“Owners of the Royal Haciendas”

The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #50 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We have been to our resort twice. It should be our 4th time this December, but due to our Son's illness we have decided not to take the risk of leaving the country and having a medical emergency. We cant wait to go back and stay again, we love the resort and are always treated very well and the staff are super helpful. Great staff for the kids too,we will miss them this year. Our Host is Betty Salinas very nice lady. Hopfully we will be back in 2012 to see everyone. We are sending our friends this year to take our place, so you know its nice if you send your friends there.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa

Reviewed 9 September 2011

T his is a nice resort but feels more like a hotel. The pool had lots of kids in it with very little parental control. Even though the hot tubs said "no children allowed", they were more like kiddy pools than hot tubs. The food at Los Morales in the resort was excellent. The dive shop at the resort is top notch and puts safety before all else!! The rooms are big and they all have individual hot tubs on the balconies. The staff was very friendly and always wore a smile. If you plan on going and do not want a lot of kids around, go after labor day when all the kids are in school.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mark T
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Just returned from our one-week trip to RH in Playa Del Carmen on Saturday, September 3. This time-share is gorgeous. I will confirm what others are saying: the grounds are picture-perfect, the units are spacious and comfortable, the pools, delightful, the beach a little rocky but lovely nonetheless, and the food in the Palapa Del Sol and the grills was delicious. Really. I don't own a timeshare. I went with family who traded for this place. I don't have an agenda here. But I was so taken with this place that I asked if I could go back with them next year, and that's something I just don't do. I want to see the world, not the same place over and over. But the level of service, the cleanliness, the friendly helpfulness of the staff here is really unbeatable. Every day, EVERY DAY, the maid was in our rooms for 2 hours, scrubbing the floors, changing the linens including the bedspreads, even washing the walls. If that's important to you, you'll really be happy here. The staff was always willing to help and everyone passed by with a smile and a "hola". Picture this: lying on a lounge chair under a straw umbrella 5 feet from the beautiful caribbean as a waiter brings you anything you could possibly want. Heaven. Happy hour from 3 to 6 p.m. was awesome, either on the beach or at the swim-up bar. The theme buffets, something I try to avoid at all costs, were really good. I couldn't believe it. There were a few draw-backs, but nothing that spoiled our vacation. They have a courtesy shuttle that goes into town every day, but the hours are short and they filled up fast. One time they passed us by while waiting to be picked up. Oh, well, mistakes happen, right? We took a cab back to the RH for 100 pesos. No big deal. My memories are so fond, I can't even remember if there was anything else. Oh, right. I loved one of their soups (I loved ALL of their soups) so much that I asked for the recipe and they hesitated and finally gave me ingredients but no recipe. Okay, I understand, it's a secret. It rained a couple of times but it was for brief periods and then the sun came shining out again. And with temps over 90 degrees every day, we hoped for some cooling off from the rain, but that never happened. Other than that, a truly wonderful vacation. I'll post again with the different adventures we went on and the restaurants we visited, but for now, I will tell you can't go wrong staying at the RH.

Room Tip: Tried to upgrade with all my might and dimples, but nothing worked;)
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank missyvb
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We go to the haciendas every year for a true vacation. It is the only time my family can get together for some quality bonding. This place is pretty versatile. It is beautiful with soft sand, warm seas, and lush greenery. It is not built up like Cancun so you still see some wildlife and greenery. There are days when you can just lay on the beach and swim in the ocean but watch out for a few rocks though. Other days, you can dive right off the beach with the Dive Balam boat. The company has some pretty fun staff. They have different dives everyday. I even got certified a couple years ago. Although, the certification process in the States is bit more detailed and slow pace. I feel as they skipped a few things at the Haciendas that would have been valuable to learn. The process is quick though and gets you diving asap. The cenote dives are my favorite and absolutely spectacular.

The free kayak rentals are great too. You can paddle out a bit a get a very nice view. There is also ample room to play tennis in their well maintained tennis courts. They have a Spa if you are into that. It's way too expensive for my tastes. More expensive than in the States. Personally, all I need is the huge hot tubs to lounge in on colder days or when the sun goes down. They even have little jacuzzis on you balcony. They also have fun classes in the mornings like Zumba and Yoga. My parents take the Spanish class.

The food selection is a little limited but what they offer is fairly tasty. They have one normal restaurant, Hacienda del Sol, and a very expensive one, Los Murales. The haciendas are also close to many of the ruins and other great things like zip lining, cenote swimming, Xplor, and Xcaret. Downtown is taxi drive away, which can get annoying. It is definitely worth it to go check out though. The actual city is very quaint and fun to walk around in. There is also some real authentic Mexican food at places like El Fogon. Of course there is nightlife too with fun beach bars.

Overall, even though this place is not all inclusive I definitely think it is worth your money and an amazing place to stay.

