Review Highlights
Interesting.

I was here in 2013 and the signs within the caves were much better now you have to pay 10,000 kip... read more

Reviewed February 10, 2018
Billy W
via mobile
Good for history

Reviewed April 10, 2017
Julie D
Allen, Texas

All reviews bamboo bridge vietnam war entrance fee lovely walk history shelter parts
Reviewed September 22, 2017

Its a lovely walk from town to the caves, and an interesting experience when you get there, and an important part of the history of the country. Not hugely exciting but a pleasant experience overall.

Date of experience: February 2017
Reviewed April 10, 2017

For historical value, this is a place you should visit. A shelter for the villagers during the secret war. It is a sobering though and you could imagine what people had to do to survive during those times. It is as a previous reviewer said, "a couple of rooms" in a cave. The off-putting part was the kid who was creeping me out by following us into every dark cave corner and turning on his flashlight. He didn't say a word but kept shadowing my husband when I tried to lose him. I turned around once and he was right behind me and I jumped! I heard of the kids who wanted money for a "tour." I don't fault him for trying to make some cash but I feel they should offer it up front and not try to hustle you when you're trying to see in a dark cave. When I came out to the entrance, I saw the same kid hanging out with the ticket guy. They're probably in cahoots.

Date of experience: April 2017
Reviewed March 27, 2017

Our guide brought us here for a short visit when we arrived in Nong Khiaw and explained how a thousand people had taken shelter in these caves to escape the American bombs in the secret war. I found it difficult to imagine what it must have been like for the people hiding here sometimes only venturing out at night to tend their crops.
It was a quiet isolated peaceful place.

Date of experience: February 2017
Reviewed March 15, 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed the cave although it's fairly small. Paid 5,000 kip each to get in at which point the lady warns you that you do not need a guide and there will be a guy waiting there and to tell him "no money no guide" . The guy was nice and didn't tell us he was a guide he just followed us so there wasn't an opportunity to say no without being a little rude. Anyways he showed us a few things we wouldn't have noticed and only asked for 5,000 kip.

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed March 13, 2017 via mobile

Two caves are available for you to explore, at the time of writing 10k Kip for both. The first cave is essentially a large "room" where lots of people hid during the Indochina war. The second cave is to the left of the first as you exit, just walk along a small path for 1 minute. This one is rawer and if you want to properly explore you'll need to get on your hands and knees!

Both caves can be visited in 30-60 minutes depending on your pace. I'm only rating 4 stars as there is little information about the caves itself, save for a couple of battered old signs that aren't very helpful. Also don't bother hiring a "guide" as the caves are so basic you don't need these guys to show you around. Bring a torch!

Date of experience: March 2017