“Great location, spacious rooms & great for families”

The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #44 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great location, spacious rooms & great for families”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Just spent a week here with a couple other families. Rooms were great, when you get part A&B making the rooms 8 berth. the 6 kids had "sleep overs" which were not an issue due to space. We had a room at the end right near the beach, the ocean fronts were taken but this was the next best thing with Ocean & pool views. When getting your room assignd get as far towards the beach as possible. the weather last week wasnt great but teh room, service & our friends made it a great week away. 10 Minute cab trip(fixed price 140 peso) to downtown (5th Avenue)Playa Del Carmen or a 2.5 mile walk. This place is a time share resort so they do try to make you members, You can rent weeks via Redweek at cheaper price than via Expedia/Hotels.com etc from owners. the Foreigh Exchange is a revenue stream for the hotel, charging everything in US$ at a predermined rate which is 10% less than the rate, eg we were given 12.4 peso to US$, the Airport were offering 13.35, I would suggest paying in peso's wherever possible or pay with Cr card in Peso, not US$. the locals want US$.The onsite shop is slightly inflated as you'd expect for convenience, worth the $10/1400 Peso in Cab to go to local Walmart & you'd recover your cab ride easily in cheaper goods.Played golf at the new local Nick Price golf course as well.All in all this is a spacious, child friendly resort, great pools, great service & right on the beach..

Room Tip: Rooms near beach, book via owners(I'm not one), pay in Peso.Get into town a few times
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MrWiz1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (995)
  • Greek first
Brentwood, California
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We bought into The Royal Haciendas a couple years ago, and have spent our week in May 2010 and May 2011 at this resort. We have loved each stay, and have been treated like VIP's. We are so glad that we have purchased there, and are part of The Royal Family.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view, some have ocean front. There are 4 Phases, which looks like 2 buildin...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Elora, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We love staying at Royal Haciendas. Good staff, good location, good food, good accommodation!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Gaithersburg
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Overall a very good experience. I love the space in the villas, the lovely Mexican hospitality, and the relaxing aspect of a time share resort versus a traditional hotel In general, I think that owners and guests get a better experience with the Royal properties than with many others along the Riviera Maya. However, to keep that experience at a level above the rest, I offer the following as critical feedback versus a "complaint".

I'm going to start with Housekeeping because we consistently have amazing service from that department. We have had the same housekeeper, Margarita, for 5 years now. It's like meeting up with a cousin every year. Between her English and my Spanish, we manage to have great conversations and share pictures and updates of our families. She is also meticulous and I always love the cleanliness of my villa and the special, personal touches she provides. Royal Resorts--take care of this employee, she is a gem!

Food and Beverage: you really need to step it up a notch. Food quality and selection continue to be mediore at best while prices continue to escalate. Breakfast buffet is priced higher than US resort hotels in general but the food at that meal is the best the Haciendas has to offer. Lunch, BBQ, theme nights--very pricey and "same old, same old" in terms of selection and not very tasty. Pool bar food is better, but I have yet to get hot french fries (a pet peeve). I asked several guests who had eaten at Los Murales if their experience was good--most said it was just OK. Restauranteurs in town do a MUCH better job; your F&B business will continue to erode if you don't put some focus on it. We did more cooking in the villa this year than ever because of the price/value of the resort offerings. Take a lesson from the Royal Sands--we have been guests with an owner there for years--their food and beverage is much, much better--something I look forward to at that property (and don't mind paying their prices because of this). However, a shout-out to Javier (Tom Cruise) at the pool bar in Phase 1--great service and great at remembering guests' names and preferences.

Decor: tired. I know that the intent was to create a authentic "hacienda" feel, but the exterior colors and public spaces border on garish instead of a warm, hacienda feel. The concrete spaces are so big and empty. Bring in an interior designer to make this resort look like the 5-star that it is. While you're at it, find a way to brighten up the rooms--the dark tile, wood and granite need to be complemented with some brightness and pops of color. One guest I was speaking to who exhanged said the place (visually) reminded her of a gulag. The restaurants and Rotunda bar are not inviting--La Palapa del Sol feels very cold, almost cafeteria like. My friend commented last year that, from the exterior, it looked like the world's largest Taco Bell. Again, the Haciendas is a world-class resort, don't let the appearance detract from that.

Landscaping: flawless.
Back of the house: from one who works in the business, awesome and, again, flawless. Good job!
Public space cleanliness: flawless inside and out! Nice staff.
La Tienda: always very nice and competitively priced now. Not sure if that is a result of 5th avenue prices skyrocketing tho.
Front Desk Staff: very nice
Concierge staff: OK. However I will qualify that with it seems that every year our concierge changes. I'm not sure what purpose they serve--the front desk could easily handle providing welcome gift and event "passes" at check-in. Beyond that, I see little value in their role. They do like to hang around with each other, though.
Activities staff: Julio the card shark is very entertaining and the casino night is fun thanks to him, but not well-attended. It would be good to focus this team on getting guests to participate more in resort activities. I feel like the staff in general is ambivalent here. There is little interaction with the staff and guests at the Haciendas. I tend to compare this type of vacation with a cruise--have your leadership team take a cruise and see how they interact with the staff and create a lovely 7-day guest experience. Perhaps this is something your concierge staff could focus on

Bell Staff: lovely and attentive.
Management staff: visibly absent--it would be nice to see them interacting more with guests and taking an interest.

