“Good but not wow”

BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
Ranked #100 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We stayed here from the 27th of April to the 4 of May ,we were in building 5 right on the beach, on the 3 floor , in room 5343 . Loved the view! The room was large a very clean . Bed was really comfortable. Each building has a concierge in front as you enter your building , this is where you would book your a la carte restaurants and ask for any services like wake up calls or shuttle with you bags when you would check out. The one thing you must remember is that the patio door locks when you shut it . So don't get stuck out side, you will be locked out.
The food was very good, Every thing we tried was good nothing grose or bad . The drinks were very nice and cold , lots of beer and wine. You just had to name it and they made it .
As for the beach, we knew if was not the best but we still were able to get in twice that week.
We did like the others have said and walked about ten minutes to the left of the resort and went to the lagoon. The lagoon is part of the Hacienda Tres Rios resort . They don't mind us using the lagoon but just don't use the chairs and loungers. So as the beach isn't swimmable all the time that leaves the pools, well as you know more swimmers the more the water gets dirty . We noticed that the water levels were below the pools skimmers ,so this means that the water is not being filtered at all .On our first morning at the smaller pool at the top, I told the young man trying to clean the pool that the pool needed more water , that his hard efforts could not clean or treat the water as it should be without the pool pumps running .That same day at the larger pool , I found the same thing , not enough water the reach the skimmer and again I told the pool boy. The next day we noticed they had added some water for some of the skimmers were actually filtering the water but not all skimmers were getting water.
The pool areas need umbrellas, people were pulling up chairs in the lawn under any thing that would give some shade. People with children would not stay at the kids pool because it was to hot. So they came to the deeper pools were there was some shade, taking the kids in the water, some of them with no diapers. This should be watch as there are diapers for swimming pools . But the one thing that I really minded was the smells . We had to walk through mangroves and I don't know what was decomposing in there but it was nasty.And sometimes you would go to the wash rooms by the beach restaurant and the smell could be very bad. We noticed the same thing at the sports bar. We had heard good things about this resort from friends that had stayed here before but this year it lacked a lot to give the wow factor. I enjoyed the staff except for the time share sellers. I just asked if it was for a time share, and said that I was not interested and they left us alone . So if your not interested just smile and say no thank you .

Room Tip: for the price we paid it was ok , but not at top price I would have wanted to be changed hotels ro...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 8fortheroad
There are newer reviews for BlueBay Grand Esmeralda

Reviewed 13 May 2012

The staff are hard working, buildings smell like mildew, bring OFF and some bug spray for your room, nice balcony and food...I dislike not having any closure in the dining halls birds are everywhere Unsanitary...Love All-inclusive...arrived with a group of about 130 people...Nice time I will stay in Cancun only because the water is really Blue there and closer to shops... Don't bother paying $39 for the internet, it rarely works...

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank rjones621
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We recently attended our son's wedding at the BBGE and we were concerned due to some of the reviews posted on Tripadvisor. Do not believe the bad reviews. We have been to many (at least 20) All Inclusives and this was definitely one of the best!
We booked the Emerald Jacuzzi Suite Oceanview and it was a beautiful room with a really nice view of the ocean. It had 2 new TV's (that we were too busy to watch!) 2 full bathrooms, a dining area, living room and separate bedroom. There was tons of closet space and the balcony was huge. It was very private and the jacuzzi worked great.
We entered the room to find a bottle of champagne, fresh fruit, stocked fridge and premium liquor selection. Each night a small plate of desserts or antipasto was delivered to our room. The beds were very comfortable and even the sofa bed was ok after they put a couple of mattress pads on it. They called to make sure everything was to our liking.
The food was remarkably good and we loved the ala cartes. We had no problem booking our selection and got to eat in all the ones we wanted to try. The buffets were all very good with a nice assortment each day.
The pools were gorgeous and the beach was beautiful. We only had one murky day when the wind changed, the rest of the time it was really nice (see photos). We also went to the lagoon just down the beach and had a fun time swimming and snorkeling there. It was almost like a free excursion!
The nightly entertainment was the only thing that was a little weak but it seems that is the case in Mexico these days. We didn't mind because we had a large group and ended up at the swing bar and dancing on the beach each night. I must say I was concerned that there was no disco but the beach party under the stars was so much better!!! We had an absolute blast!
The wedding on the beach was wonderful, memories to last a lifetime. It was set up and executed to perfection and the dinner afterwards was so delicious. The wedding cake was the best I have ever had.
I could go on about everything however I must say do not be worried about booking this hotel, I would highly recommend it and would go back any time.