P.S. If you are looking for a party resort, this is not it.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2011

My husband and I took a week excursion for our anniversary to the Royal Haciendas. We already own a week 8 villa; however, we were offered a great deal on a summer time visit, so we took advantage of the opportunity. It did not disappoint. Although we noticed more rain during this time of year, the weather was warmer than in February, and we really enjoyed it. We spent most of our time at the pool, and since we now know most of the wait staff at the pool and Aqua Grills, we have a great time each time we visit. The staff is excellent and are usually quite attentive and helpful. Of course with all places, we did have some problems, like the management not putting the umbrellas back up on Friday after a very windy Wednesday and Thursday. As it was more cloudy on those days, it didn't matter; however, on Friday, it was a clear and sunny day, so umbrellas were definitely needed. Having someone in an office make the decision to keep the umbrellas under lock and key should be reviewed. The restaurant manager intervened and requested that management come out to the pool area to see that the winds did not warrant the umbrellas being locked away. Thankfully they changed their minds and the umbrellas were brought out to the pool area. Thanks, Jorge. Your commitment to customer service is extremely admirable, and should be rewarded by the management of the Royal Haciendas and Royal Resorts. It's people like Jorge that make our stay at the Royals a great vacation everytime.

As we did not visit Playa del Carmen except for one evening, we ate most of our meals at the restaurants at the Royal Haciendas. This was a change of pace for us. While we have our favorite restaurants in Playa, cab fare has gone up to 120 pesos each way, so we decided to stay at the resort more evenings.

We very much enjoyed our meal at Los Murales and with a 20 percent member discount, we felt we should have eaten there another night. I recommended they make the Crab Enchiladas a main entree. It was divine as an appetizer and had it been an entree, I would have changed my order. I did get the Murales Penne, which was penne pasta with crabmeat and alfredo...it was very good and rich; however, I LOVED the crab enchiladas as they were not as filling.

My husband shared my crab enchiladas and also ordered the seafood soup, which was also excellent; however, the portion is huge...it could have been a meal by itself. He also ordered the ribeye, which is a house specialty...funny since the restaurant is basically a seafood restaurant. Unfortunately, his ribeye was very fatty and just not up to par with a house specialty. We were so full from dinner that we decided not to have a dessert. Our bill with wine and gratuity was about $80 US. Considering we did not have to fork out cab fare, we considered it a very good meal.

While normally we have a full villa (two bedrooms, living, dining, kitchen) when we stay in February, we only used a lock-off (bedroom) on this trip. The lock-offs are great if you typically do not plan to do much cooking (microwave, fridge, toaster, coffeemaker included as well as dishes for two) nor plan to be in your room much; however, for longer than a week's stay, we would definitely want more space. Also, the lock-offs only accommodate 2. We were thankful that they put us in an oceanfront lock-off on this trip. It was great to be right on the Caribbean, and we could see Cozumel from our room. The morning sun poured into our room, which is great if your an early bird; however, if you like to sleep in, make sure you pull your curtains ALL the way closed.

We also noticed more families at the Haciendas this time, so perhaps there are more families visiting in the summer. Everyone seemed to have a great time and the only complaints I heard from anyone were regarding the umbrellas on Friday. As that problem was dealt with, our week was an absolutely fabulous way to spend our fourth anniversary.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Due to Hurrican Irene my family and I ended up at the Royal Haciendas. We were at the Royal Islander in Cancun the week before. Other members of my family were already staying at the Haciendas so we joined them and got our own room. We were giving an emergency rate which was nice. The Royal Haciendas is a lovely property. Very clean and great views. The restaurant by the water had great views. Too much seaweed on the beach but they clean it daily. Very clean, great maid service. My biggest complaint is the tile all around the property is very slippery and I fell several times. Everyone in my family fell. I would like more dining options. I stayed at the hotel the whole week and did not chose to do any trips. It was very relaxing.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I exchanged into this resort via II and would do it again without hesitation - I found the units to be as advertised (their website is great for 360 views, floor plans, etc) very well kept (not perfect) and very large. They are a little pushy about mainenance and cleaning when they want to do it but if you say no, they accept no / come back later. I had a 2/2 lockoff and it was only myself and my gilfriend and she was only there for 4 days. It would accomidate a large family very nicely with 2 huge bathrooms, 1 king, 2 queens and 2 murphy beds. The jacuzzi bathtub on the patio was a big treat!. We had a ground floor unit and that was really nice too - although a higher floor would have had beautiful ocean views - no complaints here. The food onsite was really good and the prices were fair. We ordered food to our unit a couple of times and it was fast and as expected for pizza, wings, etc. The drinks at the pool were great and the service from the waiters was even better. The pools are beautiful and the grounds are breathtaking. I walked around on my last day taking pictures of all the oversized planters filled with trees / flowers / water, etc.. just amazing. The location is a bit north of Playa and taxi is $10 each way. I'm not sure I would recommend getting a car - driving in Mexico as a tourist is a risk I'm not sure I want to take (again). There is no bus or collectivo that goes right to the resort. The beach is great for walking on and the water right in front of the resort is swimable but take water shoes as it's a big rocky / sharp rocks in places. They do a good job of keeping the beach clean, etc. We booked several tours from the onsite tour operator after speaking with our personal concierge (nice touch and not pushy) - I recommend Xplor but you might get a better deal booking on a large tour with transportation included or direct on the Xplor website if you are driving yourself. We went to Chichen Itza with them and it was great - we did the smaller / early morning one in a small van and omg the ride was terrible - in the front it was cold, the back was hot - but it didn't take as long, so they said. Hmm I'd go for the more comfortable ride because it's a long drive! Onsite grocery store was good too - we shopped there and did one bigger trip to the local grocery in Playa. Oh and they have an onsite dive operator - those guys were very flirty but fun (not in a disrespectful way); beds were comfortable and showers had great pressure (2 things I care about and hopefully you do too).

In summary - the units, staff and fellow resort guests were great and I would return there with a smile on my face!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends