“Banana Monkeys at the Pool Bar Every Day!”

The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #50 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We had sucha a wonderful stay at the Royal Haciendas. We are owners but banked one of our weeks through Interval so we could have two villas at once and bring some friends down with us. The service was great, everyone was friendly and we alternated our time between the beach, pool (love the pool bar's banana monkey drinks) and our villa's hot tub. We went to Walmart on the second day and stocked up on food and booze whihc helped save some money. I found the market to be a little pricey, but we ended up buying a few things there including the coffee (Tazzo?) which is excellent (and not sold at walmat for some reason). We ate breakfast and lunch in the villas and dinner in the big palapa restaurant or down on 5th avenue. It's still a little annoying that the resort's free shuttle to 5th avenue doesnt run after 5pm but a cab ride isn't too expensive. The spa is EXCELLENT. Wait until they come down to the beach with deals. Omar and Veronica were great massuses. All of our freidns loved the resort and we can't wait for our next trip down to Playa.

Room Tip: the closer to the center arm and beach/pool, the better.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa

Reviewed 11 June 2012

the haciendas are only 10 min from playa del C, nice beach but the sea is not as nice to swim in as other areas (lots of seaweed). Plenty of sunbeds at both beach as poolside. The Los Murales restaurant serves very nice food, of a lot higher standard than the main restaurant and not much more expensive (if you like a la carte). Good service in both restataurants, and bars.
Appartments are very nice exept the kitchen is a bit old fashioned and the kitchentools are limmited and of a low standard. A washingmachine in the appartments (like most Marriots have) would be nice.
Would come back as long as they won't start with all inclusive.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This was a first visit to a Royal and a second visit to the Riviera Maya. As many have said, the cleanliness stands out. Having free daily maid service that you don't get in US timeshares is awesome. We traded via Interval where oftentimes we are assigned the worse of rooms even though we are trading Thanksgiving week of Oceana Palms, one of the nicest roomiest timeshares existing in the US. Not so here. We were assigned room 208 in Phase I & not knowing whether all the phase I villas had been remodeled yet, I requested an upper floor in Phase II and Royal accomodated at no extra charge. The hotel was 70% full and yet the very large pools were never crowded and we always found pool and ocean chairs with an umbrella whenever we wanted. The pools are a little over 4 feet deep with a large shallow portion...so the kids pools are completely unused, but they look pretty. Swim up bars in both pools and the water temp was perfect the whole time we were there. The hot tubs weren't hot, but no one would have ever used them if they were because it didn't get cool enough at night. The locals told us that about once every 8 years the rainy season comes early and it came early this year, but we were quite lucky and it was overcast with rain only one day. Unfortunately, the storms out at sea left the ocean murky and with some areas abundant with rock, unable to see the best spots to enter the ocean. The waves here are the pefect fun size too. There was alot of seaweed that has just a little bit of stink to it. Mon-Fri they clean it off the beach. By our last day, that beautiful caribbean color came back into view. If you are a beach walker or runner, the beach goes on forever and the sand is firm and white and soft. Really truly paradise. If swimming in the ocean is important to you, plan on skipping the rainy season even though rains are short and not every day. There were no shells. The amount and size of driftwood that came in each night was WOW. There is a 30 foot tree caught on the rocks that came in while we were there....look just to the south of the royal property. The best ocean for swimming is south of the hotel in front of the dive shop, a short walk, no seaweed and no rocks, 1 1/2 foot waves. Taxi's from town to hotel after the free shuttle stops is 140 pesos. USE PESOS otherwise you will be asked for $12-14 US. At the airport shop I paid over $13 for a paperback book. The exchange rate was 13.28 pesos per dollar. The clerk cleaned out her register to give me american change for my $20 bill - lots and lots of quarters. So TAKE PESOS. You have a lot of time in the airport and they have lots and lots of shops. We used USA transport to get to and from the hotel/airport. It was fabulous. $109, made the reservation before we left home. Highly recommended. The food in the hotel is very very good. I don't like the inflexibility of all inclusive, but it wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience here and would save money. Oriental night at La Palapa was actually really good! 302 pesos for the theme buffet every night was very reasonable and the buffet is so varied that you could always find a lovely meal in it. We went into town twice for dinner and although it was good, it was more expensive and there seemed to be mostly italian restaurants. I really enjoyed the unusual food at a mayan restaurant Yaxchi. I know the Royal Resorts management is reading this review, so I want to say when you are ready to update the units again, please add a little color for cheerfulness. I know you were aiming for upscale refinement, but I found the brown bedspreads, brown rugs, dull fabrics, colorless art, brown tile, dark gold drapery just a bit depressing. I'm in Mexico! I'm in the caribbean! Show me those caribbean colors! I loved my concierge Sophia. We thank you for taking us to Cancun one day and showing us the Royal Cancun. We thank you for including us in some of the member only parties. There is only one serious complaint that I ask you speak to housekeeping about...on three separate days they left our balcony doors unlocked. Being on the top floor and using our excellent working safe, there probably was not much of a theft risk, but for others the risk would have been more significant and theft is the major cause of your negative reviews on trip advisor. I had a couple nights when the internet was too slow to use AND someone tried to break into my computer via your wifi connection during my stay. Interesting it was to watch! So folks, be sure your notebook is adequately protected before logging on. Just a few other pieces of useful info. There is no washer dryer in the individual villas and a load of wash at the laundry facility is $1 soap, $2.80 washer, $2.80 dryer. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner. There is soap and hairdryer. The store on site is wonderful and has everything you need at prices less than home. Tazzo coffee was $5 / lb. And tasted better than anything I can get at home. Decaf available too. Don't bother going to the orientation when you could be at that lovely pool. Don't bother with the welcome party, there is no food served and only free rum and coke, although you get a wrist band that extends happy hour for you. If you get invited to the taco party (members only?), go. Ask what the special drink is every day, it's two for one. The tequla sunrise was very good. All the tequila drinks are strong. The banana monkeys are excellent. The drinks are large and much less than resorts in the US. Pina colado's are weak but delicious. Before you book an excursion check with your concierge to see if she has any discount tickets. Remember that all the sports equipment is free - kayaks, snorkling gear etc. This is truly a resort you will not regret booking. The Riviera Maya's geological features and beauty and the historic sites, the golf, the low prices. There just can't be any place in the world better to vacation. The caribbean is just so much more beautiful than the Gulf or the Pacific and hurricanes strike less frequently here. Oh yes and drink all the tap water you want in this resort - but order your drinks no ice in town.

