“Be cautious - not gel nails!”
Review of Laja Spa

Laja Spa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Paying tribute to the magnificent Laja River that flows through the mountains in the north and fills the San Miguel Lake, the Laja Spa is a haven of purification and rejuvenation. We offer these treatments in three beautiful air conditioned colonial style treatment rooms.
Reviewed 21 January 2017 via mobile

I requested a gel polish. Was told they only had one person who did that. Fine. So I returned an hour later as agreed. Waited another 15 minutes for gal to arrive and get set up. I was dubious as I watched the preparatory steps, as the application brush seemed stiff. When the first coat of colour was applied I was more dubious as the colour seemed thick and uneven. Was assured the next coat would fix that. When it as still lumpy on a couple of nails, she filed it down. When final coat was applied two nails looked OK. Then the dried out brush started again. Again assured it would be OK. I was beyond assurances when first hand was removed from the lights. I refused to accept the finish. She did not remove new finish with acetone, but filed them down again. As I was now an hour late for a lunch appointment, I left without a polish application. My nails are now rough, thin and splitting due to excessive filing. The gal who did the application was very pleasant but had old, dried out materials with which to work. As I was leaving I was essentially told that I should not have requested gel polish. I would suggest that they should just say that they do not do gel nails.

3  Thank janecoad

Reviewed 20 June 2016

I had hoped to have a great experience with a massage and facial. Well read the other reviews and mine and see how limited and disappointing this place is. Although they market the 'spa" as full serice- hardly is the word to describe this. Facial was so limited - no cleansing only creams and lotions that i could do myself. The showqer is a space with a shower but used for all kinds of spa activities with buckets in it. Hot water valve leaking scalding water . So if you are looking for what you think is a day of pampering and have had other spa experiences, you will not like this place. go to another place that is highly recommended. LAJA clean up your act if you wish to intice clients for S'pa" service" as you will not be popular after these many reviews. One note the lady who assisted me with facial and massage was nice person and wished to be helpful but limitations are limitations and at this price go elsewhere

2  Thank Judith A
Reviewed 27 February 2016 via mobile

Terrible experience! Arrived at 6:30 for a 50 min Laja massage (deep tissue/reflexology/aromatherapy). Offered water, signed paperwork and waited in the waiting area for a few minutes. The massage table was not terribly comfortable and room cold. Mediocre technique with NO reflexology, minimal work to neck and shoulder areas and she did not even touch feet or hands. It was a glorified body oil application. Shower broken, so had to put clothes on all oily. After dressing I checked the time it was 7:15! There was NO WAY that was a 50min massage. I pointed this out to the masseuse who insisted it had been 50 min. I showed her the clock and she still insisted it had been 50 min. After speaking someone on the phone, because no manager was there, they gave 15% off. I was supposed to return tomorrow for a pedicure but will not be coming back!!

1  Thank rebswifty16
Reviewed 27 November 2015

My husband and I at the Casa de Sierra Nevada and booked a massage and facial at Laja., The location and rooms are excellent atmosphere is tranquil and relaxing. We were handed bath robes and went upstairs to a beautiful setting. The person who worked on my started with the body scrub which I will say was fair, the massage was poor no pressure applied and she just lightly rubbed my back and shoulders. Then it was time for my facial. She just applied about 3 different creams not even explaining what they were, there was no steam, no extractions or skin analysis. To be honest I could not wait until it was over as I was very uncomfortable lying on my back. I expected more as the price was not reasonable. I would not return for treatments there but definitely stay at Casa de Sierra Nevada anytime!!

1  Thank Alba S
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 July 2015

I found this spa on on trip advisor and after reading reviews decided to schedule a spa pedi and traditional mani. Lets start with the good. Gaby was my pedi tech and really took her time to give me what I expected to be above and beyond a basic pedicure. The atmosphere was very relaxing and very comfortable.

However, for the cost of the service I expected a little more attention to detail. Perhaps offered a beverage. There was not much in the way of color options or gel, which is what I wanted. My mani tech did a dry manicure.There was no soaking of the nail beds so when she went to push and cut cuticles it was a little painful. Actually there was no pushing back of cuticles just cutting. She never cleaned my hands or had be wash them after removing previous polish. Strange and a first for me. I was very disappointing with the mani service.

2  Thank wanaBworldtaveler