Review Highlights
A bit scary to hike there from Batopilas unaccompanied

Reviewed October 2, 2015
BHSCalifornia
California
An excursion outside of Batopilas

This is probably not worth a trip on it's own, but since you've already braved the Creel to... read more

Reviewed March 29, 2015
Todd2PS
Palm Springs, CA

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 17, 2017

My wife and I, with a small group of fellow travelers, hiked part way and rode by SUV part way from Batopilas. Gorgeous scenery en route. This fascinating neo-Gothic mission church dates back to the 17th century and has been restored. At the left is a glass coffin-like case with a figure of the crucified Christ, complete with stigmata. In the brick floor, look for rectangular patterns that reveal the burials of priests below the church, and also the sub-floor grave of Martina V. de Ontiveros (1881), presumably a patroness of the church. Admission is free, but a donation is appreciated.

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed March 15, 2016 via mobile

Easy enough walk from Batopilas, it's downriver along the road which isn't flat, but gradual. I didn't expect to find anything in Satevo but there's a small community including tiendas for cookies or water. The church was locked when we got there but a little boy ran after us and a woman came out to open the door and give a brief tour, and we gave her a donation.

Date of experience: March 2016
Reviewed March 13, 2016 via mobile

This place has been restored poorly and I'll maintained. Nonetheless, it is a must see in Batopilas if not for anything but the age and history of the place.

Date of experience: March 2016
Reviewed November 21, 2015

This one is newer and better maintained than some, other than that it's the same old - same old from one village to another. You really have to love missions - and be able to look past what the Spanish and their religious fervor did to the indigenous culture and people in order to get all these missions. Still it is a part of history I guess.

Date of experience: May 2015
Reviewed October 2, 2015

My driver to Batopilas told me that I could easily hike to the "cathedral" and that it would take about an hour only from the Real de Minas Hotel. Well, the sun and heat were relentlessly baking this lonesome wanderer. Having heard so much about assaults and kidnappings, I did not feel very safe whenever rock fell on the dirt road from the cliffs above or when local people came walking toward me. But I finally made it to the church.
It took me more like an hour and twenty minutes to get there. The views, however, are fantastic. The church is beautifully embedded into the natural surroundings. The interior of the church was a bit disappointing. It lacks the gold and silver you would see in other churches dating back to colonial days.

Date of experience: September 2015