Room Tip: We were in building 2 Coba that was very close to the pool, beach and buffet. An excellent location!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank sandiie
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Had an absolutely wonderful time! Overall review is good. If it was based solely on the staff I'd say excellent as I've never seen harder working people that never stop smiling and bend over backwards to make your stay pleasurable. My biggest complaint is the lack of shade. If you're like me and burn easily, there are no umbrellas by the pool only some wooden stick roof things that still let the sun through only in stripes of sun and shade ! A few palapas on the beach but I'd say out of about 150 pool chais only 40 in the shade ! I got so over heated one day I walked over to the pool side shop and sat on the stairs where there was a bit of shade. This is my only big complaint with this hotel though. DO NOT FORGET YOUR SUNSCREEN ! It's about $20 - $24 US dollars both at the hotel store and on 5th avenue - mosquito repellent $16 bucks ! The guy in front of me at the hotel store bought 3 things - sunscreen, repellent and stomach ache pills - came to $55 US - he almost fainted !

I've seen some reviews of bad food but it was really good. If you're like me and eat at places like Rickis, White Spot, Dennys, etc - the food is good in comparison. Pork loin stuffed with spinach and peppers, omlette bar, pasta with various toppings, chicken in white wine sauce, glazed carrots, fresh salad bar, fruits, on and on - each night at the buffet is different theme - Italian, International, Mexican so there's something new each night along with the basic staples and did I mentio the desserts? OMG - I actually used a dinner plate and tried each one - fan-freakin-tastic ! The only thing I would stay away from is their buffet steak - whether sirloin or t-bone - could hardly cut thru them. I tried it 3 times and gave up but everything else I enjoyed.
We only made it to 2 of the specialty restaurants - really loved the Mexican and had the best chocolate cake I've ever had in my life. Asian was hit and miss. I unintentionally got raw tuna with seared spices rather than seared tuna - my fault - but the steak satay was awesome. My friends chicken stirfry was really bland. The salad bar was the best though ! I wish we had gone to the Italian but you really have to make your reservations the night before or by 0800 at the lastest, otherwise they get booked up. We stayed at the buffet mostly as more convenient and we werent that organized - we were on holiday after all !

Rooms are kept very clean along with the hallways, grounds and beach area. Staff working non stop all the time pruning bushes, power washing stairs and sidewalks, and even shoveling seaweed off the beach ! Yes there is a lot of seaweed in the close water but if you just want to sit seaside and watch the surf, it doesnt affect you, still looks really nice. This hotel has very comfortable beds ! I've stayed other places where my hips actually hurt cause the bed is so hard - not here. And 4 very soft fluffy pillows were wonderful too.

Few issues were our room key stopped working in the 2nd week, fan in room was possessed and stopped or reversed by itself, hair dryer stopped working, ice machine on the 1st floor only worked the 1st night so had to go to 2nd floor and somehow got infested with mosquitos one day - but all these issues were dealt with within the hour after we called the front desk so again, wasnt much of an issue overall.

Would I go back to the Blue Bay? Probably not but only because I would like to stay closer to Playa Del Carmen - closer to 5th ave for shopping, Cozumel for the ferry over, and their beach is awesome ! Go down to 5th ave as everything you ever wanted to buy is there - except cameras (my friend lost hers) - and take a minute to walk the 2 very short blocks down to the water as the beach if what you dream of when you think of Mexico. From left to right as far as the eye can see - white sand, crystal clear blue water - girls in bikinis - boys in various shades of shorts or speedos (egad!) - seadoos - parasailers - on & on with lots of drinks served from the various bars along the beach. Great to sit & sip after a full day of shopping.

