All reviews restaurant downstairs the hotel's restaurant quaint hotel mexican charm street noise hot water rooftop bar restaurants and shops beach towels fifth avenue ferry to cozumel minute walk to the beach the entire staff my favorite king bed carboncitos balcony
Reviewed January 3, 2018 via mobile

Hi
I stayed for my first time at Hotel Cielo just off 5th Avenue.
As a solo traveller I prefer to stay right on 5th Avenue to be right in the heart and soul of Playa Del Carmen. I have stayed on 5th Avenue about 8 times since 2014 and generally stay on the northern end of Playa but still on 5th Avenue. I booked in October at Cielo which is the far south end of 5th Avenue and received a sale rate which made it very attractive time for the location . I would like to comment that my stay was very enjoyable and a big reason I stayed here was the restaurant in the hotel call Carboncitos has an excellent breakfast lunch and dinner , that I always go to when staying in Playa.
The room I had booked was with a king size bed , 2nd floor and everything was good. I did wish my room had a mini fridge, but they do not provide with there rooms. That was my only comment that was not obtainable . the safe in my room was a good size brand new adequate size and made me feel secure having my iPad cell phone passport visa Cards locked away. Not all Boutique hotels in Playa have a great in room safe.
The cleaning staff very nice and did a great job and I never worried about them. The whole place felt super secure and made me feel at home
Wifi was not always super inside my room , concrete seems to interfere with wifi but adequate to use, if I wanted to download a large iTunes movie file I would sit in the a hallway next to my room or go into the restaurant which had real good wifi
The hotel is run by a very pleasant couple and though I forget Steve’s the owners wifes name she was always very pleasant when I would pass the front desk. The hotel is in a great location of fifth to access Walmart, shopping , ADO bus depot 2 blocks away. And the ferry to Cozumel. OXXO is a block away on 10th Avenue. I had never used ADO bus from the Cancun airport to a hotel but after using it found it to be the the cheapest ride from the airport I ever took in all of my 8 trips to Playa. for 10-12 bucks US (178 pesos) you cannot beat that and I only had to walk a 2 min walk with my luggage to the hotel. I have to say after being at Hotel Cielo for 10 Nites I found my self eating at the hotel restaurant a lot more as everything there was great. The restaurant sure brings in the people

At night I felt very safe on 5th and 10th Avenue in this area and was glad I stayed on the ferry end of Playa this trip.

They did give me a 50% off deal every morning to eat the breakfast at the hotel restaurant which for me was a great deal as I love there breakfast. The photos on trip advisor from others tell it all

All the staff at the hotel and restaurant were great and it appears that Steve treats his staff very well as they have been there for a long time. One of the waiters when asked told me Steve is a great Boss (El Jeffe). LOL

I’m just waiting to get back to Playa in 2018, I did go to Playa 4 times in 2017 and am addicted to this great town. Overall Playa is safe , great food, nice people and I have never left disappointed at any of my stays in small boutique hotels.

Playa really does it all for me and a great safe Mexican destination

Cheers From Canada
Steve and spouse you run a very nice hotel and restaurant , thanks for the great stay
Dean

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
5  Thank Dean N
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2018

We truly appreciate the time and dedication you took to write this review. This review is special because it was so detailed. It is important for people to know that when traveling alone, the can feel safe here with us. You touched on many points that get ignored like the wifi and the safes. We know that you have a busy life so to write this for us means a lot.

We hope to see you more often in your travels to Playa del Carmen. You will always have a home here with us.

Reviewed January 2, 2018

Really nice staff, clean rooms and bathrooms. It is right near the beach, but without any parking. With recommendations from the staff, though, we were able to find affordable parking nearby. This area of Playa del Carmen is very touristy, but if you are looking for a great place to stay right in the middle of it all, this is your place!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank matwhoo
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2018

Thank you for the time and courtesy of writing this review for us. There are many options of hotels here in Playa del Carmen so each review is very important for us. We truly are happy that you were able to stay with us and that it was a good experience for you. Thank you for recommending us to your Trip Advisor peers. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 1, 2018 via mobile

Great location, 1 min walk to the beach, rooms were clean, staff could not be any nicer!!
It was our daughters bday and we asked at the front desk for a place to buy a b-day cake. Not only did they recommend a place but they offered to decorate the room while we were out. They did a great job!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Pattycake1981
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2018

Thank you for the time in writing this review. We are so pleased you had such a great experience with us and for your daughter's birthday! Every review we can learn from since there are so many options for you to choose from in Playa del Carmen. We thank you for choosing us and for writing this for your fellow TripAdvisor members to see. We hope to see you and your family again soon for a special event or not!

Reviewed December 26, 2017 via mobile

6 years later, I came back to Hotel Cielo. Last time I was here was with my friends, this time I spent 8 magical days with my fiancee. I can't believe how much this hotel has improved! While Playa del Carmen has grown and changed, going from a secret getaway to a vacation hotspot, Hotel Cielo has managed to retain the spirit of this beautiful Mexican beach town. Situated in a prime location, this hotel greets you with a classic Mexican charm, which seems to be lost in some of the surrounding hotels. The concierge holds the key to enjoying Playa del Carmen, with recommendations on activities and things to do in the area, catered to what we were interested. The owners provide a hand selected list of the restaurants in the area they frequent (Even if the hotel's restaurant provides some of the best drinks and food in the area). One of our most romantic evenings was spent on the roof of the hotel, underneath a beautiful night sky, with just enough separation from the streets below to be in our own little bubble. I want to thank Steven once again for all the work he has put into this gem of a hotel, both in the physical structure and the hospitality and knowledge of its employees. I have nothing bad to say about any of the employees or facilities. I can't wait to see how much more this hotel can improve. My only regret is not staying longer, something I look forward to fixing next time I come back!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank thegreatmoo90
HotelCielo, Propietario at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2017

WOW! What a great review! This one stands out because you have been with us before and see the difference in how Playa has evolved over the years. We are so glad you thought to come back to us. Thank you for the time you took to write this review. It is a powerful one and we thank you for these kind words. We are so happy we could give you another great experience and we hope that you will come back for many more!

Reviewed December 18, 2017 via mobile

This hotel has been my favorite so far. It is quiet and I love the decor. The restaurant down stairs in amazing. You are 1.5 blocks from the ocean and a few steps away from Main Street. Lots of things to do and see. Staff was great, polite and welcoming. It is very clean and maintained. Wifi was great and it cable tv and AC. Everything you could ask for at a great price. And two ice cream shops on the corner! We will be back!

Stayed: December 2017
2  Thank Kelsey K
HotelCielo, Propietario at Hotel Cielo, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2017

Thank you so much! This review is very important to us with the details that you included. Thank you for taking the time to write this to let your TripAdvisor peers know about us! Each review is very important to us. We are so glad to be called your favorite!