“Muchisimas gracias Popol Vuh for making our trip to Playa an unforgetable experience.”
Review of Popol Vuh

Popol Vuh
Ranked #134 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Our experience at Popol Vuh was awesome! Our intention for our stay at Popol Vuh was one of community, comradeship, and laid back( literally in hammocks) kind of atmosphere and Popol Vuh was all of this and more. The staff were exceptional, friendly, and helpful in anyway that w, e needed, especially Gama. We loved the relaxed ambiance, the festive and happy attitude of the other patrons. The breakfast was tasty and substantial. I especially loved the chilaquiles and other local Mexican breakfast fair. Traveling with my 2 daughters 14 yrs. and 7yrs., Popol Vuh was extremely relaxing for me and my daughters and the feeling was one of relief and safety. The cabanas were pleasant and comfortable especially the one with a loft. I will recommend to all my friends and family who are traveling to Playa to stay at Popol Vuh. Rebecca Borrego, Taos, New Mexico USA.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Popol Vuh

Reviewed 16 March 2011

I've usually stayed in all-inclusives but I wanted something more interesting, and this met all my expectations. For $25/person/night for a private room and private bathroom, it's amazing. It's very clean, cleaned every day, lots of room, a safe in the office, and is right by the beach and steps from the best bars. Of course there could have been a few clothes racks of some kind - no place to hang anything to dry! And the breakfast is fine - some fruit, cereal, and eggs (sometimes with meat so vegetarians don't have too much to choose from). You can also order something else from their cafe, like espresso and fresh orange juice. It's not too loud, only at night when people are coming home, but if you close the windows you don't hear much. Free wifi is a big plus. Overall we were very happy. The location is definitely the best part.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2011

We stayed in one of the cabanas, which was cute but the thatch roof meant that it was impossible to keep the mosquitoes out (although a net is provided). The rooms were pretty clean, but our en-suite bathroom was really in need of a more thorough clean when we stayed. Also, the lack of any shelf or pegs was rather frustrating so I would advise bringing your own alternatives. Other than that, the staff were fairly helpful and the place was quiet. Breakfast is included, but do note that even though the restaurant is open before 7am, the free breakfast isn't available until 8am.... not helpful if you want an early start!

Having said that, the hotel is just a couple of metres from the beach and 5 Avenida, which makes this an excellent place to stay and it is probably one of the most reasonable priced places near the beach in the whole town.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2010

I'm already planning my next trip!

This was such a great hidden spot, that is such a great value. I stayed with a friend in a Cabaña Tapanco, and it was such a fun surprise to find out that the our place had two rooms, and one you had to take a ladder to get to! It was like our own grown-up treehouse hotel! We had our own bathroom and shower that the staff cleaned every day.

The location I can't rave about more. Popol Vuh is literally steps away from the beach. Bad Boys Restaurant and Bar is right next door, which was such a fun bonus. It was days on the beach, and nights at Bad Boys.

If you want to truly experience Mexico, and you enjoy lots of beach time, good drinks, and fun nights, Popol Vuh is the spot for you.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 December 2010

My husband and I have been married for 8 years. It has been our goal to take a tropical vacation before our 10 th year anniversary. Our friends Summer and Toby invited us to their wedding in Mexico. Well we couldn't pass that opportunity of a life time.
During our visit we stayed with 24 friends for 5 nights at Popol Vuh and two nights in Akumal for the wedding. Akumal was great for the wedding, but we were ready for our last night hoorah back to Popol Vuh.
What can I say it was a trip of a lifetime, you are steps away from the beach, you can take a romantic walk on the ocean and return to their fabulous B&B from 8 -10am. Head to the beach for fun in the sun with Bad Boys just around the corner with excellent pina coladas, margaritas, mojitos, quesidillas, fish tacos etc,. You feel safe & secure, all while experiencing Playa delCarmen w/o the white collar resort. While you are there make sure to visit Manuella's Taco's stand across from Paya Mart and for 80 pesos you get teo Taco's or a Torta. Grab a walking beer for 250 pesos, run to Playa Mart and buy your liquor, enjoy your friends at Popol Vuh....

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2010

Popol Vuh made my trip wonderful. Alex is very accomodating. The beds were PHENOMENAL. I didn't expect a hostel to be so nice. I want everyone who goes to Playa del Carmen to stay at Popol Vuh. Great for children also.

Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank Khollins2
Reviewed 15 November 2010

This was my 3rd stay at Popol Vuh and every time it keeps getting better! My Mother and I were in MX planning my wedding. Next month we will be having 24 of our wedding guest staying there and I am confident they will get the same service and experience we have in the past. I told all of them (many of whom are not frequent travelers) if they were expecting a hotel, they may be disappointed, but if they think of camping it will be 5 STAR camping and they will have an amazing trip and an amazing adventure! Since the many improvements that have been made at this B&B it it's even better than 5 STAR camping!

The breakfast at the new popol-vuh restaurant is very good, especially considering it's included with the low nightly rates. The location could not be better, it is STEPS from the beach, the bus and the fun of 5th Avenue. The rooms are very clean and we have had the fortune of never having any bugs, but there are mosquito nets if needed. Alex and his staff are friendly and accommodating, couldn't ask for better! In the evening, if you are not joining in the fun in the garden, you can easily drown out the noise with the electric fans in each room.

During my stays there I have seen travelers alone in their room, playing guitar, seeking solitude-solo travelers meeting others and enjoying the company of new friends-and (my favorite) groups of friends traveling together enjoying the feel of having your "own place" in Mexico. I am so very excited to go back and have all of my friends experience this (non tourist ridden, NON resort) experience in Mexico!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends