Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$494
US$359
  • Beachfront
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
Free cancellation until 25/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$331
US$250
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$359
US$228
Hotels.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$385
US$338
US$508
US$427
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$655
US$557
Hotels.com
Free cancellation until 29/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$973
US$426
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)
US$504
US$320
Priceline
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$424
US$342
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,042
US$844
Bookit.com
All reviewsshared kitchenoutdoor kitchenlocation is amazingado stationbeach entrancedouble bedconvenient locationshort walkrooms are nicehostelfabianhammocksavesandstovepesosrefrigerator
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I've usually stayed in all-inclusives but I wanted something more interesting, and this met all my expectations. For $25/person/night for a private room and private bathroom, it's amazing. It's very clean, cleaned every day, lots of room, a safe in the office, and is right by the beach and steps from the best bars. Of course there could have been a few clothes racks of some kind - no place to hang anything to dry! And the breakfast is fine - some fruit, cereal, and eggs (sometimes with meat so vegetarians don't have too much to choose from). You can also order something else from their cafe, like espresso and fresh orange juice. It's not too loud, only at night when people are coming home, but if you close the windows you don't hear much. Free wifi is a big plus. Overall we were very happy. The location is definitely the best part.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2011

We stayed in one of the cabanas, which was cute but the thatch roof meant that it was impossible to keep the mosquitoes out (although a net is provided). The rooms were pretty clean, but our en-suite bathroom was really in need of a more thorough clean when we stayed. Also, the lack of any shelf or pegs was rather frustrating so I would advise bringing your own alternatives. Other than that, the staff were fairly helpful and the place was quiet. Breakfast is included, but do note that even though the restaurant is open before 7am, the free breakfast isn't available until 8am.... not helpful if you want an early start!

Having said that, the hotel is just a couple of metres from the beach and 5 Avenida, which makes this an excellent place to stay and it is probably one of the most reasonable priced places near the beach in the whole town.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2010

I'm already planning my next trip!

This was such a great hidden spot, that is such a great value. I stayed with a friend in a Cabaña Tapanco, and it was such a fun surprise to find out that the our place had two rooms, and one you had to take a ladder to get to! It was like our own grown-up treehouse hotel! We had our own bathroom and shower that the staff cleaned every day.

The location I can't rave about more. Popol Vuh is literally steps away from the beach. Bad Boys Restaurant and Bar is right next door, which was such a fun bonus. It was days on the beach, and nights at Bad Boys.

If you want to truly experience Mexico, and you enjoy lots of beach time, good drinks, and fun nights, Popol Vuh is the spot for you.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed December 21, 2010

My husband and I have been married for 8 years. It has been our goal to take a tropical vacation before our 10 th year anniversary. Our friends Summer and Toby invited us to their wedding in Mexico. Well we couldn't pass that opportunity of a life time.
During our visit we stayed with 24 friends for 5 nights at Popol Vuh and two nights in Akumal for the wedding. Akumal was great for the wedding, but we were ready for our last night hoorah back to Popol Vuh.
What can I say it was a trip of a lifetime, you are steps away from the beach, you can take a romantic walk on the ocean and return to their fabulous B&B from 8 -10am. Head to the beach for fun in the sun with Bad Boys just around the corner with excellent pina coladas, margaritas, mojitos, quesidillas, fish tacos etc,. You feel safe & secure, all while experiencing Playa delCarmen w/o the white collar resort. While you are there make sure to visit Manuella's Taco's stand across from Paya Mart and for 80 pesos you get teo Taco's or a Torta. Grab a walking beer for 250 pesos, run to Playa Mart and buy your liquor, enjoy your friends at Popol Vuh....

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2010

Popol Vuh made my trip wonderful. Alex is very accomodating. The beds were PHENOMENAL. I didn't expect a hostel to be so nice. I want everyone who goes to Playa del Carmen to stay at Popol Vuh. Great for children also.

Stayed: December 2010