Was there with family of 5, third week of Feb. I will try to put my thots down here. I spent alot of money and the experience was average. After a long flight, 1 1/2 hours in line at customs and guess who pressed the button and got the red light. Yeh the whole family had our bags searched. 'Welcome to Mexico' the military officer said. tried to make it to the bus shuttle but was pulled aside by 'time share sharks' who just wasted our time. Finally on the bus the guide breaks out the beer, the crowd begins to loosen up and becomes louder, i worry alittle for the small children on the bus. There were some very small children on the bus.
Got to BB resort and was greeted by a very nice refreshing drink. Then proceeded to rooms. Room info requested and indicated side by side rooms for our children. This was not the case, had to be changed last minute and the rooms were not ready. Finally settled in rooms ( the childrens room was a smoking room :() everyone showered and we went looking for food found buffiet open. Got to the door and was turned away by big "Bubba" at the door. My son was wearing a trousers and shoes but had a tank top shirt.(must be short sleaves). I didnt realize that this was formal dining. Feeling tired, grumpy, hungry, I ran back to the room with my son so he could change,( you should know that the resort is 10 minute walk from one end to the other), came back to find my wife and family sitting outside on the concrete wall, they had not been seated, that made me mad. Wow not a very good start.
The room quality was not that great. only a step above your Best Western Motel. 85% of rooms have no ocean view. Rooms were clean and beds comfortable.
The dinner shows were good but food was average or less than average. Couldn't find a taco or an anchillatas anywhere and we looked. Went to the Mexican dinner one night and dont recommend it. Had to bribe the hostess with a couple pesos after i watched 5 - 6 groups come in after us and be seated a head of us, although it was half empty and lots of room. I showed the pesos and was immediately shown a table. :(
Many of the day tours depart at 7:00 am. Try to find something to eat at that time of day. The 24 hour sports bar has just a few stale pastries on a platter and everyone stands around like a bunch of vulchers snatching up allittle bit of nourishment before the day ahead. Really, couldnt they just open one of the resturants at 6:00 and take care of thier clients?
Another suggestion... couldnt they put rubber tires on the maid cleaning carts. The carts have have hard wheels and make a lot of noise as they push them up and down the halls with concrete floors, you cant sleep in. The bell boys, two mornings in a week, got the wrong room # and were ready to usher our suite cases out as we were trying to sleep in.
The beach is what everyone else is saying, only two days out of seven did i see anyone in the water by the beach. the workers work hard to keep it up. Check out the lagoon 5 minutes walk north, this is beautiful.
The french restuarant was amazing and very top notch. The steak house was only good. We didnt have the chance to go to the Italian but i heard good reviews. All the rest are average.
My family went to the Michael Jackson show, this was very good.
Also Transat traveler's beware... There are long line ups at the counter if you want to book a tour. Sometimes they are not there during the hours posted and sometimes there is simply not enough staff. Not sure what the problem is but maybe they will read this and sort it out. There were alot of exasperated clients waiting for long peroids of time, I waited 1 1/2 - 2 hours to book our tours.
I would not return. My best advice is to get drunk so all that i just wrote will be a foggy memory. Im really not a grumpy person just honest.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located in an area of 445 acres in a prime position on the beach on the Riviera Maya, BlueBay Grand Esmeralda combines elegant Mayan features with contemporary design and a wide range of service to suit the most discerning traveller. BlueBay Grand Esmeralda provides a relaxed atmosphere for holiday makers. The hotel features 979 elegant and well-appointed rooms and suites with the option of a sea or garden view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity.ca and Booking.com so you can book your BlueBay Grand Esmeralda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Bay Esmeralda
- Bluebay Grand Esmeralda Hotel
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Riviera Maya
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Mayan Riviera
- Grand Esmeralda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Resort
- Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda Beach Resort Spa
- Blue Bay Esmerelda
- BlueBay Grand Esmeralda Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico