New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #91 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
St. Charles
“had a good time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

Went to Bluebay June 2011, had a really good time. The room was comfortable and spacious, the grounds are beautiful with plenty of restaurants with good food and great service. I think having free internet in most of the common areas is a plus, I used my skype from the sports bar to communicate with freinds and family. There's no nightlife except the beach bar and sports bar, but no clubs. I highly recommend this resort if you want to relax.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,791)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Nova Scotia, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I'm sitting here stunned at the glowing reviews for this resort...we were with a party of 30 and we ALL had complaints, mostly about the rudeness of the staff and the unwilling to accommodate you for ANYTHING! It was just a rotten bunch of people ( with the exception of the two bar keeps at the beach bar behind the steak house - Willy and Cecile )

Just terrible....so bad, at one point, my wife was almost in tears at the rudeness two staff gave her.

Room Tip: Go to a different resort.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank DamienKage01
Erie, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I was so scared reading all the bad reviews but this place exceeded my expectations! From the moment we checked in til the moment we checked out everything was perfect! I have never seen such a friendly staff. They said "hola" to you every time you walked past and really made you feel welcome. Our room was farthest from the beach but closest to the smaller pool and it was perfect. It was cleaned every day and our fridge re-stocked. We never had a problem getting reservations and we ate at the steak house twice because the food was so good! People that say that the staff isn't accomodating must not be tipping because we tipped generously and were given top-shelf liquor and excellent service.
I had read reviews about getting a chair by the pool and how they're all taken so early so the first morning I woke up bright and early at 7am and got my towel and dragged my husband down there to get a chair... the chairs were NEVER all taken! The was the only day we did that! Every other day we got chairs IN the water and didn't go down til 8:30-9am. Even in the middle of the day we could walk up to the pool and get a good chair!
Someone people complained on here about the smell - if you're going over any of the bridges there is an odor but nothing that you can't deal with for the 10 seconds it takes you to walk over the bridge. And it's not just at this resort - I also smelled it at Xel-Ha. You're in the jungle - there's going to be some smells.
I also read people complaining about the pools being dirty - if they're dirty it is only because trashy people are throwing garbage or cigarettes in the pool and the staff can't get them cleaned out fast enough. One guy spent the entire day cleaning the pool from different angles. If people weren't lazy and would get up to throw things away the pools would be spotless. I don't blame the resort - I blame the people.
I can't say enough good things about this resort - This was the 3rd all-inclusive I've stayed in (Bahamas, San Juan, and here) and I've been on 3 Carnival Cruises and the service at BlueBay Grand Esmeralda far excceded any other vacation I've ever been on!

Room Tip: Our room was farther away from the beach but right in front of the smaller pool. It was nice being...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank carriegrack
Harrisonburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed at BBGE from April 21- 25th as a group of 9 adults. We changed to this resort at the last minute and only had time to read a few reviews. After the couple of reviews that I read I was afraid I had made a mistake in changing resorts but this was not the case. I must say that we have stayed in the top resorts in Cancun and Riviera Maya so are a little spoiled. This trip was with a group of friends with varying budgets and suited us all well. I will not repeat all that has been said over and over instead I will touch on the things that I was concerned with after reading reviews.
Beach… This was a pleasant surprise as I was expecting it to look like an oil spill. This is not the case is not the largest or bluest but it was fine. There was plenty of seating and shade. The sand was soft and cool. There were lots of people in the ocean when we were there. They do have beach service for drinks and offer free non-motorized water sports. No food on the beach.
Rooms… Had everything we needed but pretty basic. We were in building 5 and had the nice walk in shower with two shower heads and double sinks. Air-conditioning was VERY cold which was great. Room service is tricky; while it is an all-inclusive perk they do charge a $12 delivery fee. Fridge in room kept drinks nice and cold. Did not use hotel toiletries but they were available. Bed was comfortable but would have been nice to have an addition blanket. All in all no complaints.
Food… As I stated we were a group of 9 and had no problem getting reservations every night for a different restaurant at 7:30pm all seated together. Buffett for breakfast and lunch were standard if you could not find something to eat then that’s your own issue. Dinner was good to very good at all restaurants. NO food on beach or by pool. I witness a little boy having a box of cereal taken away at the door when exiting the buffet in the morning. This may have something to do with the wild life?...
Sports Bar… not really a sports bar more like an open air auditorium. A few TV’s, 2 bars, 2 pool tables ($2 per game), air hokey and a couple video games. Nightly shows are in this area as well. Free internet and coffee mostly all day. We switched to this resort last minute to have this type of entertainment available and found that we did not really use it.
The VIP bar (available to all after 5:00) is missed by most… It is around the back side of the main buffet by the beach. We went on two nights before dinner and were the only people there. Great drinks and in the sand. Each night at 11:00 they have a DJ in this area.
Shuttle to Playa Del Carmen is $5 per person each way and runs 3-4 times a day.
Would we return? If we are looking for a great value resort with a group absolutely!

Room Tip: Building 5 have newer bathrooms and is close to the pool and ocean.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank JENNY W
paulding ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

We read a lot of reviews and were hesitant about staying here but it was fun. The resort is spread out but great for walking did not kill you at all. If you want to be by the beach stay in buildings 1,2,3 and 4. The steak and seafood restaruants are there and the beach. You can book your ala carte restaruants for 2 days at a time. Do not book at the concierge desk with anyone using a laptop they are timeshare. The best bar is on the beach beside the steak restaurant, ceasar was great. Dos exxis on tap, you need. To ask for good liqour they will give it to you. Buy your ciggarretes at the duty free at the cancun airport. 79.00 for 3 cartons marlboro..by your tequilla at walmart cheapest place. Jose cuervo 8.00 us for a litre. The beach area was nice in the afternoon after they cleaned it. Take your own cups..tipping did not improve service at all I hate to say..on saturdays the locals come in and sell there wares at the resort they are twice as much as in town. Pay the shuttle to town but get a taxi back to the resort and the driver will take you to pick up your big packages and liqour at walmart.
Buffets at breakfast was the best at the snack bar. Lunch and dinner at the festival by the lobby...free internet at the sports bar and hotel lobby...we got a private shuttle from lunamare 129.00 round trip with meet at airport and fast drive 5o resort and back new suburbans..very safe in town and at resort..we are taking the kids back in November.
Would stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank eric h
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

We recently attended a weeding there and it was such an amazing experience! Everything was perfect! I really recommend you to organize a wedding or a friends trip over there!

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank LuzRuiz
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

We had a great holiday at Bluebay. I am so pleased we didn't get spooked by any of the negative reviews of this place and do wonder what it takes to satisfy some of these people!

The resort is beautiful and immaculate. Yes of course there is a slight smell, you are amongst mangroves. It is not offensive in any way.

We stayed in building 3 and the room was lovely and spacious with two comfy double beds. Really nice toiletries.

It took us a couple of days to work out the system for booking meals with the concierge which was actually really funny. We'd heard rumours they came at 7 but actually it's not until 8 and not at every building so we had a couple of v early morning hanging out with the cute raccoon type creatures making friends with other bemused guests!

The food is outstanding, both at the buffets and the a la carte restaraunts. We tried Italian, French and seafood. Would have loved to try more but got tempted by the buffet the other nights.

Drinks are very good. Puzzled how anyone could think otherwise!? Cocktails fab. Mostly had Bloody Marys and Margueritas but the Maria was nice for a treat. Wine perfectly acceptable.

Went on organised trip to Tulum which was great (we felt bad just lying around drinking cocktails and soaking up the sun so thought we should get some culture).

Didn't see nighttime entertainment as not our thing so can't comment on that.

Can't believe some people describe the resort as huge. This was a running joke for us 'oh my god this place is huge and it takes so long to get everywhere' was often said on our five minute walks between places.

Get up super early to get a sunbed mind. Many spoilsports leave trainers, caps etc on loungers overnight - that's not playing fair.

I really hope we will go back to Bluebay, it was FAB!!

• Stayed February 2012
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
#13 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.0 of 5 bubbles 10,395 reviews

Been to BlueBay Grand Esmeralda? Share your experiences!