“What a Great Hotel!”

Ranked #6 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Australia
“What a Great Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

This has to be one of the best all-round hotels in Playa del Carmen. It really deserves its top rating. Everyone has pretty much said it all in previous reviews.

It is no wonder we met so many repeat guests. Even the taxi driver told me that most people who come to this hotel have stayed here many times!

Add me to the list of satisfied customers who will be back.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RTWTripping
, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
Dear RTW tripping,
We are very honored to have such seasoned travelers as yourselves to write such a positive review for Petit Lafitte.
We will find motivation and inspiration in your words, because we believe that luxury can be redefined in excellent presonalized servce, excellent food, using fresh produce and treating our guests like real friends.
So hearing you say that you consider us the best all around hotel in Playa is only fuel to our efforts.
Thank you for providing it. As far as us counting you among our repeat satisfied clients who will comeback, well ... Sure, as far as we are concerned you are now part of the family.

Best wishes and happy travels,

Iván Fuentes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Turkish first
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

This was our second stay in eight months. We spent our honeymoon here last year and couldn't wait to return. Small, quiet, great food, excellent staff. We felt like we were returning to see family. My wife and I stayed in a room this time rather than a bungalow as there wasn't one available since we booked late. The room was very nice. We wish the mattress had not been so hard, but that would never keep us from returning. We are so fond of David and Javier; in fact, the entire staff is just amazing. The beach is beautiful, plenty of loungers, and the pool is sparkling and clean. We can't wait to return yet again.

Ron and Susie Stockbauer

Room Tip: Bungalow Nine is the best!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RonSusieStockbauer
, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Dear Ron and Susie,
Family here!
Hey, just wanted to thank you for posting such a lovely review for Petit Laffite, we deeply appreciate it.
Beyond that, the fact that you returned here after your honeymoon 8 months ago, says more to us than any words can say. I am sure the readers will also understand it so.
David, Javier and Jesus say hi, and say thank you.

We hope to see you again next year of perhaps, sooner, need special anniversary prices? Just let me know.

Best Regards,

Tenafly, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

This hotel is a small and beautiful hotel. I stayed here with my 2 kids and my wife in a bungalow. One of the best parts about this hotel is it has great food like fresh fruit. It also had dinner. The beach is very pretty and I loved it. The bungalow was right on the beach. It also had beautiful plants and flowers. It also had a pool and a small zoo. The rooms didn't really hawe to them, that didn't really matter. This place was great!!

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Bradlo2
, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Hola Bradl02,

Thank you for putting your family vacation, in our hands.
We are happy to see that you had a lovely time and liked the beach, the food, the zoo, plants and flowers. Thank you for sharing your comments with others, adn for recommending us.
Hope to see you again in the nea future.

san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

Ok, Petit Lafitte is, Small, Quite, great food, good wifi, looks 100% like photos
including the Towel as animal on bed, which changes each day. If you want to relax, read a book or go play in town, or water parks...but bring your Kindle, Net flicks, computer not a problem.
Food out side eating always by the water or water view. Fine Dining dinners presented like any 5 star place. Tacos beach side for lunch, just like any taco stand. Great people remember your name and room number with in a day, NO Shoes No problem, once I got in took off shoes
and never to see them again, sand to my bungalow, even dinner no one cared.

THIS HOTEL IS LIKE ALL YOU READ HERE AND 100% LAID BACK RELAXING, BUT IF YOU WANT THE LARGE RESORT LIFE STYLE FORGET IT.
GREG

Room Tip: Bunglows do not have tv, net flicks works great, and online radio bring your computer.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DiveMasterSD
, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Hi Greg,
Thank you so much for your thoughtful review.
We are gald you liked Petit Lafitte and decided to share your comments with others.
Thank you for making it clear, in terms of what we are and what we are not, and also for asying we look exactly like our photos!!!
We are about the littel details, remembering our geusts names, you favorite cocktail or allergies.
I am so glad you noticed that.
I hope you and your family had a pleasant trip back home and that you always keep in mind that we are honored to be your second home.
Looking forward to your return,

Iván Fuentes and all the staff.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

We were in Playa del Carmen for a wedding and stayed at the Petite for 4 nights in one of the hotel rooms (not a bungalow). I really enjoyed my stay; the staff was very kind and attentive and the service and cleanliness excellent and we certainly couldn't argue with the room price. Petite is an older property so it definitely had a "Retro Mexico" charm to it including older plumbing that couldn't handle TP being flushed; not a huge deal but my wife had trouble accepting the necessity.
We got the plan that included breakfast which was fairly good (inclusive dinners are also an option). The tacos at the beach-side bar's grill were OUTSTANDING and very reasonable priced for a hotel. Also beer and drink prices were pretty decent too.
One important thing to take into consideration for this property is that is fairly secluded; walking down the beach to other locations is very easy but once you're there the set up of the "roads" getting in and out make going anywhere else a bit of a process. So while it's very peaceful, I would recommend this hotel as much more of a retreat for a peaceful relaxing time than as a home base for an activity filled trip. You're not going to be able to walk anywhere close out of the front door and if you plan on taking a cab anywhere make sure you call the front desk well in advance.
Also don't forget the sunscreen and the bug spray!

Room Tip: If I went back I would try a bungalow.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank bofarr
, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear bofarr,
Thank you for all the comments you make for Petit Lafitte, we are glad to see you liked the property. In general terms and that had fun at the wedding you attended.
I just would like to clarify on your comment that Petit Lafitte is an older property, that Petit Lafitte comprehends two sections, the hotel room section, (5 three story buildings, with 6 rooms each) and the Bungalow section, 20 Bungalows.
While the room section is around 20 years old, the Bungalow section was finished in 2009.
So the older property comment would be correct when considering the room section, which, by the way has been subject of yearly renovations, new matresses, ceiling fans, TVs, fridges, and such.
Another thing worth clarifying is that we are 10-15 minutes by car from the center of town.
That could be seen like a blessing, since we don't have the ammount of traffic, vendors, dogs, four wheel motorcycles and noise on the beach that the hotels in Playa del Carmen have, thus having a more quiet and secluded atmosphere.
For sight seeing, most attactions are also outside of town, for example Tulum is 50 min south of Playa, so the added 10 min from Petit is not a mayor difference, even when staying in Playa del Carmen, you'd need a car to get to Tulum, Cobá, Xelha, Xcaret and such. again, having a 4-7 day quiet beach with less traffic seems more desirable.
Now, if it is night life, discos, bars, more restaurants, and shopping, yes any hotel in Playa del Carmen, would be more convenientely located, fair to admit.

I am glad that you appreciated the service and food, those are primary items in our product and is nice to hear that our work is noticed.

Thanks again for your review and for trying Petit Lafitte.

Kind Regards,

Iván Fuentes
Champaign, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at Petit Lafitte for a family wedding...we were thrown a bit by the name, expecting a cheesy noisy family place but it was the BEST...for families, adults, and other nice people. David was great and knew us by name after the first 1/2 hour. The location of the pool, the rooms, the beach and bar....and the wonderful breakfast spot ...all were perfect. We intend to return as soon as we can....hopefully at Christmas time. Thank you, Petit Lafitte.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ann B
, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear Ann B,

So I guess we both lucked out from the fact that the wedding of your family members, was here!
That way you became aware of each other's existence.
I am so glad you think highly of us, and more so because you shared your opinion with others.
Yes, for those who judge places by their name, don't be fooled, this is not a pirate theme park, it is a family operated type beach resort, that caters to all kinds of travelers, couples, families, sigle travelers, of all ages and phylosophies.

Ann, I am glad you found us and now wish to return for Christmas. It will be a great honor to see your faces again when you jump of the airpot shuttle van.

Once more, thank you for taking the time to write your review.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

We still can't stop talking about our time at Petit Lafitte! We had our wedding "rehearsal" dinner here on May 4, and it was a blast!

We have been coming to the Mayan Riviera area for several years and had always stayed on the beach near Petit Lafitte. We would even regularly visit the beach in front of Petit Lafitte because it is a nice, calm stretch of sand on Playa Xcalacoco. I think perhaps we overlooked this property at first because of the pirate theme on the website. We thought it was either heavily catered to kids or people who love pirates? I won't lie; we can be Manhattan snobs ;)

But as we were planning our wedding at a neighboring boutique hotel, we opened up to the idea of having the "spillover" of guests from the small boutique hotel stay at Petit Lafitte. We also wanted our favorite taco place in Playa del Carmen, Don Sirloin, to cater our rehearsal dinner and our wedding hotel wasn't allowing outside catering so we thought we'd ask about the possibility at Petit Lafitte.

We met with Ivan, the general manager, at Petit Lafitte's bar. It was such a nice, casual conversation about the history of the place, his family, our lives, and our wedding plans. Ivan was totally open to the idea of Don Sirloin providing food for the dinner. He also got us very excited about additional unique and fun touches for our event. My husband and I were thrilled that we would be able to enjoy our favorite tacos outside at such a pretty beach. We did not anticipate how fantastic our beach dinner would be beyond the tacos.

Ivan helped us plan what would be soon described by guests as an "EPIC rehearsal dinner". We had signature mojito and margarita drinks and open bar with the nicest bartenders ever, authentic Mayan dancers introducing the cochinita (slow-roasted pork that was cooked under the sand), Petit Lafitte's AMAZING ceviche, people rocking the karaoke, and my favorite must-have pinata. If you ever want to host a fantastic party on the beach, speak to Ivan. He is so open to ideas and really works to make things happen. Things work differently and at a slower pace in Mexico than in New York, and Ivan is such a laid back guy, that we admit to getting a bit anxious at times. But everything came together beautifully! If you are like us and just need to know where things are at at all times, I just recommend letting Ivan know that's your style. He can certainly accommodate your needs! Highly, highly recommend this place for an event! ALSO, the food is amazing. We have dealt with a lot of hotels in tourist areas trying to create Mexican fusion or complicate a traditional meal. Not here. I looked forward to breakfast every morning, with the fresh fruits and options of delicious entrees. And the lunch items were the basic, go-to, comfort Mexican food that I was craving. The tacos and I will keep mentioning the ceviche! My husband and I (along with many of the wedding guests) would make the short walk down the beach just to hit up the bar and eat the ceviche!! The cherry on top was that the prices for the food and drinks were reasonable!

In terms of the hotel, we wanted to know first hand what our wedding guests would be experiencing, so we stayed there in December 2011 and again right before our wedding in May. We tried out the Ocean View Premium Room and a Garden Bungalow. The room was very simple and clean. We loved that there was actually a mini refrigerator to keep any beverages in. My favorite thing was waking up to the sounds of the ocean and seeing the sun rise in the morning. If I were to stay there again, I would get a bungalow. They are quaint and rustic. You get a cabin-on-the-beach feel. I enjoyed the space in the bungalow....the large porch outside was nice, too. Both the room and the bungalow (I believe every unit in the hotel) had A/C.

But what draws us back to this establishment is not just the easy access to a pristine beach or an on-site dive shop; it is the personalization. We love that the staff knows you by your name. You can go by the bar and see Victor, who will remember that you love the ceviche and micheladas. The workers at the hotel smile and make you feel welcome. During your stay at Petit Lafitte, you will like family. And I know that is how many guests feel. We know because we run into guests who have been coming for several decades. We know because we see the reunions with families and staff who have seen the kids coming to Petit Lafitte...before they were even born! That really impressed us. And the sentiments of our wedding guests also reflected what we saw. They loved the friendly atmosphere and were enthusiastic about returning to Petit Lafitte for a future trip. It's good for couples, friends, and totally kid-friendly.

Our family was so happy with the experience at Petit Lafitte that we hope to plan a yearly reunion there. If you want a place that seems to care about your enjoyment, proves to be a great value with affordable rates, isn't all about nickel and diming you, and has a beautiful and relaxing environment, definitely look past the pirate theme and visit Petit Lafitte!

Room Tip: Go for a bungalow!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Erica C
, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear Echo 366,

We also enjoyed so much your company and the company of your family and friends,
Creating an "Epic" rehearsal dinner, with all those activities including your "Pucca" piñata, was an easy task given your willing to contribute, collaborate and trust.
Thank you for all the nice comments for the staff and for myself.
We are a family operated type resort and are glad to be able to meet the expectations of sifisticated guests like you, I gather that coming from NYC, you were looking for a more authentic, Mexican experience, and for us, that means beginning with things that money can't buy, I mean, smiles, I mean remembering your names, the fact that you like Micheladas, and Ceviche, perhaps that is why as you mention, guest who discover us, tend to return year after year and couples that honey mooned here in the 90s are now family travelers with their young children experienceing Lafitte as well. We are hoping that your foresought family reunion, becomes the tradition, in years to come, just as the cases you mention.
Before I sign off, I'd just like to say thank you again for your company, for trying us, liking us and telling others about Petit Lafitte.
Enjoy your life together and may your days be long and filled with wonderful experiences.

Warm Regards.