“Nice, friendly dive shop who really know the area”
Review of MOTMOT DIVING

MOTMOT DIVING
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer personalized cavern, cave and reef tours for beginners, advanced, technical and full cave divers. We also provide fun snorkeling tours to cenotes and reefs to see turtles and lots of other marine life. For those wanting to learn more we offer a full range of courses from PADI, IANTD and NACD. Our qualified multilingual staff will recommend a large selection of diving and snorkelling equipment available for sale and rental. We hope to see you soon enjoying the day with us…!!!
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I'd recommend this place, without a doubt. I walked in off the street thinking of setting up a dive the next day or whenever. Julia was friendly and helpful and Marc was available to take me that same afternoon. I'm Advanced Open Water certified but had never been cavern diving, and Marc was great in helping me set up my gear and briefing me for the cenotes, which are a different experience altogether from open water. We did two dives: one in Gran Cenote and one in the Temple of Doom. My only complaint was this (and this applies to any cenote diving in the area): we were diving quite late in the day and the sun goes down early. I was actually quite chilly during both dives, and being cold can really hang up your enjoyment of diving. I wish they'd anticipated this and given me a thicker wetsuit. If you are accustomed to ocean diving, you should consider this when planning a dive in this area, because fresh water is colder than salt water and there is less light.
On balance though, these people are the right combination of relaxed and safety-conscious. Marc brought water and snacks and was good company in the van. I'd definitely dive with them again. Oh and also you get a tasty pastry from the cafe next door while you wait!

Reviewed 1 March 2012

The friendly staff, quality gear, and awesome dive sites added up to a great time. So good, I actually went twice. The dive masters (David and Marc) were knowledgeable and fun, sharing plenty of background and experience. They also have a great bakery next door. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I did a PADI Open Water Diver course and a cenote dive with Motmot, and I enjoyed every minute of my time with them. Both were organized in a very professional way and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Marc was my instructor for the course and I must say he is one of the best instructors I have ever seen across all sports that I do. He was very attentive and helpful and the training that he gave was extremely thorough. The Dos Ojos cenote dive was also very well organized and a lot of fun too! I do recommend Motmot to anyone looking for scuba diving training or cenote diving in Tulum.

1  Thank Nadia N
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I went on a whim to go dive cenotes with my girlfriend. When I got to the Motmot shop we were greeted by a staff that made us feel very welcome. Marc was assigned to be our dive master and took great care of us. My girlfriend did a discovery dive, and despite her being very inexperienced and nervous, Marc took great care to make sure she felt safe and she had a great time. Later on that day we went on a cave dive at Gran Cenote and it was an amazing experience.

Thanks to Marc and Ramon and the whole Motmot team - highly recommended.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

From the minute you make a reservation, to the end of the day farewells, every detail of Motmot's dive operation is incredibly organized, professional, staffed with knowledgeable, English speaking employees and extremely personable, skilled, and safety minded dive masters. Their prices are very reasonable for all the excellent services and special touches delivered. And they will create any kind of dive package to suit your wishes – including arranging a special photographer’s cenote dive class (which I want to take next time!)

We bought a 3 cenote dive package that started in the morning with a fresh, warm, HUGE croissant and a delicious cup of coffee from the Motmot Bakery next door. Then our personal equipment was thoroughly checked by the staff (we bring our own equipment with us). My personal dive computer had stopped working, so Roman and Rodrigo retrofitted my kit to fit a shop console, and then tested it to make sure everything worked perfectly. Though we didn’t use anything but their dive console, I noticed that all of their rental equipment was in excellent condition and from quality brands including Aqualung and Tusa, etc.

Rodrigo was the highly skilled, cave certified dive master who drove us to the dive sights, and guided just the two of us on our 3 dives in, “The Pit, Dos Ojos (the Barbi Line) and Dos Ojos (the Bat Cave). Rodrigo’s manner was easy and fun, but he was extremely professional and gave the best dive site briefing and the most thorough pre-dive, in water equipment check I’ve EVER seen anywhere in the world (he did this for each of us before every dive). His English is pretty good, making communication way easier for us non-Spanish speaking gringos (even as he took my husband to task over a teensy leak he detected on his computer hose!)

Of course, the cenotes were beautiful and something every diver should should try to do, but our experience was made all the better because of this great dive operation. They even packed us delicious sandwiches made of brie and ham on fresh baguettes from their bakery. Yum!

We highly recommend Motmot Diving for your cenote diving in the Tulum area. We are looking forward to trying them the next time we are in Tulum for reef diving.

3  Thank Uphilldeb