Spa: this, along with Food and Beverage, needs the most work. Let me start with I did NOT receive any Spa treatments this year, and I do LOVE a spa experience. I have been consistently disappointed with the quality of treatments at this otherwise beautiful Spa. Prices are higher than I would pay at home and, quite honestly, for what I know if labor rates in Mexico, it doesn't make any sense. Lower the prices and hire some quality spa staff and perhaps your business will improve there. As an example (and ladies, you'll know what I'm talking about) : my friend when into the spa shop to purchase a bottle of OPI Nail Envy. That product is widely available in the US for about $13 to $15 per bottle. The Spa was charging $40 (that's US dollars!!!!) for Nail Envy and $18 for a bottle of OPI Nail Polish ($8.50 US). Trust me when I tell you those products will sit on your shelves forever. What it also tells me is that your spa is completely out of touch with the spa market. Again, in comparison to the Royal Sands' Spa, the Haciendas cannot even begin to compete, I LOVE the spa at The Sands and I have NEVER been disappointed there. I have been disappointed every time at The Haciendas, I will not go back. This may not be an issue for renters as they don't know any better, but we who come every year are not returning customers.

GYM: Very nice equipment; however, too much broken equipment (ellipticals, bikes). Also, please install sanitizing wipes for the guests. While the attendants say they will wipe them down, they don't. Also, another pet peeve--remove the tip box. Guests are not attended to--while there is water and towels, etc, they are completely "self-serve" which is OK, but I'm not sure why the resort is suggesting customers tip in the gym particularly since this is not a complimentary amenity.

Thanks!

Room Tip: This is a large property, depends on your preference, but I would select ground floor close to the p...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Teresa W
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Community Manager at The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking a moment of your valuable time to write your review. Your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

Thank you for the detailed review. I've passed a copy of your comments to the corresponding department managers in order to review and adjust our services as needed.

In regard to your SPA and GYM comments, Mr. Joao Duarte, Corporate SPA Manager, had this to say:

"I appreciate the time you took to give us your feedback and I’m sorry to read that you weren’t satisfied with our services.

In regards to the prices, we used to have different manicure/pedicure brands which were less expensive. Due to several clients suggestions we decided to switch to O.P.I. since it was the brand they were asking for. Unfortunately the products are imported and it’s impossible to have the same prices as in the U.S. The information you provide in regards of the prices will help me to check with our supplier, since the $18 usd is even below our purchase price!

Regarding the gym equipment, we are replacing several cardio machines (including the ones you mentioned) this year. So by the time you come back you will see brand new equipment in the gym. The tip box is in every gym in order four our guests to recognize the extra mile in our employees. Per your comments, clearly this is not being accomplished in this gym, for which we are reinforcing the service attitude in our staff immediately. I’m sure you will notice the difference in your next visit."

We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you back soon.

Warm regards from the Riviera Maya.
Altoona
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Beautiful property. 5 star quality. Units are very large and clean.
daily maid servce. Swim towels furnished. Kitchen is fully stocked with dishes, pots & oans & other neccessary things to cook with.

Room Tip: Can cook in Villa and buy grocieries @ store located on property.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Stockholm Sk
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This is a beutiful resort,the rooms are very clean and has many luxury items! The grounds right to the ocean are imaculate and the pools are gorgeous. The resort has many convienences, stores,restaurants,spa and others. Good Times !!

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny !!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sheldon F
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed in the full room (2 full bedrooms, full kitchen and two pull outs in living room). They can lock off one part for a smaller room. Service was fantastic. The beach was beautiful and the pools roomy. We were there in high season and it still felt like there weren't alot of people around.

It is a time share resort so it is quiet and great for families. They have great activities, and the restaurants had very good food. There is also a small conveniece store in the lobby that carries everything and is at reasoable prices.

The location is very convenient and close to downtown Playa Del Carmen. Daily room cleaning except on Sunday's. They have a wonderful concierge service that booked one of our day tours and billed it to our room.

My one complaint was that they wanted me to buy an internet pay card just to print out my boarding passes for my return flight home. I was a bit annoyed due to most resorts or hotels having a computer station dedicated for boarding passes or will do that complimentary. Even if I had to pay $1 for the paper it was printed on. But to buy a $10 internet usage card for that??? Minor I know...

We are talking about going back next year!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Dubi43
Dear Guest:

I passed a copy of your comments to management and was informed that they will reinforce with Front Desk staff the fact that resort guests can print their boarding passes without having to buy a prepaid card. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Having said that, I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the kind words towards our service and facilities.

We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you back soon.

Warm regards from the Riviera Maya.