“Excellent quality experience in nature”
Review of Yucatan Outdoors

Yucatan Outdoors
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are committed to nurture and protect this sacred space through education, inspiration and sustainable tourism. We are a Mexican specialist outdoor adventure company that offers inspiring wilderness experiences. Escape into the beautiful remote regions of the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), with experienced guides leading you and providing you an outstanding outdoor experience. Sea Kayak courses - Kayak Adventures - Coral Reef Snorkel Trips- Wilderness Expeditions - Birdwatching Tours - Biking Trips - Natural Photography.
Reviewed March 27, 2016 via mobile

I can't say enough positive things about my kayaking trip and the Yucatan Outdoor staff. I arranged this tour through my hotel (Posada Luna del Sur). My tour had a total of 4 people, my friend and another couple. Our tour started at 1:30pm. First thing was a quick dip in a cenote near the entrance of Sian Ka'an. No one else was at the cenote. It was so refreshing on a hot day. Then we went to their base camp where they had water (bring your own plastic bottle and they can fill it for u)' composting toilet, shower, snacks, hats. If you burn easily bring long sleeve shirt and biodegradable sunscreen. Alternatively you can use the Mayan clay to create a physical barrier from the sun.

I am a super beginner kayaker,and our guide Ricardo was a great teacher and very laid back. There's the option to use a 1 or 2 person kayak. They provided life jackets and the equipment is good quality. The area we went to is not very deep in water, which is great because there's no boats around to disturb the tranquil area. There's something so special about seeing nature when it's quiet and no people around, it's quite a rare and unique experience nowadays. Ricardo was very knowledgeable about the area plants and animals. It felt like a safari, but in mangroves. While kayaking, if you need to go to the bathroom or need to stretch, Ricardo is very accommodating. He even takes some pictures that they email you later. There were also snacks provided. And if you need to bring something with you and keep it dry, you can borrow a dry bag. When we got back, they made one of my best meals in tulum. They accommodate vegetarians too.

Yucatan Outdoors is so committed to showing people the beauty of Sian Ka'an and work really hard to try to protect the reserve. This isn't easy, as just outside of the reserve is a row of fancy resorts that would love nothing more than to develop the area. The staff of YO live at their base camp and people can come camp. They seem very accommodating of other excursion requests too. I am so grateful I got to see the beauty of the Yucatan outside of the touristy areas and get some great exercise!

1  Thank airamyh
in 9 reviews
"tamales"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed March 24, 2016

Antonio, Jessica and Ricardo are the most welcoming, genuine and knowledgable hosts we've ever had. They think about all details of your trip so you can have a great experience from beginning to end. They also provide great quality snorkeling and kayaking gear, unlike many other tours in Tulum. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Reviewed March 20, 2016

Everything about this experience was well thought out and excellent. The kayaking itself was superb, and the team uses good quality equipment. The dinner at the end was also very good indeed.

Reviewed March 17, 2016

We stayed with Yucatan Outdoors (YO) in December. We wanted to get away from the hubbub and have a sense of what the Yucatan peninsula was like before all of the development.

Jessica was very responsive via email and fielded any questions I had before hand. We even paid via paypal, which was nice.

We drove to Sian Ka’an and Jessica let us know what to say to the man at the entrance since YO covers entrance fees. The road was a definitely a bit bumpy, but if you drive slowly you should be fine even in a small car. There is another campsite next door to YO. Go a bit past this one and you will see a little fence with gate to enter the YO site.

We stayed for two nights. We were expecting pretty primitive camping, but there were quite a few amenities (outdoor shower, composting toilet, bed in the tent). We really enjoyed walking around barefoot, viewing the lagoon across the street, YO's cats and dogs, and going down to the beach (you pretty much have it to yourself). The site itself is in the jungle and is very beautiful. The major downsides were the mosquitos and that it was bit hot and muggy at night. Again, you are camping the jungle, so that is to be expected. If you don’t like camping then this is probably not the best place for you to overnight. You can still do their excursions though. :)

Antonio, Jessica, and the crew made wonderful home cooked meals from all natural ingredients. The meals were very healthy. Everyone there was great and very knowledgeable about the area’s history, flora, and fauna. We really enjoyed talking to them and learned so much.

We also took the evening kayak trip in the lagoon. We kayaked through mangroves and to islands in the lagoon. YO is very careful to not disturb the animals and really respects them unlike some of the motorized boats operators in the Sian Ka’an. The sunset was also stunning. There were a ton of birds too. My favorites were the roseate spoonbills and the frigates who had their red gular pouches inflated.

This was definitely the best part of our trip, and I think it was a more unique and genuine experience than you will get in a lot of other places. I would do it again.