All reviewsbeautiful beachlack of electrical outletsguacamoleyoga classes in the morninglaid backfriendly dogsspent five nightssand floorhoney moonbring a flashlightlovely propertysea view roomtraveling soloboca pailasingle bedrelaxing weekshrimp tacos
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Ocelote bungalow for two nights in Nov of 2010. The staff was nice, but the bungalow gave off a dirty vibe.

The only thing I need to say about this place is bedbugs. My feet and legs were covered with the most painful bites after our stay here. I mentioned this to the reception desk, and they tried to tell me they were some other sort of bite, but having had bedbug bites before from the dirtiest hotel in NYC (Hotel Carter), I knew what they were. We changed to the Om Tulum, which was much nicer (and bedbug free!). Stay at your own risk.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LCSF
Reviewed July 20, 2011

This place is incredible if you want to get away from the world. It feels like it is in the middle of no-where and that's just fine with me.

Tulum and in particular this accommodation is about a 2 hour drive away from the airport. We got transport with Best Day Travel who dropped us off and picked as up for about $100. Well worth using them if you're going to Tulum and don't fancy public transport. We were here for 5 days and had good intentions on venturing out abd about about after a long road trip in the US we did not venture very far, but I understand the ruins are about a 15/20 minute drive down the coastal road. There are noit many other restaurants nearby other than some along the beach. Zebra had yummy food.

Dos Ceibas is a fantastic little place made up of about 15 stone cabanas. They are rustic and will not be to everyone's taste but if you prefer something a little more natural, without a TV/aircon and can deal with the odd insect then I really recommend this place. The location and beach is just stunning. The cabanas are set back from the beach and surrounding by vegetation (hence the insects). They are individually decorated in bright colours, have their own bathroom, electricity after dusk (usually turned off during the day) and a fan for the hot nights. Some of the beds are suspended from the roof beams and covered with a mosquito net, so it can feel like you are at sea sometimes. Suggest bringing a torch for the night time as it gets very dark about.

Breakfast is not included but is reasonably priced. You can get fresh juice, fruit, eggs cooked in various ways and yoghurt. The coffee was delicious! The biggest disappointment with this place is the dinners which aren't great for the price. The service was also really slow as there was only one cook but didn't mind waiting so much given the location and there really is nothing else to do. If they could have improved on the food this place would have a got a 5 stars from me.

This is an eco friendly place that cares about its footprint and it's a great place to stay. It is a little far away from anything else so be prepared for that, or just do what we did and don't move for 5 days!

Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank clouds111
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We have come to Dos Ceibas for the past 3 years. Each year I've brought a group of students for a yoga retreat. The staff at Dos Ceibas takes great care of us! The food is wonderful, the rooms comfortable and the beaches spectacular. We're booked again for 2012!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank momijhung
Reviewed June 8, 2011

This is a bungalgo-style eco-beach hotel that seems fairly typical of other places you will find along the beach strip in Tulum. Our bungalo was clean and comfortable, although you have to realize that you will be staying in a place that uses wind/solar power and you will not have air conditioning (you get a ceiling fan and floor fan).. The restauraunt is supposed to be terrific, although it was a bit pricey for us, so we stuck to the taco stands in town. The beach is from a dream, and if there is more pristine, sugary sand and gently crashing bathwater warm ocean somewhere in the world, I can't imagine it. There are lots of cool little features like a Maya sweatlodge and yoga on the beach...overall, a very laid-back "hippie" vibe....not cheap enough for backpackers, but probably too "basic" for those lookin for the Cancun resort experience. Get to the ruins down the road! No pool, and wifi if you sit near the lobby.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank folkart-films
Reviewed May 30, 2011

This is a quintessentially Yucatan experience. The hotel consists of circular structures of thatch and adobe/stucco typical of the vernacular architecture of the Yucatan. Visit the website and you will see several vivid examples: the outdoor thatched dining area with a spectacular view of the Caribbean; the individual brightly painted bungalows each with its own individual charms visible inside and out; and many pretty objects and details carefully chosen by the on-site owner and manager of this small well-run hotel. Beautiful vegetation and exotic birds! The staff is friendly and courteous. My husband and I have stayed as Dos Ceibas twice and look forward to returning as soon as we are able! It's a trek from the California Bay Area but well worth it.

Room Tip: Kuculcan, Iguana & Ocelote are all nice
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple