Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
US$587
US$495
US$365
Bookit.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$423
US$269
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Petit Lafitte(Playa del Carmen)
US$168
US$848
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,342
US$703
Bookit.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$567
US$297
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,125
US$805
US$185
Cancelon
6,130 results
All reviewsrodeo grillbruschettayucatan buffetmain poolsports parkfoam partytao restaurantaroma restaurantswim up roomroom servicedouble showerplaza barfire showwater shoescasino nightsun all daya la carte restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This was my first time in mexico. I went with my brother and the resort was his choice. Usually i head to cuba so i was excited to see what mexico was like. Yucatan was very nice. Its a spread out resort but after a day, you figure out your way around. It isnt as lively as i am used to but it was nice to relax and if you really want a fun time at night you can go to the resort next door via golf cart ride. Was really simple. The one pool was way more lively. We loved it there and met tons of nice people. The beach, had tons of seaweed but the view was gorgeous and the loungers were great. There was always space. The snack bar there was good too for a snack. Our favorite bartender/ server was humberto! He was the best!!! Find him at the beach bar or at one of the restaurants at night. He remembered our names and drinks right away and was so fun. Thanks humberto for being such a cool dude and making me the best caesars ever. All in all, it was a really nice vacation. I lost my phone and wallet the first night ( not used to carrying them without my purse) and both were returned to front desk with nothing missing. Fabulous. I would recommend this place to anyone!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We celebrated both a birthday and an anniversary here and the personal touches they did, such as making us cakes etc made the day special. Food here was wonderful although we ate at the restaurants more than the buffet

Some things to note, la fondue does a wicked lobster fondue that is worth the price, the foam party is Saturday and a must attend, try and get a swim out room in building 3 if you like to be where the action is, and TRY all the restaurants! Lobster buffet is Thursday’s and worth it and Aroma, skylight and rodeo are fantastic restaurants!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

PYP was nice and relatively quite. The staff that we encountered were friendly and helpful.
Our room was clean, and in a quite part of the resort which we were looking for and appreciated. A little bit worn in places, and the a/c was finicky at times, which made certain times at night humid and stuffy. The door is not a thick as we would have liked as you can too clearly hear the conversations of people walking past. Other than that relatively comfy.

It all depends on what you are looking for. This seems like a resort catering to an older crowd 50+ The few younger groups that we encountered, would hang mostly at the main pool where there was more of lively feel, with music and constant activities.
So not a party resort, but also not a spa resort.

The beach is as many has already explains, lots of seaweed, but you don't have to walk far to be able to go into the water. I actually appreciated how the beach strip is less crowded than the sister areas, the lounge beds are not all squeezed together. I you want a bit more quite then walk to the far left side, It's further from the water entrance, but great for quiet sun soaking and a little bit higher so the waft of smell dissipates faster.

The food was best at the buffet. The mexican fare, stewed meats, that was always available was the better choices. Highlight was the suckling pig one night.
We went to two other restaurants, the first night and the last night and we were disappointed. The international fare although was pretty was all that it was. It wasn't bad, but nothing special. The tex/mex was super disappointing. The grilled meats at the buffet were better executed.
With had higher expectations from a 4star rated resort, in terms of choice, quality and execution. Service was fine, choices of restaurants seemed a bit complacent and box checking. Instant coffee is what you get unless otherwise specified.

The grounds itself were clean, but it's all in the details. One of the stalls in the women's bathroom by the tex/mex resto had plaster all over, that had fallen off the wall and ceiling.
The restaurants have a cafeteria acoustics and feel despite their efforts in decorating. The two pools, are quite small for the amount of people, so they feel crowded and the chairs get 'saved' super early. I suppose this makes the swim ups popular, and it seems they have quite a few available.

The sports park is funny. Staff was nice. Not so sure how much it gets used, it feels again like checking a box to be able to say they offer this, but it doesn't feel super well invested in actually making it a feature.

All in all a simple clean quiet place, friendly staff. I think it's a super 3-3.5 star place. It looks good, has limited services, activities and grounds, and conveinient location to airport and Playa del Carmen.

Room Tip: swim up room if you want to swim and not have to wake up early so have a lounger by the pool.
8  Thank Angie C
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

So we stayed at the sister resort (Riviera Princess) in November 2017. We really enjoyed that trip, so decided to try the adults only this year around. We were pretty disappointed in the adults only side. This review may seem like a bit of a comparison between the two, but I would recommend (if you are OK with the kiddies) to stay on the sunset or riviera side. If we didn't have access to the sister resorts, it would have been a very unsuccessful trip. We booked platinum BOTH times (but did not get a swim-up room, as we didn't feel we needed it). I always take reviews with a grain of salt, but I was seriously disappointed in the quality of this hotel (considering the sister resort was so nice!)

