“Great Steak, Great Service, Bad Patrons”
Review of Sur Steakhouse

Sur Steakhouse
Ranked #19 of 1,504 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Price range: US$40 - US$60
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Calle 12 & 14
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Steak was fantastic.

Service was top-notch.

Wonderful.

Two bad things happened here - one is forgivable and I get it - one is not the restaurant's fault.

Bad thing #1 - I ordered a medium-rare cowbody steak. It came medium well. That's a mistake that happens. Waiter mis-heard me. It happens. It was super busy so I didn't bother them to fix it because...

Here's the thing - my wife ordered medium but she likes a well-done steak. She ordered medium because you just don't order a steak well done. So we just switched and I ate hers, she ate mine. All worked out well. Tasty steak.

I'm still giving SUR 5 stars because it was high quality meat. The service was top-noch (minus the cooking mix-up), and their drinks were fantastic and not as watered-down as you would expect in Playa.

Bad Thing #2 - The 23 year-old basketball short wearing selfish, clueless pricks sitting next to us.

They weren't rude to us.

They were rude to the waitstaff.

And they actually reached over on to a tray that had bread on it - a waiter was getting ready to serve it to another table - and took it off for themselves. They already had break. They needed more. They didn't ask. They just took it.

Seriously.

If you are that person - and you do this - don't ever eat out in public again,

Rethink the impact you have on the people around you.

Rethink the pain in the butt you put that waiter through when he turned around to find out that you nabbed the bread he just promised to another table.

Rethink your whole life and don't ever travel to another country again, just keep living in your frat boy bubble until you're 45 and you realize you have no real skills to cope in the world.

Because you are doing it wrong.

If you're the kind of person who does what I just described, you need to stop.

It didn't impact me, but it did impact my dining experience because I was outright disgusted with your behavior. You're the reason tourists have a bad reputation.

Anyway -

SUR is the best steakhouse we enjoyed in Playa del Carmen during our trip. I will be back.

I know you're on vacation but treat them well.

1  Thank PeteTravelsAround
Write a ReviewReviews (1,887)

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Our first night in playa we walked a block and found this place. Great food. Girls had sushi. Large rolls. Great quality. I had the catch of the day. Sea bass. Excellent. Big portions. Top service. Very classy place. Great drinks. On the more expensive side but worth it.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Jorge was so kind and nice and the steak was great!!!
Go there for lunch evening or whenever you are hungry :)

Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

Best service and food in the heart of 5th avenue. Perhaps the best service we have ever received in any restaurant here or in the states@

Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I took a break from shopping and walking late afternoon to enjoy a bottle of rosé at a table on the street. Carlos was affable, friendly, more than hospitable, and even entertained us with a couple of funny stories. He gave us a wonderful experience, and attended our every need. The atmosphere is lovely and the empanadas, bread and variety of sauces and condiments were delicious and fun to explore. Great place to wind down after the hustle and bustle in the tourist zone, even though it is in the midst of the action.