“Incredible stay at Popol Vuh hostel”
Review of Popol Vuh

Popol Vuh
Ranked #134 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I was fortunate enough to stay at the Popol vuh hostel during my stay in playa del carmen and enjoyed myself more than ever thanks to the manager Gama Valdez who was a true friend as well as guide to all the nightlife as well as picture perfect beaches.I will definetly be going back there and would recommend the hostel to everybody.The prices are good and the location is even better.The atmosphere is friendly .all you could ever want away from home.Good going guys hope to see you again soon..Heyman

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Popol Vuh

Reviewed 8 July 2011

I was traveling alone and a little nervous when I got into Playa. I walked into B&B Popol Vuh and was immediately greeted by the manager Gama. He showed me around and introduced me the other guests. Over the four days I was there, all of the guests became close friends exchanging travel stories over beers and tequila. This place is HIGHLY recommended! Gama was not just someone who worked there but immediately a friend of ours, he made my entire trip extremely memorable. I will for sure be back!

Room Tip: Any room is great! Even the shared bathroom ones are awesome!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ChristinaVH
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Was a brilliant stay. Was welcomed warmly by the manager who was really kind in showing us good bars and organising tours for us. Very friendly, not many people there but the ones that were were lovely. Excellent location, right on the beach. Runs parallel to the main strip of shops and restaurants. A bit touristy but the location is great and the beach is beautiful. Short walk from the main bus station. Very clean dorms. A/c made for a comfortable nights sleep. Good communal area and great bbq which we used almost every night. Windows are paper thin so hope for other quiet guests. Only negativity was a cool shower, I may have been turning the wrong tap though!! Breakfast is served across the path, simple breakfast but sufficient for anyone. On the pricier end of the hostel/B&B's but well worth it for the location.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Booked 3 nights and after spending the first night had to leave because there were people loud people, including the manager, talking and laughing at 4.30 am and for a loooong time. This is unacceptable! I was reimbursed the other 2 nights but I think I should not have paid for a night o couldnt sleep.
This was the worst place i have stayed ever and the only one I had to leave earlier then supposed not only because of the noise but also due to the temperature in the room, like a sauna. I have stayed in several hostels and never had such problems. Sometimes people make noise because they have to leave or are just arriving but that was not the case. They were just partying with no respect for the ones sleeping.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 April 2011

We booked this accomodation based on its location and reviews read here on TA and we were NOT dissapointed. We had a wonderful 7 day stay and cant wait to return. As stated by another review, this is not a 5star resort....think more like rustic cabin living. Exactly the kind of vaction I needed. Clean, comfortable and a great value! The location is amazing. Steps to the beach (your feet NEVER have to leave the sand), right next door to Bad Boys (fabulous beach bar with awesome smoked ribs and live music on weekends), less than a block away from 5th Ave (were all the action is) yet it is surprisingly peaceful and ralxing :) We LOVED an afternoon siesta in the hammocks. The free breakfast was good, though everyday it was the same-ish; Self-serve, orange drink, coffee, cold cereals, fresh friut, toast, and a hot egg dish that varied form day to day and sometimes included meat (one day it was wieners w/scrambled eggs. lol) The server was very friendly and you can order off a menu (though we didnt) and those meals did look good. After day 5 we were ready to go elsewhere for breakfast though. The best part about our stay was the people. The only real complaint that we had about the place was relating to the bathroom in our room. It is in need of some serious repair, but is still clean and functioning. The best part about our stay was the people! The B&B is also a hostel and we had the pleasure of meeting great people from all over the world. Our fave was our host (and new friend) Gama. He is very nice and friendly and really goes out of his way to make sure that everyone is enjoying thier stay. He may even take you out for a night on the town :) We miss you Gama

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank catkevb
Reviewed 10 April 2011

I was nervous about staying in a hostel - something I haven't done in a couple of decades! - but after the expense of Tulum we wanted somewhere cheap and cheerful and were quite prepared to 'put up with' something as long as the place was secure. We didn't have to 'put up with' anything! We chose a private room with a bathroom and it was absoluley perfect - the bed was very comfortable, there was sufficient room to put all your things away, the air con and fan were the best we found in Mexico (we stayed in four hotels), the staff were lovely and everything was really clean. The location is amazing as you walk down the side of the hostel and you are on the beach - right next to Bad Boys. On Saturday night it was a bit noisy as they were having a BBQ but quite frankly that's why most people go to a hostel - to meet and interact with other people. However, Playa is a very noisy place and apart from Saturday night we couldn't believe how quiet the hostel was. We were delighted we chose it. You are less than a minute from both the beach and 5th avenue, five minutes to the main bus station and a couple more to the ferry for Cozumel. The breakfast wasn't great but as were diving at 8am every day we only ate the breakfast once. Excellent value.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CatherineandCraig
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Our experience at Popol Vuh was awesome! Our intention for our stay at Popol Vuh was one of community, comradeship, and laid back( literally in hammocks) kind of atmosphere and Popol Vuh was all of this and more. The staff were exceptional, friendly, and helpful in anyway that w, e needed, especially Gama. We loved the relaxed ambiance, the festive and happy attitude of the other patrons. The breakfast was tasty and substantial. I especially loved the chilaquiles and other local Mexican breakfast fair. Traveling with my 2 daughters 14 yrs. and 7yrs., Popol Vuh was extremely relaxing for me and my daughters and the feeling was one of relief and safety. The cabanas were pleasant and comfortable especially the one with a loft. I will recommend to all my friends and family who are traveling to Playa to stay at Popol Vuh. Rebecca Borrego, Taos, New Mexico USA.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family