Definately see Xcaret - Lots of animals, various birds, loose iguanas, turtles of every size, some Mayan ruins and easy snorkeling thru man made caves. Worth the trip. just stay away from the walk thru the Mushroom and compost area and the underground caves. We didnt mean to see either of these but it was easy to make a wrong turn on a path and find yourself walking for 30 mins not being able to find your way out.

Xel-ha was nice too. For the more physically active people I'd say as there's cliff jumping, zip lining, and some kind of rope walking over the water. We did the tubing but found it really frustrating as there isnt really a 'current' to pull you down the river so a supposed 1 hr float ended up being almost 2.5 hrs as the wind had picked up and was pushing us back - wasted a lot of good snorkeling time floating is a stupid tube unable to reach the end ! Unless you want to float aimlessly for an undeterminded amount of time - skip the tube and do the rest ! They have dolphins, manatees and nurse sharks to swim with - we missed out on these but I'd totally go back to do that stuff. Yes - there is an extra charge over the entrance fee if you want to swim with anything but you get a free buffet with your entrance ticket.

We also went snorkeling with Morning Glory tours - set up by the concierge - and this was great. Out on a snow white powder beach by Puerto Moreles and into the Caribean. The staff take really good care of you while in the water and I felt safe the whole time even though this was my first time snorkeling. Saw lots of fish and the coolest coral reefs in the clear beautiful water.

So I hope this helps someone. It was one of my best holidays yet and I wouldnt hesitate to go back to this part of Mexico.

Room Tip: Depends on what you want to see. Buildings 1-3 are at the front of the grounds closest to the water...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank gwendolyn66
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week at the BlueBay with 41 of our friends and family for our wedding. Let me start our by saying that this resort is great. All of our guests had a wonderful time and had nothing but great things to say about this resort.

We all booked through WestJet vacations out of Toronto. Because our group was so large we had our own bus through Best Day Travel from the airport to the resort. We didn't have to make any stops on the way, which was great, and the drive took about 35 minutes.

As soon as we arrived at the resort at 1:30pm we were greeted with a welcome drink and a staff member who gave us the rundown of the resort. Check in was flawless and some people got their rooms right away and others had to wait no more then an hour. Because of the rooms our group booked we all had wifi in our rooms, beach towels waiting for us and free room service. We all ate at the Festival Buffet shortly after arriving and everyone had a great first impression of the food.

The food: There are so many options for eating at the BlueBay. There are two buffets opened for breakfast and two for lunch and one for dinner. There are also five a la cartes for dinner. There is also a snack bar at the smaller pool near building 8 that is open until 1:00am. We always ate at the Jal Haal buffet for breakfast and lunch because it was on the beach and close to our rooms. We didn't try all of the a la cartes but our group was so large that I was told how the food was in each even if I wasn't the one trying them. My husband and I never actually made reservations for dinner because people in our group took turns including us in their reservations. I know they usually had them made by 8:00am but this was because they were normally for 10 people. You have to make the reservations in the morning for the next day. I think the general opinion from our group was the Italian and oriental were the favourites. I had both of these and they were great. I also had the Mexican which was ok and the seafood which could have been better. A lot of the men complained about small portions so they quickly learned to grab a "pre-meal" at the buffet before dinner. For myself though and most of the woman the portions were perfect. Room service is a great feature too and we usually ordered the quesadillas as a late night snack!

Rooms: Most of our group was in building 5 with the exception of those few who booked on thei own and were in building 1 and us, who booked a jacuzzi suite as part of our wedding package and were in building 3. Building 5 was great and the rooms were very updated. Building 1 on the other hand was gross and smelled of mould. Those in building 1 asked on the first day to move to building 5 and were all able to by the next morning. Our room in building 3 was great. It was a two room suite and we had a fully stocked bar in the room. We were also brought food and champagne or wine every night so it was waiting for us when we got in from the night. I would request building 5, 4, 3 or 2 if you are staying at this resort as they are the closest to the beach and the nicest.

Pool and Beach: Its been said in all of the reviews about the beach so what else can I say? This resort is great value for the money so you can't have it all. Walk to the lagoon 10 minutes to the left and the water is beautiful and clear. The beach is long so you can take some good long walks. The pools are nice but they need to work on getting the water levels higher because the water is below the skimmers which means that the water is not being properly circulated. We never had a problem finding chairs on the beach or around the pool at any time. There is a lot of shade and room to move from shade to sun.

Nightlife: Our group usually met after dinner in the sports bar for some drinks before moving to the swing bar. We never watched any of the shows so I cannot comment on them. The swing bar is very fun and the breeze from the water is great. There is a beach party every night with a DJ at the VIP bar. We definitely danced the night away here quite a few nights. There is a bar and lots of seating if dancing isn't your thing.

Excursions: Quite a few of us did parasailing which we arranged with the guys on the beach. We definitely negotiated the price down from $65 to $45 a person and my husband and I went for free. My husband, brother and friend did the small scuba course in the pool and then went diving. None of them are certified divers but they could go because they didn't go lower then 50 feet. My husband loved it so much that he went again the next day. A few people from our group did the half day to Tulum, which they loved but said it was HOT so be prepared!!

Wedding Day: Our wedding was amazing and I would highly recommend this resort and Patricia in the wedding department. Our wedding outfits were steamed the day before and delivered to our rooms the morning of the wedding. I had my hair done in the spa and it turned our exactly like the picture I showed the hairdresser. The wedding was at 4:00 and we had the VIP bar from 4:30-5:30 for our guests to enjoy privately before dinner at 6:00 in the Italian restaurant. Our wedding day finished with a barefoot dance party on the beach and it was the best day ever thanks to the BlueBay.

What else can I say? This resort was great for our group and everyone had a wonderful time. Oh and the resort is not nearly as big as everyone says. 7 minutes from one end to the other is nothing. Oh and if you get a free spa voucher, use it. You don't have to book services you can just sit and enjoy the pools and sauna and steam rooms.

If you have booked this resort rest assured that you will have a great time!!!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Amy D
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a belated honeymoon from December 13-20, 2011. We had a fantastic time.

First of all, the staff is very friendly and courteous. The rooms were always clean, and I appreciated the treats left in our mini fridge and the towel animals left by the maids. The whole resort is extremely clean and the staff were always working hard on maintenance and keeping things in order.

The food at this resort was fantastic. Take advantage of the a la cartes - the meals were five star. We especially enjoyed the Italian and Japanese fusion restaurants. We preferred the smaller buffet for breakfast and lunch over the Festival main buffet. We also spent a lot of time at the swing bar - the bartenders were friendly and fun.

The entertainment team staff clearly love their jobs and are constantly running activities in the pool area. They also run the evening shows, which we found to be a bit cheesy, and didn't attend most of them. The pool is very well-kept and has lots of lounge chairs for sunbathing.

The resort itself is quite large, and although some commenters complained about the long walks, we appreciated this since we were indulging in the margaritas and wonderful food. There is a shuttle service that goes around every 10 minutes or so for those who need it, but we didn't use this. The spa at this resort is beautiful and has a hydrotherapy circuit - we took advantage of this one day when the weather was cooler and it was a nice way to relax.

We didn't spend a lot of time in the pool, but enjoyed the beach and the view of the ocean. In fact, the beach was the only thing that wasn't excellent at this resort - it is man made so it is a bit sea-weedy (although the staff are grooming it constantly) and the ocean is very, very rocky. I would strongly recommend bringing water shoes. Other than that, we had an great experience and would strongly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sara M
Reviewed 10 May 2012

First of all, ignore the negative reviews for this resort. I dont know how people can rate this place so low?

We stayed from the 24th April - 9th May as a couple and were both amazed with how great this place is! The staff here really do work hard to keep the place running like clockwork and it shows it. All the gardens, the pool areas, eating areas and rooms are always clean, tidy and are constantly being kept this way from morning till the early hours of the morning by the staff.

Accommodation

We stayed in accommodation block number 5 (palenque). This is located near the beach and pool area. The room was very spacious, cleaned to a very high standard everyday and we had a view over looking some of the mangrove. We particularly enjoyed the towel animals left by the house keeping for us on some of the days. The air-conditioning and ceiling fan worked fine and we needed them as it was quite hot and humid during our stay. It can be a bit noisy in the mornings with the housekeeping moving their carts down the corridors at around 8am, but this didn’t really bother us as we were getting up shortly after that time anyway.

Pool and Beach Area

We loved the pool area; it was clean and had plenty of sun beds to go round. Quite a few have some shaded areas in case you want to get out the sun. The staff always popped round taking drinks orders, or alternatively you could go to either of the pool side bars to order yourself. The pool is around 4ft deep all the way around, however, it would have been nice had it been a bit deeper but this didn’t bother us to be honest. Quite a lot of people leave towels out on the sunbeds to reserve them, and we had to follow suit sometimes to get certain areas we wanted to sunbathe in. We didn’t do this every day and the times we didn’t, we found plenty of empty sunbeds to pitch up on for a few hours.

The beach has crisp white sand, with palm trees and wood/grass sun shelters to take cover if needed. These shelters are limited in numbers, so if you want one we found you had to get a towel on them by around 7am as they quickly got reserved after this time. The beach itself can be slightly covered in seaweed, but the staff are constantly working throughout the day to remove this. It's not something the resort can do anything about and some days are worse than others. This caused the sea to be murky in some places, but this didn’t bother either of us to be honest. To the left of the beach (10 minute walk; for those you can be bothered to walk) is the lagoon. This was beautiful, clear blue water surrounded by mangrove and a cracking bit of beach. The water is really warm and great for swimming or just watching the fish swim around. Well worth a visit!!

We found the buffet restaurants to be excellent with a wide variety of choice. The breakfasts were amazing, plenty of choice, fried hot food, cereals and fruits. The lunch time and evening buffets were just as good with plenty of choice. The evening buffets changed themes on a daily basis from Mexican, Spanish, Italian, seafood and Oriental.

A la Carte food was fantastic! We found the reservation system to be fine, although you can’t get your first choice some of the time, but that’s because we were trying to book later in the day. We found the French to be the best, the food was so tasty and the service by the staff excellent! We also liked the Steakhouse, Oriental and Italian. The Mexican was slightly disappointing considering we were in Mexico, but still enjoyed the food. We didn’t try the seafood as I’m not a big fan.

The Resort Itself

The resort is fairly big. It's about a 10-15 minute walk from the beach front to the main lobby. This was no problem at all for us as we enjoyed the walk through the very nice surroundings and it often helped walk a bit of food off that we had just eaten. We didn’t bother using the resort shuffle / golf cart buggies that run every 10-15 minutes round the resort. As us humans have been given legs, it's only right to use them unless you have a genuine reason why you can’t. I don’t know why anyone would complain about having to walk round such a nice place!
They have a shuttle bus which runs from the main lobby into Playa del Carmen daily, with various pickup and drop off times throughout the day. They charge you 50 pesos (£2.50) which really isn’t bad considering a taxi is 195 (£10.00) pesos each way for a 10 minute journey.

The lounge bar near the Italian and French a la carte buildings is a nice chilled out and relaxing place to sip a cocktail or 2. Well worth a visit. They even had a live jazz band playing one of the evenings which really made it special.

The sports bar is where the nightly entertainment takes place. While we were there we went to see the resorts production of Grease and a Latin show. Both were great, really nice sitting down and having a couple of drinks and taking in a bit of entertainment. Don’t expect any west end grade performances, but it was more than fine!

The Swing bar. What a great idea, small wooden bar on the beach front which rope swings to sit on. We found this very pleasant during the first week of our stay, and often had a wander down after food in the evenings for a few drinks, take in the sea air and the cooling breeze while listening to a bit of soft Mexican music.

Trips

Coco Bongo.

This is a must see!! We paid $110 which included transport to and from the hotel and the entrance fee. It's like a night club and show all rolled into one! Fantastic!

Ek Balam and Cenote Maya with Alltournative

If there’s one trip you do while here, do this! $129 pp. (14 people max) Pick up from lobby at 7am. 2.5 hour drive (depending on other hotel pickups) to Ek Balam Mayan ruins. 45 minute guided tour by one of the local tour guides. Very interesting and factual. You want walk up the pyramid and the other ruins which give stunning views and an insight into Mayan ways and history. You get another 45 minutes to explore the ruins yourself before getting back on the bus. Next, a 30 minute drive to the Cenote Maya. This is an underground river also called a cenote. You can abseil down from the opening at the top into the water below. Once down and un-attached you can swim to a platform and use some zip-wires, high dives and rope bridges all above the water. Following that you have a traditional Mayan lunch (very nice it was too!!) and a short nap in a hammock before getting back on the bus and going back to the resort. Arrive back around 7pm. Such an amazing day and our guide Rafael was knowledgeable, friendly and even gave me some jip about my football team being relegated! haha!
My only gripe with the resort, and i'm sure the other resort hotels in the area too is the other people staying there. Actually without wanting to point the finger too much, mainly the nationality from over the border north of Mexico (yes thats you America). I'm not saying that everyone from that part of the world falls under this, but a good majority seemed to let their side down a fair bit. Why do they need to scream, shout, be loud and curse?

Example A: Popped down the swing bar one evening (in the 2nd week) and it was fairly busy, while waiting at the bar, the peaceful Mexican music they often played at low volume was been completely drowned out by someone’s personal sound system knocking out some gangster rap rubbish. Why do they feel that everyone should have their space polluted by that? I'm not even saying I don’t like that style of music, but in the circumstances it was ruining the ambience of the place. Funnily enough I think some residents stopping in the accommodation block near the beach complained about the noise and the bar was shut well before its 1am closing time. Nice to see it ruined for everyone else!

Example B: Large groups getting completely wasted in and around the pool, cursing and swearing when there were clearly quite a few young children around. This kind of makes some parts a bit of a no go area due to all the shouting and fooling around. If you want to do that, go to an adults only resort?

Example C: Swing bar one evening, fairly busy again. While waiting patiently at the bar to get a drink for myself and girlfriend, one loud mouthed drunk pushed right through the bar, and orders 20 beers, multiple shots and a number of cocktails so she and he friends can get even more wasted. I felt a bit sorry for the bar tender as he was clearly not expecting this, and wanted to get rid of them. Oh and after all that he gets a petty $1 tip!

Example D: Why is it some people think it's ok to sit on their balcony with friends from other rooms drinking and shouting at 130am. Fine, up to 11 - 1130pm, ok you’re on holiday, knock yourself out, have a few beers and a laugh and a joke. Got no problem with that. Why do they think it's ok to do it at silly o'clock in the morning, when other people are trying to sleep, and other people are staying with children. We were just about to phone the reception desk to make a complaint, but someone had already beaten us to this, as we could hear the telephone conversation and the diagnosis from the room next door with some expletives shouted from the balcony aimed at the other guests who complained to the hotel.

Example E: Have you not heard of the words please and thank you? This is a normal response to give someone when they bring you a drink, serve your meals etc....
Just like to point out, I’ve been to America for a couple of holidays, and I love the place. The people were great to be honest. My gripe is regarding a fairly small minority that seemed to think they owned the place

Overall........just book it! Excellent resort, location, staff, food, facilities. I know you can’t help the people who are there at the time, but this was just a minor gripe for us.

Room Tip: Buildings 1-5 are near the beach and the main pool area
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
23.3 km away
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
10.6 km away
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#41 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Allegro Playacar
#84 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
19.5 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to BlueBay Grand Esmeralda? Share your experiences!