Room Tip: They are all very good rooms. Ask for top floor and the master bedroom is a bit larger and the ceil...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank auriasis
Reviewed 9 June 2012

This was our second visit to our home away from home at the Royal Haciendas. The resort is first class in every area...service, amenities, views, and things to do. We couldn't be happier being a member at the Royal Haciendas. We never come away disappointed with out stay. The staff is always helpful in every way, Snorkeling is close by, the beach is spectacular and because we live in the desert it's always a highlight to spend time experiencing something we never get to see....turquoise water and white pristine sand. Whether you're relaxing or seeking new adventures the Riviera Maya has whatever you're looking for to fill your heart's desire. Can't wait for our next vacation in Paradise.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank cljay_12
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We just got back from some time in Quintana Roo and this was our first time in the area. We are owners at the Royal Sands and we decided to spend a few days at the resort and play a round of golf at the new Grand Coral golf course. Like with all of the Royal Resorts properties the place is well taken care of. My first thoughts were that this resort is very quiet. It has 2 restaurants a bar and a small area for dancing. The villas are sweet. The area that is totally different from the other resorts is the bathroom area. It has a tub that you can actually take a bath in.
The issues I did have was how far the units were from the pools and beach. Another issue is the rotunda bar. I know you are on vacation but if the NBA playoffs are on TV you want to try and watch it and have some drinks. We went down to watch the game and the size of the TV was not very big and hard to see. The next night the game was on TNT and I was going to watch it in the room. I went to turn the game on, to TNT and it was not available. I called the front desk and I was told that the game is only on in the bar. I really enjoy the royal resorts and I think I will eventually grow to enjoy this great resort.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BIG-E-FROM-COLORADO
Reviewed 8 June 2012

This is our first time in the Riviera Maya area in over fifteen years and it was great. The Resort was first class and the staff were fantastic. We were able to stay as busy or as relaxed as we wanted to. Highly recommend for families.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2012

This resort is the perfect spot to relax, get sun and enjoy the ocean or pool. Staff easily speaks English. The unit is very clean and seen to daily. Great food and drinks on the premises. A short distance from Playa Del Carmen is done with scheduled shuttles. Beautiful beach and huge pools. No shortage of supplies. Adequate quick store on premises. WiFi in the unit.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple