“Excellent day out to Coba and Punta Laguna with Manzanos”
Review of Manzano's Expeditions - CLOSED

Manzano's Expeditions
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We recently visited the Coba ruins and the monkey reserve at Punta Laguna. We had an excellent day out with Vanessa as our guide to both attractions. We were lucky enough to see several spider and howler monkeys at the reserve. Vanessa was very knowlegable about both sites.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

In February I went with Manuel of Manzanos tours on a guided snorkel tour in the lagoon at Akamal near Tulum. I have snorkelled all over the Mediterranean and also on the coral reef at Phi Phi in Thailand but nowhere have I seen so many different fish. Although it is possible to snorkel independantly there is no way that I would have found the sights that Manuel showed me. We swam over deep gorges where the freshwater springs merged with the sea water, we went through shallow channels in the mangroves and finally we went out to the coral reef. Manuel pointed out fish such as Moray eels,Barracuda,Sting Rays and Parrot Fish all of which I would have missed if I had been on my own. Manuel is a superb guide, incredibly patient and very knowledgeable. Not only is he able to identify the fish species he is an ecologist who is conversant with all the wildlife and fauna in the region. He speaks excellant English and is also very knowledgeable about the Mayan history. On our return to Tulum we went down one of the cenote;s (sink holes) which are all over the area.These are basically deep caves which are full of water in which it is possible to swim and snorkel .Manuel explained how these are formed and and pointed out the fish and bird species which were down there. This really was an excellant trip which was the highlight of an amazing holiday.

1  Thank Timothy R
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Our guide was very knowledgeable, it was an awesome trip...

1  Thank chinkygal
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Our guide, Manuel was the most magnificent guide. He arrived in Tullum from Mexico City, nearly 20 years ago, for a couple of weeks and loved the place so much he stayed. He is an expert at identifying all the native flora and fauna and seems to know everything there is to know about the local Mayan history and culture. He says his English is not good, but that is probably all relative to his own personal high standards. His English is fantastic, but we were able to help him add a few extra words to his vocabulary including, murky and demise.

We snorkelled in the Lagoon at Akumal and Manuel was brilliantly encouraging to our 10 year old daughter who had never snorkelled before. We saw many beautiful species of fish and also spotted a turtle even though the conditions were not conducive for turtle spotting at the mouth of the lagoon.

He then took us to a small cenote off the beaten track. It was more like a caving expedition than we had expected. With our wetsuits still on we walked through the jungle and descended some steps into a the cave system. We then walked, swam and snorkelled our way through the caves to the cenote opening. An experience that we will never forget and something very special and unique.

We then departed for the Ruins at Coba where again Manuel was the font of all knowledge and he had timed our visit to perfection as we were some of the last visitors that day and found ourselves alone at the top of the main Temple with the sun beginning to set.

If you want a unique experience that feels vey special and completely different to the normal touristy tours then this is the company for you. Our 15 year old son was even impressed and that is saying something!

Thank you Manuel and also thanks to Rodrigo who drove us between all the sites.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Okay so actually my boyfriend, David, and I have been on a tour with Manuel of Manzanos Expeditions twice. Once in August 2008 and once in August 2010. And just now I'm writing a review! Well basically we had such a great time hanging out with Manuel the first time, we went back and hooked up with him again!

In 2008 Manuel picked us up at 9am (and I had a gnarly hangover) and we visited Yal-Ku lagoon to practice snorkeling. That place was quite pretty and tranquil. Then we headed over to a private cenote where we hung out for a while with the Mayan family that lived there, before we headed down into an underground cave and cenote. We went snorkeling in the dark with flashlights, there were bats, and it was so cool! You'd be in the dark and then all of a sudden you come upon an opening in the ground with the sun shining down onto the crystal clear water. Nice!

Then in 2010, we visited Akumal where I finally saw a sea turtle!!! Then we headed to the ruins of Coba before finishing up at Dos Ojos cenote. Manuel is a great person, super smart and knowledgeable about everything you are visiting. I now consider Manuel a friend. He won't let you down.