THE PLATINUM EXPERIENCE:

On the sister resorts, the platinum upgrade got you a number of 'perks' and made it feel worth the extra money. These included early reservations at the restaurants, free room service (non-platinum had to pay for this), a private beach, a private lobby, a private bar and a private pool, and a jacuzzi tub on the balcony. At the PYP, the platinum got you absolutely nothing except a "larger" room service menu (there were actually 6 things on it) and a different room location as well as premium liquor (but please see below for the issues we had with this).

THE GROUNDS:

We fell in love with the lobby of the PYP. It is really beautiful. It has a different feeling (more concrete, statutes, open) than the sister resorts. The sister reports had a bit more of a natural feel (i.e., palm trees, statues, flowers etc.). Regardless, both were maintained well.

THE ROOM:

The stye of the PYP resort was much more modern than the sister resorts, but the functionality was not as good. The hot water was seriously lacking - it got luke warm at best unless you were willing to shower at 2 am. The bathtub was in the middle of the room with no privacy screens (and FYI... anyone in the swim out or first floor... we can all see directly into your rooms). The shower also leaked on the floor (there was no guard rail to contain the water) so we went through about 6 towels a shower just trying to contain the flood that was on the floor. The good side was the double waterfall shower. The patio furniture was super uncomfortable and there wasn't a full length mirror. ALSO, there IS NOT a fan in this room and the air conditioning does not go below 22 degrees! It was TOO hot! Besides the swanky design of the room and the shower, this room was not that great.

THE FOOD:

We ended up at the sister resort for food most of the time (sports bar paninis were amazing!). We tried la bruschetta the first night, and we were brought the wrong main dish. We ordered bruschetta for an app, and it was soaking in olive oil. The buffet at this whole hotel chain isn't great; there is quite a bit of selection but its usually soggy and cold - as expected I guess. Now, our last night we decided to try the Rodeo grill..... First, they told us it was a 45 minute wait (on a restaurant at less than 50% capacity). We waited 30 minutes, and in that time I watched the waitress let in 3 parties (two couples, and one party of 5) onto the bird cages. I understand that they pay for this service - but they could have let us sit at an empty table because it clearly wasn't so busy that they couldn't let others in. Next, we were presented with our apps and about 30 seconds later the waiter came back and said "sorry!" and took them away and put them on another couple's table (thankfully we hadn't touched them, but still, yuck!). Next, our apps came. I had ordered a tomato salad and I received tortillas with cheese (one piece of tomato) and pork rinds. My partner ordered cheese fondue with sausage and a greasy mess of meat and what used to be cheese arrived. I asked the waiter if he messed up my order (I could clearly see the dish I had received listed on the menu). He wouldn't correct his mistake. I told him that I didn't eat pork and he replied with "are you sure?" and I said just bring something else - to which he brought the same PORK fondue that my partner had. He, instead, offered us tequila shots. Next, I had ordered steak tenderloin and my partner ordered rib eye. I received rib eye, and my partner received flank steak covered in large crystal salt. This was an unbelievably disappointing meal.

*Also please note that we walked by carts of dairy products and juices sitting in the sun with no one in sight in a cart. No clue how long they were there - and I didn't want to know!

Overall, it's an average resort. Decent for the price, but I would opt to stay at the sister resort instead of this one. Keep in mind, the Villa Suites on the sister resorts are also adults only.

Oh, and question: we saw a girl (around the age of 12-13) walking around in the adults only section, wearing the adults only bracelet. Not that she was a bother, but that was so confusing!

Room Tip: Booking a swim-out allows the entire resort to see you take a bath.
1  Thank Katharine C
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I just returned from Yucatan, spent a week there. We found the buffet well stocked, just about anything you wanted to eat. If you did not want the buffet, you could eat at some of the other restaurants on the resort, all good. Lots of action and games at the main pool, foam party was hilarious and fun. If you want to relax, there are plenty of rectangle pools around the resort where it is quiet or there is also a quiet pool with a swim up bar. Pick what you want . . .
Housekeeping was wonderful, they came twice a day, fresh towels, clean linens, etc
We found all the staff very courteous and hard working, they never stop.
Our only complaint was the smell at the beach, and after talking to the Lifeguard he explained it was because of the enormous amounts of seaweed washed up on shore and the Red Mangrove tree area, where the water pools and creates a smell. Unfortunately, the beach area is not the best, but we knew that before booking.
There are plenty of things to do, yoga, pilates, paddle boarding, rifle shooting, tennis, golf (3 clubs, short hits), ping pong, gym, spa.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the noise, get a room by the party pool but if you prefer quiet time, stay away from this area.
2  Thank Patti P