“Great adventure”

Manzano's Expeditions
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Our guide was very knowledgeable, it was an awesome trip...

1  Thank chinkygal

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Our guide, Manuel was the most magnificent guide. He arrived in Tullum from Mexico City, nearly 20 years ago, for a couple of weeks and loved the place so much he stayed. He is an expert at identifying all the native flora and fauna and seems to know everything there is to know about the local Mayan history and culture. He says his English is not good, but that is probably all relative to his own personal high standards. His English is fantastic, but we were able to help him add a few extra words to his vocabulary including, murky and demise.

We snorkelled in the Lagoon at Akumal and Manuel was brilliantly encouraging to our 10 year old daughter who had never snorkelled before. We saw many beautiful species of fish and also spotted a turtle even though the conditions were not conducive for turtle spotting at the mouth of the lagoon.

He then took us to a small cenote off the beaten track. It was more like a caving expedition than we had expected. With our wetsuits still on we walked through the jungle and descended some steps into a the cave system. We then walked, swam and snorkelled our way through the caves to the cenote opening. An experience that we will never forget and something very special and unique.

We then departed for the Ruins at Coba where again Manuel was the font of all knowledge and he had timed our visit to perfection as we were some of the last visitors that day and found ourselves alone at the top of the main Temple with the sun beginning to set.

If you want a unique experience that feels vey special and completely different to the normal touristy tours then this is the company for you. Our 15 year old son was even impressed and that is saying something!

Thank you Manuel and also thanks to Rodrigo who drove us between all the sites.

Reviewed September 30, 2011

Okay so actually my boyfriend, David, and I have been on a tour with Manuel of Manzanos Expeditions twice. Once in August 2008 and once in August 2010. And just now I'm writing a review! Well basically we had such a great time hanging out with Manuel the first time, we went back and hooked up with him again!

In 2008 Manuel picked us up at 9am (and I had a gnarly hangover) and we visited Yal-Ku lagoon to practice snorkeling. That place was quite pretty and tranquil. Then we headed over to a private cenote where we hung out for a while with the Mayan family that lived there, before we headed down into an underground cave and cenote. We went snorkeling in the dark with flashlights, there were bats, and it was so cool! You'd be in the dark and then all of a sudden you come upon an opening in the ground with the sun shining down onto the crystal clear water. Nice!

Then in 2010, we visited Akumal where I finally saw a sea turtle!!! Then we headed to the ruins of Coba before finishing up at Dos Ojos cenote. Manuel is a great person, super smart and knowledgeable about everything you are visiting. I now consider Manuel a friend. He won't let you down.

Reviewed September 22, 2011

Manuel was fantastic! He took us on two trips--one was a family trip with old and young. The other trip was just my wife and I. Both were wonderful! You can't go wrong. I will call Manzano's everytime I visit Mexico.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 20, 2011

If you feel adventurous and want to experience the best time of your life, then Tulum with Manzano's is a must. Just spent a great week in Tulum but the tours with our knowledgeable, friendly, and fun guides, Manu and Vanessa, were definitely the highlight of the holiday. We went snorkeling in Yal-ku lagoon where we saw hundreds of colorful fish, sea urchins, anemones, and we even got to see a colorful squid. Little I knew that it was nothing compared to what came after. The mind-blowing Santa Cruz cenote is out of this world. Whilst snorkling in a cenote can be scary and exciting at the same time, I always felt very safe with our guides. We also went to Dos Ojos, another cenote where you can snorkle into a bat cave, which is a lot of fun and adventurous. I will definitely return for some more!