All reviews beautiful beach guacamole yoga classes in the morning laid back friendly dogs spent five nights sand floor honey moon lovely property sea view room traveling solo relaxing week both directions continental breakfast is shrimp tacos palm trees sound of the waves
Reviewed December 18, 2008

A group of us stayed at Posada dos Ceibas dec 1-6, 2008 and out of 10 of us...everyone loved it. Now many of us are middle aged North American women that usually are big resort people (with our husbands) and aren't world travellers so it was an adventure to step out of the box and go to a small eco resort.
The amenities are the beach and the food. You never have to fight for a spot on the beach.5 star food...seriously. They serve a shrimp cocktail in a tall Sundae glass that must have 25 big fresh shrimp and fresh salsa for 8 bucks!! Its a meal in itself...I still have dreams about it. :-)The rooms are simple and clean. They are a true Eco resort. Power is solar. The owner is a committed enviromentalist and is concerned about the footprint her hotel leaves...hence no hairdryers...what a price to pay for staying on the most beautiful stretch of beach in the world. There were a couple of girls concerned about their hair but a few days of paradise and they forgot all about it...plus they had more time for tai chi on the beach! They also don't charge you for drinking water! Every other place gouges you for a glass of water! I hate that...They have stopped the swinging beds from swinging but I was lucky enough to get the one that stills swings in the Mariposa room. I loved it...it made me laugh...I felt like a kid.
Yes the kitchen does shut down from 3- 7:00 but they serve drinks all day . The cooks work from 7am to 10pm each day. Its Mexico ...they siesta!!! Go to the beach ...order a cold beer, Pina Colada or Marguerita...I did...hehe If you are starving there are a million restaraunts in the area. Posada dos Ceibas is basically a family run place. Not fancy..but I stayed at Ana y Jose for 5 days before Posada dos Ceibas and was served expensive burnt cold food and paid for drinking water...same beach...three times the price. The rooms are nicer but i didn't feel at "home".
WE ate at a couple of the fancier restaruants in the area and the food at PDC was far above anywhere else. Try the chil rellanos, chicken tacos...any of the fish... chicken poblano mole...shrimp cocktail...OMG...I want to go back....
My thanks and love to Elvira, Tauro, Eli, Carlos, Nester, Alexa, Giovanna & Carolina -Rocky & Rumba too!

Stayed: December 2008
3  Thank DKozoriz
Reviewed December 14, 2008

Staying in a cabana anywhere on the beach in Tulum is an incredible experience. At Dos Ceibas in particular, because of the remote location, you will find yourself enjoying both jungle and beach in a peaceful, serene setting. I stayed in cabana #3 for one night and it was beautiful! It was November, so the heat wasn't a problem, but at night you have a ceiling fan and floor fan to keep you cool. I always had steaming hot water (a little salty though) and didn't experience any insect problems. Electricity is on from 6pm to 6am, which was sufficient. During the day, you have candles. Although there are no outlets in the cabanas, you can charge your electronics at reception as well as connect to their wifi (for a daily fee).

I also stayed in cabana #8, which is the cheapest of the 8 rooms. Beware of the snake holes outside the door - I saw a large snake slither out of one! Another "feature" of this cabana is that the bathroom is about 25 paces away, which isn't a big deal during the day. But in the dark evening hours, this might instill fear in the bravest of travelers! It might have just been an oversight by the staff that day, but they didn't light any candles along the path. So between the cave like darkness and the memories of that snake, I nearly had a panic attack just trying to stumble my way to the bathroom. My advice? Bring a flashlight!!! And some bug spray wouldn't hurt. Once I finally did make it to the toilet, a HUGE Tailess Whip Scorpion greeted me.

The food is excellent, they provide an endless supply of purified drinking water, credit cards are accepted and the staff is very friendly. I'd stay here again (with a flashflight!).

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank DRPMpls
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Although we were booked at Luna Maya (see my review on that one), we opted to spend our first night in Tulum at Dos Ceibas. I can assure you, that if it weren't for the "no refund" policy at Luna Maya we would certainly have spent our entire stay at Dos Ceibas. We stayed in Mariposa (not sure if I would have been up for the infamous swinging beds). The beds were extremely comfortable, the beach was magnificent and I would say the best in Tulum. We were warmly welcomed by Esmeralda, and Carolina was wonderful and efficient. The setting is extremely romantic, particularly at night when the entire area is candlelit . We had the Dos Ceibas fish for dinner and it is truly memorable, It speaks volumes about the quality of the kitchen.
A caveat - don't expect consistently hot showers or 24 hour electricity anywhere in this area but believe me, I really wouldn't trade the ambience for these minor inconveniences.
Many of the the beach cabanas in Tulum are seriously misrepresented but I would say that, for us, Dos Ceibas really delivered. I imagine the complaints about the swinging beds might be legitimate though, particularly after a few margheritas, however, the front unit beds are on terra firma and we look forward to a lengthier stay next time.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank partiof1
Reviewed April 21, 2008

Our stay at Dos Ceibas was a success. It's on the best stretch of beach there is in Tulum, other than the part within the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve.

We stayed two nights in Bungalow 8, Cocodrilo, the "budget" room. It was very nice and quite cool - we didn't need the fan even though we were there during a heat wave. The bathroom (which was detached) was very cramped but very clean. There wasn't always hot water, though.

For our last night we stayed in #7, Zarigueya. The ensuite bathroom lacked privacy, but otherwise the cabana was great. We enjoyed the hammocks on the porch.

The staff was friendly and very helpful, although a bit overwhelmed at times. The "casual" food on the lunch/dinner menu (tacos, etc.) was mediocre but the dinner entrees, although a bit expensive even by Canadian standards, were absolutely delicious. There were some really good deals on the breakfast menu.

Dos Ceibas is pretty far down the cabana strip, so be prepared to do lots of walking or pay for cabs. It wasn't a problem for us -- I thought the beauty of the beach far outweighed the remoteness -- but others might find it a hassle.

Others below have complained about mosquitos, roaches, not being able to flush the toilet paper, etc. These are not unique to Dos Ceibas -- no matter where you go in Mexico, you'll run into these tiny wrinkles. If they're not your scene, perhaps you'd be better off staying home or visiting another country.

The ruins and the reserve are both definitely worth checking out.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank flipagain
Reviewed April 14, 2008

I'm puzzled by some of the reviews here. My adult children and I had a wonderful time at Posada Dos Ceibas. Having stayed in a many a Marriott, Hilton, or Best Western, we were thrilled with the charm of this Yucatecan spot. This place was glorious, with little bungalows with thatched roofs, mosquito netting over the beds and beautiful bright colored stucco. We walked in soft (immaculately clean) white sand to the reception/restaurant and had several meals there, overlooking the ocean. I became quite addicted to fish tacos and beer with lime. Everyone there was most courteous and helpful. I sat for hours on the small balcony, mesmerized by the colors, the foliage, and the sounds of the birds. There was no need for electricity during the day (we were at the beach!) and the fact that the cleverly designed bathroom had no door didn't prevent us from giving us other privacy. All these unusual things contributed to our enjoyment, frankly, because we wanted to experience Mexico, not a predictable hotel. Our beds were stationary, so don't know if a floating bed would have bothered me.
Many thanks to Carolina who was so kind to us.

Stayed: March 2008