“Decent stop along the road”
Review of Patok Cave

Reviewed November 6, 2017

From town, you'll have to cross the Nam Ou bridge and continue up the road for about 2 miles through the winding roads. You'll eventually see a sign for the caves on the right. Entrance fee is 10,000 kip per person. There isn't a whole lot to see, but the surrounding area is beautiful. The cave itself is bigger than I imagined, but they can be explored in a matter of minutes. This is not a must-do activity, but if you're passing through, I'd recommend stopping by. The history of the site is interesting enough.

All reviews
"bombs"
in 3 reviews
"villagers"

Reviewed September 22, 2017

Its a lovely walk from town to the caves, and an interesting experience when you get there, and an important part of the history of the country. Not hugely exciting but a pleasant experience overall.

Reviewed April 10, 2017

For historical value, this is a place you should visit. A shelter for the villagers during the secret war. It is a sobering though and you could imagine what people had to do to survive during those times. It is as a previous reviewer said, "a couple of rooms" in a cave. The off-putting part was the kid who was creeping me out by following us into every dark cave corner and turning on his flashlight. He didn't say a word but kept shadowing my husband when I tried to lose him. I turned around once and he was right behind me and I jumped! I heard of the kids who wanted money for a "tour." I don't fault him for trying to make some cash but I feel they should offer it up front and not try to hustle you when you're trying to see in a dark cave. When I came out to the entrance, I saw the same kid hanging out with the ticket guy. They're probably in cahoots.

Reviewed March 27, 2017

Our guide brought us here for a short visit when we arrived in Nong Khiaw and explained how a thousand people had taken shelter in these caves to escape the American bombs in the secret war. I found it difficult to imagine what it must have been like for the people hiding here sometimes only venturing out at night to tend their crops.
It was a quiet isolated peaceful place.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 15, 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed the cave although it's fairly small. Paid 5,000 kip each to get in at which point the lady warns you that you do not need a guide and there will be a guy waiting there and to tell him "no money no guide" . The guy was nice and didn't tell us he was a guide he just followed us so there wasn't an opportunity to say no without being a little rude. Anyways he showed us a few things we wouldn't have noticed and only asked for 5,000 kip.