very good. The restaurants were good also but don't expect 5-star meals. The wine is served out of a bottle which is a big step up from the casks at Playacar. It's not great quality but it's acceptable. I wish they'd offer more beer variety than the Dos Equis on tap. The pool is very nice. It's a little cramped and noisy with constant entertainment games poolside which for me was a little tiresome. The beach area is spectacular! There were lots of loungers and space either in the sun or under palm trees. You could be on the main beach or the private hotel beach area. The water is clear, beautiful colour with an extensive sandy bottom.

Room Tip: Our time was mostly spent outside so it didn't matter. The rooms with the better view tend to be...
3 Thank scbrown757
#53 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,597 reviews
18.6 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,340 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!