“Stolen Credit Card Info: Don't Use the Room Safe!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of BlueBay Grand Esmeralda

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
Ranked #93 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Stolen Credit Card Info: Don't Use the Room Safe!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the BlueBay Grand Esmeralda, and enjoyed our stay but for the tiny detail of a hotel employee breaking into our room safe and stealing my credit card information. A few weeks after our stay I was contacted by the fraud department of my credit card about a fraudulent transaction, so I had to get a new credit card. We had left some stuff in our room safe including my wallet with credit cards, and our passports. Upon returning to our room, a hotel staff member had opened the closet, opened the locked safe with a key and had left a laminated card in front of the safe saying something to the effect of "We noticed you left your safe open." We definitely did not leave the safe unlocked, and even if we had, we didn't leave the closet door open as it was when we returned to our room. Staff shouldn't be poking around in your closet.

Aside from this terrible invasion of privacy and theft of my credit card information, we did enjoy our stay. We will never return to this hotel or any BlueBay property however.

Room Tip: Don't use the in-room safe!!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank CincinnatiOHGuy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,922)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Grande Prairie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

This is our second time at the Blue Bay and both times have been treated excellent. Rooms are spacious and clean with extra touches. Attention is given to detail on service with a smile. Food is fresh and generous. Setting is beautiful and very safe. Help is given with efficiency, kindness and a smile. Beaches are unlimited in any direction for walking and swimming but I have to say our resort was meticulous in making sure the seaweed was removed daily. It is an international resort and family orientated. We would recommend Blue Bay without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tracine B
Farragut, Tennessee, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

We arrived on Friday May 25 and departed on May 31 (6 nights). Upon arrival, our greeting was like any average hotel (no welcome drink or friendly staff). Make sure that you ask for one of the buildings closer to the beach/pool area. If not, you will be placed in one of the buildings at the back of the resort complex & will have to walk approximately 10 minutes to/from the beach (unless you can catch the train). Since this is low occupancy season (according to staff), some of the buildings are not open, therefore they attempt to place you at the back of the resort/complex. The following is a honest summary of pros/cons of this resort complex:

Pros: Grounds are maintained regularly, Rooms are clean, Refridgerator was stocked daily, Food is average/above average, Pool is large, Staff is friendly if you consistantly tip, Best Day Travel were very helpful with our excursion to XCaret (highly recommend this park A+++), visited Playa Del Carmen one afternoon with no problems.

Cons: Extremely weak on evening entertainment, daily entertainment was minimal, no premium alcohol, on windy days the seaweed contaminates the beach water (the area closest to the VIP section is better for swimming), no dance/disco bar at this resort (only a sports bar), sometimes difficult to get dinner reservations (only allowed to book one day in advance with minimal availability).

We would recommend that you walk to the adjacent resort to the left (north). There is a spring fed river/lagoon that outflows into the ocean. The water is much cooler but is extremely clear. Be sure to take "bread" with you to feed the fish. If you cross over the pedestrian bridge and walk towards the covered wooden platform, there is an area with a high-concentration of fish (very clear water).

We have traveled to many carribean countries and resorts. This is a cost effective resort for the budget travelor that wants to relax and doesn't require much entertainment. However, you may become bored if you stay a lengthy amount of time (based upon the available activities).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank John B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

When searching for the perfect birthday location my friends suggested Mexico. Having been to the Dominican Republic two years in a row I was ready for a change as well. We searched many hotels and finally I fell in love with the bluebay grand Esmeralda. If you are looking for a busy cancun experience this is not it. This was the escape that I needed and along with my all inclusive package it was all the liquor and food that I could consume.

Nightlife : there are options for the CocoBongo (which I hear was overrated) and a beach party every night that only about twenty people go every night. This is not a place for partying if you are hardcore.

Food: the buffet is AMAZING make sure you arrive early enough to make your selection from the vast choices. Breakfast and lunch kept us full throughout the day. We made reservations for the restaurants for three nights. The first two nights the reservations were late so maybe that is why the food wasn't so good. Our last meal however was early at the French restaurant and everything was delicious.

The rooms are spotless. The showers are beautiful if you aren't too picky. They show a little rust but who cares? Little bugs on the floor maybe but it's Mexico, I haven't gone to a resort and not seen at least 4 little ants. There may be bed bugs, I'm not too sure, I didn't see any with my eyes but my skin did feel itchy at times. But that could have just been me.

Speaking of bugs bring A LOT of bug spray. I had a repellant band that served no use, Mosquitos are everywhere. But you forget about them the next day because everything is so beautiful.

The beach water could be a little brighter but the pool is a dream.

I would suggest anybody go to this restaurant if they need to get away from the world. A perfect getaway.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Beka718
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

This is the first time I have ever written a review... I stayed here with my boyfriend in May 2010 (A very long over due review I know) but this really was the best hotel & holiday we have had so far! The staff were lovely, friendly & helpful. Rooms were amazing always cleaned well... And the only time we tipped our cleaner was when we left she did a good job for the entire 2 weeks!

Restaurants are amazing, Mexican was by far our favourite! But all very nice. Bars are all good, friendly staff. Not much going on in the evenings for young people but that didn't bother me all that much. (We always tipped in the restaurants)

Pool lovely, never had any trouble getting sunbed's! The staff were always around to get you a drink and you never felt that you HAD to tip them either.

We had one night out in Cancun, a bit of a journey but was a great night out! Can go to Playa which is not far at all for a night out instead.

Overall from the moment we arrived to the moment we left it was brilliant! Didn't want to come home. Would defo go back sometime soon!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cheridane C
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

Myself and my boyfriend went on our first trip to this hotel. We stayed for 2 weeks and it was the worst vacation ever. The food was horrible staff was just as bad I would never go back and never ever recommend anyone to stay here

• Stayed March 2012
7 Thank Kendraow
Cancun
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

First time I stay in this resort. For me it was just ok. I think the staff generally speaking could be a bit more friendly, specially in the bars, it is funny how when you dont tip you dont hear a "you are welcome" after you say thanks. There is not much variety for breakfast and lunch, only 2 restaurants, and one of them was the snack bar by the small swimming pool, so that practicly makes it one, and let me tell you it was not enough because there was a lot of people for both breakfast and lunch. For dinner you have 4 options, (at least thats what concierge told us) but the italian, french and steak house require a reservation, oh how i hate that. I missed the "first come first served" policy. So we ended up in the mexican, the night that was sea food buffette, the food was ok but the place was packed, way to big for a restaurant. We didnt have a chance to eat in any of the other ones because we were there for 1 night only. Im sure the food is good there too. In general we had a good time. But before staying there again i would check other options. Very early in the morning the house keeping karts make a lot of noise in the halls. They should seriously consider buying rubber wheels for those. The beach area is very nice. So with all and all it was ok for the low price that we paid.

Room Tip: ask for second or third floor, that will be less noisy
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
39.2 km away
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
29.2 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,352 reviews

Been to BlueBay Grand Esmeralda? Share your experiences!