“Resort lied to my travel agent”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #74 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Resort lied to my travel agent”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I stayed at this resort in Febuary. I booked a junior yuakatan suite as they had internet in your room which I checked regularly for my business which I left my son in charge of. The internet didn't work the entire week I was there. I asked them to fix it and they said they were working on it all week. Our pillows smelled of mold and there was no pillow menu as advertised. The lower rooms were also moldy. We moved down to the first floor the second day as after my knee surgery and no elevators I couldn't do the steps, they put us in one of the few corner rooms with no swim out, so not to give us anything special and the room had spiders from the bush surrounding it (big ones) with aracnaphobia I had to move back upstairs, which pissed them off besides the downstairs rooms air was broken and it was moldy too. They never helped us move and told us to wait bell hop which never came after an hour. Finally we walked to the desk and got the key ourselves and moved ourselves. Whenever we asked about these problems the front desk was kind of rude and put off by it. We felt like the servers and entertainers were the only people that cared about the resort and the guest. When I complained to my travel agent, she said the resort said we were the only ones who complained and sent me their email. Which also said the internet worked all week. 6 other people told us about their internet not working either and the concierge also told us he had many complaints.

Room Tip: junior suite swimouts are in good location. The deluxe platinum you either have to shuttle to dinner...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Rose T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,389)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I stayed at this resort for the July 4th holiday and would visit again only for the hotel staff that was 24/7 on their toes maintaining this massive property. The restaurant and bar staff was also very friendly. We stayed in a Jr. Suite and was worth every penny. If we could have upgraded to Deluxe or Villa room, it would still be worth it. If you stay in all inclusive, no matter where you stay, food is always average. But we still found plenty to eat. Bottom line - Long walk to beach, rocky first 50 meters, but plenty of shades and food/bar on the beach. Buffet food is ok, but some of the restaurants are good. Very helpful staff. Great location and beautifully maintained property. Whether you tip or not, you will always see a smile on every staff.

Room Tip: If you are going to be on the beach only once a day, choose a room closer to the reception where mos...
4 Thank TChicago2012
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We went to grand sunset princess last week of june. I'll try to make this short and sweet. If you have been reading reviews, most of them are pretty accurate. Resort is massive. Probably 10 minute walk from one end of the resort to the other.

Beach is not good, very rocky. As others have posted, if you bring water-shoes, you won't have any problems at all. My gf and are are beach people but we found ourselves not in there as often because of the rocks and the hassles to use water-shoes. They also serve food on the beach and has a beach bar.

Chillout- We also paid $11 per person per day to relax in the roped off area of the beach with personal wait staff. Well worth the price! Only downside is that they don't serve food there (there is a menu but there is an extra charge for the food).

Room- jr deluxe, room was really nice, clean and well kept. book in the 2000 buildings to be closer to the middle of the resort. We loved it because we could go to the beach in the afternoon, come back get changed and showered and head to the front of the resort. Everything besides 2 restaurants, is located at the front of the resort, so if you have problems with walking, i would book closer to the front of the resort. There is a tram that goes around every 15 minutes, but we only took it once because most times there was alot of people waiting for the tram and it only took about 5 min to get our room.

Food- again, as most people stated, it is not the place to go if you expect 5 star food service. I always found something to eat at the buffet, but the restauratns are not the greatest. However, i have been to cuba and dominican several times each and if you can survive eating in cuba, you will be fine here. All dining areas are air conditioned which was a nice change from cuba/dominican.

Service- service depended on the bartender. Some gave you better service if you tipped, but some didn't. We generally tipped everyone as long as the service was ok.

Playa Del Carman- There is a free shuttle that will take you to playdelcarman but you have to book at 8am the day before because it fills very fast. We chose to cab it in and out for $18-20, so we weren't committed to their times. One thing worth checking out for kids, is there is a "fish spa" on 5th avenue. My gf really wanted to try it. Its suppose to give a therapeutic effect and costs $15 for 15 min or $20 for 2 people for 15 min. It was fairly hygenic because they wash your feet with soap and water before you can use the spa and the water was really clear.

Excursions
We booked through sungwing to 2 excursions. Xplor and Xel-Ha. both are full day excursions.
Xplor-It's like a natural amusement park. They had ziplines through the tree tops, atv's that you drive through caves, paddle boats, and swimming through the cenotes (Caves). Theres alot to do and you probably won't have time to do everything in one day. Theres 2 tracks for everything. After doing the first track of ziplines, it took about 1-1.5 hours, and is very tiring, it is literally ziplines after ziplines, and some of them you go through the water and waterfalls. Watershoes work well here.
Xel-Ha- more relaxing excursion, its situated in a blue lagoon area, where it is mandatory to wear life jackets. You can snorkel, jump off small cliffs into the water, or relax on a tube like a lazy river. You can also bike around the area and swim with dolphins etc. They even have kite flying at 4pm for kids.

Pro's
-beautiful resort
-good entertainment staff
-tons of places to eat
-close to playa del carmen
-24 hr sports bar (Food and drinks)
-service is good

Cons
-food (but you'll find things to eat if your not picky)
-long walk
-beach is really rocky.

Overall- great resort, food is ok but you can find something to eat. Beach is not the greatest but the pools are huge and all interconnected. We don't generally go to the same resort twice but i would recommend it to others!

Room Tip: 2000 building is in the middle of the resort.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank tonyh274
New York, NY
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I booked this trip when invited by a group of friends. We booked a few weeks later than the rest and due to budget limitations had to arrive a day later than they did.

We (1 adult/2-13 y/o children) arrived 6/29/12 approximately 1:30 to find that we were located in a different building than our travel group, despite requesting to be together. We were offered a king bed and extra cot in their building so we took it and it worked out fine. We got our wristbands, changed in the lobby bathroom and headed to meet our friends at the pool. Meanwhile, our bags were promptly delivered to our room.

We had paid for a Jr Suite primarily to be able to have the upgraded restaurants to choose from. Booking the restaurants proved to be a challenge in that they had to be booked a few days in advance and our travel group couldn't add us to their reservation until after we arrived. As a result we ended up having to eat in the buffet the first 2 nights we were there (we didn't really mind). Thanks to one very tenacious friend we were able to dine with our group the rest of the time otherwise we would have been out of luck. When we first tried to add my 3 to the group reservations for nights 3-5 we were told that the restaurants were "booked to capacity", but when we arrived they were at least 30% empty in every case.

We were a large group (23 total) and twice had to stagger our reservations over a 30 minute period (Hibachi and Steak House) so we were there together, but not seated together or at the same time. The rest of the time we were accommodated as a large group split between a kids table(s) and a grown-ups table. It worked out nicely.

Note to men: you MUST wear long pants to the restaurants (or buy a pair for $80 in the gift shop). One of our party was refused seating at the seafood restaurant(then bought the pants), and we witnessed more than a few problems with other male diners as well throughout our stay. They DO NOT allow exceptions.

The resort itself is very nice, pretty, and well maintained. It is huge so there is a lot of walking to the pools, beach and restaurants. Our teenagers all loved the sports bar, but aside from that there is little to occupy a 12-17 year old. Wish there had been, but at least the place is safe and the kids were able to move about the resort freely. We also did the snorkeling trip (1 hr $35) which everyone enjoyed. We also found that the kids had to tip more often that we did in order to get served - especially at the swim-up bars where it would routinely take them 10-20 minutes to get a soda.

One word of advice, especially if traveling with a group: get up early to save some pool side chairs. They go quickly. You aren't supposed to reserved them, but we found we needed to given the size of our group. We found that people tend to like a certain areas (some pools seem more family friendly/others more party oriented) and end up there each day, so you can generally grab a few chairs early AM, leave your towels/books etc. then go back to your room or head to breakfast. However we did have our chairs taken a few times on the beach. Our own fault really as we grabbed them at 6 am then didn't sit in them till after noon.

Overall, the resort was what we expected, they did a great job in some areas - less so in others - but we'd recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Margaret C
Buda, Texas
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Arrival Cancun airport June 26 early morning. Everything went smoothly. Prepare for the Gauntlet of Sales folks to weave past who want to try to sell you a ride, excursion, etc. I prepared my 8 & 12 year old to walk quickly, follow closely to whom I knew would be giving us transportation to our hotel one hour south to Playa Del Carmen. Only err was stopping at the bar outside for a margarita which cost about $13.00. Beer was less expensive.
Once in route everything went very smoothly. I love Best Day Travel. This is the second time we utilized their transportation services and purchased excursions at their table in the hotel lobby. They are courteous, helpful and always without a hitch!
Once we arrived at the Grand Riviera (Sunset is on the other side) we waited in line to check in. We couldn't check into our room yet, but they gave us our wrist bands for all inclusive, we had packed our swimsuits, etc separately knowing this would happen and we were able to have them hold our bags til check in around 2:30 and change in the hotel lobby restrooms and head out to the pools. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous! Right away we noticed all the beautiful landscaping and iguanas roaming the grounds on our way to the pool. The foyer is totally open rather a minus when it's boiling hot and muggy there are no air conditioned cocktail lounge areas, so we did sweat a bit during the week! We found out from another guest he was upgraded and he invited us to join him and his family at the air conditioned lounge one evening, however we were tired and turned in. This hotel is absolutely gorgeous, love the architecture, amenities, grounds, pools, beach. Food at restaurants that required a reservation were very good. Much better than the walk in buffets, however, we did find it VERY inconvenient to book these as each day we would be way out at the beach (15 min walk from beach back to lobby) My boyfriend whom traveled with us did not pack one pair of pants or slacks so he could not eat dinner with us all week if we ate at reserved restaurants. Two nights he went to buffet and we kept our reservations. Fondue restaurant was one of the best! Overall this resort is beautiful, just too large for our taste to return. There was a lot of time wasted walking back and forth from our room to the lobby for things at store, front desk, best day reservations, dinner reservations, or cocktails. They do a great job cleaning up after everyone at the end of the evening. People were terrible about not throwing out their plastic cups when finished with their drinks and by end of evening every pool is stacked up and surrounded by plastic cups and straws. Beach is truly awesome, fun food at the cabana out there each day, great burgers, hot dogs, and something they make in a wok (each day different) like chorizo and eggs, or one day shrimp with rice! Bar is great, and speedy. Vendors are chocked up and down the beach, I found they were not terribly pushy which was nice. You can get a 60 massage out there for as little as $40!! My young daughters had their hair braided very cute both for about $60. and they threw in a free one for Mom. Henna tatoos were pretty affordable. My daughter got a couple of dolphins for about 10.00 Take your goggles and snorkle to the beach, fish are not abundant as some other sorkeling areas but we did see some pretty fish and stingrays. Back to the room. Mini Bar was a dissapointment. Last all inclusive we stayed at (Cozumel Palace) bar was stocked very well. Here, you can only expect a few sodas, and a couple of beers. Tip- They make the drinks weak at the bars, but are awesome when you request they make it stronger. I just asked for every drink I ordered to be strong such and such. Back to the rooms. Rooms were superb. We had two double beds, nice linens, pillows, ammenities and bathrooms. Beds were a bit firm but liveable. Rooms were clean and air conditioning worked fabulously! Patios are very nice as well. Recommend you take biodegradeable sun screen with you so you don't have to purchase this type and pay more after you get there. Also want to mention we only made it to one outdoor pre show. It was terrific I must say, called a "fire show" good costumes and talent. Dissapointed entertainment is so far from the room and that we then had to move in to a theatre. Everynight we were just too tired from excursions to make the switch and bowed out. Great great excursions with Go Natural Adventures And Expeditions to Chichen Itza. Long drive, great tour! Be prepared for an enormous gauntlet of folks whom have tables set up all over the park and do ask you to "take a look" A little more aggressive here than the airport. Another fantastic excursion for families is Xel-Ha. Our girls swam with dolphins here (very expensive) and even more so when you get out of the water after spending $375 and you can spend another 300 on photos. I bought them but wish they were smaller all photos offered everywhere are typically 9 by 10 wish they were all 5 by 7 or smaller. Hard not to buy them when they all turn out so good! All in all we have great memories, had a great trip, but still prefer Cozumel Palace, just wish it had a beach there.

Room Tip: If I returned I would choose to be midway or closer to lobby.
3 Thank budahairco
Alliston
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Wonderful hotel to relax. Service amazing. The swim out section for adults was wonderful. Room Service fantastic. Beach is a drawback as their is seagrass in some areas. However, this beach is great for children as it is shallow for a very long way out. We had a great time. Hope you do too!!!

Room Tip: Book Swim out room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Heather D
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Fist off, let me say I am not a picky traveller and usually staying a 3 star. However, we decided to go all out this time. That being said, I was disappointed. My husband and I stayed at this hotel July 1-8th with our two sons. I was expecting more for the beach for this hotel rating. You have to get up at 6 am every morning to save your spot at the pool and or beach. The beach is only a five minute walk on a clean walkway to pools and beach. If you don't get up to save your spot there is always the option of renting a lounger and ripped umbrella for $5.00 each. The beach itself was beautiful, but the water was dark brown and full of sea weed and rocks. There is a whole in the sand on beach line that pumps out dirty brown water that comes from the lagoon, (so they say). It stunk and it looked awful. There is no butler service on the beach unless you stay in the platinum side which is roped off. The line ups to the beach bar and food bar were very long. Most of your beach view from the Palapas is obstructed by vendors that are set up in tiny huts. Lots of shade and felt a bit crowded with Palapas so close to each other.
Massages on the beach are a must and what a great price for one hour ($40.00) The pools need to be cleaned more often and pay more attention to upkeep. Dirty tiles and dirty water.

The restaurants all easy access and are spread out between lobby down to beach. The food is average and not so good service. There are a few restaurants included in your stay. We ate at the Miso (Japanese style) and Hacienda (Mexican style). Both had great service and very good food. Make sure you tip in there as they work much harder to keep your drinks full then inside the Al La carte. Be careful when walking in restaurants as floors are slippery.

The gym was ok, but still very busy in the morning and not enough machines or weights. the spa is gorgeous and they give you a 50% off coupon if used in the first 24 hours.

The evening entertainment is A++ along with the bar service and drinks.

The rooms are also A++ However, the beds are double not queen and hard. At any rate, I come for the beach and don't spend much time in my room. We stayed in a standard room #1045 on ground floor and found it to be a perfect location between lobby and beach. The swim out suites look great, but your kids have to be older then 18 to book in those rooms.

We took $20.00 dollar taxi to 5th ave in Playa Del Carmen and had a blast. My husband and oldest son went to Coco Bongo and really enjoyed their night. They also went snorkelling and said it was fantastic.

All in all, the rooms and hotel itself are beautiful and entertaining and yes I would give a 4 star. However, the beach and pools need lots of work so I give it a 3 star. I have been to Playa Del Carmen 7 times and still prefer Catalonia Playa Maroma. Best beach, pool and service hands down.

Room Tip: Any room is a good choice. They are all clean and new with large bathrooms, free use of safe fully...
1 Thank FitMom68
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
27.2 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
28.3 km away
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!